Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Isn't there a known bug with Airdrop and slow wi-fi speeds? Like something to do with device announcements? I remember reading about it earlier in this thread and there was a fix, but sadly only for jailbroken phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Airdrop relies on bluetooth in addition to Wifi, which may be an explanation as to why turning off bluetooth fixes it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BeanBandit posted:

I wonder why Apple fans have a reputation for being insufferable little pricks?

Yes the Something Awful dot com forums gave all Apple users a bad reputation.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Exactly. Thanks for putting that together for everyone. And to be honest it's servers that have 99% uptime, and serving enough people any downtime will be noticed. Sad but true.

Either way, Bluetooth is the current thing I'm pointing fingers at. Now to figure out why. Ugh

Check your cuticles.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

BeanBandit posted:

I wonder why Apple fans have a reputation for being insufferable little pricks?

Overwhelming market share means you get a larger population of pricks in your sample?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Zwille posted:

Have you tried Dashlane?
Is there a recommended password app like Dashlane?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I noticed that I bent my iPhone 6 Plus the day after the 15-day return period. Hooooooooow?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's still under warranty.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Oh, I know, I'm just down on the viability of continued 6 Plus ownership if I managed to damage it while I was babying it as hard as I was.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

dexter6 posted:

Is there a recommended password app like Dashlane?

My recommended password app is Dashlane.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I've been using LastPass for almost a year now, it's pretty cool

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any recommendations for a TPU case for the 6 that isn't complete rear end? I'm eventually going to get one of the leather cases, just not right away.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have this one and I love it. It's really skinny so it doesn't add bulk to the phone. Still has a slight lip over the front so you can lay it down on the screen if you choose.

Incipio NGP

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Dancing Peasant posted:

I've been using LastPass for almost a year now, it's pretty cool

I've been using it since probably 2012. It's really great. I paid the 12 bux for the premium this year and the finger print stuff on the iPhone works well.

I can't compare this to other password managers as i have never used other ones.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There isn't any way to prioritize one WiFi network over another in Settings, right? There are Optimum hotspots really close to both my home and work networks, so my phone tends to grab onto those when I don't want it to. I know I could just forget the network, but Optimum WiFi is actually a pretty nice feature when I'm out and about.

The problem is that some apps seem to be finicky when using public networks. So it'd be neat if I could have the phone prefer a network even if other slightly stronger ones are available first. Also for Airplay and reading my home iTunes library, the phone has to be on my actual home network.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2015

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
If you have a Mac and use iCloud Keychain, your iPhone inherits the priority from the wifi networks on the computer.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
Does anybody has issues with their iPhone 6 with the digital fingerprint sensor? When my hands are not perfectly dried it won't ever work, or in humid climates, and it's annoying.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, you have to use your passcode to unlock if your hands or the sensor are dirty or wet.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

NyxBiker posted:

Does anybody has issues with their iPhone 6 with the digital fingerprint sensor? When my hands are not perfectly dried it won't ever work, or in humid climates, and it's annoying.

Mine normally works fine. I just licked my finger and tried...didn't work. Dried finger, business as usual.

e: f;b fleshweasel :argh:

e2: spelling

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 28, 2015

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I dropped my 5S and now the right half of the screen doesn't respond, so a quick Googling suggests that I'm looking at a digitizer/screen replacement. I have a Genius Bar appointment on Monday. It's out of warranty so does anyone know what kind of cost I'm going to be looking at? Alternatively, how easy is DIY replacement with an iFixit kit (or somewhere else if there's a better option). I managed to replace the battery on my 3GS without ruining anything.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

The Bunk posted:

I dropped my 5S and now the right half of the screen doesn't respond, so a quick Googling suggests that I'm looking at a digitizer/screen replacement. I have a Genius Bar appointment on Monday. It's out of warranty so does anyone know what kind of cost I'm going to be looking at? Alternatively, how easy is DIY replacement with an iFixit kit (or somewhere else if there's a better option). I managed to replace the battery on my 3GS without ruining anything.

Looks like the out of warranty cost for repairs is $269 according to this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Printer Pro for iOS Free - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/146857

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

Looks like the out of warranty cost for repairs is $269 according to this.

Apple Stores usually can do a new display for you for $129 but you need to agree to the potential $269 in case the display replacement fails testing.

