Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Also, losing him because he dared to play mario kart on camera is hilariously dumb. Like, okay, Sony and Nintendo "compete" for the handheld market, but as far as home consoles are concerned they had might as well not even be in the same business.

It's Trademark Law 101, and his contract almost certainly forbid it as well. He should have known better than to do that in another commercial and he settled the lawsuit with Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Growing up in Canada we watched a lot if American tv. So it was super common to see ads for businesses that didn't even operate in my country, prices given in a different currency, and sales for holidays we don't celebrate.

I know this from forever ago, but vice-versa!

I'm still not going to Marineland, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's Trademark Law 101, and his contract almost certainly forbid it as well. He should have known better than to do that in another commercial and he settled the lawsuit with Sony.

Whether or not they could legally go after Lambert has little to do with how reasonable it is. It's not like he was advertising for the competitor explicitly, he just did some poo poo for an unrelated company that had him use the product of a competitor. Considering his character for Sony was the best advertising they had going for them in years, you'd think they'd give it a break. FFS, the only reason why people buy Nintendo consoles is for Nintendo IPs, and it's not as if Sony isn't aware of this.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's really bad for companies to ignore trademark violations. They had to do it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's really bad for companies to ignore trademark violations. They had to do it.

How is that a trademark violation, though? He was playing a character in the Sony adverts, which was not the same character as that in the Bridgestone commercial.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

bringmyfishback posted:

Yeah don't they are horrible they have marshmallows in vending machines to feed to bears and the poor bears have no teeth, or that was the case when I went as a kid, I never went back.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Speaking if spokesmen getting up to no good, there were these beer ads featuring that we're super popular. http://youtu.be/H15xBHqPDZE

Until the guy got arrested for being a pedophile.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

How is that a trademark violation, though? He was playing a character in the Sony adverts, which was not the same character as that in the Bridgestone commercial.

Dude this is really really basic stuff. If you're in an ad for a company you absolutely can't be in another ad using the competitor's product. Simple as that, of course it doesn't matter if you're playing another character. This is all standard contractual stuff in any ad ever made. Also Nintendo and Sony are competitors, in that they are both video game companies.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

For further reading on the Kevin Butler stuff
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-17-sony-settles-with-kevin-butler-actor-over-bridgestone-tyre-ad-lawsuit
You can tell its European because the spell it tyre.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
This is a juicy one. Dunkin' Donuts has completely poo poo the bed with their Liverpool FC sponsorship. This morning they tweeted out the picture below with: “Love the LFC crest? Tweet us what you’d want on your personal crest and we might surprise you with your own!”

Liverpool FC is one of the most storied clubs in England, known for their long history of winning lots of titles (not recently) and the tragedy of the Hillsborough disaster of 1989. "You'll Never Walk Alone" has been the clubs slogan since the 1960s, and the phrase gained increased importance to club supporters since the 1989 tragedy.

See those little flames on the outside of the LFC crest? Those were added in 1993 as a tribute to the 96 people who died. Dunkin Donuts turned them into milkshakes. You'll never walk alone? Nah, America runs on Dunkin'. LFC is owned by Americans, may as well drive that point home and annoy the fan base some more.... because you know, that makes sense when promoting coffee.

fake edit: DD already apologized in the newspaper. A great example in being totally ignorant to the history of the organization you sponsor.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

This is a juicy one. Dunkin' Donuts has completely poo poo the bed with their Liverpool FC sponsorship. This morning they tweeted out the picture below with: “Love the LFC crest? Tweet us what you’d want on your personal crest and we might surprise you with your own!”

Aaargh, my toes curled in on themselves in horrified embarrassment the instant I saw that. Stellar job there, Dunkin Donuts. beautiful example of why you should always run your shiny new advertising idea past someone who might have a particle of knowledge about the organisation you're sponsoring.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Where are these doughnut companies hiring PR? The Krispy Kreme Klub and now this...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is it too late to talk about weird PSP ads? I remember this series from like 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zRPxEIPH_s

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Chas McGill posted:

Where are these doughnut companies hiring PR? The Krispy Kreme Klub and now this...

