Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaaaaand just like that Molson loses. 5-3 with an empty netter. I want two low blocker shots back. Ah well. A rival goalie lost, and Bradf0rd got a win, so lose-win-win night.

EDIT: 5-2, right.
VVVVVVVVVV

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Dang, does that video highlight the extreme differences in styles of play between myself and Bootcha. Did you have a bruise on your chest after my team hit you there repeatedly? :v:

Bootcha posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand just like that Molson loses. 5-3 with an empty netter. I want two low blocker shots back. Ah well. A rival goalie lost, and Bradf0rd got a win, so lose-win-win night.
I see a 5-2 loss with an empty netter at the end for Molson. :confused: My team won thanks to an awesome goaltending clinic I put on with 10 SOG. :woop: (or an excellent team effort that blocked a lot of shots and prevented our opponents from cycling and zero breakaways were allowed).
Round 2 of this week's Bootcha vs Bradf0rd battle is tonight with both of us subbing for teams.

Aniki posted:

I went to open hockey this afternoon and I did a bit better than I did on Friday. I feel like I'm starting to get more confident, my timing got better as the session wore on, and I'm getting a little more comfortable butterflying against live shots. I'm still not where I want to be yet, but it was encouraging to see some signs of progress. I also made a nice glove save through traffic and a couple of athletic saves, though I'm still staying on my feet too much, I'm vulnerable against backdoor passes, and I feel like my body is not square to the puck, so those are issues that I need to address.

I do have a goalie lesson scheduled for Wednesday morning before work, so I'll focus on those and some other issues that I've noticed and hopefully that will help me get back on track. I'm also hoping to get on the ice on Friday, but I'm not sure if I'll do open hockey or go to a skills session instead. I'm leaning slightly towards open hockey, since I think that playing against faster players is good for me right now, but it just depends if I can get off of work early enough to get there.

Edit: I should dig out my GoPro and get some footage again. It will be ugly right now, but it would still help me figure out how out of position I am on some plays.
Glad to see you're getting back out on the ice. That GoPro footage is always a bit disconcerting to watch, but (at least for me) it seems to help on that positioning and such. Do you feel like you're getting back into shape physically?

BulimicGoat posted:

The ToeHooks I bought ended up coming early and I had a chance to install them before my game tonight. I've never played with any type of toe ties, so I can't judge it as an alternative. My pads weren't over rotating and snapped back into place after a butterfly- plus I didn't have to worry about tying laces up beforehand. Overall, I'd recommend them
I was a big fan of FlexToe until I got the Ritual G2s with the new strapping system. I never used any sort of toe ties before I moved to FlexToe so I can't compare but they worked well for me. Seems ToeHooks are essentially the same idea.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

Glad to see you're getting back out on the ice. That GoPro footage is always a bit disconcerting to watch, but (at least for me) it seems to help on that positioning and such. Do you feel like you're getting back into shape physically?

It is good to be back. I agree that filming yourself helps a lot with positioning and I think I'm almost ready to start doing that again, though I want to skate a few more times and feel like I'm over the mental barriers before I start watching myself. It's weird, because the physical transition of getting back on the ice has been pretty easy. I kept active while I was out and I feel stronger than before and my stamina has improved from interval training and some medication changes. However, I still have some lingering fear and confidence issues, which is normal after coming back from an injury and right now I feel a little bit better every time I get out on the ice. It would be nice to have a dramatic change, but I just need to go through the process and accept the incremental changes for now. The biggest physical issues that I have right now is that my body still feels stiff on the ice, so I need to do more work on stretching and I have some breathing issues at one of the rinks for the first 5 minutes or so that I'm out on the ice and I think it has to do with going from heated locker rooms to a cold playing surface. They also don't have electric Zamboni's which may contribute to the issue as well. I already made medication changes, so I need to try getting dressed earlier and giving myself more time to attenuate to the cold environment before being active.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Dang, does that video highlight the extreme differences in styles of play between myself and Bootcha. Did you have a bruise on your chest after my team hit you there repeatedly? :v:
Round 2 of this week's Bootcha vs Bradf0rd battle is tonight with both of us subbing for teams.

