Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

if it had been built exactly as intended then the countryside woulda had a whole bunch of slowass internet infrastructure and even worse cell coverage
so really not any different than today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

yeah turns out that doesnt work really well

fiber optics work a lot better

apparently it works ok. its probably better than vdsl over ancient pots lines

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

so really not any different than today

precisely

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

glad the free market delivers

20 years late

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

remember when the internet wasn't poo poo

me either
6mbps adsl with 8ms ping or uncapped cable was decent back in 2001

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Beeftweeter posted:

apparently it works ok. its probably better than vdsl over ancient pots lines

ham radio guys got extremely angry over BPL

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
FiOS claims to not be engaging in network fuckery but when I upload poo poo to an S3 bucket directly it goes at maybe 20 kb/sec versus when I VPN through a Linode instance in my city it goes at full wire rate

that's my net neutrality story

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still haven't heard any compelling reason why we needed any of this poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hed posted:

because you might need gigabit internet maybe in 20 years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hed posted:

because google said so and because lots of pirates don't want to get throttled

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Shaggar posted:

oh so they're going to prevent stuff that has never happened from happening? cause it sounds like they're trying to classify legitimate peering arrangements like the Netflix thing as bad which would be hilariously stupid. so its a good thing they're not doing that.
iirc all this poo poo started when level3 underbid comcast for the cdn contract with netflix, which meant that comcast would have had to start paying level3 for the peering disparity as well as upgrade their peering links, and in response comcast throttled netflix for ~1month. and then shtf

long story: shagger please stick to coding arguments

Jimmy Carter posted:

FiOS claims to not be engaging in network fuckery but when I upload poo poo to an S3 bucket directly it goes at maybe 20 kb/sec versus when I VPN through a Linode instance in my city it goes at full wire rate

there's a good chance that you're hitting a congested peering path taht the linode instance is routing around. the internet is nothing more than a network of handshakes and duct tape.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

DaNzA posted:

6mbps adsl with 8ms ping or uncapped cable was decent back in 2001

no no I I meant what's on the internet e.g. you're posts

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Carter posted:

"why spend money on upgrading when we can just save money on our backhaul"

this happened to the lovely ISP in NZ that used the cheapest/worst transit provider
eg. a tracert from NZ to US somehow bounces through asia and japan before getting to the US

but since they have unbundled line people just change to a different ISP with better upstream provider

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CrazyLittle posted:

iirc all this poo poo started when level3 underbid comcast for the cdn contract with netflix, which meant that comcast would have had to start paying level3 for the peering disparity as well as upgrade their peering links, and in response comcast throttled netflix for ~1month. and then shtf

long story: shagger please stick to coding arguments

no, level 3 would have had to start paying comcast if they wanted the peering upgraded, comcast was never on the hook for paying peering charges. side that pushes more traffic pays.

and there was no throttling at comcast, just the natural congestion.

verizon is the one that reputedly actually throttled.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

no no I I meant what's on the internet e.g. you're posts

:smith:

also good news shaggar seems like the republicans got your back

US Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) and Senator Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) today filed legislation to overturn the municipal broadband decision the Federal Communications Commission made earlier in the day.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, level 3 would have had to start paying comcast if they wanted the peering upgraded, comcast was never on the hook for paying peering charges. side that pushes more traffic pays.

no sir, downloader pays in all the peering agreements with transit providers i've seen.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

and there was no throttling at comcast, just the natural congestion.
whoa things can get congested if it's never upgraded???

if only there's another ISP that you can switch to that routed differently bypassing the congestion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CrazyLittle posted:

no you have this backwards. level3 underbid Comcast and as a result level3 went way way over their peering argreement with Comcast. Comcast told them to pay up and level3 made a stink about it in the press but they paid anyways cause that's how contracts work. I don't think they ever actually throttled anyone but even if they had it would have been within their rights to do so in order to bring level3 into compliance with the terms of the contract. for added hilarity the idiot ceo of Netflix also bitched about it and was wahh wahh Comcast is the worst and then like a week later they released data for who the best isps for viewed Netflix were and Comcast was #1.

level3 has always been poo poo and they oversell their networks and get all confused when people avoid them. they put out some bullshit a while back where they were all "look we have all this capacity and Comcast wont use it!!!" when the reality is Comcast didn't want to use them because they were less reliable and more expensive than other routes. that's how that poo poo works.

then Netflix realized their original mistake and peered directly with Comcast which means more network capacity for all of comcasts customers (after offloading Netflix to their own pipes) and better service for Comcast's Netflix users. and the only people who had to pay for it were the people using Netflix (although not really since rates didn't increase). litterrallly everyone won that one and its the #1 thing people talk about when they talk about "fast lanes". its how this stuff should work and its completely equitable and banning it would be really really stupid. but who knows if that's actually what the fcc means by banning fast lanes.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

DaNzA posted:

"why spend money on upgrading when we can just save money on our backhaul"

this happened to the lovely ISP in NZ that used the cheapest/worst transit provider
eg. a tracert from NZ to US somehow bounces through asia and japan before getting to the US

but since they have unbundled line people just change to a different ISP with better upstream provider

I'm in NYC there's a stupid amount of fiber here therefore no excuse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DaNzA posted:

whoa things can get congested if it's never upgraded???

for those like danza that don't understand this, the way peering works is that if you generally send the same amount of traffic both ways you pay to keep up your end and if you both want to expand the peer you both pay to upgrade your end.

in the case of level3s Netflix traffic over Comcast, level3 was sending something like 6 times the amount of traffic Comcast was. that's why Comcast asked them to pay up. there was no reason for Comcast to upgrade anything since it would only benefit level3 and not Comcast or Comcast customers. it was up to level3 to make those network improvements and they would have had to charge Netflix more to do it so Netflix finally gave up and did what they should have done originally which is peer directly to Comcast. its cheaper for everyone in the long run and it doesn't penalize Comcast users who don't use Netflix.

in the end network upgrades were performed by the party who required network upgrades and customers on both sides received better service than before.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Shaggar posted:

level3 went way way over their peering argreement with Comcast. Comcast told them to pay up and level3 made a stink about it in the press but they paid anyways cause that's how contracts work.