I know LOL ADVERSE ADVERTISING is a fairly tired response to every P.R blunder but I genuinely believe KKK and this Dunking Donuts thing are deliberate. Krispy Kreme has gone from a cabinet I walk past and ignore in Tesco to being one of those viral Internet things everyone likes so much, and Dunkin' Donuts have simultaneously gained themselves a ton of good feeling amongst football fans who dislike Liverpool, as well as ensuring that Liverpool's notoriously vocal and whiny supporters will forever give them free advertising in the form of LA NEVER FURGET THE SHOCCHHHIN' DIZZPLAY OF DIZZRESPEC'.

Guaranteed, in 2525 some disrguntled RoboScouser will be holobashing about how Dunkin' Donut branded nutrition pills should be boycotted because before the Nano Wars they teamed up with Rupert Murdoch to piss on Ken Bigley's grave. Free advertising FOREVER.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Liverpool FC is one of the most storied clubs in England, known for their long history of winning lots of titles (not recently) and the tragedy of the Hillsborough disaster of 1989. "You'll Never Walk Alone" has been the clubs slogan since the 1960s, and the phrase gained increased importance to club supporters since the 1989 tragedy.

"You'll never walk alone" sounds like a really inappropriate slogan to associate with a disaster caused by thousands of people trying to walk into the stadium together. It's like identifying "Fly the friendly skies" with 9/11.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Disgusting Coward posted:

I know LOL ADVERSE ADVERTISING is a fairly tired response to every P.R blunder but I genuinely believe KKK and this Dunking Donuts thing are deliberate. Krispy Kreme has gone from a cabinet I walk past and ignore in Tesco to being one of those viral Internet things everyone likes so much, and Dunkin' Donuts have simultaneously gained themselves a ton of good feeling amongst football fans who dislike Liverpool, as well as ensuring that Liverpool's notoriously vocal and whiny supporters will forever give them free advertising in the form of LA NEVER FURGET THE SHOCCHHHIN' DIZZPLAY OF DIZZRESPEC'.

Guaranteed, in 2525 some disrguntled RoboScouser will be holobashing about how Dunkin' Donut branded nutrition pills should be boycotted because before the Nano Wars they teamed up with Rupert Murdoch to piss on Ken Bigley's grave. Free advertising FOREVER.
I'm kind of with on you on the fact that there will probably a be a net gain in terms of publicity. It didn't hurt the Sun too much, did it? I can't see either of them being deliberate though.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Wandle Cax posted:

Dude this is really really basic stuff. If you're in an ad for a company you absolutely can't be in another ad using the competitor's product. Simple as that, of course it doesn't matter if you're playing another character. This is all standard contractual stuff in any ad ever made. Also Nintendo and Sony are competitors, in that they are both video game companies.

It is contractual, but it is not trademark violation. Most companies make their talent sign some kind of exclusivity agreement if they are going to be a major spokesperson, and he clearly violated that. But it has nothing to do with trademark.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

bringmyfishback posted:

Marineland is awesome. There is a pit full of the laziest bears on earth and you can feed them special bear snacks. Toss what looks like a corn pop at a lazy fat bear and it catches it in its mouth. If it doesn't catch it it just looks at you like you threw it badly.

Marineland should forgo the commercials of the rollercoasters and dolphins and just have 30 quiet seconds of fat bears lazily eating snacks.

Edit: When I went about 10 years ago, the snacks for them were specially designed bear food with powdered vitamins sprinkled onto it. The person selling it was careful to tell everyone who bought some that it is for the bears, and while not toxic to humans, not a good idea to eat as the vitamin content it was higher than humans need. And the bears had teeth (you can see two bears with teeth in the photo).

Mouse Dresser has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Wandle Cax posted:

That's just breach of contract though, it has nothing to do with being a "trademark violation." Also, breach of contract doesn't generally have the same requirement of enforcement against known breaches that trademark does (protect it or lose it). In fact, most contracts have language that a party's failure to enforce its rights under the contract in one instance is expressly not a waiver of the right to enforce the contract in another instance.

Guy probably shouldn't have done a commercial that violated his contract, but Sony probably shouldn't have blown up a good advertising campaign over it. I suppose, however, that we're just assuming the campaign was successful because we liked it and didn't like what followed. It's entirely possible that Sony just wasn't happy with the returns being generated by the campaign and was looking for a reason to terminate him.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

What's wrong with it? I mean it's an overwrought ad for a terrible drink at Starbucks, but that's pretty typical.

