Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i honestly don't think it was an issue 7 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
like "yeah, the internet is working fine, let's not gently caress with it"

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

ErIog posted:

In 50 years conservatives will be citing Windsor as a conservative fighting for gay rights by complaining the court wasn't moving fast enough.

This, while infuriating as hell, is a pretty good prediction.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/21/the_souths_true_face_of_hate_oozing_nonsense_from_demented_and_influential_corners_of_religious_right/

George Wallace posted:

By the end of 1963, with segregation losing its stable respectability, he [Wallace] dropped the word [segregation] altogether from a fresh stump speech denouncing “big government” by “pointy-headed bureaucrats,” tyrannical judges, and “tax, tax, spend, spend” legislators. He spurned racial discourse, calling it favoritism, and insisted with aplomb that he had never denigrated any person or group in his fight for local control.

It wouldn't be the first time conservatives have retconned history for their own personal gain.

I know this isn't the place, but that's a pretty good article if you want a breakdown of exactly what the hell is going on with Alabama's gay marriage fiasco

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Scott Walker is not ready for prime time.

quote:

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), who is considering running for president, demurred when asked about the Federal Communications Commission's approval of "net neutrality" rules that would stop Internet providers from determining the speed at which users can access the Internet.

"I think on that ... the guiding principle should be freedom," he said while appearing at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Thursday, without offering any specific policy prescriptions for the regulation of the Web.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Like these morons know anything about how the internet works.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lazy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Who the hell is walking around CPAC, running for president and hasn't even prepared a cogent statement on todays news?. Every day I'm more and more convinced he's the new Sarah Palin.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The internet is powered by freedom, and it should stay that way.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mooyashi posted:

i honestly don't think it was an issue 7 years ago

mooyashi posted:

like "yeah, the internet is working fine, let's not gently caress with it"

7 years ago is about when the issue first started to come up, actually; a little before that. That's around when some ISPs started trying to move in the tiered service direction, because that was when we started to see the rise of torrenting and how it was starting to dominate network activity. You had some ISPs that were charging network usage by peer-to-peer file sharing differently from standard network usage, and that's when the issue started to get notice.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Walker also laid out his foreign policy credentials today:

quote:

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Thursday said his experience undermining labor unions in Wisconsin has prepared him to take on the threat of the Islamic State in the Middle East.

"If I can take on 100,000 protesters, I can do the same across the world," Walker told a packed crowd at the Conservative Political Action Committee, in response to a question about how he would fight the terrorist group, which has killed thousands in Iraq and Syria.

Walker was referring to protesters who led an unsuccessful recall effort against him in 2012, after he proposed a budget that stripped public sector unions of their collective bargaining rights. The protests lasted for months and catapulted Walker onto the national political stage.

The likely 2016 presidential candidate said the nation needs "someone who leads" and who will "send a message, not only that we'll protect American soil, but do not take this upon freedom-loving people anywhere else in the world. We need a leader with that kind of confidence."

baw
Nov 5, 2008

How likely is it that WI will default in the near future?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Every day I'm more and more convinced he's the new Sarah Palin.

Correction, minute by minute.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DaveWoo posted:

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Thursday said his experience undermining labor unions in Wisconsin has prepared him to take on the threat of the Islamic State in the Middle East.

I really wish this phrasing had been used in a non-huffpo piece because holy poo poo that's funny and encapsulates his credentials so very, very well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

baw posted:

Using a loose definition, 100% certain. (But said restructuring is within the terms of said loan).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

baw posted:

The state has already decided to skip -- or "restructure" -- a $108 million debt payment due in May. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can see Mecca from my front porch, where I recently gutted all my states unions.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Walker compared citizens of the state of Wisconsin to Daesh. That should go over well.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He's pretty much trying to power through this primary season on nothing but red meat, correct? I don't see any other wisdom to anything he's done so far.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think we should praise Trump for learning how to tweet instead of having an assistant print out Salon articles and writing on them in Sharpie.

Unless an assistant is actually taking tweet dictation...the grammar and spelling is suspiciously good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So how's Perry supposed to handle illegal immigration in 2016? Cause that loving killed him in 2012.

I mean he could go full xenophobic rear end in a top hat, but then how is he any different from the other white Republican assholes potential Republican frontrunners?

True, he's got new glasses, an American flag and ... uh...

oops

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's almost charming how much he believes in those glasses.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Perry also looks really wrinkly in that picture.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's almost charming how much he believes in those glasses.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

And just like that, hipsterism died. Everyone put derailleurs back on their road bikes and PBR breweries began to run in reverse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is he trying to impress Sisi or something?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fade5 posted:

So how's Perry supposed to handle illegal immigration in 2016? Cause that loving killed him in 2012.

I mean he could go full xenophobic rear end in a top hat, but then how is he any different from the other white Republican assholes potential Republican frontrunners?

True, he's got new glasses, an American flag and ... uh...

oops

People say that immigration killed Perry last time, but I don't think that's actually born out by any sort of evidence. Sure they didn't like what he had to say about immigration, but they loving loved how he killed all those Death Row inmates. Given the length and the defining moment, I don't think it's reasonable to chalk his failure of a campaign up to anything but pain killers/the worlds worst memory.

Besides this year is the year of candidates with ideas on immigration counter to the party's. Bush, Rubio, and Perry all have said herretical things on immigration. I think Christie likes directing his dickishness towards anti-immigration people, but I could be wrong. I'm sure if we can convince Santorum that Mexicans have big, strong, hands he'll be on board for the papist invasion. Given the anti-immigrant members of the field the Republican primary may be the most darkly hilarious immigration debate since the dirty Irish darkened our shores.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

And just like that, hipsterism died. Everyone put derailleurs back on their road bikes and PBR breweries began to run in reverse.

And there was much rejoicing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I love a good ol' fascist message. I think it was some fascist propagandist who said you make your enemies look overpowering strong while also making them making them look absurdly weak. So, ISIS is this massive threat to the state of the world, but they're on the same level as the protesters in Wisconsin.

That, or he's a total idiot. I'm leaning towards that.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Cemetry Gator posted:

That, or he's a total idiot. I'm leaning towards that.

Yep. The man obviously hasn't had many original ideas in his life. He just says what his donors want him to say until he doesn't know and then he says nothing.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

De Nomolos posted:

I swear a few, maybe more than a few, GOP presidential candidates backed Net Neutrality in 2008. Maybe Huckabee, McCain, and a few others? Did I dream this?

This article says Huckabee was the lone Republican indicating he could be for it, possibly.

http://www.cnet.com/news/obama-pledges-net-neutrality-laws-if-elected-president/

quote:

Among the Republicans, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has also reportedly given a thumbs up to the idea, although some opponents of Net neutrality laws contend he was blindsided in a conference call with bloggers and questioned whether he was familiar enough with the issue to take a real stand. With only a few exceptions, however, Republicans have generally rejected proposals for Net neutrality regulations, arguing the market should be left to sort out complaints of discrimination and that new regulations will stifle investment in new broadband networks.

But that was a different political climate. Huckabee was for healthy eating and exercise back then, too.

Side note: Promise Kept

William Bear fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 27, 2015

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I love a good ol' fascist message. I think it was some fascist propagandist who said you make your enemies look overpowering strong while also making them making them look absurdly weak. So, ISIS is this massive threat to the state of the world, but they're on the same level as the protesters in Wisconsin.

I never really liked this critique, since it applies pretty well to arguments liberals/leftists make too. GWB was both a clueless buffoon and the cynical architect of America's slide in to horribleness. Same with Reagan. Corporations have no idea what they're doing, yet know exactly how to gently caress everyone over. And so on. I think it's just a lazy rhetorical shorthand that gets used a lot, by everyone. Smarter, more informed people could be (and are) more nuanced if pressed. Of course some people do have such simplistic views, but this sort of image macro level of characterization is common from everyone. I think we just tend to let it slide when we agree with the overall message, since we understand the nuance underneath the big simple claim.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Scott Walker has done nothing so far to disabuse me of my initial suspicion that he is actually a potato in a highly sophisticated "human being" costume

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Representin' big 5-1-2!

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I never really liked this critique, since it applies pretty well to arguments liberals/leftists make too. GWB was both a clueless buffoon and the cynical architect of America's slide in to horribleness. Same with Reagan. Corporations have no idea what they're doing, yet know exactly how to gently caress everyone over. And so on. I think it's just a lazy rhetorical shorthand that gets used a lot, by everyone. Smarter, more informed people could be (and are) more nuanced if pressed. Of course some people do have such simplistic views, but this sort of image macro level of characterization is common from everyone. I think we just tend to let it slide when we agree with the overall message, since we understand the nuance underneath the big simple claim.

It's a bit like "You know who else was a vegetarian? Hitler." Constantly shifting rhetorical focus was in Gramsci's list of characteristics of fascism alongside over a dozen other things, but one similarity does not a fascist make. That shifting focus is also found in any movement that wants to stir up ire against another person or group, to the point where you reflexively harp on their misdeeds and mistakes even when they're contradictory.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

TheBalor posted:

It's a bit like "You know who else was a vegetarian? Hitler." Constantly shifting rhetorical focus was in Gramsci's list of characteristics of fascism alongside over a dozen other things, but one similarity does not a fascist make. That shifting focus is also found in any movement that wants to stir up ire against another person or group, to the point where you reflexively harp on their misdeeds and mistakes even when they're contradictory.

Probably mean Eco's features of ur-Fascism.

He states that "it is enough that one of them be present to allow fascism to coagulate around it."

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SatansOnion posted:

Scott Walker has done nothing so far to disabuse me of my initial suspicion that he is actually a potato in a highly sophisticated "human being" costume

A reverse-GLADOS from Portal 2

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

On Maddow last night Rachel talked about a cadre of republicans planning on staging a mini protest/walkout during Jeb's speech at CPAC this weekend. Apparently Jeb's counterattack is to bus in his supporters 6-8 hours in advance of his speech and overload the room.

I hope the republican party tears itself apart.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

420DD Butts posted:

Yep. The man obviously hasn't had many original ideas in his life. He just says what his donors want him to say until he doesn't know and then he says nothing.

It kind of reminds me of how Rudy Giuliani had no foreign policy experience so had to bring up 9/11 every chance he could, here Walker's only notable accomplishment in anything is "standing up to unions" so he's going to reference it constantly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Malloreon posted:

On Maddow last night Rachel talked about a cadre of republicans planning on staging a mini protest/walkout during Jeb's speech at CPAC this weekend. Apparently Jeb's counterattack is to bus in his supporters 6-8 hours in advance of his speech and overload the room.

I hope the republican party tears itself apart.

They've been tearing themselves apart since 2008, turns out they're the antagonist from that Timeline book by Michael Crichton (it's a bad book - basically uses teleportation as time travel but computer glitches in that process mean you have rendering errors in your body and when they happen in your brain it makes you crazy) and just get more insane every time they try to implode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus Christ he's literally incapable of giving an answer to a loving question.

• Locked thread