Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

JustJeff88 posted:

I was able to recover 2 of my 4 accounts back in... 2012? I got my back my druid and bard, but not my paladin or wizard. The wizard I wasn't horribly attached to, but the paladin broke my heart. I made another paladin and even redid the 1.0 epic, but I still miss my "real" paladin. I hope that you can get back every character you wish, though.

By the way, I do know that paladins aren't very popular in recent years, possibly ever, but he was precious to me. The hell we went through getting his 1.0 is the stuff of legends and possibly thoughts of suicide.

That's how it was for me. The highest character on my account was a 60 cleric, which i could have gotten back up in no time but there's something about logging in on a 15 year old account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks guys. I tried calling them but their phone number doesn't work anymore-- just a voice message saying to use the online ticket system. :(

Here's hoping I get it back within the week!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I tried calling them but their phone number doesn't work anymore-- just a voice message saying to use the online ticket system. :(

lol

si
Apr 26, 2004

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Thanks guys. I tried calling them but their phone number doesn't work anymore-- just a voice message saying to use the online ticket system. :(

Here's hoping I get it back within the week!

When I did this a couple years ago, I went through the online system and was told that this sort of thing had to be done over the phone for authentication purposes. Yours will be an exciting new adventure. Good luck, goon sir.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question: Did anyone have difficulty logging in this morning? I am on Test, but I didn't know if it was a game-wide problem. I had left some toons logged in overnight. They were still where they were and all was well, but I tried two different PCs and I couldn't log in any of my other toons. Every time I would attempt to log in, it would either tell me that there was an "unknown error", or that my password didn't work even though I bloody well know that I put it in properly.

I would just like someone else to confirm that the login server was down or some such, because otherwise I am in deep trouble. I would really like to get my enchanter to 95 tonight as the new spells at that level are brilliant.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Login servers were definitely down for a while last night

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.twitch.tv/daybreakgames/v/3805856?t=19m38s

Pretty squishy commitment and who knows whether EQ will even exist in three weeks, but apparently they said they want a progression server in that twitch stream.

Possibly interesting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kazak_Hstan posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/daybreakgames/v/3805856?t=19m38s

Pretty squishy commitment and who knows whether EQ will even exist in three weeks, but apparently they said they want a progression server in that twitch stream.

Possibly interesting.

EQ will exist for a long time, it's just in what form is the question. the more pertinent information is if the size of expansions is going to change (definitely,) if they will increase the time between expansion releases, and if they're going to merge servers

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Node posted:

EQ will exist for a long time, it's just in what form is the question. the more pertinent information is if the size of expansions is going to change (definitely,) if they will increase the time between expansion releases, and if they're going to merge servers

I think that server merges are going to happen. A bunch of the live servers are running at low populations, and it only makes sense. Less servers saves money without costing players. I am a little worried about Test; it is the only reason that I still play at all.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 12, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Did they ever change the way skill-ups for spellcasting skills (Abjuration, Alteration, Conjuration, Divination, Evocation) were calculated worked? Not that I know of, but I wanted to check. I have an 83 shaman who was power-leveled to a ridiculous degree, so his casting skills are shite and I have had to cast his weakest spells of each school thousands and thousands of times to get him up to speed. For years it was always the case that spell level didn't matter, just school and dumb luck, but if they changed it that higher-level spells bring more skill-ups, I would like to know. It is an incredibly slooooooowwww process.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just loaded up the patcher for the first time in a while and there was an ad for the 21st expansion.

Holy gently caress, 21 expansions. I started playing shortly after Kunark came out.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

JustJeff88 posted:

Did they ever change the way skill-ups for spellcasting skills (Abjuration, Alteration, Conjuration, Divination, Evocation) were calculated worked? Not that I know of, but I wanted to check. I have an 83 shaman who was power-leveled to a ridiculous degree, so his casting skills are shite and I have had to cast his weakest spells of each school thousands and thousands of times to get him up to speed. For years it was always the case that spell level didn't matter, just school and dumb luck, but if they changed it that higher-level spells bring more skill-ups, I would like to know. It is an incredibly slooooooowwww process.

You have to actually cast the spell to attempt a skill up. So if your casting skills are poo poo and you try to raise them by casting L80 spells, you'll just spend forever fizzling.

But you can cast a L1 spell with the skills of a L1, so you won't waste as much time fizzling. And the low level spells have some short cast times like 1.5 or 2.0. Other than that, spell level doesn't matter for skill ups afair.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

There are also a few ways to cheat regarding spell skillups. I know that one thing you can do to max Conjuration is to have a pet out, then spam one of the veteran AA's that summon a pet, such as Chaotic Jester. It will instantly fail because you already have a pet, but it will give you a chance of skilling up Conjuration. AAs that give invisibility also skillup Divination, although I'm not sure if any of them are spammable.

