Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
Pitching in on the no-texting, no-cellphone sentiment. Last night on our way home from my dad's house, we watched a sure enough sign of an idiot texting .. weaving back and forth on the freeway. Thankfully he was too distracted to keep track of freeway speeds and he was going a good 15 under the normal flow of traffic, so we got past him before he crunched into the side rail along I-94 just north of Minneapolis. A girl behind him wasn't so lucky; when his car ricocheted off the rail, she couldn't avoid him and got tangled up in his mess.

Thankfully the police take accidents seriously in cold WX here .. we were out of there (we stopped as witnesses) in 45 minutes.

I am not really for all-encompassing laws, I just wish there was enough enforcement on the roads to stop the assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

M42 posted:

Same. I've put together some winter gear I got cheap on closeout in the last month, but I'm still missing boots and gloves, so.... not this winter, I guess :(

Even with winter gear, snow all over + less than 20 deg F, it won't make a difference. It's tauntaun or go home.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've ridden at 45 and been freezing, then worn less gear riding on the ice at 30 and lower and been warm. The real trick is ride hard enough you start to sweat :shepface:

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Saw a guy cruising around on a Katana yesterday. Nice red one, late model, had all of his gear on because...

it was 18F with around a foot of snow and ice patches everywhere, in northern Illinois.

Which one of you was it?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Riding on icy roads just means you're riding straight.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Ok, this rant is directed at Rainbow Powersports in Enid, Oklahoma.

You are the only OEM dealer within an hour, so I am forced to occasionally use your lovely dealership.

1. You have salespeople who guard the doorway and aggressively annoy every customer who comes in. When I am going to the Parts department, you follow me all the way there trying to talk me into a new sports bike. You tell me how easy it pops wheelies, and how sick the new model is (despite it being the same as the '13 and '14, WRT to the 636 ZX-6R) When I was forced to go yesterday, I followed a customer in who said "I'm just here to look." Your response of "Oh well I'm just here to sell" makes you look like greedy fucks.

2. Your parts department: I'm sorry I annoyed you by asking for a part. You had 1 of the 2 things I needed in stock. The worst part is how EVERYTHING is for sale at MSRP, or above. Copper crush washers were almost $6 each. You had zero interest in actually giving any tips/tricks for the parts I was buying... you acted like you wanted to get the transaction over with as fast as possible so you could go back to your phone.

3. Your service department sucks. Your tires are overpriced, and while I know you can't compete online, charging $50 per wheel OFF THE BIKE to mount and balance is ridiculous. $75 if it's on the bike! Your inability to come across competently on general questions or build a rapport means I'm never taking my motorcycle there even when it needs maintenance.

I ordered my other parts online (even if it wasn't any savings) because your dealership sucks so much. I've lived here for two years and I dread going in there every time.

In conclusion, get hosed and I hope you go out of business.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So you're not a Rainbro then?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

NO

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The small Yamaha dealer a couple blocks up the road from me just sold me a battery for at least $50 less than every place I looked online and were pretty helpful. Had just found the place a couple weeks back, and it's a lot nicer than having to drive all the way across town to the other big Japanese bike dealership for parts and maintenance items, though their gear selection is a lot smaller.

Sorry to hear of your troubles xaarman. :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know if you're forced to go there just because it's within an hour. Find out what you can buy auto parts stores instead. I get all my oil change stuff except for a quart of Harley fluid at Autozone. For the Harley fluid, I get to be a dick to the dick at the Harley parts desk twice a year, it's pretty nice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

xaarman posted:

3. Your service department sucks. Your tires are overpriced, and while I know you can't compete online, charging $50 per wheel OFF THE BIKE to mount and balance is ridiculous. $75 if it's on the bike! Your inability to come across competently on general questions or build a report means I'm never taking my motorcycle there even when it needs maintenance.

Okay holy loving poo poo that's ridiculous. That's almost what I pay for an hour's labour at the place I go (and tyre replacement is free, ride in and ride out, if you buy the tyres from them, for about £10-£15 more than you pay for the tyres alone online).

(I've pimped them here before but if you're anywhere near Central or East London go to Pole Position on The Highway; quarter-hour labour charges and they not only give you the old parts they took off (generally a good indicator of a reliable garage IMO) they even take pictures of the work in progress to show you where the money goes. Awesome guys.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xaarman posted:

Ok, this rant is directed at Rainbow Powersports in Enid, Oklahoma.

You are the only OEM dealer within an hour, so I am forced to occasionally use your lovely dealership.

1. You have salespeople who guard the doorway and aggressively annoy every customer who comes in. When I am going to the Parts department, you follow me all the way there trying to talk me into a new sports bike. You tell me how easy it pops wheelies, and how sick the new model is (despite it being the same as the '13 and '14, WRT to the 636 ZX-6R) When I was forced to go yesterday, I followed a customer in who said "I'm just here to look." Your response of "Oh well I'm just here to sell" makes you look like greedy fucks.

2. Your parts department: I'm sorry I annoyed you by asking for a part. You had 1 of the 2 things I needed in stock. The worst part is how EVERYTHING is for sale at MSRP, or above. Copper crush washers were almost $6 each. You had zero interest in actually giving any tips/tricks for the parts I was buying... you acted like you wanted to get the transaction over with as fast as possible so you could go back to your phone.

3. Your service department sucks. Your tires are overpriced, and while I know you can't compete online, charging $50 per wheel OFF THE BIKE to mount and balance is ridiculous. $75 if it's on the bike! Your inability to come across competently on general questions or build a report means I'm never taking my motorcycle there even when it needs maintenance.

I ordered my other parts online (even if it wasn't any savings) because your dealership sucks so much. I've lived here for two years and I dread going in there every time.

In conclusion, get hosed and I hope you go out of business.

Rapport.

:v:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Blah, you're right, edited.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most big bike dealers just tend to suck it seems like. The little shops are ok but they don't seem to last very long.

I tend to buy everything I need in bulk from so I pretty much never need to go to a store.
A four pack of filters from ebay is less than the dealer is charging for one if they even have anything in stock for a not late model bike. The crush washers you can buy from Harbor Freight in an assortment for $10. That's enough for a lot of oil changes on a bunch of different vehicles. Oil is Walmart unless your lucky (unlucky) enough to work at a place where you can get it for free/cheap.

The few times I've needed a part NOW and gone to the dealer (only to be told that they would have to order it anyway) I was shocked that it was 3-4x more expensive than the same part online. I know that the place needs to keep the lights on and to keep the bros to hold the chairs down in the parts department but gently caress me if you think I'm going to be the one paying for it.

EDIT: This is coming from a person who works at a car dealer so I'm a huge hypocrite but whatever.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I go to Western Honda, the dealer I bought my bike at for my parts. Their online is cheaper, and same price as hondapartshouse, so I just ask to price match if I'm ordering in store. The first time I tried that they said they can't do that, but after that it was all good, guess guy was wrong. I get a 15% discount too because I bought my bike there, but it doesn't stack, so I just get whatever is cheapest option. I do my big services there and stuff like tires and chains at a small shop that is only $30/hr compared to their $80. I dont know if I trust the small shop to do engine work compared to the dealer. They seem decent but I dunno

I go to BlackMK4 to do fork seals :sun:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'm pretty lucky I guess. The local powersports dealer here will order parts for nearly the same as what you'll find on RonAyers. Free shipping.

The only problem is that you'll probably have to wait 2 weeks to get the part :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Amazon is way faster

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

Amazon is way faster

Normally I'd agree, but-

The thing to note with that last pic is that I live in Texas. So far they've gone about 2500mi in the wrong direction.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
At least you can complain and get a sizeable Amazon credit.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Amazon is really good about giving you free poo poo when you complain. Sadly the only two times I've gotten screwed by a shipping mistake where before two long trips. I had to make do without nice earphones the first time and a laptop on the other. I got a free set of the same earphones delivered to my destination and a $20 gift card from the laptop using only a few disappointed sounding emails to customer service.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The post office lost one of my returns (one of those $70 digital pocket oscilliscopes), so Amazon refunded me fully. Then, a month later, it showed back up in the mail.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I would be happy if Amazon Canada just wasn't disappointingly crap in general, no gift vouchers required. Canada's e-commerce sophistication seems to be somewhere on par with Australia, without having the excuse of being a day's flying from anywhere and surrounded by oceans.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm not sure what the point of raging onto my rear end while I'm indicating to turn into a parking lot is, Mr Dodge Durango. But gently caress you. I indicated with plenty of time and didn't slam my brakes.
If turn into the lot and look back- oh you're on a cell phone. Allow me to reiterate: gently caress you.

Idiot in the BMW X5, hang up your phone and pay attention to the loving road. You were in the right turn only lane, with your indicator on, and about to make the turn when "WAIT I WANT TO GO WEST NOT EAST" and, without looking, hard left it into the center lane. I almost end up in your rear left quarter panel.
Even after laying on my horn and flashing my headlight you just keep on trucking. No "oh poo poo my bad" wave, just "I'll get milk from the store you pick up the kids this conversation is too important to wait for later."
gently caress you. Hang up the goddamn phone.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Idiot in the BMW X5
Redundant, but I'll allow it.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Being on the phone is bad enough, but texting/whatever makes me absolutely rage. It's just so utterly selfish and self centred and I have to confess that I near enough always call people out on it. I'll probably get stabbed one day, but gently caress it, people need telling - especially when near 100% of the time you can tell just by following them for 3 minutes.

Overtook two people who were all over the place recently and found they were on the phone.

The one simply threw the phone to his passenger and threatened to kick my head in.

The second had a kid in the car and I finished my rant with "what are you going to do when you hurt your child with your idiocy" to which she responded with "it's not your child so mind your own business".

These things should carry super severe penalties on par with drink driving.

Just for balance though, my worst recent experience is also my best. Despite doing a lot of driving its incredibly rare I actually have any kind of near miss, but I was well and truly forced into the shoulder last week when a guy on the phone realised he was missing his junction. Because of the proximity to the junction I had to follow him off, so I stopped next to him and tore a strip off him. Bloke absolutely couldn't apologise enough...!

hermand fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I had a moment going across the bay bridge a few weeks back when it was raining and high winds (up to 40mph gusts, IIRC), and I look over and next to me there's a guy that's got both hands through the steering wheel, texting. I pull up to him, honk, give him the palm up "wtf man" gesture, and he looked ashamed and tossed it on the passenger seat.

Fair enough, but seriously? My bike was getting pushed around pretty well, wouldn't you want to keep your hands on the wheel? :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hermand posted:

Being on the phone is bad enough, but texting/whatever makes me absolutely rage. It's just so utterly selfish and self centred and I have to confess that I near enough always call people out on it. I'll probably get stabbed one day, but gently caress it, people need telling - especially when near 100% of the time you can tell just by following them for 3 minutes.

Overtook two people who were all over the place recently and found they were on the phone.

The one simply threw the phone to his passenger and threatened to kick my head in.

The second had a kid in the car and I finished my rant with "what are you going to do when you hurt your child with your idiocy" to which she responded with "it's not your child so mind your own business".

These things should carry super severe penalties on par with drink driving.

Just for balance though, my worst recent experience is also my best. Despite doing a lot of driving its incredibly rare I actually have any kind of near miss, but I was well and truly forced into the shoulder last week when a guy on the phone realised he was missing his junction. Because of the proximity to the junction I had to follow him off, so I stopped next to him and tore a strip off him. Bloke absolutely couldn't apologise enough...!

Severe penalties don't stop drink driving either, trust me.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I almost got pushed out of the lane by an old lady today. I saw it coming and her lane change was really slow, so I hung in there to see what was going on in there. She didn't move a single muscle. Kinda neat to see someone so loving zoned out if it wasn't dangerous.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KARMA! posted:

I almost got pushed out of the lane by an old lady today. I saw it coming and her lane change was really slow, so I hung in there to see what was going on in there. She didn't move a single muscle. Kinda neat to see someone so loving zoned out if it wasn't dangerous.

Same to me this morning, but it was some douche in a BMW who was shaving. Two lane road, that adds a third lane on the right side. I was in the right lane, he was in the left. As the third lane was added, he just said gently caress it and cut his wheel right. I ended up across both lanes and onto the shoulder to get away from him. He never even noticed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Severe penalties don't stop drink driving either, trust me.
It does if we make it carry a death penalty. :getin:

edit: In all seriousness DUI or texting while driving should just be defined as reckless endangerment.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Collateral Damage posted:

It does if we make it carry a death penalty. :getin:

edit: In all seriousness DUI or texting while driving should just be defined as reckless endangerment.

Attempted murder.

iwentdoodie posted:

douche in a BMW

What's the word for when two words mean the same thing? Not redundant. It's a bit more of an academic term. I think.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chichevache posted:

What's the word for when two words mean the same thing? Not redundant. It's a bit more of an academic term. I think.
Tautology

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That's the bunny!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The first rule of the tautology club, is the first rule of the tautology club.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Everyone who drives in a car by themselves should have it taken away and given a motorcycle. If you can't shift a manual Honda makes some nice automatics.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

Everyone who drives in a car by themselves should have it taken away and given a motorcycle. If you can't shift a manual Honda makes some nice automatics.

Just give anyone who doesn't want a manual a scooter. Problem solved. If they can't get to work because of the weather make them carpool, or take transit. Life in the USA just got 100% better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I carpool and ride a motorcycle. Best two ways to commute. I'm either having fun, or asleep.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HappyHelmet posted:

Just give anyone who doesn't want a manual a scooter. Problem solved. If they can't get to work because of the weather make them carpool, or take transit. Life in the USA just got 100% better.

Can you imagine if the highways in LA were full of scooters like in Taiwan? Would be awesome.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

Can you imagine if the highways in LA were full of scooters like in Taiwan? Would be awesome.

Well scooters aren't even allowed to ride on highways in Taiwan so the freeways in LA would be empty!

If everyone had them in Seattle getting around the city would be SO much easier. Hell, I'd be happy if they would just allow lane splitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Saw a teenager on a moped today - no gear apart from his helmet. He was riding along.....texting.

There is truly no hope.