Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish I was Beer Waifu, because I could use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

atem is a pretty cool dude

yugi is boring as gently caress though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I've read spoilers on the Barian bullshit and I am NOT HAPPY about where Shark heads as a character, let me tell you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Asking Katsumi Ono to dial back on the dragons is probably asking too much.

Endorph posted:

:agreed:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

Unless it is crazy Orechalkos-possessed ghost Yugi loving with Atem in a mirror duel. :unsmigghh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I always found Atem boring as poo poo when he wasn't killing people, which stopped happening after Duelist Kingdom. The only other series I've watched much of is Arc-V, and Yuya beats him by far.

I did just watch the first ep of GX though, and Jaden is really cool. I like when my protagonists are just in it for the fun, without being too stupid.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Syrus: Think we were somehow connected to each other in some ancient life Jaden? You know, like you were an Egyptian Pharaoh and i was the guardian Seto?
Jaden: No offense but that's just lame.

Sheppard: You see, this academy was built in part to protect the Sacred Beast cards. They were buried deep underground, their power sealed safely away. After all, legend says if these cards ever see the light of day, terrible things will happen. Buildings will crumble, light will fade, souls will fall, our world will be no more.
Jaden: So where are these cards? I say we take ‘em out for a spin!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sad that more wasn't done with the Sacred Beasts, I thought they were cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It doesn't help Kagemaru was possibly the worst villain in Yugioh history. Just zero presence or personality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

There is a chance they're trying to get the audience to think Dennis is shady as all hell (and I'll guarantee you, he has some secrets like everyone in this show), but I think they're just writing him as an American playboy. This is a Japanese show after all. And they have some pretty strong stereotypes for pretty boy Hollywood types. And, I'm seconding the concern over Dennis stepping in to take on Serena. The only way this can go without completely emasculating Yuzu is either to have the duel get interrupted right as Dennis is about to lose, or to have him lose, only for Yuzu to step in and save his rear end before he gets carded.

Well, it's not like Dennis is stepping in to protect Yuzu or anything he was just Serena's target from the beginning because XYZ scum and all that. I doubt Serena gives a poo poo about Yuzu at all, she's got her priorities full with proving she's a soldier by carding dudes. It's just that neither Dennis nor Serena should be losing at this point because this is Serena's first duel and Dennis is being set up as Yuya's opponent in the next round. At least that's where I think they're going with him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

NikkolasKing posted:

It doesn't help Kagemaru was possibly the worst villain in Yugioh history. Just zero presence or personality.

He had the most hilarious defeat of all the main villains, he's cool in my book.

That right there is the face of a bodybuilder who has met his match.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Strange Quark posted:

The spell card Dennis used swapped their monsters with the effect of the monster he traded over negated, so unless you're saying someone goofed in the subtitles, not really.

I had missed that, actually! That makes that card much better.

My money is on Serena winning the duel. Having her lose her debut duel after waiting so long to see her on action would be a blow to her credibility as a threat much worse than dropping Dennis' win-to-defeat ratio from 100% to 66%.

And it would be absolutely wonderful to Yuzu stepping up defend him from being carded, but I fear it's not going to happen, it would pretty much invalidate his victory over Yuzu. The likely thing is that Serena is going to leave, possibly without carding Dennis.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beef Waifu posted:

Also I've read spoilers on the Barian bullshit and I am NOT HAPPY about where Shark heads as a character, let me tell you.

It's done really well. While it may sound like a bad plot twist, it's something that was built up throughout the series and overall helps both the plot and Shark's own character.