Anyway, I always just setup an elaborate chain of spellcasts combined with an AutoHotkey macro and max stuff out as necessary. I make a macro that casts 5 spells (with /pause), distributed with regards to what I want to skill up (for example: two evocation nukes, two abjuration buffs and one divination buff), then set AHK to fire off that macro every 30 seconds or so. I've even done it for like three characters at a time, swapping windows and hitting the macro on every character.

I still don't support auto-maxing skills in EQ though, because I love seeing numbers go up. :)

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
New progression server vote inquiry is up.. I had a lot of fun on Fippy, but Idk if I can do another one or not.. hrmm.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I voted current rules, because I liked fippy. However, the option to eventually just lock the server after sole point sounds okay. According to Windstalker on the eq boards it will be a dev choice. That could be the best of both worlds. The fun part of progression without the obligation to slog through TBS or w/e.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I voted for the uh challenge mode one or whatever, get bored pretty quickly when unlock times are forever.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

So SK epic:
Can I solo all this poo poo in poair and fear at 70ish? After looking over the write up I might have to concede to deathwing being right, and try to semi afk camp them while grinding on my other dudes.

si
Apr 26, 2004
If I recall trying to do that with my merry band of boxers, I went in there and got summarily destroyed with a group of 4 boxes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

darkhand posted:

So SK epic:
Can I solo all this poo poo in poair and fear at 70ish? After looking over the write up I might have to concede to deathwing being right, and try to semi afk camp them while grinding on my other dudes.

I just did the SK 1.0 and 2.0 a few years ago, and I cannot remember gently caress all about either one. When I did the murkglider camp for the 2.0, I had a couple of level 95s helping me, so that kind of breaks the difficulty curve.

I like the epic ornaments, but the quests are a pain in the tits. I have done the 1.0 ornament for my SK, enchanter, paladin and bard and, while I like the class-specific challenge for each one, the running around to 15 other zones is kind of tedious. Somewhat ironically, I have an 88 druid and an 84 wizard who are both porting classes and I haven't done the ornament quest for either of them.

I actually finished the enchanter 1.0 (Staff of the Serpent) while the goon guild was still very active a few years back. I got a lot of goon props for that, and I really appreciated it. The SotS is only good for vanity/bragging rights these days, but I will say that it is quite possibly the hardest 1.0 to still do because there are about 16 different bits to it of which only one is droppable (a Spoon) and none are MQable.

I named my Staff of the Serpent Rassssputin.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

darkhand posted:

So SK epic:

Doesn't something deathtouch in PoAir?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Doesn't something deathtouch in PoAir?

Deathtouchers start with I think the final boss of island 4, the Pegasus isle, and also the Spiroc Lord, boss of island 5. They continue on island 6 with those loving Bzzzts and either the hand or eye of Veeshan on 7 does also, but it doesn't spawn unless you specifically make it so.

The mobs are super easy now (keep in mind that Sky predates even Kunark), but you have to have some PC to take that DT.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

darkhand posted:

So SK epic:

70 should be 100% fine to solo those parts. The Sky drop is long before the DT mob islands (got mine off the fairy princess 10 feet from zonein) and Cazic's not hard at 70 either

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Speaking of death touch, a fun thing about the mudflation of modern EQ is that you can survive a DT now if you have enough HP. A DT does 100k damage, and the Mod2 Spell Shield can mitigate up to 35% of that, leaving 65k damage. Around level 90 or so, with some bazaar-bought gear, you should be able to get enough HP to just straight up eat it. With a merc and perhaps Mend or some other healing source, you can chain fight mobs like Sister of the Spire (triggered) or the Spiroc Lord. Fun fun.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I was talking with someone about classic EQ's game design. And I started wondering, what parts of early EQ would still be considered good game design today?

I don't mean the classic era fetishization of poo poo like boats, no maps and medding for 10 minutes. Things that would/do stand up in a modern single or multiplayer game as solid ideas.

Pilsner posted:

Speaking of death touch, a fun thing about the mudflation of modern EQ is that you can survive a DT now if you have enough HP. A DT does 100k damage, and the Mod2 Spell Shield can mitigate up to 35% of that, leaving 65k damage. Around level 90 or so, with some bazaar-bought gear, you should be able to get enough HP to just straight up eat it. With a merc and perhaps Mend or some other healing source, you can chain fight mobs like Sister of the Spire (triggered) or the Spiroc Lord. Fun fun.

