Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dr. Light posted:

What is the general consensus on the Contour Roam 2? I'm just looking for my first camera, so I don't need tons of features, and the price point seems pretty good for the quality.

I really liked mine, it's a good form factor and the massive switch makes it really easy to work out if it's on or off. Quality is really good at the price point, the rotatable lens and laser level are a great idea and make it really flexible on mounting.

The only real minuses are mostly price-related - no replaceable battery, absolutely terrible wind noise in the mic with no way to replace/upgrade it (gluing foam over the mic holes does improve this a lot), low-light quality is a bit meh. There are a couple of problems that aren't really forgiveable just on price, so it's up to you whether you can live with them - you can only charge it while it's recording with a special, stupid-expensive cable and power supply, you have to use their software to adjust settings on the camera (you can sort of work round that by having a different card for each mode you want to use and write-protecting the config file but this means the date and time on the videos will be wrong).

I'd say it's a really good first camera, and fine for occasional use, but you're much better off going up a price point for a Drift or a GoPro IMO because after a while of using it the limitations - especially the battery and mic - really started to bother me. I went for the Drift Ghost-S and don't regret it at all.

(I'm with you on hating the GoPro form factor by the way, and the hack-jobs people have to do to get them chin-mounted are hilarious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I really liked mine, it's a good form factor and the massive switch makes it really easy to work out if it's on or off. Quality is really good at the price point, the rotatable lens and laser level are a great idea and make it really flexible on mounting.

The only real minuses are mostly price-related - no replaceable battery, absolutely terrible wind noise in the mic with no way to replace/upgrade it (gluing foam over the mic holes does improve this a lot), low-light quality is a bit meh. There are a couple of problems that aren't really forgiveable just on price, so it's up to you whether you can live with them - you can only charge it while it's recording with a special, stupid-expensive cable and power supply, you have to use their software to adjust settings on the camera (you can sort of work round that by having a different card for each mode you want to use and write-protecting the config file but this means the date and time on the videos will be wrong).

I'd say it's a really good first camera, and fine for occasional use, but you're much better off going up a price point for a Drift or a GoPro IMO because after a while of using it the limitations - especially the battery and mic - really started to bother me. I went for the Drift Ghost-S and don't regret it at all.

(I'm with you on hating the GoPro form factor by the way, and the hack-jobs people have to do to get them chin-mounted are hilarious)

I just found a deal for a Drift HD Ghost for $150 (Here for those interested: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899528-REG/Drift_dgt_Drift_HD_Ghost_Camcorder.html) so I'm thinking of going for that!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Has anyone tried the Monoprice MHD 2.0 yet?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm so fuckin ready for spring, just a few more weeks aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Mounted the new gopro... it's so much smaller/less clunky than the 2, really excited to put it to use

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
Velcro'ed my mobius camera that I usually use for RC plane stuff to the top of my helmet, here's a sample. Looks pretty decent for <$90, but need to get some foam over the mic or something; the wind noise is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDGLkAPPTbE

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
For the lack of mounting space for helmets this stuff looks useful; Mouldable rubber adhesive to stick poo poo together https://sugru.com/

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
If you use wifi on your GoPro, you should probably change your password:

http://www.securityweek.com/gopro-users%E2%80%99-wi-fi-passwords-were-available-online-researcher

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I think I've asked this before but can anyone recommend a good free video editing programme? I captured the most awesome thing I have ever seen last night but I want to edit out the number plate of the guy involved to protect the innocent guilty mind-blowingly cool

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think I've asked this before but can anyone recommend a good free video editing programme? I captured the most awesome thing I have ever seen last night but I want to edit out the number plate of the guy involved to protect the innocent guilty mind-blowingly cool

Lightworks, but the free version only allows 720p h264 output (aimed at Youtube)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heners_UK posted:

Lightworks, but the free version only allows 720p h264 output (aimed at Youtube)

This looks perfect, thanks very much.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I threw some mics onto my gopro and both of them seem to have issues with the audio clipping/crackling from loud sounds (mostly the bike). The internal mics on the gopro don't have this issue. How can I fix this?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is upgrading from a Hero 2 to a 3 Black worth it for ~$230 if all I use it for is riding and sharing my videos with a few friends?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M42 posted:

