Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

That's part of the reason I'm a bit put off of playing again. It feels like the entire battle phase is a waste of time, because the opponent probably has some way of stopping you every single time. I prefer instant win stuff anyway, though I have no idea how viable that even is these days (probably not at all).

I can't even remember which ban list hasn't had a tier 1 OTK deck anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I meant stuff like Destiny Board and Final Countdown really, stuff that doesn't really care at all about life points. I used the former as a kid, but with everything the way it is, filling your entire spell/trap zone with that is probably asking for trouble.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's been a couple of XYZ and effect monsters with instant win conditions released in the last year but most of them are brutally difficult to utilise. As for Final Countdown... :negative:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Off the top of my head: I think it was gimmick puppet leo, its rank-up C equivalent and one of the ghostricks.

The former needed three level 8s to summon and each turn you had to use an overlay to get a counter, this also skipped your battle phase. Three counters meant tou win the game. But you only ise the effrct when you have no spells or traps

The Ghostrick thingy automatically won the game when it had 10 xyz materials.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Ghostrick thingy automatically won the game when it had 10 xyz materials.

Japan only! Which is a shame because it gave Ghostricks something to do that wasn't the utterly boring "face-down banish mill"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Senerio posted:

Japan only! Which is a shame because it gave Ghostricks something to do that wasn't the utterly boring "face-down banish mill"

I've never actually seen it pulled off by an actual ghostricks deck. This is the only way I've ever seen it done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wSIrcX30o (see after the 8:00 mark)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Senerio posted:

It's (most likely) coming to the TCG in the World Superstars set!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry but this is one of the greatest songs ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFh4lm8UanI

As fabulous as Pegasus J. Crawford is, his song doesn't compare to Team Rocket's.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Xoidanor posted:

I've never actually seen it pulled off by an actual ghostricks deck. This is the only way I've ever seen it done:

I looked through this guy's videos; one of them displays him winning with only 13 life points left. Pretty intense.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Slur posted:

I looked through this guy's videos; one of them displays him winning with only 13 life points left. Pretty intense.

It's sad that he stopped updating, it was a great channel. Maybe he'll come back some day... :pray:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slur posted:

How do you end up with 13 LP? Everything in this game goes in 50s, sans old bad cards.

Also that Xyz Change video was insane. I don't understand much about current YGO but that was still amazing. If we had gotten something like that in Zexal it'd be far easier to defend it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

This guy has some crazy mokey mokey strats. He is rad as hell

But he is also making me want to play this dumb card game again. :(

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

How do you end up with 13 LP? Everything in this game goes in 50s, sans old bad cards.

Also that Xyz Change video was insane. I don't understand much about current YGO but that was still amazing. If we had gotten something like that in Zexal it'd be far easier to defend it.

Divide by 2 again and again. Check out his HEROs video, where he Super Polys his opponents 2 Quasars!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I have to wonder: Would it be possible to make a deck focused around inflicting an OTK on yourself?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

I have to wonder: Would it be possible to make a deck focused around inflicting an OTK on yourself?

Yugioh matches in tournaments are best 2-out-3, so the gimmick was you'd win the first match, sidedeck in this bad boy, and then just make every match afterwards a tie until you hit whatever time limit the tournament had. Since you're 1-0 at the end of the time limit, you win.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thought a tie counted as half a win for both sides?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

OH IS THERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx0dljYeZhc

(This is the only acceptable way to play an Exodia deck, just for the record.)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

So I've watched the first 4 episodes of ZEXAL, and the tomato and dog episodes. I've concluded the following:
- The dub theme song is impressively worse than the 5D's theme song due solely to the singing.
- Total number of times I audibly mumbled "what in the gently caress..." or equivalent: 31.
- It really is difficult to describe how and why this show is bad, it just is. All hyperbole for this series is well deserved.
- The hero of this show are the automated cleaning robots that threw Yuma's cards then Yuma himself in the trash and make snide comments at him.

Nuff of that. Onwards to Arc-V!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Cards which constantly cut your life point damage in half. You round up, and it'll inevitably be 13. It's strange.

Also, if you want a full explanation of the Xyz Change deck and how it works, send me a PM and I'll be glad to explain it to you.

Silento posted:

Divide by 2 again and again. Check out his HEROs video, where he Super Polys his opponents 2 Quasars!

Dude lives up to his name of being "manly".

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Zexal good to watch ironically with a buddy while getting stoned?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Red Suit posted:

Is Zexal good to watch ironically with a buddy while getting stoned?

tomato episode (30) is for sure

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

So I've watched the first 4 episodes of ZEXAL, and the tomato and dog episodes. I've concluded the following:
- The dub theme song is impressively worse than the 5D's theme song due solely to the singing.
- Total number of times I audibly mumbled "what in the gently caress..." or equivalent: 31.
- It really is difficult to describe how and why this show is bad, it just is. All hyperbole for this series is well deserved.
- The hero of this show are the automated cleaning robots that threw Yuma's cards then Yuma himself in the trash and make snide comments at him.

Nuff of that. Onwards to Arc-V!

Eh, if you've got time to spare, I'd say give the first few episodes of Zexal II (think it starts at 74) a shot. That's when it actually gets a plot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's plenty of Plot in Zexal I. In fact, you wouldn't understand a goddam thing if you went straight to ZEXAL II. The gently caress is a Barian?