For some chain DTing fun, you can fight Jalad'dar's Shade in Dragon Necropolis. Those sky mobs will probably die before they get a 2nd DT off, but he was a Velious mob that wasn't meant to be killed. So he'll live long enough to try DTing you a few times. Might ruin your faction with him and leave you unable to make a sleepers key, though.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Got my account back! :D

Anybody want to duo on 7th Hammer sometime? I have a twink ranger and 65 monk (obviously no understanding of how to play, given I haven't logged into the game in 11 years...) I'd love to start a bard so we can zip around super quickly and level in the old zones.

Anybody know if there's a way to enable the old item descriptions? The new ones are a gross mess and not very descriptive.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

jetz0r posted:

I was talking with someone about classic EQ's game design. And I started wondering, what parts of early EQ would still be considered good game design today?

I don't mean the classic era fetishization of poo poo like boats, no maps and medding for 10 minutes. Things that would/do stand up in a modern single or multiplayer game as solid ideas.

The EQ faction system is pretty commonplace in modern MMOs, with fancier UI attachments nowadays. The fact you could make any group hate/love you with enough effort (sometimes really, really obnoxious amounts of effort) was interesting, and has mostly been replaced with "different but the same" Horde/Alliance type splits.

The random lethality present in most places felt more dangerous than what you get nowadays, which is just strictly level-striated themepark areas and feels excessively safe. You need threats to feel heroic. Random nigh-invisible, speedily wandering randoom bullshit brownie npcs ganking your rear end for walking off the forest paths is obnoxious at times, but the potential of danger made the areas feel more alive. Why do actual dangers to civilization remain safely in their lanes without at least something like the planes' hand-wavy "alternate realm of existence that doesn't care about your poo poo" explanation? The planes were an example of intimidatingly dangerous content.

Random, awesome and potentially highly rewarding poo poo like Pizjin and the Ancient Cyclops. Unpredictable, creates weird legends and myths. Transparency and predictability are boring! Capture peoples' imagination and attention. Give them a reason to screw around in a given area they wouldn't otherwise gently caress with.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I still like the pre-Luclin concept of being able to attack any NPC, and almost all NPCs having a faction, even if pointless, such as the Trakanon faction or Fairy for example. Just makes sense. If the devs want a mob unkillable, just make it have a million HP and hit like a truck.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

erazure posted:

The EQ faction system is pretty commonplace in modern MMOs, with fancier UI attachments nowadays. The fact you could make any group hate/love you with enough effort (sometimes really, really obnoxious amounts of effort) was interesting, and has mostly been replaced with "different but the same" Horde/Alliance type splits.

The random lethality present in most places felt more dangerous than what you get nowadays, which is just strictly level-striated themepark areas and feels excessively safe. You need threats to feel heroic. Random nigh-invisible, speedily wandering randoom bullshit brownie npcs ganking your rear end for walking off the forest paths is obnoxious at times, but the potential of danger made the areas feel more alive. Why do actual dangers to civilization remain safely in their lanes without at least something like the planes' hand-wavy "alternate realm of existence that doesn't care about your poo poo" explanation? The planes were an example of intimidatingly dangerous content.

Random, awesome and potentially highly rewarding poo poo like Pizjin and the Ancient Cyclops. Unpredictable, creates weird legends and myths. Transparency and predictability are boring! Capture peoples' imagination and attention. Give them a reason to screw around in a given area they wouldn't otherwise gently caress with.

I agree on the 3rd paragraph but not the second. Making lethality random and death incredibly punitive just makes a game frustrating and makes people avoid taking chances. There is a reason that very few people "adventure" in real life; it is incredibly risky for potentially no tangible reward, and death is very much permanent. EQ did a great job of making things feel huge and epic, but it not only punished people for the slightest mistake, but for no mistake at all. Putting a level 35-40 hill giant that wanders in a zone full of level 10 characters? That is just being cruel. MMOs tend to be very little about skill and more about progression and time (sometimes money) investment, so nobody, no matter how talented, is going to take down a level 35 mob at level 15. If there is a zone full of powerful mobs, then someone at least can brave that area when they are too weak knowing the risk, but the hill giant in the Commonlands thing is just punitive. I would mind less if EQ had not always had such horrible death penalties (huge exp loss that was very hard to recuperate, not to mention potential de-leveling), but combining the two is sadism. If I had gotten squashed by Mungo the Hill giant while fighting kodiaks in WC at level 11 and just respawned back at my bind fully geared, I would have been annoyed. While I know that exp. penalties for death were less at low levels, losing exp and having to go back to where the giant might be to get my gear just makes me want to play something else. There is a reason that punitive games like EQ lost prestige, popularity and profitability - not many people like that. Even today when mercs can rez you and anyone can pay a bit to have a corpse summoned, losing exp still sucks and possibly losing a level is just being a dick.

