Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

New event is up. The first 76mm Sherman is allowed.

:frogsiren: The Germans don't get a Tiger :frogsiren:

I can drive my SMK in ARB... this is stupid, but I can't resist.

e: Also soviets get to use their 76mm M4A2

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FaustianQ posted:

I had no idea that Wehraboos would be so loving mad over a Pershing, I always thought such angst was reserved for Russian vehicles. Man it must suck to realize everyone else builds better tanks for a weight class :smug:

I was playing germans in the event last night (Trying to unlock my own Tiger). And the reason zee germains hate it so much is because of HOW they use the tigers. I'd hunt down a good spot where I could tuck in relatively hidden and get a good fire lane. The Tigers would just drive to the middle of a field where everyone and god could see them and then be absolutely shocked when they became the focus of pershings that were much like me, hidden.

I killed 3-4 Pershings by being offside and popping their turrets over and over again while they went on a tiger murder spree.

On one map it came down to myself and another Tiger who was playing relatively smart to take out most of the enemy team. Everyone else died in the first 5 minutes.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Holy gently caress Gaijin just patch out flaps because that poo poo's useless now.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

New event is up. The first 76mm Sherman is allowed.

:frogsiren: The Germans don't get a Tiger :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2WOxatOz60

Omarmarious posted:

Anyone else notice any rebalancing in plans or tanks with this last patch? If any of you still play this awful game and play sim battles with planes I am looking for others to squad up with. I also stream on twitch every Friday night https://www.twitch.tv/omarmarious east coast time. Looking to be doing a raffle for a HOTAS joystick in the near future.

Does anyone still play this awful game haha am i rite guys?! I just saw a poo poo ton of posts in this very active thread but assumed no, btw I stream here's my twtich and I have a raffle soon maybe and my only post on the forums ever is totally not a thinly veiled pitch to get more people into my lovely twitch stream thanks bye!

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 27, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Fart Car '97 posted:

btw I stream here's my twtich and I have a raffle soon maybe and my only post on the forums ever is totally not a thinly veiled pitch to get more people into my lovely twitch stream thanks bye!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om6t2JUlbAM

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Or, y'know, because the Pershing offers relatively heavy tank stats with medium tank bonuses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Omarmarious posted:

Anyone else notice any rebalancing in plans or tanks with this last patch? If any of you still play this awful game and play sim battles with planes I am looking for others to squad up with. I also stream on twitch every Friday night https://www.twitch.tv/omarmarious east coast time. Looking to be doing a raffle for a HOTAS joystick in the near future.

Screw you man.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
YEEEEES

That guy bitching about Tigers and M26s in the official forums posted:

Well... you are taking this to far. Shall I mention how Typhoons were catching fire by themselves, how were also loosing "parts" during the flight like the whole tail? I can make a list of mechanical problems of all designs of all nations. People keeps telling we make bias but i only want to play fair, i don't care which nation, i play all. And still, since the new update, try to put a Tiger I into mud. You will see how fun it is.

But anyway the game is not about mechanical issues, it's about combat... And in combat, when Tiger was released, there was no gun which could penetrate 100mm. You can read this in any WWII book.

Of course when IS-2 appeared it was a formidable enemy (still, in the combat manuals they point out that 2 tigers should engage 5 IS-2). And of course Pershing was a good tank but hey, was designed in 1944... 2 years later when Tiger was ruling the battlefields they were in.

I said the following:

"If we're talking historical accuracy, OP, then of those 10 Tigers you mentioned 8 would have broken down before reaching the front - 7 of the T34s get knocked out, 4 get sent to the rear and repaired, and the Tiger tankers report 20 kills.
Then they leave behind two of their supporting Panthers because they tried to turn in neutral steering and their transmission caught fire.

Realism isn't fun, especially when you're trying to apply it only to one side. Yes, the Tiger was a good tank for the stretch between 42 and 43, but after that it got outclassed HARD by Allied designs. There's no such thing as innate German superiority."

:allears:

He's also really angry at the idea of Tigers getting killed by Shermans when the Sherman manages to kill more than one.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

goddamn I need to stop playing in the russian server.

First game a friendly KV-2 puts a shell trough my back turret.
Less than half a minute into the game.

Gee thanks, I don't even have any clan tags or any decals on my tank.
This keeps happening on the russian server, and if it wasn't for the fact that they are stupid easy to kill I would have stopped playing on those servers a long time ago, but now I've had enough.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
How's the 76mm Sherman with the muzzle brake on it? The gun doesn't look noticeably better than the first long 76mm, at least on paper.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

All the 76mm guns are identical, the differences are only visual (and the M4A3 and Jumbo get APCR)

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Azran posted:

YEEEEES

I said the following:

"If we're talking historical accuracy, OP, then of those 10 Tigers you mentioned 8 would have broken down before reaching the front - 7 of the T34s get knocked out, 4 get sent to the rear and repaired, and the Tiger tankers report 20 kills.
Then they leave behind two of their supporting Panthers because they tried to turn in neutral steering and their transmission caught fire.