:ninja: edit: Oh wait, twin towers, lol.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Not My Leg posted:

That's just breach of contract though, it has nothing to do with being a "trademark violation." Also, breach of contract doesn't generally have the same requirement of enforcement against known breaches that trademark does (protect it or lose it). In fact, most contracts have language that a party's failure to enforce its rights under the contract in one instance is expressly not a waiver of the right to enforce the contract in another instance.

Yes it does have to do with it. It's misappropriation and confusion. Failure to enforce rights is absolutely part of trademark law, and why no corporation will ever let something like that slide without at a minimum sending C&D notices or filing lawsuits. No corporate attorney is ever going to look at the tiniest possible trademark issue and say "eh no big deal let it go".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That's not a real ad.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pentyne posted:

That's not a real ad.

The funny part is that one store did accept it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

The funny part is that one store did accept it

It's one of those things where its easier to just list the sale as a special coupon and charge the list price and then call corporate/franchise owner and ask rather then argue with a customer. If there's a horde of people trying to use it then that's when you refuse to accept it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Irisi posted:

Aaargh, my toes curled in on themselves in horrified embarrassment the instant I saw that. Stellar job there, Dunkin Donuts. beautiful example of why you should always run your shiny new advertising idea past someone who might have a particle of knowledge about the organisation you're sponsoring.

If I had a nickel for every marketer convinced they didn't need to do research because they already knew how to "hack the human animal", I'd have the salary of a successful marketer.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Re: this Sony guy. A friend of a friend was the face of an ad campaign for a particular lager. He wasn't allowed to drink any other lager in a pub, unless they didn't have his on offer and then he had to ask for a generic glass. Apparently the fear was that someone would snap a pic of him holding a glass emblazoned with a rival drink's name or a bartender would tell people he didn't even drink the lager he advertised and the press would have a field day about it.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mouse Dresser posted:

Marineland is awesome. There is a pit full of the laziest bears on earth and you can feed them special bear snacks. Toss what looks like a corn pop at a lazy fat bear and it catches it in its mouth. If it doesn't catch it it just looks at you like you threw it badly.

This post made me want to go to Marineland.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

QUACKTASTIC posted:

This post made me want to go to Marineland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marineland_(Ontario)

quote:

In 1977, The U.S. Department of Fisheries seized six bottlenose dolphins that had been illegally caught by John Holer in the Gulf of Mexico.[3]

September 2011, SeaWorld won a court battle with Marineland over the fate of Ikaika The Killer Whale. Ikaika had been originally loaned to Marineland under the terms of a breeding loan agreement between the two organizations, but SeaWorld decided to terminate the agreement due to concerns about Ikaika's mental and physical well-being due to deteriorating conditions at the park. Marineland initially refused to return Ikaika, but was eventually ordered to by the Ontario Superior Court as well as pay $255,000 in compensation to SeaWorld for legal expenses.[12]

On August 15, 2012, the Toronto Star published an article alleging that many sea mammals at Marineland live in inhumane conditions and suffer from a variety of illnesses caused by problems with water quality and chronic under-staffing. John Holer denied the allegations in the report, which was largely based on interviews conducted with former Marineland employees.[13]

On September 10, 2012 the Toronto Star published an article quoting former Marineland supervisor Jim Hammond alleging that Marineland owner, John Holer, had shot one of the baby deer in his park through the windpipe with a 12-gauge shotgun, leaving it to choke on its blood without dying. Hammond claimed the park owner refused his pleas for humane euthanasia.[14]

On December 20, 2012 the Ontario Ministry of the Environment announced an investigation into several mass animal graves at the park. The ministry had no previous knowledge of the graves, as Marineland lacks permits for such use.[15]

On March 5, 2013, the Toronto Star published an article quoting Hammond and a local resident alleging that John Holer had shot two Labrador Retrievers that had escaped a neighbour's house and entered Marineland property. The article also mentioned that Hammond was told by Holer “to check if there were any collars . . . around their necks and if there were, to remove them.” [16]

In September 2013, it was reported that the Ontario College of Veterinarians was investigating an unspecified number of veterinarians at Marineland.[29]

Hopefully this post makes you not want to go to Marineland.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Marineland is probably best known around my house for supplying the tune to a song I wrote as a child about my brother peeing the bed. It is called "Urineland" (yer-EEN-land) and ends with "Seeing friends you've missed/a great big piss."

