Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

My wish came true! I am so happy.

EDIT: I want Uraraka to tap Bakugou and he just floats away.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It seems to be set up so we can get Deku vs. Todoroki then Deku vs. Kacchan. It'd be nice if it were less predictable but it certainly works

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

That's the only reason I think Midoriya doesn't get knocked out of the tournament, but I really just can't see him making it to the end the more I look at it. He's going to HAVE to blast someone.

You don't think the main character of this shonen manga is going to win the tournament his mentor has tasked him with as a goal to win so as to announce his presence to the world as a step in following his dream and making him the public successor to said mentor? Seriously? Even if the probable match-ups for Deku don't work out so that all his rivals look set to fight him in succession that'd be a dumb assertion given the genre. As is though, the break down looks like it'll be Deku facing off against mind control jerk from another class (the only non-rival in the bunch, then Todoroki, Iida and finally Bakugou. Which is just far to clean a run through all declared rivals to not work out even if his winning wasn't an important step in making himself All Might's successor.

And while Deku has only been able to use his powers once before crippling himself before, that's not a hard limit on his powers and not only can change in the future, but has to if he's going to do anything useful. This is basically the perfect fuel to help him overcome those limits, which he's already started to do as is. He'll probably win his first match without using his powers, but will more likely use them at least once a match in all following bouts.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 27, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think we're gonna see a huge upset from at least one of these fights.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My wish came true! I am so happy.

EDIT: I want Uraraka to tap Bakugou and he just floats away.

She's mentioned having a new trick up her sleeve a while back, and I'm pretty sure she's gonna have to show it off against Bakugou so I'm gonna call it as making stuff heavier, instead of lighter.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

tsob posted:

You don't think the main character of this shonen manga is going to win the tournament his mentor has tasked him with as a goal to win so as to announce his presence to the world as a step in following his dream and making him the public successor to said mentor? Seriously? Even if the probable match-ups for Deku don't work out so that all his rivals look set to fight him in succession that'd be a dumb assertion given the genre. As is though, the break down looks like it'll be Deku facing off against mind control jerk from another class (the only non-rival in the bunch, then Todoroki, Iida and finally Bakugou. Which is just far to clean a run through all declared rivals to not work out even if his winning wasn't an important step in making himself All Might's successor.

And while Deku has only been able to use his powers once before crippling himself before, that's not a hard limit on his powers and not only can change in the future, but has to if he's going to do anything useful. This is basically the perfect fuel to help him overcome those limits, which he's already started to do as is. He'll probably win his first match without using his powers, but will more likely use them at least once a match in all following bouts.

I can't think of a single tournament arc where the main character won other than the very last one in Dragon Ball (I forget how Z's went, to be fair, but by then we had power levels so those don't count). Deku might make it to the finals, but honestly I think it is going to get interrupted by the villain crew sometime during or after the second round of matches.

TriffTshngo posted:

Kirishima vs Tetsutetsu is one of the most obvious fights that's ever happened in shonen and yet I'm so goddamn excited.

It is going to be the battle of the century.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

red plastic cup posted:

tail guy and that one nervous class B guy with the huge eyes drop out

this is inSANEly hosed up and i'm penning a letter to the author about it right now

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm thinking birdboy is gonna get taken out early, sadly, because he's up against a fanservice-ish character.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also Momo can probably just make a bunch of flashbangs to make his shadow useless.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tsob posted:

It kinda seems almost too obvious. Midoriya winning the tournament and going into the final games with the sophomores/seniors and making himself known there, accomplishing All Might's goal for him and also painting a target on his back because the villains are watching him now too. Strange for a series that seems to enjoy subverting cliches a lot.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GimmickMan posted:

I can't think of a single tournament arc where the main character won other than the very last one in Dragon Ball (I forget how Z's went, to be fair, but by then we had power levels so those don't count). Deku might make it to the finals, but honestly I think it is going to get interrupted by the villain crew sometime during or after the second round of matches.

It is going to be the battle of the century.

Prepare for Large Hardon Collider

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TriffTshngo posted:

Kirishima vs Tetsutetsu is one of the most obvious fights that's ever happened in shonen and yet I'm so goddamn excited.

