Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Anything is possible musically if you just now how to manipulate sine waves :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Also I'm preeeeety sure I'm gonna pick up an Analog 4 next month. It'll play well with my MS-20 and Microbrute, and together I can call them the Brute 420. And I like Berlin school which is from what I've seen is a perfect match.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

W424 posted:

I just wake up but are folks really suggesting that having a long release will make a reverb unnecessary? loving lol.

They are, and I think somebody in there complimented Aphex Twin for being talented. It's synthy clusterfuck.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

toadee posted:

Compression is like it's own artform/texture. Mr Oizo uses his compressors like another instrument. The response is actually really hard to fake, it goes way beyond simple volume up/down.

Does anybody know of any good and mindblowing reading on creative compressor use that goes well beyond "a compressor works like this, sidechain to sound like Daft Punk"?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think daft punk is just an alesis 3630 with the bass hitting super hard to pump, not actually sidechained, but I could be wrong. This is a big part of most french house, I think.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

field balm posted:

Daft punk is just an alesis 3630

The thing with the 3636 was that it was a dirt cheap compressor that could side-chain.

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

stillvisions posted:

I have committed a mortal sin; I built a new case for my modular and made the mistake of leaving a lot of extra room in it for new modules.

Made the thing out of some cheap mahogany ends I bought at a lumber yard years ago; the rails cost more than all the other materials used to make it. While designing it I was hoping that I'd have enough of a spacer to not make things too cramped where horizontal meets vertical but it looks like I'll have to pick my modules carefully in that area, if I ever fill it all. In a perfect world I won't fill this one up before making the next case, and with 15U to work with, I really hope that's the case. This was sparked by another ill-advised thing - buying some new modules.; I was planning to buy them in the longer term, but when I got to the store I could see the new prices waiting to be stuck on the boxes; the Canadian dollar is tanking so we're talking a 20% jump in module prices so I bought some I was planning to get anyway before the new prices kick in, which meant I needed room for the new modules now. The Mysteron and Rene are a lot of fun.

At least I have the crappy Canadian dollar to scare me off any more new modules.

Get the RxMx, man :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXzqw2hNYFA

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Sjoewe posted:

The thing with the 3636 was that it was a dirt cheap compressor that could side-chain.

Shows what I know! I thought I read something like that but I'm too lazy to look it up on my phone.

I always use reacomp for sidechains and nightshine on my drum bus so maybe I just made it up!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Tayter Swift posted:

Also I'm preeeeety sure I'm gonna pick up an Analog 4 next month. It'll play well with my MS-20 and Microbrute, and together I can call them the Brute 420. And I like Berlin school which is from what I've seen is a perfect match.

:350: A Brute 420 :350:
Get it! It totally is. The envelopes are a little non-traditional and for ratcheting it's easier to plock an LFO being used as an env but insofar as monomachine was electro-in-a-box, I'd say A4 is berlin-in-a-box. Or at least a germans coping the roland 100m sound coping berlin school in a box whatever. Don't forget to set master pattern length to "INF" and you'll be all set.

As cool as RxMx is I'm really more interested in the FXDf, maybe if I had a larger system...
Speaking of magic box sparkles Black Market Modular is bringing the DIYRE Colour 500 series rack modules to euro. This is mostly interesting to me since it'll allow for a transformer sat and two preset compressors in a relatively small module, but there's all sorts of 'Colours' available from fuzz to delay. To my knowledge this module is the first 'Palette" with a control implemented, not sure any Colours available actually use it, the ones I've seen are all pre-set set with trimmers or jumpers on the board if they have any settings to change.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So, who wants to get me a MOTM 650 for my birthday?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Real synthesists generate CV with sheer brainpower.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Why do some (cool and good) people write "bus" correctly, and others write "buss", which is clearly wrong and incorrect and feels like something they'd want to retcon into being sort-of-torturedly justified when it really, really isn't?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Tried to keep that question as little loaded as possible.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

1/4" patch in my dilz and a song in my heart

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

nah, I'll just manipulate the airwaves directly (because I'm a wizard).

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Why do some (cool and good) people write "bus" correctly, and others write "buss", which is clearly wrong and incorrect and feels like something they'd want to retcon into being sort-of-torturedly justified when it really, really isn't?

i did music tech at school & that's what we were taught (also in our books), so i absorbed it & i never thought about it; but you're right & i'm wrong and now i feel shame.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Mission accomplished. :smug: Now I'm not the only person in the world who feels bad.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

I can do that, but only monophonically. Also, converting volt/octave for microtonal scales while generating a CV signal is kind of taxing.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Some synth nerd in Amsterdam captured footage of Kraftwerk's allegedly secret live setup during a recent concert.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7CTPNTDb4

Analysis here: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/kraftwerk-live-rig-exposed-really-checking-email/#more-36601

Actually a more interactive setup than I expected, but still apparently affords them the luxury to browse the web while playing live.

