Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Fremry posted:

Anybody have any 3DS recommendations? I'm really not into jrpgs or really most rpgs in general. I've played a bunch of the first party games (Star Fox, Kirby triple deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pilotwings, MK7, DK Returns). The OP in the 3DS thread isn't particularly helpful.

Senran Kagura Burst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Surlaw posted:

It's worth one dollar max, yeah. It feels like a "Build a Space Invaders game" class project that technically works but is absolutely flavorless. (It's up to $12 on PSN somehow now too)

Titan Attacks really just feels like a smartphone game. It has the same RPG-lite elements that every $0.99 iOS game feels the need to include in lieu of real depth. It is completely ridiculous that they're charging $10 for it, especially since you've easily been able to get all of Puppygames' back catalog on Steam for like $5 before during sales.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fremry posted:

I definitely hate the 3DS eShop. It's so hard to find anything.

Anybody have any 3DS recommendations? I'm really not into jrpgs or really most rpgs in general. I've played a bunch of the first party games (Star Fox, Kirby triple deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pilotwings, MK7, DK Returns). The OP in the 3DS thread isn't particularly helpful.

Majora's Mask.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, why would you not get Majora you drat fool

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

John Lee posted:

Yeah, but if you played DKC 1 and 2, it's an interesting and, to me, fun change of pace.

That game is poop, dogg.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like the gimmicks, DKC2 had a lot of gimmicks too.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
DKC2 is designed such that if you know what you're doing you can tear through most of the levels without stopping, and that's really satisfying.

A lot of the gimmicks in DKC3 are ones that force you to stop moving and wait.

I like DKC3 a lot and I think the whole cove setting or whatever it could be called is interesting. They do a lot of fun things with the game. But the level design in DKC2 is clearly far above either of the others.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I like the gimmicks in DKC3. They give the game its own personality and usually pretty neat. I'm not a fan of the underwater level with backwards controls though, but the lightning level is fun. DKC2 is still my favorite game though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
DKC2 is one of my favorite platformers of all time. DKC3 played well but it felt like a step in a really weird direction, primarily because Kiddy Kong exists. I'd have probably liked it a lot more if it was just Diddy and Dixie or if we actually got to play as Donkey Kong himself again.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, why would you not get Majora you drat fool

I'll probably get it, but I just played Wind Waker HD and A Link Between Worlds, so I need a little break from Zelda before I jump back in.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

All Frogs posted:

I like the gimmicks in DKC3. They give the game its own personality and usually pretty neat. I'm not a fan of the underwater level with backwards controls though, but the lightning level is fun. DKC2 is still my favorite game though.

I could deal with the backwards controls.

The Slow-mo stage was dumb though. And Purple Squawks can gently caress right off.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I could deal with the backwards controls.

The Slow-mo stage was dumb though. And Purple Squawks can gently caress right off.

I don't mind the slow-mo stage, but I can relate on purple Squawks though. He kinda sucked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I waited and waited for the DKC games and of course they come out after I promised myself I wouldn't spend money for a few weeks. Decisions, decisions.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

jivjov posted:

Oh I'm by no means ragging on DKC3 too hard; I love it. I have a VHS tape from when I was a kid where I taped myself beating all the bosses (oh god, I was going a Let's Play for an audience of 1...). It just feels a bit disconnected from 1 and 2 due to gimmick frenzy.

And, as other posters have pointed out, it DOES contain Kiddy Kong, which is... a hefty point against the game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Kiddy is cute and fun to control and plays very well, I don't see the problem. He's great as a playable character.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I like his idle animation where he pulls too hard on his footie, jerks backward, and slams his head into the ground.

Dixie can also ride him like a steel keg but I can't recall offhand a single instance where this is useful.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Discount Viscount posted:

DKC2 is designed such that if you know what you're doing you can tear through most of the levels without stopping, and that's really satisfying.

A lot of the gimmicks in DKC3 are ones that force you to stop moving and wait.

I like DKC3 a lot and I think the whole cove setting or whatever it could be called is interesting. They do a lot of fun things with the game. But the level design in DKC2 is clearly far above either of the others.

That absurd DKC2 flow makes it fun as hell to replay those levels whenever.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Philippines has been out of stock of New 3DSes since launch day, so I'm having someone purchase me a unit from Singapore. Can someone from Singapore verify for me whether or not a Singaporean 3DS can access the USA eshop?

Just to be clear--in case someone mentions region lockout--games purchased in SG and the UAE will work on NA 3DSes because they're just NA games repackaged without Club Nintendo codes. However, I'm not clear on whether the 3DSes themselves are also just repackaged NA 3DSes. If they are, that'll be great, since that means I can proceed as normal, but if the units themselves have firmware specific to Singapore, I need to tell my friend not to bother getting them, as Singapore doesn't have an eshop of its own.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Singapore takes systems from both NA and Japan so you'd wanna check the serial number before buying blindly, but if you get a system that plays NA games you'll be able to access the NA eShop, yeah.

