Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shachi posted:

Good lord does nekros get any better. Cool frame in theory...

I built him because people are always asking for him to farm. Figured it would be a decent money maker.

You mean you don't enjoy standing around pressing 3 in an out of the way spot while you eat a sandwich and watch some TV on the side?

I will be the first to admit that grind-y, repetitive things are very relaxing and enjoyable for me so I like Nekros a ton in the role everyone wants him to take (Desecrate bot), but since the changes to his terrify and soul punch I imagine you could come up with some really fun builds for him.

If you're on PS4 or something though I don't know if you guys have those changes yet, I don't keep up with that news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
30 minutes left on a Vauban chassis for anyone reading now.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Vauban helmet was last night :D

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Shachi posted:

I built him because people are always asking for him to farm. Figured it would be a decent money maker.
With Natural Talent for high speed handwaving, I often entertained myself by bringing along a murderstick and seeing how many kills I could get in between Desecrates. (Quite a lot, it turned out)

Or, you know...

Denzine posted:

if I have to run nekros I will be entertained.
Get your teammates killed as often as possible so you can demonstrate your long range revive augment.
Or crank up your shadow count and make customized armies.
Which may or may not just be computer-crippling dog swarms.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What's that, Denzine and lag generation in the same post?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Shachi posted:

Despoil+Equilibrium(+Soul Survivor) work together in a way that looks fun. Terrify is kinda neat. Shadows are cool.
There's a fun build in there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Shachi posted:

hahahaha no he doesn't, sorry. Even with the changes and the buffs to his shadows terrify is worthless and shadows are loving garbage.

edit: Soul Survivor would be nice if it didn't make you stop desecrating because it wipes out all your energy for no reason at all.
edit2: they need to remove desecrate. need to.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 27, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just y'all wait until the inevitable Nekros Prime :unsmigghh:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Just y'all wait until the inevitable Nekros Prime :unsmigghh:

A golden turd is still a turd :smug:

Speaking of a golden turd, anyone wanna trade for their astral twilight stance?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 27, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I main Nekros. No, the possibilities with Despoil and Equilibrium really don't do much. You still need to use Fleeting Expertise anyway to reduce the health cost so you don't die after desecrating 10 times in a row. It's ok for working with gimmick builds trying to actually use Soul Punch or something resembling damage (I use it to knockdown problem targets quickly) because you'll have more energy in theory but nobody with a Fleeting Expertise ever had a problem with energy on Nekros.

Desecrate should become a toggled range limited aura permitting movement to stay inline with DE's choice to keep it (they were debating getting rid of it). I suspect they realized almost nobody plays Nekros for any reason other than to farm or to troll people with an excessive number of shadows blocking your shots. Other than the Eximus auras, we don't have a fully customizable moving aura mechanic around so this will likely take a while to get to. But they could add them as PVP augments and it'd make those players super dangerous (Frost with moving snow globe.. yeah).

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Oh and before I forget, that screenshot Meckell posted took 2 full interception rounds to set up.

shadows are garbage.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

necrobobsledder posted:

I main Nekros. No, the possibilities with Despoil and Equilibrium really don't do much. You still need to use Fleeting Expertise anyway to reduce the health cost so you don't die after desecrating 10 times in a row. It's ok for working with gimmick builds trying to actually use Soul Punch or something resembling damage (I use it to knockdown problem targets quickly) because you'll have more energy in theory but nobody with a Fleeting Expertise ever had a problem with energy on Nekros.

Desecrate should become a toggled range limited aura permitting movement to stay inline with DE's choice to keep it (they were debating getting rid of it). I suspect they realized almost nobody plays Nekros for any reason other than to farm or to troll people with an excessive number of shadows blocking your shots. Other than the Eximus auras, we don't have a fully customizable moving aura mechanic around so this will likely take a while to get to. But they could add them as PVP augments and it'd make those players super dangerous (Frost with moving snow globe.. yeah).

I played him some more last night and got him up to 20. Honestly, descrate is really underwhelming in terms of what it does and I don't see much use for it. It does help out the team on tower survivals but towards the 30 minute mark he's super hard to keep alive, though I didn't have too much trouble, I wasn't being very helpful anymore.