The YouTuber seems to have captured multiple angles during this and one other show (hmm, I don't know how to link to his channel without the forum mangling the link.)

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 27, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I hoe they're just watching cat-playing-keyboard videos on YouTube during the whole set. If anyone has earned the right, it's Kraftwerk.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I've been looking hard at it, not gonna lie. I've already got a DPO so the built-in connection is nice, plus I was looking for a LPG since I tend to run out of envelopes/VCAs first. Also I've been thinking about it as a neat way to get some stereo movement - by doubling inputs to the left and right side you can get some neat stereo movement by using the A and C outputs to left and right, leave the middle two channels as the centre bias. Whether sweeping pings back and forth or constant levels I think it'd be a nice addition and a bit more variety than just adding another linix.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

snorch posted:

Does anybody know of any good and mindblowing reading on creative compressor use that goes well beyond "a compressor works like this, sidechain to sound like Daft Punk"?

The Distressor manual.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm casually looking to sell mine if you're in the U.S. and would like to discuss! It's a phenomenal box that I just don't use enough because I have so much gear.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators came in yesterday. Haven't got them up and running yet because having a 6 month old takes up ALL YOUR TIME, but good lord those things are even smaller than I thought.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

snorch posted:

No, but I have a video that goes so far down the Daft Punk compression rabbit hole that it had me laughing out loud when I first watched it.

Sonic Academy - How to Make French House in Cubase

Before 2010, I had never used a plugin or a DAW, and I didn't know anything about mixing or recording. I basically just used MIDI-only sequencers with hardware synths and cheap effects units, and recorded unmastered mixes to tape.

This tutorial was one of the first things I saw when I started getting into DAWs and production vs. just using computers as a very basic composition tool, and I was just like, "All of this technology, and THAT'S what we're doing with it?"

In Sonic Academy's defense they've done some pretty solid stuff since then, and I really like their ANA plugin.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I recently got my hands on a Yamaha DX7 for cheap, and while I've been driving myself batty trying to figure out FM synthesis and all of the algorithm poo poo, I've been told that finding a good patch librarian and voice editor software and just using MIDI to transfer the patches will make me much saner.

However, most of the resources online peter-out around 2006 at the very latest, and I'm having trouble finding good instances of either of these things. Would anyone have any helpful information as to where to find a good patch librarian and editor? Would basic MIDI software handle that, and if so, what's recommended?

edit: this one looks promising, but I'm uncertain as to whether I'll be able to transfer directly to my DX7 with it.

99 CENTS AMIGO fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 28, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I recently got my hands on a Yamaha DX7 for cheap, and while I've been driving myself batty trying to figure out FM synthesis and all of the algorithm poo poo, I've been told that finding a good patch librarian and voice editor software and just using MIDI to transfer the patches will make me much saner.

However, most of the resources online peter-out around 2006 at the very latest, and I'm having trouble finding good instances of either of these things. Would anyone have any helpful information as to where to find a good patch librarian and editor? Would basic MIDI software handle that, and if so, what's recommended?

edit: this one looks promising, but I'm uncertain as to whether I'll be able to transfer directly to my DX7 with it.

That shouldn't be a problem. How patch editors work is, you adjust a parameter on the interface, a couple of ms pass, the editor sends the new sysex data to the synth, the synth receives it and updates the patch. The hardest part about getting them to work is ALWAYS getting the device ids of the software and the target synth to match.

You're actually lucky that you're trying to find an editor/librarian for the most common synth. The only good, multiple instrument, editor ever made for the PC was sounddiver, that's been discontinued for, like, 15 years. Fortunately it still runs, but I know I'm eventually going to have to build a circa '04 xp box exclusively to run it on.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
SYSEX is the magic word for transferring patches.
Sound Quest's MIDI Quest is pretty much the holy grail for this, supports many different synths and offers a nice GUI too.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Reminds me, I've got a license for midiquest which I will -gladly- sell someone.

Midiquest is terrible. terrible. terrible.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, it looks like the one that I linked in that last post is designed specifically for the DX7 1 and 2, so that should (hopefully!) cover what I need.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sizone posted:

Reminds me, I've got a license for midiquest which I will -gladly- sell someone.

Midiquest is terrible. terrible. terrible.

Is it? :ohdear:
Why so?

It was eyeballing the essential version to ease programming for my DX27 and Poly 800.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Opcode Galaxy+ is handily the best TX/DX editor IMO. Worth spending beer money on an old PowerBook or something.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

Is it? :ohdear:
Why so?

