Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Mercedes have done some top tier letter of the law following: the FIA didn't like the way they (and other teams) mounted the cameras on the nose to reduce the drag

The FIA said the mountings were "too long" to try to force teams to stick them horizontally on the side of the nose, but instead Mercedes have stuck them on pillars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Brainwrong posted:

I try to stay away from reddit these days but it's quality like this that keeps dragging me back:

"Is this why the McLaren has serrations between its rear wings?? Owls fly silently due to edges of their primary feathers. When most birds fly, turbulence from air over their wings creates noise. Owls have their primary feathers serrated, which divides turbulence into micro-turbulences. "

It's like all information people on reddit knows comes from the front page.

McLaren is building a bird of prey, not a car. Makes sense now.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Dudley posted:

In the same session Alice Powell was 6 seconds and 6 places quicker, Vicky Pirla 7 seconds and 13 places quicker. Her teammates by the way were also 6 and 7 seconds quicker.

Alice Powell... OK, she's faster and better, but maybe not so "marketable".

Vicky Piria, on the other hand, even faster and also cleans up real nice.

WTF, Lotus?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Simona uber alles.

loving Monisha....:argh:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Did they really need to put her in heels for that picture? Would her being in her racing shoes have lessened the quality of that image somehow? It would be really nice if someone could promote a woman driver without having to resort to that kind of nonsense. Williams seems to have done a pretty decent job of talking about Susie Wolff without resorting to putting her in a short dress or things like that. Usually she's in a firesuit, just like the men on the team.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Maybe she really likes wearing heals?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Funzo posted:

Did they really need to put her in heels for that picture? Would her being in her racing shoes have lessened the quality of that image somehow? It would be really nice if someone could promote a woman driver without having to resort to that kind of nonsense. Williams seems to have done a pretty decent job of talking about Susie Wolff without resorting to putting her in a short dress or things like that. Usually she's in a firesuit, just like the men on the team.

It's not exactly astonishing that a team being run by a woman is less skeevy about its marketing of a woman

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Spaced God posted:

Apparently the Alonso crash is a McClaren cover-up :tinfoil:

I like to think we can bring together 2 thread favourites out of this: Ron "Sperglord" Dennis being himself, and ~~mindgames~~

Ron has seen that a lack of information is apparently upsetting or otherwise stopping other drivers from relaxing (according to that article, this is a Fact with a capital F)

So he's deliberately keeping Ferdie in hospital longer than he needs to and witholding the camera footage so that it *looks like* a coverup

The FIA were busying about because there are rules governing ownership of testing footage and Ron is trying to stall them or otherwise convince them that the camera memory chip is a car component and therefore property of Macca (or something like that)

All of this for the purpose of ~~mindgames~~

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Funzo posted:

Is it a coincidence that Williams is run by a woman?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Butt Wizard posted:

Maybe Alonso's accident was caused by running over a loving field mouse that didn't hear him coming

Holy poo poo, that is such a funny post that now I have a groin injury.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Tsaedje posted:

It's not exactly astonishing that a team being run by a woman is less skeevy about its marketing of a woman

No, but that doesn't give the other teams an excuse. They shouldn't get a pass because they're being run by men.
All I really want out of this is to be able to tell my daughters that they can be race car drivers when they grow up, without having to add the caveat of "but only if you're pretty" at the end.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Funzo posted:

No, but that doesn't give the other teams an excuse. They shouldn't get a pass because they're being run by men.
All I really want out of this is to be able to tell my daughters that they can be race car drivers when they grow up, without having to add the caveat of "but only if you're pretty" at the end.

Nobody's holding a gun to her head.

Google her name - she's not exactly shy about getting her kit off.

e: actually she's Italian so there might indeed be a gun at her head.

:italy:

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 27, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

Alice Powell... OK, she's faster and better, but maybe not so "marketable".

That double chin diffuser has to yield some sort of aerodynamic advantage.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Riso posted:

Exactly.

