Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

DW's are WAAAAAAAY cheaper in the size I need but their UTQG rating is so much lower than the DWS. I'm torn.

What weather are you encountering? I'm running the DW but we rarely have any weather below freezing. When it ices over the whole area shuts down anyways. I put the DWS on my wife's car and they are super quiet, seemed to help MPG a bit from the stickier summer tires she had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

T-Square posted:

Everyone at work had bags full of Girl Scout Cookies today.

No one ever asked me if I wanted to buy Girl Scout Cookies :(

Scouts are still a thing?????

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Siochain posted:

VMS deposits for gold/copper? Or what are you pulling out? Sorry, geo nerd (wife's the geologist).

Looking for Zn ± Pb-Ag at the moment. We're trying to find the next Century mine, because with those guys closing soon (and mates of mine that work at that company quietly making GBS threads themselves) zinc supply is going to be interesting for a while. Here's the Geoscience Australia exploration model for sediment-hosted massive-sulphide (SHMS) deposits, some light reading: http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA5395.pdf

Mt Isa is the ur-example of this, Century/HYC/Lady Loretta/McArthur are the not-as-big ones. Mt Isa is Pb-dominated so it comes with a host of environmental problems, Century has Pb but it's Zn dominated and it's also in the middle of nowhere. I'd hate to try to operate a lead-smelting operation near a population centre. Broken Hill is, arguably, a good example of this type of deposit as well but people try to call it its own type. I would argue it's just a SHMS deposit that has been heavily reworked by the Delamerian Orogeny. The Broken Hill area is great, you can see every type of metamorphism through the middle of the P-T diagram in a single day trip, there's places you can grab purple garnets and chiastolite off the ground as well as massive chunks of chlorite schist in the retrograde area just north of town. Also, if you're in the area, from an AI point of view I highly recommend visiting the Mad Max museum in Silverton - they filmed a lot of Mad Max 2 in the area, and they have one of the two Interceptors they used for that movie in their collection.

I spent my third-year camp there, we mapped for three weeks. There were 40 of us on camp, and this is what the back porch of the station house we were staying at looked like every morning:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today was excellent.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes, and especially girl scouts.

Unlike boy scouts, they aren't homophobic, racist anti everyone who isn't white Christian fuckheads and apparently actually do good things for the girls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Yes, and especially girl scouts.

Unlike boy scouts, they aren't homophobic, racist anti everyone who isn't white Christian fuckheads and apparently actually do good things for the girls.

Somebody's never seen Troupe Beverly Hills.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can tell already this season is going to suck, big group of people here from Michigan for some gymnastics competition, and of course when the pre teen girls go to bed the parents get drunk and it's amateur hour. I find out one of them is sexually harassing one of the front desk girls and when I go to follow him to have a Come To Jesus talk I find him in the parking lot taking a piss. At this point it behooves one to apologize profusely, but instead he chooses to get in my face and puff out his dumb drunk rear end chest. Then the rest of the group wants to argue about how unjust it is that I am evicting him out on his drunk rear end, because he has a daughter that needs him. How is that my problem? Blame the security guard though, not your idiot drunk friend.

I should seriously copy and paste some of my security reports here. My wife reads them for entertainment :smithicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You're the guy behind @_FLORIDAMAN on Twitter, aren't you?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

leica posted:

I should seriously copy and paste some of my security reports here. My wife reads them for entertainment :smithicide:

Yes please.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

You're the guy behind @_FLORIDAMAN on Twitter, aren't you?

Florida: Come on vacation, leave on probation, return on a violation.

This is also some of the other poo poo I get to deal with, copied from my report:

security jerk posted:

On my patrol of the Tahitian I found that the door of the supply closet with the propane tanks was still not fixed and not staying closed. Since the maintenance door was also left open, I decided to just fix the closet door by myself, so I grabbed a drill and moved the striker over about 1/8th of an inch and the door works fine now.

I have been reporting that broken door for over a month. Took me literally three minutes to fix it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mariooncrack posted:

I just got back from dinner. I don't feel so good.

A local restaurant near me only has this once a year. It is one of the most intimidating sandwich I have ever had. I split this with someone. They call it "The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon Melt." List of ingredients:

Hickory Smoked Bacon, Black Pepper Crusted Slab Cut Bacon, Maple Bourbon Glazed Smoked Pork Belly, Italian Pancetta, Herb Cream Cheese with Bacon Bits, In-house made Bacon infused Mayonnaise, Sharp Cheddar, Fresh Romaine and Sliced Tomato

I also had this:

Hangover Fries / fresh hand cut fries, seared pork belly, mozzarella cheese curd, rich gravy, fried sunny up egg & scallions

This seriously might be one of the best meals I've ever had but I'm going to pay for it later.