I really enjoy his speed and the fact he's got a glass jaw makes me have to ninja about a lot more. I kind of like playing him, and soul punch is oddly satisfying especially as filler for reloads. He really is kind of growing on me just for the sake that I've been playing Rhino for a little while now, so compared to him, Nekros moves at the speed of light. Playing as a fat guy blindly running into stuff and murdering things with reckless abandon was getting old so it's been kind of fun to have to be smart about what I'm doing. Maybe I should just play another frame that is the same way but actually useful.

Care to elaborate on why you main Nekros and what you like about him? More on the build you use perhaps. I just kind of like him. My bigger issue is I really don't have any high tier weapons. I've got a paris prime cooking atm and a Quanta on the way when I get the feldron. That should make life more easier on almost any frame I'm thinking.

Next up I think I might take a crack at a Valkyr or something. Zephyr? I miss being a melee death machine on Volt. I was gonna build an Ash but I think I've had my fill of being a mildly useless frame. Ash just seems like a lot of fun but I need to get myself a higher tier melee weapon. Hows the nikana?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Shachi posted:

Honestly, descrate is really underwhelming in terms of what it does and I don't see much use for it. It does help out the team on tower survivals but towards the 30 minute mark he's super hard to keep alive, though I didn't have too much trouble, I wasn't being very helpful anymore.

If you're grinding for a specific mod drop, Desecrate very nearly halves the time you need to grind. If you're grinding for crafting materials, Desecrate is a 90% boost in the amount of materials you get. And it does both of those things at the same time. There's a few edge cases where it doesn't work(boilers, broodmothers, ospreys and bosses), but for 99% of the game Desecrate halves the amount of time you need to spend doing tedious bullshit.

And whoever's not running Nekros still gets the benefit. So you can just trade off when you're tired of mashing 3. In theory

If you have Nekros, suddenly no one else will ever have one. :iiam:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Shachi posted:

Next up I think I might take a crack at a Valkyr or something. Zephyr? I miss being a melee death machine on Volt. I was gonna build an Ash but I think I've had my fill of being a mildly useless frame. Ash just seems like a lot of fun but I need to get myself a higher tier melee weapon. Hows the nikana?

Nikana's ok I guess, but you mostly get it for the Dragon Nikana a few ranks later, which is one of the best melee weapons in the game. It even copters ok.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

aegof posted:

Nikana's ok I guess, but you mostly get it for the Dragon Nikana a few ranks later, which is one of the best melee weapons in the game. It even copters ok.

It's worth noting that, while really cool, the Blind Justice stance kills the Nikana's copter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Doesn't the Nikana have a lovely default copter anyways?

(And Blind Justice's copter can hit air targets which is cool)

trephine
Sep 29, 2001

Get off my bed
Wexia, I (trehp) have that Loki chassis for you. I'd PM but I don't know your forums username. I'll be around today for a few hours.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

trephine posted:

Wexia, I (trehp) have that Loki chassis for you. I'd PM but I don't know your forums username. I'll be around today for a few hours.

Thanks trehp, I gotta run to work but I'll be back around later this afternoon if you're still in.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

quote:

ATTENTION PC TENNO!

Tactical Alert Escalation Incoming

Back by popular demand, Tenno who enjoyed Phoenix Intercept but were looking for a greater challenge can now enjoy the Escalation of this Tactical Alert. Although this new mode was created in response to community feedback, we'll be happy to make modes like these an actual feature if everyone would like to see these featured in future Tactical Alerts.

This mode will have a much greater level of difficulty than the regular version of Phoenix Intercept and will be on from now until Tuesday March 3 at 12:00pm EST. Complete Phoenix Intercept Escalation to earn a Rift Sigil, which uses your Warframe's energy color and responds to how much energy you currently have in-Mission.

Ready your weapons and good luck, Tenno!

I'm told it's Conclave 400 and level 100-150 enemies what the gently caress. :suicide:

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
That's basically going double down on the whole super pigeonhole issue that the mod system had turned this game into. Not exactly a good precedent... so I guess with this you can afford to bring your single most bullshit cheese frame build, stripped down to the minimum, and absolutely nothing else.

I'm guessing you could go with two efficiency Mesas, an augment Ember, and efficiency/duration Limbo? Assuming you're using virtually no other mods and are carrying a single level 0 weapon, no sentinel.

