Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Man, I read that as bacalhao nachos

would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

I've had them in spain but then again that entire country has a thing for horrifically bastardizing any food not from western europe and often even within it. mexican food in spain is a war crime

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Got a new stock pot.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

wheez the roux posted:

I've had them in spain but then again that entire country has a thing for horrifically bastardizing any food not from western europe and often even within it. mexican food in spain is a war crime

Mexican food anywhere outside of the Americas tends to be a war crime.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

tarbrush posted:

Mexican food anywhere outside of the Americas Mexico tends to be a war crime.

There's some exceptions like California and such but old el paso style "tacos" are more common than you think

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Bob_McBob posted:

Got a new stock pot.

What kind of range is that?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

There's some exceptions like California and such but old el paso style "tacos" are more common than you think

I've had great Mexican/South American food of varying regional styles across California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. I'm still firmly on the burrito side of the taco debate, so I prefer CA (where they were invented!) but man, Texas loving loves tacos.

Worst "Mexican" food I ever ate? Scotland. Close second is Vancouver BC or Providence RI.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I've had great Mexican/South American food of varying regional styles across California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. I'm still firmly on the burrito side of the taco debate, so I prefer CA (where they were invented!) but man, Texas loving loves tacos.

Worst "Mexican" food I ever ate? Scotland. Close second is Vancouver BC or Providence RI.

I was being a bit hyperbolic for sure, but it consistently baffles me how bad the Mexican food is in a lot of places.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I sort of break Mexican food into two categories first, there is "Mexican food", second there is "cheese bomb", which is what I like to call the weird version of Tex-Mex that seems most prevalent where I live. Not to say that I don't love me a good cheese bomb burrito, but still it gets tiring after a while. Sadly even most of the actual Mexican food places around here are generally owned and run by Salvadorans doing their take on Mexican food. The fat tortillas always give them away.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When I was living in Hong Kong the white whale of expats was a proper mexican place. Whenever news of a new place opened anywhere on the island everyone would flock to it regardless of distance, but in the end we were always disappointed. You could find places selling margaritas that had menus that were vaguely texmex, but you'd pay a significant sum.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Does anyone have tips for flash-frying fish? I saw a good looking image of some flash fried porgies, but I couldn't find a recipe to match.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Have any of you seen this awesome youtube channel where a 91 year old woman cooks stuff that her family ate during the depression and talks about how poor she was?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Paper With Lines posted:

Have any of you seen this awesome youtube channel where a 91 year old woman cooks stuff that her family ate during the depression and talks about how poor she was?

She reminds me of my Grandma. Watching her cut the potatoes and onion with what looks like a lot of effort, in her hands and towards herself is making me itchy though. If it were me I would have sliced off my thumb three times already.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

CzarChasm posted:

She reminds me of my Grandma. Watching her cut the potatoes and onion with what looks like a lot of effort, in her hands and towards herself is making me itchy though. If it were me I would have sliced off my thumb three times already.

She's just paring though, so she's probably not going to slice her hand open. Those are some dull as gently caress knives though.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
How the hell do you end up with more money than you started with after a night of drinking?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Happy Hat posted:

How the hell do you end up with more money than you started with after a night of drinking?

With a lot of rear end pain

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

With a lot of rear end pain

I was going to formulate a funny response but there's no way I can top that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Happy Hat posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mmuIVwq3aeY

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Holy poo poo...

Actually I have a true story about rear end pain...

Anyhow - didn't black out, just ended up with money that came from nowhere?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Vancouver. Home of the "authentic steamed burrito." I think that says it all.

There's a lot of great food in Vancouver. Most of it Japanese, or fusion Japanese.

There is no reason to have a burrito in Vancouver. If you are desperate, there's always Chipotle.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Holy poo poo...

Actually I have a true story about rear end pain...

Anyhow - didn't black out, just ended up with money that came from nowhere?

I either really want to go drinking with you or I really don't. I'm going to have to consider this.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Does anyone want to take over N/ICSA duties from me? I'm a little burnt out, haven't been doing a good job, and it's time to pass the torch.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Dane posted:

I either really want to go drinking with you or I really don't. I'm going to have to consider this.