I threw some mics onto my gopro and both of them seem to have issues with the audio clipping/crackling from loud sounds (mostly the bike). The internal mics on the gopro don't have this issue. How can I fix this?
Try positioning it so it's behind stuff, like the gopro itself or your helmet or anything, can also try various windscreens.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This is with a dead cat and additional audio foam inside the helmet liner.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M42 posted:

This is with a dead cat and additional audio foam inside the helmet liner.
My only other thought would be to try to find an inline volume adjuster, not one of the button ones they sell for phones but something that has a dial for microphone volume. I know they make them for XLR setups, no idea about miniPhono. It may just be your microphone is too sensitive. GoPro has a voltage/resistance spec for mics on their site, https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-external-microphone-information

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Gopro hero2's cheap on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-HD-HERO2-Camcorder-Manufacturer-Refurbished-/121592267412

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gillingham posted:

My only other thought would be to try to find an inline volume adjuster, not one of the button ones they sell for phones but something that has a dial for microphone volume. I know they make them for XLR setups, no idea about miniPhono. It may just be your microphone is too sensitive. GoPro has a voltage/resistance spec for mics on their site, https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-external-microphone-information

Yeah, too sensitive was my first thought, they're cheap poo poo mics without any of that info on the amazon page. I'll check out something with those stats. Meanwhile here is what the problem (AND MY SICKKKKK NEW BIKE) sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNFgHaU-v0

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The Drift HD mic seems a pretty popular choice with vloggers, from memory.

Do you happen to have in your possession an Xbox 360 wired headset?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wow, that's a great deal. I use a Hero2 to shoot every ride I take - the only downside is the short battery life (just under 2hrs for me @ 720p 30fps) but since it's got an integrated charger, you can just connect it to a USB battery pack and plug it in while you're taking a break.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
yeah I bought it to be a glorified "dash" cam. Going to see if I can wire it up semi-permanently to my bike, or just get some extra batteries and swap them as needed.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The Drift HD mic seems a pretty popular choice with vloggers, from memory.

Do you happen to have in your possession an Xbox 360 wired headset?

The former was one of the first things I thought to buy, but drift mics aren't compatible with gopro pin size - not a big deal, but that means it probably doesn't have the other gopro recommended stuff. No to the latter. I think I will try out a mic that costs more than like $6 and see what happens.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

M42 posted:

The former was one of the first things I thought to buy, but drift mics aren't compatible with gopro pin size - not a big deal, but that means it probably doesn't have the other gopro recommended stuff. No to the latter. I think I will try out a mic that costs more than like $6 and see what happens.

Well, if you can be bothered to mess around with adapters, as far as I know the Drift is a known good option, try searching Youtube for evidence. In my research the popular choices with vloggers was either that or a more expensive and active lavalier mic which requires a battery and has like 5 feet of cable attached to it. Can't remember the brand though.

The X360 wired headset was the last thing I tried hacking from my pile of disused headsets. It has a passive noise-canceling mic (hole in both sides of the mic housing so that stray sound is cancelled out) which it occurred to me could be handy for helmet use. I just cut off the volume/mute switch stuff, soldered some cable and a jack on the end and it works really well. This also means you can put only as much cable on it as you actually need.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M42 posted:

Is there a reason you want an external mic?
Here's a short clip of a tesla being dumb with the built-in on the new cheap gopro. https://streamable.com/nghe I mean I guess there is a lot of wind there but you can still here the ambient with no extra doohickeys. I wonder if there's some easy post-processing that removes wind noise.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Gillingham posted:

Is there a reason you want an external mic?

She mentioned having the mic inside the helmet, so I'm guessing to record voice?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've heard of some people encasing an external mic and putting it in the nose of the bike... how are they doing this? (what kind of foam?)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I've heard of some people encasing an external mic and putting it in the nose of the bike... how are they doing this? (what kind of foam?)

Probably a good chunk of soft-ish stuff? You might have to experiment a bit. Whatever they do in MotoGP works well, those bikes are loud as gently caress yet you get pretty clear engine sounds and no distortion.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My mics did turn out to be too sensitive. Tried it with a friend's that had a 65db sensitivity (as opposed to 30-20 on my lovely ones), no issues. Got one coming in the mail tomorrow, hopefully that'll be the end of that!