I think I made a few saves at the other end where they weren't shooting at my chest, but you'll have to upload your GoPro to see that.

The things that really stand out to me:
-How much goddamned more flexible you are than me. My right leg is the worst at flaring out when making a kick save.
-You actually control your butterfly lateral slides. I tend to just slide and stop from friction.
-When I do those lateral slides when the puck's behind the net, my pad is deep in the net up to my knee, instead of locking it at the pad's foot bend.
-I am exceedingly lazy at recovery and flop'n'crawl like a 50's era goalie when I'm out of position. I don't think I've ever seen you flop at all, your composure control is enviable.
-Most of your saves are made deeper in the crease. I tend to rely on pure angles and have to stand higher on the crease line to protect holes. This also opens up my short side, as well as making me more susceptible to being sped around.
-Stop knocking my goddamned net off and skating away like it's my problem. And tell your 83 guy he needs to control his goddamned stick.

Also told Tom I'm a cheap bribe. A 12 pack of High Life should help a Dynasty win.

EDIT: Of further note, I'm gonna get my helmet painted. There's a place down in Kyle that can definitely do it, but I'm still looking around for starving artists in actual Austin proper.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 17, 2015

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Consolation playoff game to end the last of the season tonight- Should be interesting since it's outdoor and its looking to snow in a little bit...

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Round 2 goes to Bootcha, 3-2, who had a team that got away with murder on the penalties.

Funny story though...

I play on the mixed league team with most of the guys Bradf0rd subbed for. When the team I subbed for asked me to sub, I emailed the Bradf0rd's team to ask if they had ask me first to sub (because their goalie was injured and out for the whole season). They said they had Bradf0rd lined up under the impression I was subbing for my team. I say okay. And Bradf0rd's team says okay and if I wouldn't mind letting in a few for a 12 pack of my favorite. I respond with "I'm a cheap bribe, a 12 of High Life". I get to the game tonight, I see no High Life in my locker room, so of course that means the deal's off. After the game, when all my sub team's departed, I start drinking with Bradf0rd's team, and we're joking discussing the mechanics of how you properly bribe a buddy goalie to help the other team win. We narrowed it down to a few basics:

1 - "Bribe Beer" must be delivered before the game.
2 - Bribe-ee must arrive an hour before the game to receive bribe.
3 - Bribe-er cannot wait until after the game to deliver bribe.
4 - Any Bribe-appropriated actions must take place during regulation
5 - Goals called off count towards Bribe agreement.
6 - Injury inflicted by either party upon either party constitutes a breach in Gentlemen's Bribe Agreement and nullifies Bribe
7 - This conversation did not exist

On one hand, I won a playoff game. On the other, guess who has beer duty next mixed league game...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My goalie lesson this morning went well. We spent a lot of time working on small movements to get me into the proper position to make saves. The big thing that we focused on was doing half-pivots before I slid or T-pushed to a spot, that way I can maintain visual attachment with the puck and make sure that I am sliding to the right spot based on the placement of the shooter. We also worked on varying my slide speed and having me slow down a little bit, so that I hit the right spot and stay square, rather than having me slide too far or twist towards the end and lose my angle. We worked a lot on how to play passes near the net, since I've struggled with those recently. I started out working on going from a standing position, and then half pivoting, and sliding to hit certain spots and then we worked a little bit on doing the same thing from a reverse VH. We finished off working on me challenging shots from different angles and depth. The big thing is he wants me to hold my ground at the top of the crease and then half-pivot and slide or T-push to follow the shooter or the pass if necessary. It was a little slower paced than my previous lesson, but I think it was really helpful to slow things down and work on getting to the right spot, square, on time, and with proper post integration for the depth of the shot.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Try this one weird trick for better goaltending

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

If only the article actually went into any depth as to what it actually is they're talking about :(

Like even the guy's website (https://www.orsports.com) website doesn't give you any information.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 19, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zip! posted:

If only the article actually went into any depth as to what it actually is they're talking about :(

I'm sure that Stephen fellow would love to give you details for the low low price of all your money.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Zip! posted:

Like even the guy's website (https://www.orsports.com) website doesn't give you any information.