Maybe a Nyx in there too, but it's hard to mod for Chaos and Absorb at the same time

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Kyte posted:

I'm told it's Conclave 400 and level 100-150 enemies what the gently caress. :suicide:

Ohh, finally an end game...

...sigil.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
On Nekros chat:

I ran out of neural sensors yesterday and I was dreading farming Alad V over and over to get more. I always like survival missions against infested, so I decided to try out Jupiter's dark sector mission. I brought a Nekros (tricked out for maximum power range) and a Kohm. The only ability I used was Desecrate, which I tried to use constantly. We extracted at 30 minutes -- I ended up doing close to 40% of the damage (thanks Kohm) and we got 6 neural sensors -- not to mention a ton of drops.

So I guess that's an alternative to Alad V right there.

On melee chat:

I was able to get a Jaw Sword in a previous alert, so when I ranked up with Arbiters of Hexis yesterday I choose the Jaw Sword mod. I broke down and bought the Crimson Dervish stance mod for 20 p from a trader. If you build Jaw Sword for base damage it completely wrecks stuff, especially when stealthed. The high base damage of the Jaw Sword multiplied by the mod plus the crazy damage multipliers from the stance and stealth are awesome. Also, you proc the Syndicate weapon effect, and that owns. I think I was normal hitting stuff on the first swing or two for 27k -- and that's life steal and range taking up mod slots.

This got me looking into other melee weapons in the same vein, and a tricked out Mire (BP is simply purchased from the Market) looks really good, possibly superior to a tricked out Jaw Sword on paper -- making it arguably one of the best melees in the game. I hope to test that out later this week.

Edit on tactical alert:

Probably the best thing to do is bring 4 Lokis and/or Ashes and perma stealth the entire thing. Anyone down for this around 1 PM PST?

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 27, 2015

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

MJ12 posted:

Doesn't that basically turn the Viper or Twin Viper into a really ammo-inefficient super shotgun? It already burns through its magazine in less than 1 second.

Adding Anemic Agility, Lethal Torrent, and Gunslinger onto a Viper for a total of +(90 + 60 + 72 = 222) fire rate means its 14.4 fire rate becomes 46.4, which means you can burn a mag in 0.3 seconds. With max multishot, that's 39.2 bullets ejected in the same time.

It's absurd and also kind of a great idea. Going to try this sometime.

I think my modded-up Wraith Twin Vipers are roughly equivalent to an Angstrum.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dahbadu posted:

On Nekros chat:

I ran out of neural sensors yesterday and I was dreading farming Alad V over and over to get more. I always like survival missions against infested, so I decided to try out Jupiter's dark sector mission. I brought a Nekros (tricked out for maximum power range) and a Kohm. The only ability I used was Desecrate, which I tried to use constantly. We extracted at 30 minutes -- I ended up doing close to 40% of the damage (thanks Kohm) and we got 6 neural sensors -- not to mention a ton of drops.

Edit on tactical alert:

Probably the best thing to do is bring 4 Lokis and/or Ashes and perma stealth the entire thing. Anyone down for this around 1 PM PST?

30 min will get you 3-6 NS without a nekros anyways, unless the RNG really really hates you. 20 min or 20-wave DSD there usually has you walk out with 2-4.

And for the alert, either permastealth or max disarm should do the trick easily.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Kyte posted:

Oh, it's worse than it sounds. Enemies will reliably one-shot you through survivability mods. Bring a disarm Loki.

And the reward?

I set the color to orange for maximum visibility. The lines pulsate around and little "holes" (the actual orange bits) open up and close.

Officer CockKnuckle
Feb 18, 2007
<---Bunionz. Yeah pretty not worth it for the reward, was worth it for the challenge I guess

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Denzine posted:

If you're grinding for a specific mod drop, Desecrate very nearly halves the time you need to grind. If you're grinding for crafting materials, Desecrate is a 90% boost in the amount of materials you get. And it does both of those things at the same time. There's a few edge cases where it doesn't work(boilers, broodmothers, ospreys and bosses), but for 99% of the game Desecrate halves the amount of time you need to spend doing tedious bullshit.

