Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

TraderStav posted:

If the apps were more robust I think I would go full boat to WP as I really like the interface and structure of the OS. What's the trajectory here? Is WP gaining momentum and we SHOULD see improvement in this space at some point or have developers uniformally cast it out and it's going to be neglected until ~*something*~ changes that?

Once the universal app model hits the scene this fall, developers will be racing to release top quality first class software for everyone who uses Windows Store metro apps on their desktops as well as Windows tablet and Windows Phone users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

Once the universal app model hits the scene this fall, developers will be racing to release top quality first class software for everyone who uses Windows Store metro apps on their desktops as well as Windows tablet and Windows Phone users.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. Hardly anyone is currently developing new software as WPF/Win Form/Silverlight/Windows Store Apps. And no one is doing that for the ARM platform. People are mostly writing new software as either direct C++, websites, or directly for Android and iOS.

There will be a lift from Win10 but it's still going to be a huge uphill fight to get software on the platform. Also WinPho10 will still be ARM instead of the x86 like the majority of Windows Store apps so that will still be a huge hurdle to overcome.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stick100 posted:

I'm sorry but that's just not true. Hardly anyone is currently developing new software as WPF/Win Form/Silverlight/Windows Store Apps. And no one is doing that for the ARM platform. People are mostly writing new software as either direct C++, websites, or directly for Android and iOS.

There will be a lift from Win10 but it's still going to be a huge uphill fight to get software on the platform. Also WinPho10 will still be ARM instead of the x86 like the majority of Windows Store apps so that will still be a huge hurdle to overcome.

:shh: I think that was sarcasm.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LifeSizePotato posted:

Once the universal app model hits the scene this fall.

It exists right now. It has since Windows 8.1. Unless they are planning to make radical changes to the shared project model they have right now, but I doubt it. Note that I'm usually wrong on things outside of the company I work for so :v:.

Windows Phone still suffers from the "Why Bother?" question. Even though it's easy to port your Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 app over, why bother if only a subset of our users are going to actually use it? And now you have to maintain it too? I can't see many business jumping at the chance for it. For indie developers like myself, it makes more sense. We're probably really into said platform anyway, and getting our work out easier and quicker is really nice.

edit: So what if that post was sarcastic, my point still stands! :v:

edit2:

quote:

Waaaa. Being ARM is totally irrelevant. I remember listening to something like this said on the Vergecast and it made me go :psyduck: then too. WinRT apps, by default, are compiled for AnyCPU. It does not matter what they run on, they just run (This is why, when you build apps for the Windows Store, they also appear on Windows RT tablets. Unless you specifically don't compile an ARM build, and you have to specifically turn it off when building store apps, it's done automatically). And if you need platform specific builds, they get built as well when you create your Appx file. For Windows Store apps, it's does not matter if it's Arm or x86.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 26, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Pretend I posted that doing my best Joe Belfiore impression.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Denim finally out for the ATT 1520.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TraderStav posted:

Would you recommend my checking out wp10 preview? Any chance that would overwrite Crickets disabling of my tethering since I imagine it's a new ROM. How is the speed of the 635 in WP10?

Spent a little more time this afternoon cruising the app store and found many of the common ones that I am missing. Started customizing the tiles too and making it feel more like home.

Not really, most of the changes right now are behind the scenes stuff, the end user experience isn't really any better (may be worse in some areas).

LifeSizePotato posted:

Pretend I posted that doing my best Joe Belfiore impression.

Nice hair!

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
So the consensus is that Windows 10 will continue to not have app support from major developers?

Should my next phone be a nexus or an iPhone?

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

So the consensus is that Windows 10 will continue to not have app support from major developers?

I haven't been convinced that anything will change drastically. There's no reason to care about universal apps when nobody uses Windows Phone or tablets, and I can't imagine the desktop userbase that MS thinks they'll leverage are going to jump into the Windows Store app world when the current desktop software+website paradigm works just fine. (I could see why it would be nice for the Windows Store to be a one-stop shop for all your desktop applications like Photoshop and whatnot, but that's neither here nor there.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm convinced that the userbase has eroded because they haven't been making new phones, but then I blame every problem on the fact that they haven't been making new phones.

Obligatory post about flagship news being promised by Chinese New Year etc etc etc

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

(I could see why it would be nice for the Windows Store to be a one-stop shop for all your desktop applications like Photoshop and whatnot, but that's neither here nor there.)

Except developers don't exactly like giving up 30% revenue to MS for no noticeable benefit. Adobe has been pushing a subscription to tools and web stuff instead of purchased desktop applications for a couple years now.

Also keep in mind that Photoshop probably can't even run (without a massive engineering effort) through the Windows Store system as it uses a completely different architecture than the direct C++ windows calls Adobe has been using for the past 30 years. Desktop applications can't go into the Windows Store without be rewritten from scratch and some applications can never every possibly be in the windows store (backup applications as an example) because they require APIs and capabilities that MS has decided will never be provided though the Windows Store APIs.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

That's kind of my point, the software people use to do things on their desktops doesn't lend itself to the Windows Store concept, which MS thinks is going to be bolstered by tying together desktop/tablet/phone. The whole strategy just seems half-baked and poorly executed.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Also keep in mind that Photoshop probably can't even run (without a massive engineering effort) through the Windows Store system as it uses a completely different architecture than the direct C++ windows calls Adobe has been using for the past 30 years.

You can have "desktop apps" (As in, Win32/WPF apps) in the Windows 8.1 store right now. They are classified as "Desktop Apps" and it's the same thing as what you would get going directly to the app developer. Of course, Adobe would not do that because they have their own cloud thing going on, but for other developers the system is basically as it would be on the Mac App Store.

We don't know what this will look like for Windows 10, but I can see them doing something similar. Seeing that there is no Windows RT tablets being released anymore, there is less worry about "Oh no, this desktop app won't run on my Surface RT!" confusion happening. If anything, they may drop the distinction, or label apps as "tablet friendly".

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
If a quarter of the Windows 7 & 8 users take advantage of the free upgrade, you'd stop hearing the excuse of market share is too low to bother making an app. You still might not have a lot of users, but there will suddenly be a lot more potential customers. I think that is MS hope for the universal apps. As a developer, that would probably matter if you decide to port your successful ios or Android apps.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have to say, this discussion is not very encouraging.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Now there's a thread title.

Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - I have to say, this discussion is not very encouraging

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, I still have hope, to the point that to replace my Galaxy S4 (bought on July 2013), I'll wait up to September and see if MS releases a 1530, 1030 or even a 940 (1530 prefered because for once I have a hulking green phone).

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LifeSizePotato posted:

Now there's a thread title.

Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - I have to say, this discussion is not very encouraging

I laughed a sad little laugh

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I have to say, this discussion is not very encouraging.

Yeah, while the Z3c I sold you is getting worked on, the 635 you have (and WP as a whole) is probably a shock to the system. I have used both Android and WP for years (since the original Samsung FOCUS) and while I really like WP (have the 1520) it remains a hobby. Just can't do it full time.

I mean, SA is a very dramatic and opinionated place - we all know this. If you want sunshine and rainbows, hop on Windowscentral or something to see a small .01 app update makes front page news. It's kind of strange, but it is what it is.

There are certainly issues with Windows Phone - lots - but it isn't going anywhere. I really enjoy the platform and with Denim on the 1520 now, the camera on this thing is a beast and a half. If you accept it for what it is and perhaps hold on to [empty?] hope, it's bound to improve slowly.

In the end, I think once the Z3c comes back to you, putting the SIM in it will feel like home for sure....but WP is always there to tinker with. At least that's how I view the platform. May change one day but not yet. One step forward and two steps back is usually the way things work with WP. It can get very frustrating.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
ok last one for awhile I promise

Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone: accept it for what it is and perhaps hold on to [empty?] hope

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

ok last one for awhile I promise

Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone: accept it for what it is and perhaps hold on to [empty?] hope

And don't try to listen to Hold On Hope with the Windows Phone Rdio app because there's a 90% it won't loving work.

edit: I also agree with hotsauce. The denim upgrade on the 1520 takes the camera from really great, to outstanding for me. It's so drat fast now.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 27, 2015

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The google apps look like rear end , on purpose I guess, through the browser.

I guess what I've learned there is - don't google. The apps look like they did on my i880 Nextel. Use what works IMO.