I think he may be talking about tracking down, which is demonstrated in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdmMKbN0b1Y

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey so I've totally been MIA from the scene, and now that I have job where I can make it rain I'm looking to maybe get back into it with some new gear.

I've been thinking about what direction I'd like to go and I'm thinking I'd like to return to a Vaughn Velo style pad rather than the Reeboks I've got now. I can finally afford to get gear that is above Sr. level so I'm wondering what the "Pro" level Velo pad is these days.

Alternately, I'm thinking about getting the Velo-style set from Don Simmons. I know it's a knockoff joint, but I've heard that the quality is good and the price is definitely right for a pad and glove set.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I present beerLeagueDefense.jpg. The yellow team has the puck at the time:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Martytoof posted:

I've been thinking about what direction I'd like to go and I'm thinking I'd like to return to a Vaughn Velo style pad rather than the Reeboks I've got now. I can finally afford to get gear that is above Sr. level so I'm wondering what the "Pro" level Velo pad is these days.

Alternately, I'm thinking about getting the Velo-style set from Don Simmons. I know it's a knockoff joint, but I've heard that the quality is good and the price is definitely right for a pad and glove set.

The newest Velo pads are the V6 with 3 different pro level pads with slightly different characteristics depending on what you want.

The V6 2000 pad is the closest to the traditional Velocity pad you may know. Velo pads have gotten progressively stiffer over the various iterations, the V6 2000 pad now has a carbon fibre recoil plate above the knee to make the thigh rise of the pad a bit stiffer and hold its shape more so you don't get the pad shrinkage you used to over time.

The V6 2200 pad is an evolution towards a more Reebok style pad but keeping the soft Vaughn characteristics and flexibility. The pads are entirely flat faced, the carbon fibre plate runs the length of the pad giving it an overall stiffer feel compared to the 2000.

The V6 2300 which was released recently appears to be a bit of a hybrid between the 2, with flat faced knee rolls and a split recoil plate above and below the knee adding stiffness but still allowing softness.

As for Simmons, the Ultra Lite range is their Velocity clone line. I used a second hand set of their UL5 pads (V3 clone) when I came back for a good 6 months and was really happy with the quality and protection offered by the pads. Simmons are definitely a good option to explore, however they will obviously lack the new features or their implementation won't be as good as the original.

Other things for you to consider - the CCM eFlex line (Eflex 2 dropping in April-May) are a softened up version of the Reebok pads you are currently in. They have done a lot of work to soften up the boot break and add internal breaks around the knee to make it a more hybrid feeling pad. Another option is the new Brians Gnetik 2 pad which is the lightest pad on the market these days, they've just released their new "hyper flex" pad softness that is supposed to make the pad butter soft in terms of flex although it is still sheet foam construction so will never be as truly soft as a Vaughn pad which still uses shredded foam.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Hey so I've totally been MIA from the scene, and now that I have job where I can make it rain I'm looking to maybe get back into it with some new gear.

Nice to have you back in the fold. I'm not too familiar with the current Vaughn offering, but Zip!'s overview was great. Are there any shops near you that you can demo pads from?

ManicJason posted:

I present beerLeagueDefense.jpg. The yellow team has the puck at the time:

That's remarkable. Both D are on the blocker side, one forward is hovering over the circle on the blocker side, and both forwards and the center are hovering by the blue line for a breakout that will never come. Really all you can do in that situation is cover the puck or kick out a big rebound and hope one that one of your teammates somehow gets it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Bradf0rd and I played against each other Sunday at mixed league, and we both brought our GoPros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhxQ5gs5-U
I'm pretty sure the video starts with Bootcha warming up and Bradf0rd starting the game, so I'm going to use those names. If I'm wrong reverse them.