Fuuuuuuuck I wanna eat that.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Material handler at my work got sent to security for smelling like booze. Here we are 3 days later and his desk is cleaned off.

He literally just pissed 22 years and a bad rear end pension away. Like Hughes legacy-badass-pension. And he's probably black balled by the government as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Avatar chat from a bit ago, I feel someone should get this as an avatar before I decide to buy it for myself.

New old car day best day!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Started a new project at work yesterday only 45 minutes from my house. They are overheating the building. You may think that's nice in the winter, but doing labor in 100* is not fun. Three of us went through an entire case of water yesterday by lunch. I brought two shirts and kept changing them out to dry off from all the sweat. Gross. I was talking to one of the carpenters and she said it was 190* on the second floor last week.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
190 degrees Fahrenheit would kill you almost instantly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The people of Finland would disagree with that statement. Saunas can easily get up to and over 190F.

Also gently caress this cold so hard; too congested to sleep properly, too tired to do anything other than attempt to sleep.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looks like the warm temps yesterday helped melt most of the fresh snow. Then it all froze. Hill doesn't look too bad but the VW's tires were frozen into the bit of snow on the driveway and once broken loose there wasn't enough grip to get out of the driveway. Waiting for the sun to come out so I can see what I'm doing then I get to dig my car out :argh: Yay winter?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Started a new project at work yesterday only 45 minutes from my house. They are overheating the building. You may think that's nice in the winter, but doing labor in 100* is not fun. Three of us went through an entire case of water yesterday by lunch. I brought two shirts and kept changing them out to dry off from all the sweat. Gross. I was talking to one of the carpenters and she said it was 190* on the second floor last week.
Doing anything other than sitting around with a nice breeze sucks in those temps. That company is stupid. I worked a warehouse job one summer on the second floor and temps would hit 125-130 on hot days, even with barn fans that sucked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

It's a shame that the Boy Scouts have such a bad rap now. My son is one and I've worked some of their outings/campouts. This local group does a lot for a) the local community and b) the kids themselves. A lot of the kids are from non-traditional houses and they obviously need some support and guidance and they get that partially from the Scouts. The local troop is mixed in race and background and couldn't be farther from the stereotype.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

mariooncrack posted:

I just got back from dinner. I don't feel so good.

A local restaurant near me only has this once a year. It is one of the most intimidating sandwich I have ever had. I split this with someone. They call it "The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon Melt." List of ingredients:

Hickory Smoked Bacon, Black Pepper Crusted Slab Cut Bacon, Maple Bourbon Glazed Smoked Pork Belly, Italian Pancetta, Herb Cream Cheese with Bacon Bits, In-house made Bacon infused Mayonnaise, Sharp Cheddar, Fresh Romaine and Sliced Tomato

I also had this:

Hangover Fries / fresh hand cut fries, seared pork belly, mozzarella cheese curd, rich gravy, fried sunny up egg & scallions

This seriously might be one of the best meals I've ever had but I'm going to pay for it later.

See ya soon! Love, TC.

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh yeah, my daughter is one and sold just shy of $1,000 worth of cookies this year. Guess who gets to front the money between the time she gets the cookies and they are delivered to the people that ordered them? This guy. I mean me, I'm this guy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

The people of Finland would disagree with that statement. Saunas can easily get up to and over 190F.

Also gently caress this cold so hard; too congested to sleep properly, too tired to do anything other than attempt to sleep.

I guess it depends on humidity level.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

meatpimp posted:

It's a shame that the Boy Scouts have such a bad rap now. My son is one and I've worked some of their outings/campouts. This local group does a lot for a) the local community and b) the kids themselves. A lot of the kids are from non-traditional houses and they obviously need some support and guidance and they get that partially from the Scouts. The local troop is mixed in race and background and couldn't be farther from the stereotype.

Yup. When I was a boy scout it was like that too. The larger organization is by and large co-opted by the Mormon church but individual troops don't necessarily partake in the Kool-Aid as heavily.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ugh. Was feeling crappy when I got home from work. Went to bed around 10pm (normally I'm going to bed around 5am). Actually fell asleep at my desk with a post typed up, then some kind of notification from the PC woke me back up. Went to bed, Woke up 30 minutes ago shivering and sweating my rear end off.

I have my puny desktop fan/heater about 3 inches away from me, and the air that I know is hot feels like a cool breeze. So much for that flu shot I guess.

Looks like I get to replace the USB port on my phone soon. :sigh: It still charges fine, but it won't connect to a computer unless you hold the cable at just the right angle. Tried several cables to rule out worn out cables. I'm just going to use a wireless charger so I don't damage the port any further until I can replace it; a new one is $15 on Amazon, and videos make it look dead simple to replace.