The Barian Emperors are the one thing I'm willing to defend of Zexal, and that goes especially for Shark (okay, especially for Vector because he's the best, but Shark's second)

About main characters, Yusei was definitely my favourite as a teenager, and probably keeps being so even now. He's just flat out cool, an unflinching badass with a gritty backstory and some serious emotional issues to get over, which unsurprisingly really appealed to my teenager self, and even now I think he was done really well until the series decided to make him perfect when the series jumped the shark. Something that could've easily been avoided by not backtracking with ZONE, having him be Yusei was an excellent idea that'd prove just how serious he is about protecting the world. But nope, stupid loving red herring!
Another one I really like is early-series Dark Yugi for being a sociopath who clearly enjoyed giving people severe punishments for their misdeeds. It's sad that he actually leaves that behind once the series becomes more card game oriented and the anime doesn't show it at all, because it made for a super fun hero.

About Dennis vs Serena, I don't see it actually ending. If Serena wins, Dennis becomes a card and that's it for his character, despite being built up as an actual rival for Yuya. If Serena loses, she loses all credibility as a threat and the whole point of the Lancers gets undermined, considering Reiji clearly sees her as dangerous enough to send his Lancer candidates to her. I expect that we'll get some shenanigans that force Serena back into her dimension, perhaps due to Yuya's pendant as a parallel to Yuzu's bracelet doing the same to Yuto and Yugo. I'm honestly more interested in seeing how hard poo poo has hit the fan considering Yuya's been completely taken by rage and Sora is once again facing Shun.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I like Yusei's design a lot, except kinda the orange hubcaps which are weird. He wears a cool jacket, leather gloves, and a t-shirt! That poo poo is rad.

Also, ZeXal still sucks and the only good things I have to say about it are the CGI, which was a huge step up from 5Ds, and the music, which was pretty good. I like Hope's theme. The plot could have been really cool but they never elaborated on what ZeXal or the Door of Destiny was, and that was a major letdown for me. I'm just gonna tell myself that ZeXal was necessary to improve the animators's CGI skills before Arc-V, because it sure did its job in that case! :allears:

Edit: Also Vector was pretty cool, but nowhere near enough to make up for the show.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Blaze Dragon posted:

Another one I really like is early-series Dark Yugi for being a sociopath who clearly enjoyed giving people severe punishments for their misdeeds. It's sad that he actually leaves that behind once the series becomes more card game oriented and the anime doesn't show it at all, because it made for a super fun hero.

I love pre-Duel Monsters Dark Yugi- he's just so happy when he sets people on fire or seals a stupid kid's soul into a pot that will slowly devour his soul over three months :allears:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I started watching Arc V after reading about it in this thread, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love the concept of Action Duels, I'm just sad we'll never get a playable version of them.

Edit: I found it, it's White Hot Fighting Spirit from Sound Duel 2. Do the other shows have good soundtracks like this? I heard some of 5Ds, and I dig how it's the Yu-Gi-Oh Club Mix.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 26, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Agent Rush posted:

I love the concept of Action Duels, I'm just sad we'll never get a playable version of them.

All Yu-Gi-Oh fans would be steadfast duelists with Gong styled decks, because they're too fat to be able to go card searching.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

KittyEmpress posted:

All Yu-Gi-Oh fans would be steadfast duelists with Gong styled decks, because they're too fat to be able to go card searching.

It would certainly be an excuse for me to hit the gym more often, at least. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KittyEmpress posted:

They'll make a mobility scooter archetype who's only purpose is to let people scoot about to get action cards.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, no matter what anyone says, I think Zexal Episode 96 was great. I am loving Vector. . I think the best part though was how he ended his triumphant cackling speech with "I guess you could say things turned out...THE RAY WAY!" The dub did an awesome job.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

NikkolasKing posted:

So, no matter what anyone says, I think Zexal Episode 96 was great. I am loving Vector. . I think the best part though was how he ended his triumphant cackling speech with "I guess you could say things turned out...THE RAY WAY!" The dub did an awesome job.