I want cross counters. Give me page after page of cross counters. Nothing but them slugging each other at the same time. The only acceptable ending is a double KO.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hoping they pull a Hunter x Hunter and have Deku lose.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It kinda seems almost too obvious. Midoriya winning the tournament and going into the final games with the sophomores/seniors and making himself known there, accomplishing All Might's goal for him and also painting a target on his back because the villains are watching him now too. Strange for a series that seems to enjoy subverting cliches a lot.

Easy cop out would be for him to lose in a way that engenders respect and notoriety from his audience ala the entrance exam.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Hoping they pull a Hunter x Hunter and have Deku lose.

Well, that's not quite how that went in HxH's tournament; Gon got clowned, sure, but he still "won". Or are you talking about the stuff in Heaven's Tower? That isn't quite the same either, really.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Koopa Kid posted:

Easy cop out would be for him to lose in a way that engenders respect and notoriety from his audience ala the entrance exam.

That's a little too Naruto for me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Well, that's not quite how that went in HxH's tournament; Gon got clowned, sure, but he still "won". Or are you talking about the stuff in Heaven's Tower? That isn't quite the same either, really.
I didn't have any particular instance in mind, though there are several I could name. I was referring more in general to Hunter x Hunter's willingness to allow its protagonists to "Fail," and in failing grow as characters - something I think a lot of other shounen titles could learn from.

Deku failing has more interesting ramifications than if he wins.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Vengarr posted:

That's a little too Naruto for me.

Having not followed Naruto, is this something that series does all the time?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Deku failing has more interesting ramifications than if he wins.

I fail to see how personally. He already has, as the series points out multiple times, a good personality for a hero and is a source of inspiration for others already because of it. Failure here would only lead to him beating himself up for a while because he failed All Might, and then resolving to be a better fighter or pushing himself to gain better control of his powers afterwards, without any real change in his personality more than likely. He hasn't nearly as much to gain by losing as Todoroki or Bakugou for instance, since both of them have obvious personality deficiencies that are holding them back. Deku's growth is unlikely to be in his personality, outside of having more self-confidence.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 27, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Newfound resolve aside Midoriya initially didn't give a poo poo about the tournament since he correctly told All Might himself that 1) he's not into heroism to get famous, 2) doesn't give 1/5th of a poo poo about being scouted because he's already in possession of one of the most powerful quirks on earth and under the tutelage of the #1 hero.

It's just that him winning seems too obvious I guess that bugs me. Unless the tournament gets interrupted but uggghhh I hope they don't do that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I am less invested in what outcome it's going to be and more in how it is handled.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Newfound resolve aside Midoriya initially didn't give a poo poo about the tournament since he correctly told All Might himself that 1) he's not into heroism to get famous, 2) doesn't give 1/5th of a poo poo about being scouted because he's already in possession of one of the most powerful quirks on earth and under the tutelage of the #1 hero.

It's just that him winning seems too obvious I guess that bugs me. Unless the tournament gets interrupted but uggghhh I hope they don't do that.

I'm actually hoping that the tourney gets interrupted, but not by an attack or anything. I hope it gets interrupted for reasons that would normally delay a big sports event like very heavy rain, sudden high winds, thunderstorm moving in, something like that.

Especially if we get a few panel gag of it seeming like there's a villain behind it, but no. It's just the weather.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mindblast posted:

Having not followed Naruto, is this something that series does all the time?

Not all the time really, no. Naruto's exam arc had a big tournament as the final exam. The point of the exam wasn't to win but to demonstrate that you had the qualities to make a good squad leader (winning just meant you had more opportunities to show off). The only one who passed lost his fight, since he showed he was could keep a cool head, strategize on the fly and know when to bow out because the mission was a failure.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Naruto tournament arc was before Naruto went to poo poo though so if this is as good I'm fine with that.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Something I just noticed: did Todoroki's design change significantly since his introduction in the bomb defense trial? I just checked the older chapters, and half his body was encased in ice back then, like some sort of ice golem. Now, he just looks like a normal dude. Was that ever explained, or did the author just quietly change it?