Bootcha, it really jumped out at me in the warm up that you're not watching the puck into your glove. That could just be because it was rapid fire warm up, but that smells like a bad habit. I saw the same thing at 13:15, 17:17, and 19:50 during the game where you coughed up what should have been snares. Lots of those off-the-glove-and-wide warm up shots were because you weren't looking it in. I've started doing a silly look-the-imaginary-puck-into-both-gloves routine just before I hit the ice that's helped me a lot. I was giving up stupid amounts of blocker side goals this season before I started doing that.

Bradf0rd, you do an awesome job using your stick to direct those low shots and keep centering passes away. Hell, you even did it out of the air once.

Whoever's GoPro was on for most of the game: You can turn off that blinking red light in the options.

I finally had my first decent game in months. I'm not exaggerating, because my team kept telling guys at the bar after the game, "Have you met our goalie? He's finally back!" My only goal against was a horrible miscommunication, awkward play of the puck by me, and then a loss of angle as I retreated to the net. I've decided that games like that are Jason Shutouts: No goals against other than horrible misplays by the goalie.

I've started using the medium angle option on the GoPro instead of the wide that I used to use. I think it looks a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyXMZ1iYoaY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Amazing. Best writeup I could have hoped for. Thanks :)

Aniki posted:

Nice to have you back in the fold. I'm not too familiar with the current Vaughn offering, but Zip!'s overview was great. Are there any shops near you that you can demo pads from?

Oh absolutely. I'm going to hit up Duke's source for sports here in Toronto. That's where I bought my 6k Reeboks and I'm plenty happy with the service. Just wanted to get an overall feel for the Vaughn line before going to try them on :)

It's literally been like 2 years since I played so I'm trying to figure out if my ATK is still the same or how that even translates to a Vaughn pad now. Going to let them size me up at Duke's though.

Thanks guys!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManicJason posted:

Bootcha, it really jumped out at me in the warm up that you're not watching the puck into your glove. That could just be because it was rapid fire warm up, but that smells like a bad habit. I saw the same thing at 13:15, 17:17, and 19:50 during the game where you coughed up what should have been snares. Lots of those off-the-glove-and-wide warm up shots were because you weren't looking it in. I've started doing a silly look-the-imaginary-puck-into-both-gloves routine just before I hit the ice that's helped me a lot. I was giving up stupid amounts of blocker side goals this season before I started doing that.

Yeah, it's a bad habit. Especially on my glove side. On my blocker I tend to watch what's in front of me more than the incoming puck because I like to angle it off to where a teammate can pick it up and make a play, since simply putting it in the corner usually means the other team picks it up.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Adventures in GoPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5UPcSP21g

I should start recording the first half of these games at my end, I made some fantastic saves. The second half was me pretty much worn down from the first, and you can see my playstyle degrade into flop city.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Bootcha posted:

Adventures in GoPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5UPcSP21g

I should start recording the first half of these games at my end, I made some fantastic saves. The second half was me pretty much worn down from the first, and you can see my playstyle degrade into flop city.

I enjoy the videos in spite of the self crits. I see stuff I can try to develop skills towards.

Thanks for all of you who post them

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Wooty posted:

I enjoy the videos in spite of the self crits. I see stuff I can try to develop skills towards.

Thanks for all of you who post them

Glad to hear! I'll be posting a few more soon, once I have a night off from work or hockey and can edit them.

Marty, you may also want to look into the latest Reactor line. I was starting to eye the Bauers after my Warrior order was getting super delayed. That being said, I do love my G2s and would recommend them to anyone looking for a stiff pad with an ability to kick rebounds way out and customizable out of the box.

Also, this happened:

But after moving up to the B1 division and winning a title and being named an all star (if that means anything), for Spring I have been relegated back to B2 and took Bootcha's spot on my old team.
Also, we're so classy we drink beer out of plastic cups and growlers.
Or we just happen to have a brewmaster on the team who brought us a vast assortment of beers on tap.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Again, congrats on the win Bradf0rd. You did the one thing I couldn't with Dean.