Scout talk: I was both Cub Scout, then a Boy Scout until I was 15 or 16 and lost interest.

Bajaha posted:

My favorite AV was ultimateforces underwater welding one, chuckled every time it got mentioned.

I spent nearly an hour trying to find the perfect image for that one. :v: I was a little disappointed when someone replaced it, though the current one is pretty epic too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 27, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

Yeah, which apparently I've done a great job of NOT doing. I can't imagine making somebody so mad they get the urge to spend 10 bucks on me.

It's probably one of the best parts about this site. You can tell what avatars I've bought myself, I wish the text was with some of them because they were comedy gold

https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Tusen+takk+

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had some really good ones myself. The ones I've bought for myself are the two nightmare fuel AVs.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Ladies and gentlemen...today is Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI

It's gonna be a drat good weekend.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Entire paycheck is already gone, save for :10bux:.

Car payment and phone bill. :sigh:

I didn't make poo poo for tips yesterday either. $26 for 9 hours, it was loving dead all day. :sigh: Hopefully today is better.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo we got our taxes back already :vince:

some texas redneck posted:

Entire paycheck is already gone, save for :10bux:.

Car payment and phone bill. :sigh:

I didn't make poo poo for tips yesterday either. $26 for 9 hours, it was loving dead all day. :sigh: Hopefully today is better.

Same, rent just ate my entire paycheque :(

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Yep this week's check goes to the mortgage for me. Anything left over this month going straight to my car payment. Want to pay off the crimson turd before summer.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Fingers crossed. Job and AI related I went to have a 'chat' with a guy at Jaguar Land Rover today as I applied for a job on his team in infotainment wanting to play with their speaker setups. He said there's a couple of jobs being created, possibly in his team and that if I'm a fit for them he'll give me a call. Apparently JLR runs glacially slow when it comes to this kinda thing but they're good at creating a job for particular people they want so we'll see what happens.

I have never seen so many Aston Martins in one place. Ever. Or loving Range Rovers for that matter. Certainly never seen that many test mules and I've never noticed one of the camo patterns they have is shaped like people, which is particularly fantastic. Saw a rogue Ferrari getting spanked too, I'm assuming that was the Aston engineers.

That sounds more interesting than the places I've heard back from. Although one place does make steering components for cars, trucks and heavy equipment.

I looked at applying to Ford but everything they had was for either for internships or stuff that required 8+ years of automotive engineering experience. I went to the Henry Ford Museum last June (most AI museum, everyone here needs to go) which is right next to their powertrain engineering building and I got to see cars going around the test track. Dream job right there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tusen Takk posted:

It's probably one of the best parts about this site. You can tell what avatars I've bought myself, I wish the text was with some of them because they were comedy gold

https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Tusen+takk+

November 22nd was a good date for you

:gay:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I love working in 6 ft. tall dirt floor basements with minimal lighting.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy poo poo we got our taxes back already :vince:
My refund hit my bank account 2/7

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
when did you file?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

when did you file?

On Sunday through TurboTax.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Paycheck chat: Gots ta get paid! Except, I finally adjusted my w4 after 2 kids and marriage last week/week before. Paycheck is $150 lighter. :sigh: That's going to make some things harder.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ssjonizuka posted:

Paycheck chat: Gots ta get paid! Except, I finally adjusted my w4 after 2 kids and marriage last week/week before. Paycheck is $150 lighter. :sigh: That's going to make some things harder.

Doesn't that mean you won't owe as much/anything during tax season? I'd rather my cheque be lighter and not have to take a few grand out of savings later down the road but that's just me.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Last few returns have been comparably enormous - leading me to believe, things were the other way around.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ssjonizuka posted:

Last few returns have been comparably enormous - leading me to believe, things were the other way around.

Me and my wife just filled out our W4s since we just got married and it takes less out of our cheque now, and if we had kids it'd take even less (though it does give you the option to enter 0 to make sure you don't end up owing)

Are you sure you did it right? :confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SFH1989 posted:

That sounds more interesting than the places I've heard back from. Although one place does make steering components for cars, trucks and heavy equipment.

I looked at applying to Ford but everything they had was for either for internships or stuff that required 8+ years of automotive engineering experience. I went to the Henry Ford Museum last June (most AI museum, everyone here needs to go) which is right next to their powertrain engineering building and I got to see cars going around the test track. Dream job right there.

Come build flying cars with me. We want people with experience, but I don't think we require 8 years of experience.

Bonus: you don't have to move to Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

On Sunday through TurboTax.

drat. That's awesome. We use an accountant so ours always takes longer.

• Locked thread