And whoever's not running Nekros still gets the benefit. So you can just trade off when you're tired of mashing 3. In theory

If you have Nekros, suddenly no one else will ever have one. :iiam:

The 'right' (at least better) way to fix Nekros is pretty obviously to do what they're now doing for Hydroid. Replace desecrate with a new, useful ability and then have an augment that packs the old desecrate mechanic onto it. Bam, you have a warm frame that isn't relegated to being farmlord exclusively, but you can sacrifice a mod slot to do something different.

It wouldn't fix the 'tired of mashing 3' part.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Kyte posted:

I'm told it's Conclave 400 and level 100-150 enemies what the gently caress.

D

Motherfuckin'

E.

Also who the hell is enjoying this bullshit? The first tier was enough of a slog.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's much easier than it sounds, just go dracosquad(2 excal 1 trin) and add a decently modded loki to steal everyones guns.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
WHat a badly balanced unfun poo poo mission this event is. How about some new tiles instead ? Or fixing matchmaking, often at alerts with 200 squads the game cannot find a group for me ><.

PS. I never enjoyed big blades so i never played one beyond 30 and one swing on my scindo does less then 1 percent dmg to most mobs as invis loki :stare:

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 27, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sighence posted:

D

Motherfuckin'

E.

Also who the hell is enjoying this bullshit? The first tier was enough of a slog.

Well apparently it was due to ~popular demand~ so somebody likes it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fayk posted:

The 'right' (at least better) way to fix Nekros is pretty obviously to do what they're now doing for Hydroid. Replace desecrate with a new, useful ability and then have an augment that packs the old desecrate mechanic onto it. Bam, you have a warm frame that isn't relegated to being farmlord exclusively, but you can sacrifice a mod slot to do something different.

It wouldn't fix the 'tired of mashing 3' part.

Even better is to remove the old desecrate mechanic entirely and increase drop rates if they're too low. Otherwise you're just punishing people for not bringing the grindframe, and the game works best when it's encouraging maximum diversity and experimentation.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Am I the only one who didn't have trouble with this event? I was able to solo the second round of it using a disarm+stealth Loki with the "disarm also causes Radiation proc" augment mod.

Doesn't mean I enjoyed it, but I was able to do it without pulling out my hair.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Some guy has a video of him soloing the Tactical Alert as an Oberon.

But yeah, I figure a mosh pit Loki with the usual Draco setup would serve as sufficient crowd control (always necessary when you just can't kill fast enough or things one-shot you). Or... there's the Limbo option of letting your powers do the work while you're invulnerable. Trin, Exc x 2, Loki or Limbo or Nyx should be sufficient I imagine.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Denzine posted:

edit: Soul Survivor would be nice if it didn't make you stop desecrating because it wipes out all your energy for no reason at all.

I've never actually run into a situation where I've needed to use soul survivor and haven't had spare energy orbs lying around. Between that augment, desecrate, and the change to soul punch (free aim, can use it while reloading), Nekros brings a lot of utility to a team. I'd still prefer if they just buffed drop rates(especially life-support pods) and completely reworked him though.

WTF DE posted:

More draco forever. :suicide:

:psyduck:

EroticBlacksmith fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 27, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

EroticBlacksmith posted:

I've never actually run into a situation where I've needed to use soul survivor and haven't had spare energy orbs lying around. Between that augment, desecrate, and the change to soul punch (free aim, can use it while reloading), Nekros brings a lot of utility to a team. I'd still prefer if they just buffed drop rates(especially life-support pods) and completely reworked him though.

yes see the problem is that when you use Soul Survivor you have to go collect energy orbs to start desecrating again, and Nekros is only any good when he's handing out double drops.

stealthedit: The "escalation" thing is trivial with the right composition and redtext is a giant manchild.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Male Man posted:

Oh, it's worse than it sounds. Enemies will reliably one-shot you through survivability mods. Bring a disarm Loki.

And the reward?

I set the color to orange for maximum visibility. The lines pulsate around and little "holes" (the actual orange bits) open up and close.

The sigil gets brighter the more energy you have.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cryophage posted:

The sigil gets brighter the more energy you have.

Cryo you punk. Didn't even stick around to take pictures with us :argh:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
So dumb.

We did Banshee, Trinity, Nova, Loki. Just left the dudes in their spawn room until the end of each round.

A parallel team switched Trin for Limbo, same principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Naturally Selected posted:

Cryo you punk. Didn't even stick around to take pictures with us :argh:

Way to ruin our group shot Cryo!