EDIT: your NNID account is linked to one country, however, so if you already have a NNID locked to some other country you won't be able to use it to log into the US eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 27, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait, Singapore has a system that does dual region games? Or two versions of the same console and hell if I can imagine how would they know which games to buy?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

If I really like Mario Golf for 3DS are the dlc courses worth it? Like are the courses good or just more of the same.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, Singapore has a system that does dual region games? Or two versions of the same console and hell if I can imagine how would they know which games to buy?

They're not dual-region, no, they just import different systems from different regions. UAE is the same.

Haruharuharuko posted:

If I really like Mario Golf for 3DS are the dlc courses worth it? Like are the courses good or just more of the same.

They're remakes of specific courses from the N64 game, if that's something that matters to you.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're remakes of specific courses from the N64 game, if that's something that matters to you.

Good to know thanks!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Haruharuharuko posted:

They're well worth having if you want more golf. the last two are really difficult, but having 6 more 18-hole courses does a lot for the replay value of the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like these Donkey Kong Land games. I owned the original but had never played 2 or 3. They're basically solid NES style platformer games with good graphics and optional secrets to find. Not nearly as deep as the SNES versions, but they also cost about half as much.

In actually going through levels one at a time, then switching to the next game, and doing one level in that, then switching, etc in rotation. It's kind of interesting, and on the new 3DS really fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fremry posted:

I definitely hate the 3DS eShop. It's so hard to find anything.

Prof. Layton and the Azran Legacy, the Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini's games, if you like puzzley stuff

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're not dual-region, no, they just import different systems from different regions. UAE is the same.

Plus it adds some new characters including Nibbit, Toadette, and Rosalina.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Haruharuharuko posted:

I bought them all straightaway because I am OCD, but I do not regret it. They add a lot and all of the courses are well designed. Mario Golf 3DS really is the series at its peak. I played the holy loving hell out of Toadstool Tour on the GC and it took me over 100 tries to finish the TreeTop Birdie Challenge and unlock the last character, but this is the best one so far. It's complex and deep enough to be challenging and rewarding but not so much that it is tedious, obtuse and intimidating.

Mario Tennis 3D, on the other hand, was a disappointment. The gameplay is really shallow and predictable and it doesn't even feel like Tennis Lite. That is basically true for all of the Mario Tennis games, but since Gold was so good on the 3DS I was hoping for the same for tennis - I was wrong. Mario Golf is still the best sport-spinoff series, in my opinion. The one basketball game on DS was abysmal and Tennis always disappoints while baseball is a fairly good.

Oh, wait, I forgot about Strikers. The one for GC was amazingly fun, especially with some mates, and the Wii one was a disappointing step down. In any event, Mario Golf 3DS is very good and so is the DLC, if perhaps a bit dear.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm really excited to finally play Expand Dong Nation Triple, but what's the rad song in the trailer? Which was an awesome callback itself to Play It Loud.

Also, when are we getting 64?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm really excited to finally play Expand Dong Nation Triple, but what's the rad song in the trailer? Which was an awesome callback itself to Play It Loud.

Also, when are we getting 64?

That was Fear Factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18pEFQb3EM

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

precision posted:

Prof. Layton and the Azran Legacy, the Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini's games, if you like puzzley stuff

That's lik the 4th or 5th time I heard this, so I'm thinking Layton is gonna have to be the next game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Since I think this is still the defacto club Nintendo thread, I got an email saying a reward has been shipped, but I haven't ordered anything lately so I'm assuming its the smash soundtrack.

Woo!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Stan Taylor posted:

Since I think this is still the defacto club Nintendo thread, I got an email saying a reward has been shipped, but I haven't ordered anything lately so I'm assuming its the smash soundtrack.

I am entitled to one of those but haven't heard anything yet. Knowing me, I will never listen to it.

Not going to be until April, but I am holding onto my coins for the Gold and Platinum rewards. I just know that if I buy something I want now it will end up being a reward item come April. I know that Starfox 3D, which is at the top of my list and very expensive, is not going to be a G/P reward but I could very easily see Super Metroid or Earthbound or something else that I want in the 200/250 coin range pop up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Stan Taylor posted:

Woo!

The Smash soundtrack is supposed to ship out in March.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kurtofan posted:

The Smash soundtrack is supposed to ship out in March.

I know, but I haven't ordered anything else from them except a 3DS game case and I got that a month ago.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There were already reports of some people's soundtracks being shipped out.

http://www.destructoid.com/that-free-super-smash-bros-club-nintendo-soundtrack-is-starting-to-ship-288113.phtml

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oops, Nintendo sent me the soundtrack to the NBC show Smash by mistake.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Stan Taylor posted:

Woo!

I got an e-mail notification as well, with no indication of what exactly was shipped. I figured it's either the Smash soundtrack or that Majora's Mask messenger bag.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Stan Taylor posted:

I ordered a couple things but I checked the Club Nintendo order number and it matches the one that I placed back in December so yeah, it's the Smash CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

greatn posted:

Oops, Nintendo sent me the soundtrack to the NBC show Smash by mistake.

Just pretend it's Zelda and ZSS singing instead of Karen and Ivy