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
This is entirely unrelated to motorcycles but... http://www.clickhole.com/video/we-put-gopro-sparrow-2248

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Some big eBay seller is clearing out refurbed Hero 2s for $79 - no mounts but definitely a better camera than some of the jerry-rigged cameras I've seen around. If anyone is interested I can post a link.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Radbot posted:

Some big eBay seller is clearing out refurbed Hero 2s for $79 - no mounts but definitely a better camera than some of the jerry-rigged cameras I've seen around. If anyone is interested I can post a link.

Please.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

poo poo, the price went back to $105 - I'll post again when I see it go down.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Contour Roam 2 is now $99 RRP - even with the problems I pointed out with it earlier that's a loving amazing deal.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
GoPro Hero is only $129 and occasionally goes in sale for ~$99

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Just a heads up to those with an REI near them: They just put their Sony Action Cam AS30V models on clearance for $60. I just picked one up and will be testing it out this weekend! The nice thing about REI is that if I end up not liking it, they do no-questions-asked returns for up to a full year after you buy it.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

I've personally found that sticking a rotatable-sensor camera (Drift Ghost etc) on the lower side of my helmet works pretty well. The view might be blocked a bit by the helmet on one side, but it's very easy to position them for a good FOV over both the dash and the road. I also feel a bit safer having the cam there instead of on the chin or chest.

This won't really work with a GoPro form factor, as they stick out far more than a Drift's ~1.5" especially if you want a straight horizon.

Also you look slightly less ridiculous.

Down with the GoPro tyranny!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I got a Replay XD 1080 Mini camera today and gave it a shot. After my GoPro died (for no reason) I've been wanting a new camera and this was posted in the IRC and I liked it.

It has a pretty small form factor. I don't feel it on the helmet at all. I put it a tad too far forward though and see the tip of it in the corner of my eye, which is kinda annoying but my fault.

It records in 1080x30fps and 720x60fps. There's only 2 buttons on the outside and they vibrate when they activate, like turn on/off and start/stop recording. It vibrates rather hard, you'll feel it. There's 2 more buttons inside the back case, to change between 1080 and 720, and internal or external mic. There's a photo mode that can be turned on by editing the txt file.

Here's a video test with no audio. I went out while the sun was out, then after it had just went down and rode around until dark. The video isn't very interesting unless you wanna see a bit of Tempe, AZ. At 5:55 a girl almost gets ran over though.

https://youtu.be/XjKUIZUm3cg

I like it, but it feels zoomed it. I'm guessing this is because the FOV is 120. I would like to see my bike but in the current position, unless I aim it down quite a bit, I'm not going to. Once it gets darker lights start streaking? I don't know the word for it. I'm not sure if a setting will fix this or not. The MicroSD card has a txt file with various attributes you can change.

There's no audio in the video (obviously) because it was windy and I don't have any music files to overlay on it. The camera came with a small page of 38 stickers to put over the mic hole. It cuts it back a bit, and can be edited in the txt file to be even more (or less) sensitive. At default, wind wasn't HORRIBLE, but it was there and a bit loud. The mic with the sticker is able to pick up the audio from my Sena surprisingly. I didn't expect it to be able to grab that, especially with the wind. No wind noise the mic sounds decent, didn't really test it much.

That said, I like it. It's lightweight and small and will fit in my pocket easily. The picture quality is good, but I don't like the FOV and the zoomed in feel of it. I really like that it vibrates, so I know it's on and recording. The camera is currently $115 on Amazon, and I grabbed a 32GB Samsung EVO microSD for $12.99 from Best Buy. The camera comes with a decent carrying bag for everything, a baggy for the camera, 3 or 4 mounts, 4gb microsd card, and usb cable.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there anything I should be considering when thinking about mounting my camera to my bike, not to my body? Is there a downside to this, besides the camera not tracking where I'm looking/pointing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Is there anything I should be considering when thinking about mounting my camera to my bike, not to my body? Is there a downside to this, besides the camera not tracking where I'm looking/pointing?

Depending on the bike, camera, and mounting method vibes may be a big problem for either video or sound (or both of course).

Also the considerably higher chance that you'll forget and walk away leaving a couple hundred bucks worth of easily-fenceable electronics on your bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also depends on what you're doing. For sight-seeing footage helmet mount's probably better. If you're on the track and the org allows for it, chin mount is great for reviewing your lines and where your head was pointing towards.

Full tuck sucks pretty hard if you're using a chin mount though:

• Locked thread