Yeah, ZEXAL II is better so far but ZEXAL I had its moments and it certainly did an adequate job laying the foundation for what happens in II.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I loved ZeXal but I find it hard to recommend, you essentially gotta go through 40 mandatory and bad-to-mediocre episodes before stuff starts going up in quality and the build up begins to pay off. If you can stomach a 150-episode anime that's mediocre during its first third then hell yeah watch ZeXal, but normal human beings shouldn't really bother that much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sounds like One Piece. (I only really got into it when Chopper showed up and that was well into the anime)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Holy poo poo I have just found out about the new Frightfurs and Fluffals. They are just as good as I was hoping they would be, which is to say pretty good but not meta-busting good.

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-fluffal-vs-raidraptor-video-info/

oh and there are also the xyz bird jerk monsters i guess

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 28, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

While they will still shrivel without option to most tier 1 decks you can bust out some crazy combo plays with the new support. Personally, Fusion Conscription being viable as a cost for Frightfur Factory is my favourite new combo because of how blatantly un-intended it is. I just wish they had a high-attack generic beater or something with a flip-effect so that they could actually climb over effect-immune high-attack monsters.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

paradoxGentleman posted:

oh and there are also the xyz bird jerk monsters i guess

There is a YuGiOh tournament before every Friday Night Magic as my LGS and sometimes I talk with the YGO kids around where the game is right now. Someone told me last night that Raid Raptors are apparently really loving good in the current meta. (Don't know how correct that is.) And it is funny to watch them get confused when I refer to archetypes by their Japanese name because I only know them from Arc-V. (For the records, "Death's-Toy" is far superior to "Fright Fur" but "PeformaPal" gets slightly higher marks than "EnterMate" - which sounds like a loving food supplement.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlternateNu posted:

There is a YuGiOh tournament before every Friday Night Magic as my LGS and sometimes I talk with the YGO kids around where the game is right now. Someone told me last night that Raid Raptors are apparently really loving good in the current meta. (Don't know how correct that is.) And it is funny to watch them get confused when I refer to archetypes by their Japanese name because I only know them from Arc-V. (For the records, "Death's-Toy" is far superior to "Fright Fur" but "PeformaPal" gets slightly higher marks than "EnterMate" - which sounds like a loving food supplement.)

I did get a distinctly blackwing feeling from the fuckers.
And with all that rank-up rushing that they can do I think they'd be super annoying to beat. They're pretty much anti-pendulum though. Especially if the pendulum player Xyzs afterwards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The heat death of the universe will occur before a RUM-deck is allowed to become meta.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Raidraptors are solid, but they're definitely not a tier 1 deck. The current meta shits all over them.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

The heat death of the universe will occur before a RUM-deck is allowed to become meta.

Two years ago, when I was playing online, I created a competitive Heraldic deck revolving around ranking up 18 to C69. It won me more duels than I lost against meta decks.

I await my heat-death.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slur posted:

Two years ago, when I was playing online, I created a competitive Heraldic deck revolving around ranking up 18 to C69. It won me more duels than I lost against meta decks.

I await my heat-death.

WCS or nothing fool :getout:

Seriously though, I too await my heat-death. I had some fair success with Astral Force Burning Abyss (pleiades is as broken as ever) this spring so it isn't impossible. The RUM part of raptors is fine for now but it's still way to gimmicky to be competitive. It just feels so disappointing however, RUM was the coolest thing to come out of Zexal and yet its primary legacy will forever be rank-4 spam.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

WCS or nothing fool :getout:

Seriously though, I too await my heat-death. I had some fair success with Astral Force Burning Abyss (pleiades is as broken as ever) this spring so it isn't impossible. The RUM part of raptors is fine for now but it's still way to gimmicky to be competitive. It just feels so disappointing however, RUM was the coolest thing to come out of Zexal and yet its primary legacy will forever be rank-4 spam.

Sylvans also get quite a boost from The Seventh One. It's just that their extra deck doesn't need two wasted slots on Neo Tachyon or Dark Knight.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Seventh One is also loving hilarious in Fluffals for those who haven't tried it yet. :getin:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Seventh One is also loving hilarious in Fluffals for those who haven't tried it yet. :getin:

I need to download Ygopro again and test this out now, if for nothing but the irony.

Slur fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 28, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just saw this thread and felt like saying that I still have fond memories of the Pegasus duel in the original series. Looking back on it, I still really like the concept of it - lots of shows essentially make their main villains into cheating motherfuckers (see Aizen "Everything you've ever done has been a lie and you've actually all been giving me a blowjob this whole time :smug:" Sosuke), and the Pegasus duel actually embraced that in an interesting way that added a whole lot of tension to the thing. Even as a kid, I never really stayed with the show after that, felt like they never really came close to that sequence.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like the art has been getting a lot better since ARC-V started, I mean just look at this hosed up poo poo.

That should have been what happened when Sora played the card complete with reaction photos from kids in the crowd. :unsmigghh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Duelist Kingdom was a wild time where knowledge of card game didn't do poo poo.
It ran on it's own rules and it was glorious.
Later duels stuck to the card game rules, then loosened up for Orichalchos which made the duels unpredictable again.

As much as I love the series it wouldn't exist if it didn't sell the card game.

[e]^^:
The art has been all kinds of amazing since the first Duel Terminal series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have Yosen cards now that I got for like 25 bucks and it feels really good to just poo poo all over everything with Daibak, every turn.