If Toto is Tywin, who is Bernie?
Littlefinger

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Funzo posted:

I actually agree with you, they really shouldn't seed to sexualize a pretty female driver for publicity stuff, but we all know that "sex sells" (still) and most of these corporate guys will do whatever they think gives them a slightly better bottom line, regardless of whether or not it makes you look like TeamDirtbag and may have negative long run implications. It's funny, when I was looking for pictures, I found myself wondering if the women felt the need to wear makeup on race day. Williams has actually done a pretty commendable job of marketing Suzie as a driver, and not ... well, Danica Patrick.

Edit: Copedy option... put Pastor in a dress.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

:siren: Button has done 50 laps so far today :siren:

You better not be trolling me here, Tsaedje... :hawaaaafap:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
McLaren are up to 78 laps today, they have just exceeded Mercedes (77) and Williams (75)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

CratSock posted:

Edit: Copedy option... put Pastor in a dress.
It worked pretty well for Coulthard

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Funzo posted:

If your daughters aren't driving kart already they will never make it to F1.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Riso posted:

If your daughters aren't driving kart already Grahame Chilton they will never make it to F1.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

McLaren are up to 78 laps today, they have just exceeded Mercedes (77) and Williams (75)

McLaren confirmed to be bringing a race winning car to Australia.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
On his 80th lap Jenson has jumped from 1:28 to 1:26.362. Fastest time is Bottas with 1:23.995

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the mclaren has looked balanced and easy to drive throughout all the tests (according to those who are actually there, e.g. chandhok) but no one knows what that means since it's unlikely they are running at full power

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Crank that Honda up and set some pace, Jense! :dance:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think it means McLaren have built a decent car, but are extremely reliant on Honda having built a good and reliable engine, which remains to be seen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I think it means McLaren have built a decent car, but are extremely reliant on Honda having built a good and reliable engine, which remains to be seen.

Even the car is an unknown, if they're backing off the car we really don't know how it'll handle at full speed. It is a positive sign but we really can't read too much into the car at this stage.

There hasn't been any comments about the power curve being uneven like there was with Renault last year so that's a plus.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Stevens, who raced in the final round of 2014, must obtain a super licence.

Wait, what? Will Stevens managed to race without a superlicense??

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Wait, what? Will Stevens managed to race without a superlicense??

I'm presuming he needs a 2015 superlicense

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Even the car is an unknown, if they're backing off the car we really don't know how it'll handle at full speed. It is a positive sign but we really can't read too much into the car at this stage.

There hasn't been any comments about the power curve being uneven like there was with Renault last year so that's a plus.

Bad news: Honda's engines have traditionally been all about top end power.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Riso posted:

If your daughters aren't driving kart already they will never make it to F1.

Of course they won't. I doubt either one of them wants to race at all. It would still be nice to have women in jobs like that without relying on sex to promote them as role models though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

I'm presuming he needs a 2015 superlicense

Doesn't he qualify already though?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Doesn't he qualify already though?

He should do, I imagine it's all paperwork and :10bux: "processing" :10bux:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Funzo posted:

Of course they won't. I doubt either one of them wants to race at all. It would still be nice to have women in jobs like that without relying on sex to promote them as role models though.

Sex appeal is going to be a big part of it, unfortunately, which is somewhat weird as the best woman F1 drivers (Lombardi and Wilson) were hardly lookers and drove in a time that was much less progressive.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Riso posted:

If Toto is Tywin, who is Bernie?
George R R Martin.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Rosberg just put on the soft tyre and did a 1:22.792, 1.2s faster than Bottas with the next nearest time.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Lol at all the McFailern fanboys in this thread, Mclaren are poo poo and they will get comfortably beaten by force india and pave the way for Sebastian Vettels first wdc with the glorious Scuderia Italia Ferrari f t w

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

Rosberg just put on the soft tyre and did a 1:22.792, 1.2s faster than Bottas with the next nearest time.

Mindgames.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

Lol at all the McFailern fanboys in this thread, Mclaren are poo poo and they will get comfortably beaten by force india and pave the way for Sebastian Vettels first wdc with the glorious Scuderia Italia Ferrari f t w

You're going to be bitterly disappointed when McLaren are hauling in 1-2s while the fraud is racing his heart out for 9th place.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGN3TSdievc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Button just hit 100 laps. An actual thing that McLaren did. (on the 10th day of 12 days of testing)

• Locked thread