I don't think I would. I'd end up bankrupt. :heysexy:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Does anyone want to take over N/ICSA duties from me? I'm a little burnt out, haven't been doing a good job, and it's time to pass the torch.

hey wrought

hey

lean in

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So I've kind of had a hankerin` for shake `n bake, and I'm thinking of doing it for Sunday supper. Not the actual Kraft mix from the store, but an analog that would be home made. So I know the basic idea of it is seasoned flour and/or cracker meal combined with fat which coats the meat pieces evenly, and then bake. So I'm wondering how to improve this process. Improve the crispiness, improve moisture retention in the meat, improve the basic flavor of the seasoning mix, etc. I want to see if we can do a better job on the old Brady Bunch staple. So far I'm pretty good on spices - basic blend will be msg, pepper, paprika, celery seed, thyme, garlic, and onion to give a very "old fashioned" flavor, though of course there's no reason to not go for other flavors as well. Anybody have thoughts on this or other aspects?

Improving 20th Century American Cuisine ITT.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I've kind of had a hankerin` for shake `n bake, and I'm thinking of doing it for Sunday supper. Not the actual Kraft mix from the store, but an analog that would be home made. So I know the basic idea of it is seasoned flour and/or cracker meal combined with fat which coats the meat pieces evenly, and then bake. So I'm wondering how to improve this process. Improve the crispiness, improve moisture retention in the meat, improve the basic flavor of the seasoning mix, etc. I want to see if we can do a better job on the old Brady Bunch staple. So far I'm pretty good on spices - basic blend will be msg, pepper, paprika, celery seed, thyme, garlic, and onion to give a very "old fashioned" flavor, though of course there's no reason to not go for other flavors as well. Anybody have thoughts on this or other aspects?

Everything had parsley.
I use panko for crispiness when I do that sort of thing, but the color and texture would not right for shake and bake. Maybe panko + ritz-style crackers or even cheese-its.

Edit: when my wife makes this style dish she puts mayonnaise on the meat first and it turns out pretty OK. Probably a better version of that would be a wash layer of egg, water, oil, and mustard.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 27, 2015

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My mother used to make this for us all the time. She'd usually use old bread either left out on the counter to dry or in a warm oven to dry. Then she'd add butter to the breadcrumbs I think. I can't remember how she kept the breadcrumbs on the chicken though. So my suggestion is that you could use old breadcrumbs instead of crackers/flour. However I'm not sure if that would make things any crispier.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My mom always coated chicken with just little bit of sour cream with an egg yolk mixed in, then rolled it around in crushed potato chips and crackers. It's a loving miracle I don't have diabetes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Okay, so we're at some sort of fatty/dairy wash on the meat before coating. That makes sense.

Using crushed up chips or crackers or something else like that increases the fat content of the crumb layer, which probably helps with crispiness and unctuousness.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would just do an egg wash, then flour, followed by an awesome panko, paprika, thyme, black pepper, garlic/onion powder, salt/msg/whatever mix, then fry it twice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bake that poo poo on a rack or turn it midway or something. My wife does something like this and the bottoms are always soggy.

Also, thighs and legs only.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've never had shake and bake. Is it something worth experiencing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've never had shake and bake. Is it something worth experiencing?

Not from a box it isn't. I think we're just talking abut oven baked chicken here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It has a certain nostalgia. But yeah I'm basically trying to do an oven fried chicken that doesn't get soggy .

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
We used crushed saltines. Dredge in flour, beaten egg, and then press in saltines that have some melted butter or oil mixed in, then bake on a wire rack. It's pretty good on pork chops. "Fancy" was mixing in granulated garlic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

you guys have me thinking about rolling some chicken legs in egg and cornmeal

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Is there any reason I would do this as opposed to just frying some chikn?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GrAviTy84 posted:

To use the oven instead of loving around with oil. I hate doing home deep frying.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It has a certain nostalgia.

Sort of like Stove Top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

^^^^^
Kind of, yeah. There's a lot of that "kind of instant, but still had to be cooked" food that lots of people ate back in the 20th century (do people still eat it? I don't even know) that reminds one of growing up. Tied in with always seeing the commercials on TV, it makes for strong cultural memories.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's just something a bit different, and it's also efficient since I'll already be using the oven for cornbread. It's not like this is something that replaces fried chicken - in no way does it do that. It's more its own thing.