I gotta say, what initially drew me to this manga was the great designs and expressions for pretty much everyone - I can immediately spot Deku and explosion dude, not to mention all the mutants. The girls are easily discernible, too - in fact, the creation girl at first only stood out because she seemed to be the only NORMAL one. So I'm not much of a fan of Todoroki. He's... got a burn scar, and a pretty expressionless face. Not a fan. Also that hardening dude, who seems to have no features whatsoever until he uses his power... Oh well.

I really hope Uraraka wins, her power is loads of fun & it's always fun to see explosion dude get taken down a peg!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It would get to be a little much if every single character had an outlandish design. It's nice to have some regular looking kids hanging around in roughly equal numbers to the animal people and whatnot. Also, Kirishima's been shown to have a slight complex about his power because it's pretty generic, so I'm guessing him looking like a fairly standard spiky haired shonen kid is on purpose as well.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Torquemadras posted:

Something I just noticed: did Todoroki's design change significantly since his introduction in the bomb defense trial? I just checked the older chapters, and half his body was encased in ice back then, like some sort of ice golem. Now, he just looks like a normal dude. Was that ever explained, or did the author just quietly change it?

I gotta say, what initially drew me to this manga was the great designs and expressions for pretty much everyone - I can immediately spot Deku and explosion dude, not to mention all the mutants. The girls are easily discernible, too - in fact, the creation girl at first only stood out because she seemed to be the only NORMAL one. So I'm not much of a fan of Todoroki. He's... got a burn scar, and a pretty expressionless face. Not a fan. Also that hardening dude, who seems to have no features whatsoever until he uses his power... Oh well.

I really hope Uraraka wins, her power is loads of fun & it's always fun to see explosion dude get taken down a peg!

He creates the ice half specifically for his superhero outfit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pandaK posted:

Speaking of costumes, I hope at some point we get more of the notes that the kids wrote for their costume design in one of the bonus sections. Not sure any would top Bakugou's KILL WITH MY KNEES, though. Maybe invisible girl's would.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

It would get to be a little much if every single character had an outlandish design. It's nice to have some regular looking kids hanging around in roughly equal numbers to the animal people and whatnot. Also, Kirishima's been shown to have a slight complex about his power because it's pretty generic, so I'm guessing him looking like a fairly standard spiky haired shonen kid is on purpose as well.

Oh, don't get me wrong, they don't all have to be mutants. The three main dudes (Deku, Uraraka and explosion dude - I'm bad at names) aren't mutants, yet you recognize them immediately due to their expressions alone. No typical dead manga face there - they're just so expressive! It almost felt like One Piece in parts, which I think is pretty much gold standard regarding character diversity. There's also All Might and his weakened form, which is incredibly One Piece. In fact, I prefer the more normal looking characters!

Regarding Kirishima - yeah, fair enough. It's just that I honestly have trouble telling him apart from all the B Class students running around, which isn't very ideal. I could pick out Uraraka and explosion dude on facial expressions alone, but that guy? Hm. Oh well, they can't all be winners, and at least the character itself is funny.

pandaK posted:

That explains it, thank you!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say the designs are at least twice as diverse as in One Piece. I mean, none of these girls look like Nami, so that's a whole nother gender of diversity.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
More importantly they manage to look unique without falling into grotesquely exaggerated features. At least half of Oda's characters are wildly off the wall (which I must admit works in OP since it's off the wall in general).

If anything, I'd say Arakawa with FMA and Silver Spoon is a better example, by managing to make clearly identifiable characters without weird proportions, anime hair or particularly unique clothing. Even characters with literally identical features (Ling & Greed, Father & Hohenheim) are easy to tell apart.