It was amazing in the original his catchprase is "[I did it/it was with] the best intentions!" and there he simply gloated with "Well, all I did was with the worst intentions!" what an amazing loving heel. Vector's the best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uudfmLCKb0

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That's pretty impressive, the literal first word of the karaoke lyrics being misspelled.

edit: what kind of sicko actually makes a song with a mokuba voice clip

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This was an official song, so I'd say 4Kids.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It sounds like the original 2 B a Master! Pokemon soundtrack. (Except, the Pokemon soundtrack was good.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCU4WY30HG4

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 26, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yu-Gi-Oh 10D's, episode 151, let me get this straight: Yusei generates new rules for the game and generates the game winning Matryoshka dragon out of thin air, then ZONE basically does the same thing, but Yusei's is just big enough to outlast ZONE's because of teamwork or some poo poo, then tries to crash his flying motorcycle into the what the gently caress ever, and you guys were telling me to skip this battle? This was all sorts of loving hilarious and ruled and was the Yu-Gi-Oh-iest thing ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Whoever says to skip the ZONE fight is wrong and lame. That thing was hilarious and extreme even for YGO standards.

Literally my only complaint about is is that Yusei could've shouted a bit more when he summoned Shooting Quasar Dragon. It felt underwhelming despite knowing that Yusei's VA can shout like the best of them (okay, not that much, he's not Nobuyuki Hiyama) when he tries, like ACCEL SYNCHROOOO!!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

It sounds like the original 2 B a Master! Pokemon soundtrack. (Except, the Pokemon soundtrack was good.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCU4WY30HG4

Sorry but this is one of the greatest songs ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFh4lm8UanI

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

But for real it's nice that characters in 5D's unlike prior YGOs at least occasionally went through strategic thought processes, thought about which cards the opponent could be playing, and/or were thinking about their best lines and playing to their outs.

I can't believe they resolved the Yusei/Akiza relationship in the exact same way they resolved Jaden/Alexis :lol:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yugi was the only YGO Protagonist who expressed interest in women. Jaden, Yusei and Yuma are all too in love with Card Games to care about those things with bumps on their chests that have higher pitched voices than other people.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really expect much else from 13-year-olds.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jack Atlas next levels all of them by actually telling his swooning fan club "gently caress bitches, get card games"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I can't believe they resolved the Yusei/Akiza relationship in the exact same way they resolved Jaden/Alexis :lol:

Running off into the desert with their cat, ghost professor, and God that lives in their brain?

Edit:

NikkolasKing posted:

Yugi was the only YGO Protagonist who expressed interest in women. Jaden, Yusei and Yuma are all too in love with Card Games to care about those things with bumps on their chests that have higher pitched voices than other people.

Yuya has blushed with hearts showing up in the background. :smug:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Going back to the days of GX is so quaint. Back when drawing a card wasn't even for show, and people only summoned a single monster a turn, sometimes without an effect, even.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

/\/\/\ Hangin' out with tha CREW in the SCHOOLyard~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Running off into the desert with their cat, ghost professor, and God that lives in their brain?

With insecure girl character stammering "I love you", but stopping mid sentence and forming another sentence, and main character consoling her.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You know that's something I've noticed in ZEXAL and I have no idea if this is just how the card game is now but it seems less like monsters are worth anything because of Attack/Defense Points and more because of special abilities. Every card in ZEXAL has like 2 broken abilities and the only way to counter them is with your own monster's effects. Attack Points are best gathered by having awesome abilities rather than just having them innately. Point is, Battles are Effects vs. Effects and not Attack Points vs Attack Points.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, effects have become much more important in YGO these days. I feel like Xyz's tend to have it worse though. It's kind of hilarious when you decide to play a Vanilla deck with Tyrant's Tantrum. No effect monsters can be summoned while that card is face-up. :toot:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's part of the reason I'm a bit put off of playing again. It feels like the entire battle phase is a waste of time, because the opponent probably has some way of stopping you every single time. I prefer instant win stuff anyway, though I have no idea how viable that even is these days (probably not at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I think some Exodia decks still see play but they aren't top tier or anything. Not all pubbies use meta decks on DevPro but there are definitely enough to get annoying. I remember hearing about some kind of Exodia deck a few months ago.