Just have Apple do it. You don't want to gently caress with something like your display.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got the ifixit battery replacement kit and managed to crack the screen on my iphone 5 opening it. Ooooops. I'm figuring out whether to buy a new front display, camera and home button assembly or to just sell what's left for parts. Now I'm definitely worse off than if I had bitten the bullet and mailed it to Apple. Oh well.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

fleshweasel posted:

I got the ifixit battery replacement kit and managed to crack the screen on my iphone 5 opening it. Ooooops. I'm figuring out whether to buy a new front display, camera and home button assembly or to just sell what's left for parts. Now I'm definitely worse off than if I had bitten the bullet and mailed it to Apple. Oh well.

Isn't it gorilla glass on the iPhone 5's? I didn't think that they would just break like that, especially when you were simply taking the phone apart. I'd honestly just try to sell it for parts and get yourself a new phone, seems like way too much trouble to try and fix it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I shattered it pretty badly just by pulling on it the wrong way with the suction cup. I'm trying to sell it for parts and maybe pick up a 5s to replace it. Probably gonna leave battery swaps to the pros after this experience.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

Isn't it gorilla glass on the iPhone 5's? I didn't think that they would just break like that, especially when you were simply taking the phone apart. I'd honestly just try to sell it for parts and get yourself a new phone, seems like way too much trouble to try and fix it.

Phone parts, including glass, are all very very fragile while repairing. I used to do some basic repair work and I just do not miss it at all.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I searched over the last 20 pages but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience using unlocking services for their iPhone 6s recently? I unlocked my 5 a few years ago when the price was free but I'm seeing a wide variety in prices for unlocking an iPhone 6.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're in the US on AT&T the loophole got closed and it's real expensive now.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
If you're a current ATT customer, can't you use https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ ?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

If you're a current ATT customer, can't you use https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ ?

You have to be a current customer, but outside of your contract.

Also, the going price for a iPhone 6 unlock is $50 for whatever "not fast" means. Could be a few days, could be a few weeks, I have no idea.

https://chronicunlocks.com/

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Michael Scott posted:

If your iPhone 6 is off contract sure...

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I think your only option is to pay off the Next loan and then unlock. I imagine you're using "contract" in place of Next because I can't imagine a reason why you'd sign a 2-year instead of going with Next.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Even if you're not a current customer, as long as you've finished your contract and don't owe money pretty much all the carriers will unlock phones for you as of Feb 2015 as part of CITA's "Consumer Code for Wireless Service." http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/cell-phone-unlocking

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Michael Scott posted:

Still under contract

Michael Scott posted:

I think your only option is to pay off the Next loan and then unlock. I imagine you're using "contract" in place of Next because I can't imagine a reason why you'd sign a 2-year instead of going with Next.

Still clinging on to unlimited data and when I actually did the math for my (admittedly edge) case, AT&T next ended up more expensive.

noirstronaut posted:

You have to be a current customer, but outside of your contract.

Also, the going price for a iPhone 6 unlock is $50 for whatever "not fast" means. Could be a few days, could be a few weeks, I have no idea.

https://chronicunlocks.com/

Does anyone know if these websites will unlock a phone still under contract? When I look at some of them they say they can only unlock phones off contract which isn't very useful.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Residency Evil posted:

Still under contract

Still clinging on to unlimited data and when I actually did the math for my (admittedly edge) case, AT&T next ended up more expensive.

Does anyone know if these websites will unlock a phone still under contract? When I look at some of them they say they can only unlock phones off contract which isn't very useful.

I know Chronic can. He unlocks mine every year when I want to sell it for the big bucks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

When you pay for an unlock like this you are basically paying a disgruntled employee at your carrier to unlock it for you. You used to be able to do it for a lot cheaper, but carriers cracked down on it a while back so there are now fewer disgruntled employees willing to take the risk and prices have increased accordingly.

If you are out of contract then you shouldn't pay anything because your carrier is required to unlock the phone when you ask (see the link a few posts up).

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Anyone else amazed at how blatant this is? New Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6

I know the major tech companies copy ideas from each other all the time, and I know Apple is not without sin on that count, but WOW.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lets also note the thing costs between 700 euro and 900 euro depending on the storage chosen. Which in USD comes out to $780 and $1000.

So basically they made the traditionally "overpriced" iPhone seem like the money saving option.

The price goes even higher if you opt for the fancy curved screen version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Paul Allen posted:

Anyone else amazed at how blatant this is? New Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6

I know the major tech companies copy ideas from each other all the time, and I know Apple is not without sin on that count, but WOW.

Didn't Apple already sue Samsung because of similar copying issues?