It was eyeballing the essential version to ease programming for my DX27 and Poly 800.

Basically, it doesn't loving work and is.....hard to explain, it's just gross. Years ago I got an uno license for it, tried it, gave up and went back to using sounddiver. Last year I needed to find an editor that supports the ASR-X, unthinkingly shelled out for a license upgrade. Fine print says that it's only a librarian for the ASR-X. Fine, I say, I need to get away from this 14 year old editing program I've been using anyway. Tried to use it to patch some fully supported synths, gave up in disgust and went back to sounddiver, again.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm casually looking to sell mine if you're in the U.S. and would like to discuss! It's a phenomenal box that I just don't use enough because I have so much gear.

I think I might be able to score one here, but thanks for the offer :)

I do have a couple of questions though.

First, are these the insert cables it needs for CV out to other synths? I screwed up last time I went looking.

Also, if I understand correctly the CV is sequenced in its own track. Does this include note data? In other words, can I fully sequence my MS-20 independently of the other tracks and essentially have a five-voice multi timbal groovebox, or even six if I can find a way to being the Microbrute in?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I think I might be able to score one here, but thanks for the offer :)

I do have a couple of questions though.

First, are these the insert cables it needs for CV out to other synths? I screwed up last time I went looking.

Also, if I understand correctly the CV is sequenced in its own track. Does this include note data? In other words, can I fully sequence my MS-20 independently of the other tracks and essentially have a five-voice multi timbal groovebox, or even six if I can find a way to being the Microbrute in?

Yes those are correct although I've used the pigtail instead which is a little more flexible since you can choose the length you need with the end you want. If/when you start a euro, there's also the Synapse which works a treat.

There's six tracks on the machine 1/2/3/4/FX/CV. Each of the four CVs can be V/oct, Hz/oct, "VAL"ue(do whatever CV), trigger, gate, clock. Pitch, trig, and gate can be assigned to any of the six tracks. So for driving two monosynths traditionally, two tracks of CV+Gate, just assign each pair to FX and CV, respectively. You can still manipulate the FX with plocks/EGs/LFOs, it's not used up. This is a departure from older Elektron boxes in that effect tracks would be gated by trigs on their tracks. The FX are live all the time as long as they're not turned down.
You could also use a VAL manipulated by an EG (or one shot LFO) to directly drive a VCA/VCF rather than a gate or trigger. Or any combination.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

Yes those are correct although I've used the pigtail instead which is a little more flexible since you can choose the length you need with the end you want. If/when you start a euro, there's also the Synapse which works a treat.

There's six tracks on the machine 1/2/3/4/FX/CV. Each of the four CVs can be V/oct, Hz/oct, "VAL"ue(do whatever CV), trigger, gate, clock. Pitch, trig, and gate can be assigned to any of the six tracks. So for driving two monosynths traditionally, two tracks of CV+Gate, just assign each pair to FX and CV, respectively. You can still manipulate the FX with plocks/EGs/LFOs, it's not used up. This is a departure from older Elektron boxes in that effect tracks would be gated by trigs on their tracks. The FX are live all the time as long as they're not turned down.
You could also use a VAL manipulated by an EG (or one shot LFO) to directly drive a VCA/VCF rather than a gate or trigger. Or any combination.

Oh, looks like the pigtail is more what I need then. And since the L/R inputs can be independently panned it looks like I really will have something of a six-voice beast, sweet. Thanks much!

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Yeah, it looks like the one that I linked in that last post is designed specifically for the DX7 1 and 2, so that should (hopefully!) cover what I need.

I use the SY77 version. Slightly odd interface, but works.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Paid today so I got a few more bits.

Stuff still kicks rear end, still haven't begun learning c.

But I know what I'm going to be feeding into my ER-1's audio inputs for that make a one minute ADD track thing.

Running it through the ER-1 for gating and drums, multitracked it twice while playing with the knobs

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sizone posted:

Paid today so I got a few more bits.

Stuff still kicks rear end, still haven't begun learning c.

But I know what I'm going to be feeding into my ER-1's audio inputs for that make a one minute ADD track thing.

Running it through the ER-1 for gating and drums, multitracked it twice while playing with the knobs

Yeah, I've been meaning to break out the Arduino kit I picked up a while ago and see what I can do to make something useful for the eurorack. The coding part shouldn't be bad; I code C for a living so any sort of CV input/output shouldn't be too evil, it's more the fun of working up the the desire to code in my spare time when I already barely have the free time to commit to music. Sorta why the MIDI to CV kit I have is still in the box - every time I think about breaking it open I'd rather be playing with the modular.