Also, to actually contribute to the thread, Baskin Robbins was running this ad a few months ago and I thought it was funny:

:getin:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Not My Leg posted:

Guy probably shouldn't have done a commercial that violated his contract, but Sony probably shouldn't have blown up a good advertising campaign over it. I suppose, however, that we're just assuming the campaign was successful because we liked it and didn't like what followed. It's entirely possible that Sony just wasn't happy with the returns being generated by the campaign and was looking for a reason to terminate him.

From what I read, he was no longer working with Sony prior to doing the Bridgestone advert. Still, could have been in his contract not to appear playing a competitor's games in such and such span of time.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes it does have to do with it. It's misappropriation and confusion. Failure to enforce rights is absolutely part of trademark law, and why no corporation will ever let something like that slide without at a minimum sending C&D notices or filing lawsuits. No corporate attorney is ever going to look at the tiniest possible trademark issue and say "eh no big deal let it go".

Okay, you're still missing the part where this is not a goddamn trademark issue. His character was not a registered trademark. He was not used by a competing company. The character was not even in the goddamn commercial, it was just the same actor playing a game. This is Sony being overly litigious, and that's exactly what makes it bad for their public image.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Feb 27, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

From what I read, he was no longer working with Sony prior to doing the Bridgestone advert. Still, could have been in his contract not to appear playing a competitor's games in such and such span of time.

Okay, you're still missing the part where this is not a goddamn trademark issue.

quote:

On September 11, 2012, Sony sued Lambert for "trademark infringement" due to his appearance in a Bridgestone commercial that featured the Wii as part of a sales promotion. They settled four months later, with Lambert agreeing not to appear in video game advertisements for two years.

Whether or not Sony would've won isn't the point, they made it a trademark issue and that's what it was.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pentyne posted:

Whether or not Sony would've won isn't the point, they made it a trademark issue and that's what it was.

Look, when a "trademark dispute" amounts to "well, we have no leg to stand on and also do not in fact own this trademark we are alleging we do but gently caress you we're taking you to court", I would argue that there is in fact no dispute. It's just Sony wagging its dick around because no one's going to bother calling them on it over something so inconsequential.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ego-bot posted:

It does.
Living on the other side of the world helps too.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Okay, you're still missing the part where this is not a goddamn trademark issue. His character was not a registered trademark. He was not used by a competing company. The character was not even in the goddamn commercial, it was just the same actor playing a game. This is Sony being overly litigious, and that's exactly what makes it bad for their public image.

The dumb thing is that he's just a generic guy talking about a product, so any ad he does can be argued to be a similar character.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Cleretic posted:

Taking that as an example, Michael Jordan's got a following, and a degree of authenticity. If you're a fan of Michael Jordan, you might not directly go 'oh poo poo, he's endorsing Pepsi, time to ditch Coke forever', but you'll see Pepsi more favorably because that baskeballer you like, and maybe consider a role model, likes it.

For another example, let's go with a real-world one from last year.

Joan Rivers putting her own spin on the new iPhone, and giving a personalized endorsement, is a pretty good use of her. It's a little bit relevant, but only in the sense that Joan Rivers, and people who follow her on social media, are probably people who would want and use iPhones; Michael Jordan probably drinks soda, too, so it's honestly about equal to your example in relevance. It's also got an aspect of attribution to it; Rivers carries elements of affluence, trendiness, high-class, and yet carries a shade of humor and personality. They're all things that Apple want people to associate with the iPhone, so a celebrity endorsement from Joan Rivers makes sense.

Of course, this one fell a bit flat because she was dead at the time.

So either her agent employed the worst PR agency to run her social media accounts, or alternatively they outsourced that job to a cultural setting where it'd be very easy to miss out on news of her passing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So either her agent employed the worst PR agency to run her social media accounts, or alternatively they outsourced that job to a cultural setting where it'd be very easy to miss out on news of her passing.

More likely the former than the latter, seems like it was a scheduled tweet that they missed cancelling.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ego-bot posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marineland_(Ontario)

Nope, still want to go.

They have a really, really good roller coaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Zombie Joan Rivers reminded me of this one from right after the Batman movie spree killing: