Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

gently caress you ALP.

So this happened:

Good riddance you loving nutter.

The FGM talking point is really bizare, because its also a *catholic* practice in many african countries too. I wonder if these loons are going to picket churches too. I mean poo poo, we literally have priests loving children here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mattjpwns posted:

The only post I had to give a :golfclap: for was "according to this andrew bolt colour chart any dress that's less than 50% black is actually white"

Ahaha, nice.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

duck monster posted:

The FGM talking point is really bizare, because its also a *catholic* practice in many african countries too. I wonder if these loons are going to picket churches too. I mean poo poo, we literally have priests loving children here.

None of it is actually based in fact, it's all just xenophobic country bogans. I lived in Bendigo for 8 years and in the deep country for ~12 and the demographics are almost identical.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I love where his speech bubbles are coming from.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rapner posted:

None of it is actually based in fact, it's all just xenophobic country bogans. I lived in Bendigo for 8 years and in the deep country for ~12 and the demographics are almost identical.

There is a lot of it unfortunately but it's not all like that. Bendigo has changed a lot in the time I've been here. You expect the really tragic cases to end up in the local council here though, its how the state and federal parties get rid of their no-hopers. Usually these nutters last a term and are gone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lid posted:

Meanwhile behind closed doors

"CONCERNS over the Liberal Party accounts were so great that honorary treasurer Philip Higginson suggested hiring outside auditors to check the finances, triggering an explosive row that forced Tony Abbott to intervene and ask his friend to quit."

This too is from The Australian but holy lol, they've been eating each other. Apparently Tony's love for Peta extends to her cuckolded husband. Swingers?

The only thing I can see when I read that is that someone in the LNP has their hand in the cookie jar up to the shoulder.

There's millions TENS of millions of dollars in that fund. That's a lot of temptation for the born to rule/the world is mine types.

What if it's Tony?

:chanpop:

Mattjpwns posted:

Meanwhile on social media, all the Australians I know are debating over the colour of a dress.

What?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who killed my Koala?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ewe2 posted:

gently caress you ALP.

So this happened:

Good riddance you loving nutter.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/bendigo-councillor-elise-chapman-tweets-genital-mutilation-image-to-mosque-supporter-20150226-13ppyf.html

quote:

Cr Chapman has been an outspoken critic of the mosque, and described herself as "not a fan of Islam".

"I wouldn't want to live near a mosque. Would you?" she said after council approved the mosque last year. She said at the time that under Islam, any non-believers were not worthy and should be killed.

"Every day in the media there are cases of people being raped by Muslims ... and there is no doubt a mosque would see more Muslims move to Bendigo," she said. "Islam is not a race though and I am not racist."

She later backed her comments, saying: "The people of Bendigo have every right to object to the application for a mosque without being labelled a racist or bigot."

Cr Chapman was one of only two councillors to vote against the proposal to build a mosque in Bendigo East. The developers received a planning permit in June 2014.

A group of residents are challenging the decision to grant a permit on planning and social grounds in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

They have also raised concerns about the impact of "Sharia Law" on their community.

The VCAT hearing continued this week, with a decision not expected for months. Cr Chapman describes herself as "proudly Team Australia" on Twitter, and writes that the views she shares are hers, and not those of the council.

She has not signed the council code of conduct, saying she does not agree with its contents.

The code states that councillors will treat all people with courtesy and respect, including "treating members of the community with dignity and ensuring that neither offence nor embarrassment are caused"

[...]
She repeatedly referred to an ABC article published in 2010 that was posted to her on Twitter after she had tweeted the photo. The article stated that 600 to 700 women had reported to the Royal Melbourne hospital with some form of genital mutilation in a single year.

"I don't support many things Islam does and inequality and female genital mutilation are high on that list," she said.

"We have more than 600 women presenting to one hospital with female genital mutilation each year and not one person is getting arrested for it.

"If I came at you on the street with a pair of scissors and cut your genitals, I'd get arrested for it."

Cr Chapman said that many Muslims did not assimilate into society, and that the Koran supported dangerous ideas, but she was only opposed to building a mosque on planning grounds.

"I understand that not every Muslim is a radical or a terrorist, there are some moderate Muslims. I don't know if you've read the Koran, I have and I don't agree with it."

"What is in there is very dangerous, very dangerous indeed."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

katlington posted:

She has not signed the council code of conduct, saying she does not agree with its contents.

The code states that councillors will treat all people with courtesy and respect, including "treating members of the community with dignity and ensuring that neither offence nor embarrassment are caused"

Well, no loving wonder she hasn't signed it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nuclear Spy posted:

Reminder to Adelaide goons that this is happening next Tuesday.

Assuming I'm not working, I'll see y'all there.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Splode posted:

lol how long have you had that red text?

Couple of days, I picked it up after telling some people they were being stupid for doing the whole "haha hippys raw milk smashed avocado" thing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

An optical illusion related to how light levels affect perception of colour.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That dress thing is a pretty interesting example of how your eyes work, to be fair.

Found this explanation in another thread

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

:eng101: It's a visual perception thing! If your eyes are straining (dim lighting conditions or lower-functioning light sensitivity) you see it as white and gold because your eyes are doing additive color mixing. If you're in good light or have good light sensitivity in your cones, your eyes perform subtractive color mixing and you see it as blue and black. I saw it as blue and black an hour ago at my office, and now at my apartment with somewhat dimmer lighting I can't see it as anything but white and gold.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bloody mussleman! rargh! *kicks xbox*

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

IslamoNazi posted:

But I see it as blue and gold :(

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ragingsheep posted:

But I see it as blue and gold :(

I do too, it must mean our eyes are only halfway to hosed

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

some fashion rag posted two photos of identical coloured fabric but inverted patterned dresses, one was about 1EV darker with cooler white balance. as iphone cameras do.

people declared the darker one was blue and black, the other white and gold.

buzz feed got on it and now everyone is colourblind.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

IslamoNazi posted:

And also half the people are going to be viewing it on lovely 6-bit narrow gamut TN LCDs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just thought it was some dumb lovely camera phone thing.

I bought car seats and the seller sent me pictures from his phone, and they were a bluey-purple grey colour.

When I got them they are black as night. My iphone6 took a same-ish picture in similar light and they are black.

I just put it down to usual android phone poverty-spec cameras. Figured the dress thing was the same thing.

Also I joined the greens today.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i dont join political parties. im a lone wofl

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Orkin Mang posted:

i dont join political parties. im a lone wofl

"lone wolf extremist eschews democracy" - the Australian

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

And also half the people are going to be viewing it on lovely 6-bit narrow gamut TN LCDs.

Yeah, i thought it might have something to do with colour rendering and a mix up in jpeg headers.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tithin posted:

"lone wolf extremist eschews democracy" - the Australian

*crotches inaccurate flag*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kommando, can you give me the most hilarious and fitting avatar you can think of, this new one is so weak.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kommando posted:

Yeah, i thought it might have something to do with colour rendering and a mix up in jpeg headers.

If you can see it in white and gold try squinting.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Kommando, can you give me the most hilarious and fitting avatar you can think of, this new one is so weak.

What am I. Some sort of sugar daddy for poor brisgoons?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Peter Wellington nominated as Speaker in Queensland Parliament.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kommando posted:

What am I. Some sort of sugar daddy for poor brisgoons?

No, you're leader. I told you this.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Anidav posted:

If Asphyxious is still giving them out, I nominate Wheelie with some sort of terrible rhyme as the text. E.G:

"Quitting labor has me overjoyed,
though I still am unemployed." stuck in qld send help

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

quote:

LIBERAL deputy whip Andrew Nikolic has dismissed speculation about Tony Abbott’s leadership as “rumours out of the Canberra press gallery”.

“There is no basis in fact in what is being said,” Mr Nikolic said.

“We are getting on with the job and have announced measures over the past week – welfare changes, foreign investment changes and, from the Intelligence and Security committee, there are the metadata changes.

“We are concentrating on the job not rumours and the soap opera politics we saw before the 2013 election.”

MORE: LIBS’ SPILL ‘MADNESS’ REIGNITES

MORE: TURNBULL’S ‘CLEAN PAIR OF HANDS’ STRATEGY

MORE: ABBOTT SURVIVES VOTE BUT PUT ON NOTICE

Mr Nikolic was recently appointed as a deputy Liberal whip after Mr Abbott removed then-chief government whip Phillip Ruddock.

It was speculated that Mr Ruddock had not provided Mr Abbott with sufficient intelligence about the backbench-generated spill motion which was defeated 61-39.

Mr Nikolic said Tasmanian representatives met Mr Abbott this week and there were promising signs on a number of Tasmanian projects

This guy hitched himself to the wrong wagon. He is scum, even Lambie supports her constituency much better than him, and is a better politician

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Gaspy will always make me Starscream, even in non-Transformers mafia. Just. Sudden. Starscream.

Every mafia game.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Regarding the upcoming libspill, a visit from our favourite lunar canine:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
From Reddit AU board:

quote:

Labor is set to wave through the government's ineffective, draconian #DataRetention laws. Call your ALP Senators ASAP.

VIC Kim Carr (03) 9639 2798
VIC Jacinta Collins (03) 9890 7022
VIC Stephen Conroy 1300 131 546
VIC Gavin Marshall (03) 9348 9699
TAS Catrina Bilyk (03) 6229 4444
TAS Carol Brown (03) 6231 0099
TAS Helen Polley 1300 134 923
TAS Lisa Singh (03) 6223 1135
TAS Anne Urquart 1300 792 331
WA Joseph Bullock (08) 9472 6177
WA Sue Lines 1300 655 388
WA Glen Sterle 1300 666 494
NSW Doug Cameron (02) 4751 4288
NSW Sam Dastyari (02) 9326 5987
NSW Mary O'Neill (02) 4367 4565
SA Alex Gallacher (08) 8269 6022
SA Anne McEwan 1300 889 477
SA Penny Wong 1300 301 698
QLD Chris Ketter 1300 884 489
QLD Joseph Ludwig 1300 301 944
QLD Jan McLucas 1300 301 959
QLP Mary Moore 1300 301 879
ACT Kate Lundy (02) 6230 0411
NT Nova Peris (08) 8941 0003

I called some of them. One guy didn't say much, but another one spent 10 minutes explaining their position. Calling can make a big difference.

The metadata exists already (your Telco can already know where you are all times, and which website you visited and when, who you emailed and when, but not necessarily saved and placed in an easy location to get the info) but if it's going to be made into law, anyone with enough money will be able to get at it (ie, Civil prosecutions, big business etc).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 27, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Comstar posted:

From Reddit AU board:

I called some of them. One guy didn't say much, but another one spent 10 minutes explaining their position. Calling can make a big difference.

Yes, you wasted ten minutes of your time and theirs.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
^^ has that been saved as a jpeg 3 times over

Nuclear Spy posted:

Reminder to Adelaide goons that this is happening next Tuesday.

Fringe-ing at 9, but I should be able to smash down a quick drink

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yes, you wasted ten minutes of your time and theirs.

I do think that the phone calls and public outrage already slowed down/killed the Medicare co-payment, and every call is another buzz in the Senator's staffers ear.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
georg brandees he rack der wisderm

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hoping libspill2 goes down this weekend so we can all go bezerk shitposting and raptor fag can drop in.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Add Bill Shorten's number to the list: (03) 9326 1300

All the senators being called seem pretty shocked at the response - don't be complacent. If you're on this thread you give a poo poo and should be on the phone. If you don't think mass direct action with your representatives can change things then I don't know why you even bother to follow politics in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If there's one thing we can rely on, it's Reddit's courageous defence against onerous laws that will expose just how much anime they download.

• Locked thread