I'll be playing against Bradf0rd on yet another team, continuing my Craig Billington Goalie Journeyman career, this time on the mysterious team that can sometimes score when I'm in net but absolutely not when Bradf0rd is. It's made up of the guys you've seen on the recent rash of gopros at the Pond, and they seem competent and alcoholic enough to be fun to back up.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I tried out my gen 2 Passau knee pads for the first time on Tuesday night.

The good:

• Interior of the knee pad is soft, especially the wings that go along the MCL.
  • They add height to my butterfly, which I can certainly use.
  • For someone reason, the extra height seems to make it a little bit easier for me to push off on backside recoveries.
  • The knee pads are very well built and seem like they will offer very good protection, but I didn't take any shots off of them that I was aware of.

The bad:

• I ordered the small/medium knee pads and they were much bulkier than I anticipated. That's not entirely a bad thing, but it will take some getting used to.
  • I had to loosen the velcro straps on my knee locks and experimented with a couple different strapping options to accommodate the bigger knee pads. I tried both strapping the knee lock looser and then running the velcro strap down to the top of the calf guard and I'm not sure, which one I like better yet and I think that more experimentation is needed.
  • The knee pads have a lot of straps, so it will take me a while to figure out how to strap them properly.
  • Part of the knee pad got caught on my knee blocks and it drove the top piece of the knee pad, which contains a hard plastic plate, into my quads. I think that issue will go away after I figure out how to properly strap things, but that was uncomfortable.

I'll definitely need a few more sessions to adapt to the knee pads, I do like the extra height that they offer and they should offer great protection, but it will take me time to get used to them.

As for the skills session itself. I didn't feel like I played very well. I got spooked during some of the early drills and played poorly during my first shift during the scrimmage, but did rebound and play better during the 2nd shift, even though the side I was facing had an extremely good player that scored a couple goals on me, but honestly, I liked the challenge of facing him and I felt like it got me thinking about playing hockey and not about not getting injured. I'm still a work in progress, but I'm starting to get stretches where I play well, but not consistently yet, which is frustrating.

I also lost the goalie spot that I was supposed to have for this season. The guy who filled in for me this past season apparently played well and my now ex-teammates were being dicks about it and it turned into a stupid situation that wasn't worth salvaging. My recovery and where I'm at in that process had nothing to do with it.

I still have 3 and 1/2 weeks before the league is supposed to start and while I have a good chance of being picked up by another team, I'm not sure what I want to do now. I may take the season off and may just play open hockey, private games, and eventually do some subbing after I get my game and confidence back. I might look into playing at Oceanside, since I like that league better and I get along with people on a couple teams over there or I may still play up here, but only if it's a situation that I'm comfortable with. I'm leaning towards just giving myself more time to get my game and confidence back on track, since that has been a slower process than I had anticipated.

Edit: It looks like the leagues at Oceanside start in 7 weeks, which is probably a better timeline for me to get back on track.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 26, 2015

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
How many straps do those things have?
Good luck getting picked up by another team. Always sucks to think you have a team then, tada!

Wooooo, more GoPro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6XCFJVah0

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Well, we won the consolation championship- best of the worst! I ended up playing really aggressive and decent, even had a nice windmill.

My proudest moment, with 30 seconds left in the 2nd period, is when I had a 2 on 0 coming across the center line. I started yelling "3! 2! 1!" and the skater ended up taking a last minute shot across the blue line instead of skating it in. I was able to freeze and stall just long enough to end the period.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

How many straps do those things have?
Good luck getting picked up by another team. Always sucks to think you have a team then, tada!

Wooooo, more GoPro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6XCFJVah0

4-straps. Two over the quad, which is a bit weird, one behind the knee, and one along the top of the calf. It's sort of funny that my knee pads have more straps than my leg pads. I should be able to get out on the ice on Friday and test them out for a second time. I also ordered some of their leg pad wax, which is supposed to reduce friction on slides, especially when ice conditions get bad, so I'm curious to see how that works.