I would like to see EQ encourage more actual player grouping to productive ends. My problem with EQ is that it was always about, when in groups, killing mass numbers of blue/light blue cons as fast as possible. Having a mob con below your level is supposed to mean that it is weaker, but that is never really the case in EQ in any practical way. I want to see it such that any class can solo weaker mobs, but the experience over time and loot will be less than while grouping, in every way. Someone who solos all the time should never have as good of loot as someone who does nothing but group, and a group of six characters should be fighting yellows and reds (stronger than you monsters), not the other way around, and getting more and better stuff for it. I have been doing heroic adventures with my now 96 enchanter on Test recently and, even though all of the mobs are red to me, the experience is poo poo and that is with the Test exp. bonus and potions. I get very good experience for finishing the tasks, which is why I do them, but all in all EQ has never been good about balancing risk and reward. Strength in numbers, and a group of 6 should always be able to do bigger things than one alone. It is essentially the raid principle, scaled down. Groups should be fighting yellows and low red cons and getting more powerful stuff for it, while the solo guy at the same level languishes somewhat gear-wise because he can't kill the more powerful mobs alone.

The faction thing has always been interesting, and I still think that EQs old world has so very much character compared to other games. I recall camping the Ghoul Lord's Scalp for my dark elf SK a few years ago down in Lower Guk. The Scalp is a hat that "evil" characters can wear to get better faction reactions from good NPCs. Very important in early EQ, not so much anymore, I just can't remember why my DE needed the faction. Mind you, sneaking him into Felwithe to kill the guy all the way in the back of the city who drops the Ghoulbane is still one of my favourite EQ memories.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
HA tasks had their xp specifically removed from the mobs and all stacked onto the task completion on purpose. Static zone mobs give far, far more xp per kill than HA mobs do. Not like it matters either way though, since xp is so goddamn fast these days that you can make a new character and have it maxed out in a couple weeks (or days if you have a PL class already).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree on the 3rd paragraph but not the second. Making lethality random and death incredibly punitive just makes a game frustrating and makes people avoid taking chances.

I feel completely the opposite, and I think that the Commonlands named Griffin, or the Sand Giants in Oasis made for some of the stronger memories for low level / casual players in Vanilla EQ. It's not like you really had a choice for early leveling back then, and the occasional "SPECTRES TO THE DOCKS" while everyoned bailed over the rock to avoid them made things interesting.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sterile worlds suck, sand giants own.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I gotta agree, having a friend fall down the befallen well & spending the next hour trying to help him get his corpse back is a memory I will never forget.

Without risk there is no sense of reward.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I could use some advice on poison making, got it to 275 with my trophy bringing it to 296 but cant find any easy path to maxing it. checked eqtraders forwards and backwards for recipes and cant see a vendorable one, I dont care if it even has a bunch of subcombines as long as its from a vendor.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I can't log on to check and it's been several years but the last vendor-only Make Poison recipe I can remember is Spirit of Sloth, which appears to trivial at 275. You may be able to find a ton of the components for the X-XVIII ranked poisons which all trivial at 450+ (see this list) on random vendors depending on your server, or maybe in the Bazaar if people bother selling them these days. They all use one-ish random zone drop poison piece + vendor components.

Make Poison was historically a rather big pain in the rear end/money sink but I guess a few expansions back they made poisons have more than 1 proc which is cool.

e: I realize this doesn't really help considering you want vendor recipes but the sheer volume of the poison components that drop in whichever zones might lead to enough being found on vendors. :ohdear:

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm messing around in EQ again atm and I was thinking of paying 1000sc for another merc slot but how long do you have to wait between switching one for another?

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Thanks for the info Suuma.

To answer my own question tho http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_item.php?item=6978&menustr=035000000000 trivials at 322

All the mats are vendor buyable eqtraders just isnt very up to date. Phosphorous Powder and Tainted Planar Essence can be bought from Toxicologist in PoK

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Rapacity posted:

I'm messing around in EQ again atm and I was thinking of paying 1000sc for another merc slot but how long do you have to wait between switching one for another?

You can't switch while in combat, and if your merc dies you have to wait 5 minutes to switch.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

darkhand posted:

You can't switch while in combat, and if your merc dies you have to wait 5 minutes to switch.

Ah, thanks. It's still 5 minutes just to swap between 2 live mercs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I think if you're out of combat you get an instant swap, with a 5m cool down afterwards before you can swap again.