Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol im not paying for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Granbar posted:

if u love ur brother, get him an ipad.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

lol im not paying for poo poo

lol kiwi. Seriously though possum merino is the warmest non synthetic I have ever worn. Rest of the world doesn't know what it is missing out on. Sad I lost 50 pounds and it no longer fits at all.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

chneers i went out of my way to avoid shsc and you bring it in here like an eager dog with a dead bird on your new white carpet

echinopsis posted:

nah im joking i love you i should read those things

t:mad:t

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hey thread what's the best ereader

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Forums Terrorist posted:

adobe reader xi

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

kindle, if you're only ever going to read prose

ipad air 2 otherwise

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Forums Terrorist posted:

kindle paperwhite is p. excellent

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
how does the kindle handle books like house of leaves or anything with even slightly nonstandard typography

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

how does the kindle handle books like house of leaves or anything with even slightly nonstandard typography
depends on the publisher

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

depends on the publisher
some short story in a collection nmn recommended had weird tyopgraphy and kindle.ipa just rendered images of the pages

probably the least worst option

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Forums Terrorist posted:

kindle paperwhite

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kobo glow is almost same resolution as paperwhite but : you CAN turn the light off all the way, and there is little in the way of restrictions

ie sideloading is a trivial non issue. copy epub file to kobo as mass storage... book works
same with adding fonts

biggest downside is that the out-of-book (ie choosing a book) experience is sub par, broiwsing your device for a book is lovely. if u know what youre looking for its fine though

pleased with my kobo glo. worth a serious consdieration over paperwhite unless you love giving amazon money

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
kindle voyage owns

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kobo more like hobo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kobo is like the android of ereaders but kindle is the kindle fire of ereaders. there is no apple of e-ink readers so.. kobo has good resolution and nice backlight like kindle paper white but more flexibility and less restrictions

only thing is I wish te colour of the backlight was slightly warmer but u get over that soon enough

a replacement OS would make it perfect

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

kindle voyage owns

is this the paperwhite v3 or something

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

its a portable kindle you can take on a voyage

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

my stepdads beer posted:

since amazon got rid of the "kindle touch" and made the plain "kindle" touch based, the paperwhite moved down to being the new midtier and the voyage is the new high tier.

currently you have "kindle" which is touchscreen based, no light, and i think still 800x600
the kindle paperwhite is of course touchscreen based, has light, and is about 1024x758
the kindle voyage is touchscreen+new side bezel buttons,has light, and is a 1448x1072 display which looks sweet as hell especially for pdfs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
best course of action to wait for kobo equivalent I guess

still don't get why u can't turn light off on paper white "eh people wil" = reducing freedom :911:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Is there some known bullshit going on with ATT's uverse core routing? my first hop keeps getting handed off between maybe one of ten different IPs and at any given moment at least one of them is performing like dogshit with a 500ms latency, then a see a few packets dropped and my route changes and things are better again for 10 minutes and it happens all over. I'm seeing very few corrected frames on the dsl gateway page so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on the line itself but something further on the backhaul. it's like they've overloaded their network and each router gets saturated until something adjusts to compensate but it makes anything jitter sensitive suck in the process

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

can i just say in this thread that richard stallman was completely wrong about offering support for free products

support should be free, and be considered part of on boarding. however, it totally helps if the app has a free-tier.

if you start using an app and you have no idea how to use it and there's no support, you stop using it.

if you start using it and you have no idea how to use it and a kind man or woman walks you through it and it owns, now you're a customer for life.

i say this after using stuff like Codeship or whatever other number of cloud deployment stuff i've had the bizarre pleasure of using where you just type a question in a chat and someone chat you back the answer right on your computer screen

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

DNova posted:

its a portable kindle you can take on a voyage

coolio's personal kindle

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

since amazon got rid of the "kindle touch" and made the plain "kindle" touch based, the paperwhite moved down to being the new midtier and the voyage is the new high tier.

currently you have "kindle" which is touchscreen based, no light, and i think still 800x600
the kindle paperwhite is of course touchscreen based, has light, and is about 1024x758
the kindle voyage is touchscreen+new side bezel buttons,has light, and is a 1448x1072 display which looks sweet as hell especially for pdfs

if i'm going to spend 200 of your earth dollars on an ereader, esp. for pdfs, i may as well sack up and get an ipad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that's the conclusion I come to every time

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

if i'm going to spend 200 of your earth dollars on an ereader, esp. for pdfs, i may as well sack up and get an ipad

yeah i have an old second gen kindle i got used and also the newest and best tablet, the iPad Air 2

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

check out this hilarious thing that happened to me and then help me.

work gave me a surface pro and I never use it because I have an ipad. So anyway I set up a child account on the surface pro so my kid can use the painting app on it. I did something so that it auto logs in as him (child account) and the child account can only open the painting app.

So obviously the problem now is how do I log out of his account and log in as myself. since it's a restricted child account it can't do anything such as task manager or get to the "charms" or hit ctrl+alt+del.

I'm gonna just reinstall from recovery usb if there's no extremely easy way to fix this.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
log out

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

How?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

work gave me a surface pro and I never use it because I have an ipad. So anyway I set up a child account on the surface pro so my kid can use the painting app on it. I did something so that it auto logs in as him (child account) and the child account can only open the painting app.

So obviously the problem now is how do I log out of his account and log in as myself. since it's a restricted child account it can't do anything such as task manager or get to the "charms" or hit ctrl+alt+del.

I'm gonna just reinstall from recovery usb if there's no extremely easy way to fix this.

If you can see the start screen, just click on the little person in the upper right hand corner. If you can't, dunno.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If you can see the start screen,

cannot!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I should have given myself a child account

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

hard reboot so you get the login screen when it fires back up?

edit oh i missed the part where you made it auto log in, lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

can you reboot then tap F8 to get to safe mode or something?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

can you reboot then tap F8 to get to safe mode or something?

let me try that idk if surface has that as an option

edit: surface pro doesn't have F keys on its stupid keyboard

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

It logs in and auto starts the paint app? You can't even hit the windows key to go back to the win 8 start menu (screen)?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It logs in and auto starts the paint app? You can't even hit the windows key to go back to the win 8 start menu (screen)?

that is correct

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Don't you get a free MS support call or two? I'd love to know their answer.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm going to boot a windows vm and see if I can connect to the surface through computer mgmt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
pls share results because this is hilarious