Yeah, it's annoying, because I put a lot of work into setting things up, so that I could return when I got healthy and I got a sense a couple months ago that something stupid was going to happen and sure enough it did. In a way, I'm glad that the situation is over with, so I can at least move on and find a better situation for myself. For now, I am going to focus on getting my game back on track and see what opportunities are out there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

I could tell that you were seeing the puck well and had good focus. You play on a weird sized rink, it looks slightly longer than a 3-on-3 rink and maybe almost the size of an inline rink. The hard thing about a smaller surface like that, it requires you to stay focused the whole time, which can be draining. You did give up some goals in the 2nd part of the video, but it seemed like you were being screened a lot and got caught sleeping a bit on the long range goal. Overall, it looks like you played well and move well.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to open hockey yesterday and tried to go in with the attitude that I'm there to have fun and not fixate on trying to not get hurt and it seemed to help. I still didn't play great, but I felt more confident, started butterflying more, and had some stretches where I played alright. I also tried focusing on head trajectory (e.g. moving my head and not my eyes) and while I didn't do it consistently, I found that I was making more glove saves than usual and I even managed to windmill the Finnish guy, which was a good confidence booster.

The Passau knee pads felt better the second time around. I did have to skate off briefly to adjust the straps, but I think I'm close to figuring out how I want to have them strapped. The sliding wax did seem to help. I had a few times where I slid faster and further than normal and it seemed like it was easier to get a slide started. I couldn't really utilize it to my advantage much, but that's more because I'm having trouble working the partial turn, then slide into my game, so I'm still throwing my body in the general direction of the play and losing track of the puck, so I'll try to work on that the next time I'm out on the ice.

Edit: I need to find my GoPro, so I can get some footage soon.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 28, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I remembered to film both ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSiHwuYGc-A

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bootcha posted:

Hey, I remembered to film both ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSiHwuYGc-A

You make a lot of pad stack saves. which is unusual. It is a good move to have in your arsenal as a desperation save, but it puts you in a difficult position to recover and play the rebound. You also tend to keep your legs tucked in on butterflies and near the post. There was a goal that you let in around 13:50, where you slide to the post to follow a wraparound, but you tuck in your trailing and get stuck in awkward position that you couldn't recover from. If you had slid to the post and gone into a VH, then you would have been in a much better position, to slide across the crease and have a good chance of stopping the rebound. Overall, you have nice athleticism and made some good plays, especially some sprawling saves, but I think you're making things a bit harder for yourself than they need to be.

I got invited to play with a private group that organizes a bunch of games per month and I was able to sign up for 3 or 4 games this month. It should be a good source of extra ice time. I also may have a chance to go back to my old team at Oceanside. No issues with the guys on that team, though my only concern is that they tend to only have 6 skaters more often than not, which is probably why there current goalie is likely leaving. I don't mind short benches from time to time, but dealing with that nearly every week would suck, since those games normally end up being hanging tight for 2 periods before we run out of gas and end up losing, though at least my stamina is better than it was back then.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I am either about to have an awesome week or about to die horribly and regret the decision forever. A bunch of Canadian teams are playing a tournament here in Las Vegas. I agreed to play goal for two or three teams in the three day tournament. My fitness is not exactly the best, so we'll see how it goes. I will also end the third straight day of tournament play with a playoff game in my beer league that night.

I'm picturing a goal bag full of 5 Hour Energy drinks and ibuprofen in my future. It may also be worth bringing the foam roller to the rink.

I can't complain about being able to take three days off work to play hockey. Hopefully I survive.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well last night I came dangerously close to pulling a Luongo.

Happened to have a couple Creme Brulee beers that were delicious, however they weren't great for my stomach.

Started the game with terrible stomach pains and terrible farts. Of course I didn't actually feel any of this until I had most of my pads on and I thought, maybe I'd be ok to play the game.

I had some terrible farts in the middle of the game but I felt ok and managed to get a shutout. Thought I was done with any issues until I got into the locker room and started to get my gear off and immediately realized I had to drop a massive deuce.