I'm going to get off of Sprint, they can suck eggs with their lack of device selection on WinPho, but please throw me a bone here with a flagship to spend the cash on.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
My 820 has started draining the battery really fast recently. I've replaced the battery, and it's still draining much faster than normal. May have to accelerate my plans to get a new phone, WP or otherwise.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've tried both the forums readers and find Awful nicer and faster, however when you read a thread every username is "Awful Poster". Any suggestions on how to fix?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Drastic Actions posted:

For Windows Store apps, it's does not matter if it's Arm or x86.
The AnyCPU poo poo only applies to .NET apps. C++ still requires platform specific builds. But that isn't a problem either, as long you don't try to distribute them outside the app store or use blacklisted Win32 APIs. Only thing that sucks is that you can't use __asm sections in ARM builds for CPU specific optimizations (mostly just voodoo memcpys).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The AnyCPU poo poo only applies to .NET apps. C++ still requires platform specific builds. But that isn't a problem either, as long you don't try to distribute them outside the app store or use blacklisted Win32 APIs. Only thing that sucks is that you can't use __asm sections in ARM builds for CPU specific optimizations (mostly just voodoo memcpys).

A friend of mine was saying that the universal structure is going to all Android apps to run on WP10? Is that true, folly, or something that is kind of true but won't really work in reality?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

TraderStav posted:

I've tried both the forums readers and find Awful nicer and faster, however when you read a thread every username is "Awful Poster". Any suggestions on how to fix?

bootleg robot, the original developer of that app, abandoned it. It's a bug when the forums made a slight css change, which breaks his html parsing. So you can't fix it. But I will agree that his app looks somewhat nicer than mine. Too bad it's Silverlight.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if my app is slow for you (As in, in hangs for a few seconds when switching threads), It's fixed in the beta, I just haven't pushed it out to the store proper yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

bootleg robot, the original developer of that app, abandoned it. It's a bug when the forums made a slight css change, which breaks his html parsing. So you can't fix it. But I will agree that his app looks somewhat nicer than mine. Too bad it's Silverlight.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if my app is slow for you (As in, in hangs for a few seconds when switching threads), It's fixed in the beta, I just haven't pushed it out to the store proper yet.

Thanks for the info. I am finding it takes about 15-20 seconds to refresh the bookmarks. By that time I'm usually done at the urinal.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So the transition from Gmail to Outlook had been going well so far but I've run into an issue trying to manage my contacts through Outlook. After finding that my contacts didn't carry over from Gmail during the account import process, I tried to perform a manual import using a .csv file that Gmail created only to find that the People web app on a Windows Live doesn't work. When I try to load the site, it either can't find the webpage or returns a error stating that it can't find my mailbox.

This is what the error looks like.

Is anyone else having this problem? Or is it just me because I recently changed my primary alias to the new Outlook account and it's still in the middle of transitioning over?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That .csv file thing is exactly the process I used when I switched over and it worked for me, so either it broke recently or it's confused by your alias, yeah :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TraderStav posted:

A friend of mine was saying that the universal structure is going to all Android apps to run on WP10? Is that true, folly, or something that is kind of true but won't really work in reality?
That's kind of bullshit. Android apps are almost Java apps with a custom base class library (or whatever the correct term is). It's possible to make them run on WP10, if it supplies a proper runtime for it, but I doubt that Microsoft is going to spend any effort on doing this. Android apps with native code will be a little trickier, because then you also need to supply an ELF loader and emulate a variety of Linux and OpenGL interfaces.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was against that idea the last time someone suggested it because it would effectively kill the Windows Phone platform, but honestly the Windows Phone platform is dead now anyway so sure bring on the Android apps :shrug:

Just make sure they run better than they did on BlackBerry.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

It's false as stated. Universal structure will make it easier to make a WinPh10 and WindowsStore10 app at the same time. This is announced and well understood.

There is a completely separate thought that MS might add the requirement and allow Android apps to run on Windows Phone (Like Blackberry did with Blackberry OS). This is purely rumor and hoped for or feared by different parts of the WinPho fan base.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I'm noticing a good number of Windows phones (and I think a few Surface Pro 3s) in the latest season of House of Cards. I seem to recall seeing Apple gear in use in earlier seasons, so it seems like Microsoft is trying to bring in some product placement.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This app is really well done. Wish many of the other unofficial ones were. All the reddit ones I try are crummy.

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

TraderStav posted:

This app is really well done. Wish many of the other unofficial ones were. All the reddit ones I try are crummy.

Readit is pretty good but it tends to crash a lot on 512MB devices. They also chose to go with Reddit's official font for the 2.0 beta and I personally find it really difficult to read.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy

TraderStav posted:

All the reddit ones I try are crummy.

Probably for the best, honestly.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, like was mentioned, Readit is great. The beta version is very slick as well.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I suddenly need to start having access to google hangouts in a mobile setting. Theres no way to do this on a 920, right? Not even web based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I suddenly need to start having access to google hangouts in a mobile setting. Theres no way to do this on a 920, right? Not even web based?

IM+