Naoki Urasawa from Monster is pretty good at it, as well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It seems to be set up so we can get Deku vs. Todoroki then Deku vs. Kacchan. It'd be nice if it were less predictable but it certainly works

Yeah, I'd wager its going to be Todoroki, Iida, then Kacchan. After Iida's speech about rivaling Deku they'll probably duke it out.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Torquemadras posted:

I gotta say, what initially drew me to this manga was the great designs and expressions for pretty much everyone - I can immediately spot Deku and explosion dude, not to mention all the mutants. The girls are easily discernible, too - in fact, the creation girl at first only stood out because she seemed to be the only NORMAL one. So I'm not much of a fan of Todoroki. He's... got a burn scar, and a pretty expressionless face. Not a fan. Also that hardening dude, who seems to have no features whatsoever until he uses his power... Oh well.[/spoiler]
I'm fine with Todoroki being the dude with the more generic expressionless face. As shown, he's the character with the Tragic Back Story That Drives His Motivation, so he's got the trauma justifying him being dead serious all the time. As long as there aren't too many characters that copy the expression, it ends up distinctive to him and works for the comic.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

I'd say the designs are at least twice as diverse as in One Piece. I mean, none of these girls look like Nami, so that's a whole nother gender of diversity.

True. I remember that one part in One Piece where they got to Amazon Island, and it was full with unique female designs, as if the author suddenly had the urge to show he could do it... And as soon as they're off the island, BAM, back to Nami clones.

It's weird.

Twiddy posted:

I'm fine with Todoroki being the dude with the more generic expressionless face. As shown, he's the character with the Tragic Back Story That Drives His Motivation, so he's got the trauma justifying him being dead serious all the time. As long as there aren't too many characters that copy the expression, it ends up distinctive to him and works for the comic.

See what I mean with Todoroki being this manga's Sasuke? :haw:

And, sure, nobody minds genero face; it's just double confusing due to all the B Class students running around right now, and, well... it just falls flat compared to everybody else. It almost feels lazy to me. I hope I get proven wrong, and we'll actually get to see some expressiveness from this dude.

I hope he goes totally bonkers when fighting Deku. (Unless he loses before that, because, hey, it wouldn't be the first time something completely unexpected happened in this manga...)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
todoroki's still instantly recognizable due to his hair though :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

tsob posted:

I fail to see how personally. He already has, as the series points out multiple times, a good personality for a hero and is a source of inspiration for others already because of it. Failure here would only lead to him beating himself up for a while because he failed All Might, and then resolving to be a better fighter or pushing himself to gain better control of his powers afterwards, without any real change in his personality more than likely. He hasn't nearly as much to gain by losing as Todoroki or Bakugou for instance, since both of them have obvious personality deficiencies that are holding them back. Deku's growth is unlikely to be in his personality, outside of having more self-confidence.
Deku's a good kid, but he's been hanging on by the skin of his teeth. His best stuff's all improvised, which speaks well for his resourcefulness, but most of the time ends up just barely adequate. Eraserhead nearly expelled him the first day of school. Even the sports festival obstacle race he won by a nose. If Deku's strength is his adaptability, his weakness is consistent performance.

To fail here would be a good wake-up call, and certainly more believable than a kid with two, maybe three months experience besting life-long practitioners in sanctioned combat. It'd provide a good opportunity for him to reevaluate how he's been doing things. Better now than later with his life on the line.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm pretty sure Deku is perfectly aware he's barely hanging on, but he hasn't had the time to improve by any significant margins. That's why he keeps saying he needs to work twice as hard just to catch up.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Physically, yeah, he's pretty far behind, but that's a problem poised to solve itself. I'm talking about his mentality, his way of thinking, which he's had plenty of time to develop.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bad Seafood posted:

Physically, yeah, he's pretty far behind, but that's a problem poised to solve itself. I'm talking about his mentality, his way of thinking, which he's had plenty of time to develop.

No it's not? He's been more than a quirkless who was bullied for 12ish years for like, 4 months dude. He's still a nervous wreck, but he's obviously getting better about it even in that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There are a lot of ways failure can be internalized into a personal lesson, man, I'm just trying to give an example. We expect him to win because he's the protagonist, even with the odds stacked heavily against him. I'm just saying failure is an option and potentially a constructive one; one I wouldn't mind seeing.

Even the classic "It's okay to fail, everyone fails" would be at home here.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 28, 2015