Managed to get everything off just in time.

So hooray for feeling like complete poo poo, not actually making GBS threads on the ice and still getting a shutout.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
While Bradf0rd's dealing with parasite problem, I'll see about uploading a few more vids in his absence.

I managed to cough up a shutout in the last minute, and lose the shootout. Well, to be a little fair I got a little lucky here and there, but we just could not clear the defensive zone for the life of us. Kept on passing it straight to them, off our guys and straight to them, out of the zone and straight to them, or just leaving the puck dribbling along the blue line and let them keep it in. The extra attacker came in and we just could not control the puck at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixeCLS7MpxY

Almost had it.

:smith:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I've really been working on tracking the puck with my head and it's paying off big time.

I'm having issues with stick tape, I re taped it during off-season but the heat apparently melted/evaporated the wax off it. I patched up the bits that tore and rewaxed it.

This is what happened.

The other one.

I'm using my stick a lot more for deflecting the puck, is it that? Or should I use a different tape?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

While Bradf0rd's dealing with parasite problem...
But it's such a cute parasite. :3:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Late night hockey update...

Sub Game 1: Playing for the old team (the one Bradf0rd's on but is dealing with the parasite currently). A 4-2 win, both goals are breakaways. Can't complain aside from my tendency to slide my right pad under my left in the half-assed two pad sack I do, which opens up a 5-hole spot they stuffed one in on. I forget who spotted that, but I'm trying to take that to heart.

Team Game 1: HOLY gently caress I GOT LIT UP. 6-0 loss to the old team. The advice I gave them about camping the slot and not the far post paid off I guess, because every goal was shot from the slot. Two of those I should have had, but then that's 4-0 and nothing I could have done would have helped. It was a drubbing, and well deserved because my D were quite literally passing it to the other guys in the slot, and giving them all day to line up and either skate around me or put it in far side.

Sub Game 2: Shootout win 2-3. Immediately after the blowout. Teammate deflects the puck past me trying to knock it down. Second goal goes off one of their screen men cutting across. I feel like "Goddamn, I can't catch a break tonight." Manage to stop a big breakaway, team ties it in the last minute. 2 good poke checks and a shot to the chest and I win. My luck had to change. Props to the old team that lit me up for sticking around and cheering/jeering me on.

I don't know what you're in for when you get back Bradf0rd, but it's not as bad as what I have right now.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Bootcha posted:

I don't know what you're in for when you get back Bradf0rd, but it's not as bad as what I have right now.

hah, I'm in the same boat. The two teams I'm on now are pretty terrible, but there's not much I can do this season. I feel like I stand on my head for my full time team every week, and we're like 3-6. A good night is only giving up 4 goals. They just don't play good d or know how to possess the puck. Its tough. And I get ot play my old team tonight in what I anticipate to be a blood bath.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

hah, I'm in the same boat. The two teams I'm on now are pretty terrible, but there's not much I can do this season. I feel like I stand on my head for my full time team every week, and we're like 3-6. A good night is only giving up 4 goals. They just don't play good d or know how to possess the puck. Its tough. And I get ot play my old team tonight in what I anticipate to be a blood bath.

While most of the time your situation is the one I fall in for this team, this is surprisingly the opposite situation as yours. Hell, my move up a division was assisted by my team finishing next-to-last while I posted top-3 goalie stats. This time it looks like my team is an offensive powerhouse (which is the complete opposite of the last time I played for them). I'll finally be suiting up for them tomorrow so we'll see how I do after taking a couple weeks off post-championship/post-childbirth. I'm looking forward to getting on the ice (read: getting out of the house).

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Amazingly we got a point out of the game the other night. Went up 6-3 at one point, and then we just tried to go into a defensive shell which was a bad idea. They tied it up and won in OT. I faced 51 shots though, which in a 45 minute game is alot. Everyone, including the league director said I played amazingly well, and was a major reason why it wasn't a blowout, but man, a win would've been so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A little late, but here's last week's GoPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBAO0UO4Xw

• Locked thread