Comcast didn't want to use them because they were less reliable and more expensive than other routes.

you're contradicting yourself here. which is it? is level3 paying comcast or is comcast paying level3?

and here in san francisco, Level3 has been the most reliable transit in the area compared to att, verizon, time warner, ntt, cogent, zayo. where are you getting your information from?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CrazyLittle posted:

you're contradicting yourself here. which is it? is level3 paying comcast or is comcast paying level3?

currently it's neither, netflix stopped being dumb, the traffic went back to equal enough to not pay, and they both just pay for their side's upkeep

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
bay area resident thinks that the bay area is representative of the world, news at 11

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
level3 is the least reliable transit I've ever used that wasn't an ilec.

and im not contradicting myself. Comcast didn't want to send any traffic over level3 because the income loss from increasing parity with level3 wasn't worthwhile when they could just send that traffic somewhere else for less.

this is before the Netflix/Comcast peering arrangement.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol our ilec was Verizon and the maine PUC kicked them out of the state for wanting to roll out fios and then allowed Verizon to sell the old poo poo copper to a bankrupt company. way to go utility regulators!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

bay area resident thinks that the bay area is representative of the world, news at 11

no, but a major metro does represent network connectivity with representation from tier 1 transit providers.

Shaggar posted:

level3 is the least reliable transit I've ever used that wasn't an ilec.

and im not contradicting myself. Comcast didn't want to send any traffic over level3 because the income loss from increasing parity with level3 wasn't worthwhile when they could just send that traffic somewhere else for less.

this is before the Netflix/Comcast peering arrangement.

comcast is the eu isp - they don't "send traffic." your premise is fla-

gently caress getting shaggar'd and fishmech'd.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

for those like danza that don't understand this, the way peering works is that if you generally send the same amount of traffic both ways you pay to keep up your end and if you both want to expand the peer you both pay to upgrade your end.
or if fios was unbundled then you can just get another ISP using the same fios line with less congestion on the backend

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DaNzA posted:

or if fios was unbundled then you can just get another ISP using the same fios line with less congestion on the backend

it's also up to the person selling connectivity on netflix's side to provide the actual access, friend.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
i can't stay mad at ATT because they put in 4g in oso, wash, after that landslide happened :unsmith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the Netflix customers want that traffic. not all Comcast customers are Netflix customers and it would be wrong of Comcast to charge all Comcast customers for the usage of just the Netflix customers. the final result of all of this is that the Netflix customers who wanted the upgrades got the upgrades and they(through Netflix) paid for them. This is correct and fair.

if fios was unbundled you'd be able to get service through a 4th tier network like earthlink and you would suffer worse congestion from their garbage networks.

TWC customers have been able to get unbundled service ever since the TWC/AOL merger and it didn't do anything because the backhaul is not the problem.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ah, Verizon. Respected and well liked. Just like Mediacom and Comcast, their words are sure to persuade their loyal customers

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Hed posted:

shaggar says it's for pirates but there are lots of legit reasons to have lots of bandwidth: remote desktop, online backup like backblaze, file syncing like dropbox, etc

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's also up to the person selling connectivity on netflix's side to provide the actual access, friend.
true, but in cases like people getting much improved speed when they VPN out of their isp means there are most likely some uncongested peering points out there that customers can get to if there's a choice in switching ISP

it's just lol to see people having to VPN out of their lovely ISP to get much better speed

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
lol@ equal pairing agreement with an end user isp, aka "use your bandwith to serve answers to my requests, and pay me for the privilege"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mods rename thread to shaggar v fishmech

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DaNzA posted:

true, but in cases like people getting much improved speed when they VPN out of their isp means there are most likely some uncongested peering points out there that customers can get to if there's a choice in switching ISP

it's just lol to see people having to VPN out of their lovely ISP to get much better speed

that's a thing that's up to the massive bandwidth pushing on the other end signing deals with more other companies or signing a deal with the isp itself, tbh

when you push 35% of a continent's bandwidth at peak times like netflix, going for a single transit network for most of your traffic is just plain dumb.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

pagancow posted:

Not clear if this ruling disallows private companies from sticking a CDN directly on an ISP's network and pay for it.

the isps should be offering it for free since it saves them money, but they want to save money and be paid for it too because monopoly

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

suffix posted:

the isps should be offering it for free since it saves them money, but they want to save money and be paid for it too because monopoly

no, they should charge the normal rates for rackspace and power like they do now

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

if fios was unbundled you'd be able to get service through a 4th tier network like earthlink and you would suffer worse congestion from their garbage networks.

TWC customers have been able to get unbundled service ever since the TWC/AOL merger and it didn't do anything because the backhaul is not the problem.
so verizon and TWC are roughly the same as earthlink and the worse case isn't too bad

check out sonic.net since they are one of the better unbundled provider with uncapped/linespeed adsl2+ through att's unbundled line, they even include unlimited national calls with free caller id and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

DaNzA posted:

this is a good way to ensure that no ISP ever invests in fiber

• Locked thread