Realism isn't fun, especially when you're trying to apply it only to one side. Yes, the Tiger was a good tank for the stretch between 42 and 43, but after that it got outclassed HARD by Allied designs. There's no such thing as innate German superiority."

:allears:

He's also really angry at the idea of Tigers getting killed by Shermans when the Sherman manages to kill more than one.

You could tell him that the biggest adventage the germans had, for a while, was their superior training. That doesn't apply to internet tanks, and noobs in Tigers, and even Jagdtigers, getting owned by M4s is historically accurate.

wikipedia posted:

Near Unna, one Jagdtiger climbed a hill to attack five American tanks 600 meters away and below; two withdrew and the other three opened fire. The Jagdtiger took several hits, but American projectiles could not penetrate the 250 mm (9.8 in) frontal armor. However, the inexperienced German commander lost his nerve and turned around instead of backing down, exposed the thinner side armor, which was eventually penetrated and all six crew members were lost. Carius wrote that it was useless when crews were not trained or experienced enough to have the thick frontal armor facing the enemy at all times

Superior german steel, defeated by german incompetence. I can see how that could apply to Tiger teams in WT. :allears:

Bonus hilarrity:

wikipedia posted:

Insufficient crew training and poor morale was the biggest problem for Jagdtiger crews under Carius' command. At the Ruhr pocket, two Jagdtiger commanders failed to attack an American armored column about 1.5 km (1 mile) away in daylight for fear of attracting an air attack, even though Jagdtigers were well camouflaged. Both vehicles broke down while hurriedly withdrawing through fear of air attack which did not come, and one was then destroyed by the crew. To prevent such disaster at Siegen, Carius himself dug in on high ground. An approaching American armored column avoided the prepared ambush because German civilians warned them of it. Later, one of his vehicles fell into a bomb crater at night and was disabled, and another was lost to Panzerfaust attack by friendly Volkssturm troops who had never seen a Jagdtiger before

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Feindfeuer posted:

Bonus hilarrity:
To be fair, if the stories in this thread are any indication then Germans absolutely should be afraid of air attacks. Though I'm guessing that most of the time the victim is a Tiger sitting on an empty hill or something.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 27, 2015

black hold
Jan 30, 2015

organburner posted:

goddamn I need to stop playing in the russian server.

First game a friendly KV-2 puts a shell trough my back turret.
Less than half a minute into the game.

Gee thanks, I don't even have any clan tags or any decals on my tank.
This keeps happening on the russian server, and if it wasn't for the fact that they are stupid easy to kill I would have stopped playing on those servers a long time ago, but now I've had enough.

Yeah whenever i do sim battles on the russian or EU server, there is always this one tard that chases two teammates and shoots them down while spamming chat. I am curious what motivates them but i then write it off as bad guy russians. On another note I've had some decent matches on the Asian server though my ping is not very good there. I still try to stay on the good ol' US servers

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My favorite German fanboy troll is to point out how the Sherman was more reliable, more easily modified, and easy to produce than every tank the Germans ever made. Then say that the Sherman was arguably more advanced than the Tiger, because of all the advanced technology used in it's construction.

I have no idea why people in these games get so worked up with the need to prove their favorite tank/plane/etc was the best thing ever, but it's fun to antagonize them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

He also insists the IS2 could only engage a Tiger in a 5 to 2 ratio, and it was the first Soviet vehicle ever to be able to penetrate the Tiger's armor. :allears: He also complains he can't swear in the official forums, when this is a game about "killing men".

I quoted Tank Archives now, just waiting for the meltdown.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I can't wait to see what happens if they ever put the Sherman Firefly in.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

To be fair, if the stories in this thread are any indication then Germans absolutely should be afraid of air attacks. Though I'm guessing that most of the time the victim is a Tiger sitting on an empty hill or something.

I have never shot a german tank that was hidden in a tree line or street with either my P-47 or IL-2 in ASB/ARB. I killed quiet a few Tigers sitting on the open field, 'sniping' at the enemy. Even if you see a muzzle flash in the tree line, you can't be sure it's a flanking friendly unless you get a visual or have someone on the ground tell you via mumble.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

Also players who haven't yet learned to spread out at spawn. My last match yesterday started with a lone Thunderbolt nailing four of my team in one drop, then circling around and rocketing a fifth.

We still won by capturing their base :black101:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They should add repair timer modifiers based on the reliability/simplicity of the tanks, so if a Tiger gets tracked/tranmissioned it takes 3 minutes to fix, whereas a Shermans keep their 30 second repair timers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it at this point it's generally accepted that, with the exception of rocket development, the U.S. had technology on part with Germany (and in many cases more advanced than what they had). AFAIK We had developed an analogue to pretty much everything they had from 1942 on, we were just smart enough to think "Yeah OK this whiz-bang poo poo is nice and all but let's just stick with the work-able poo poo we have and make 10x as many as the Germans"

Like doesn't the entire idea that Germany was more advanced than the allies really just stem from the fact that they were dumb enough to deploy their cutting edge stuff where as the U.S. didn't?

Feindfeuer posted:

Even if you see a muzzle flash in the tree line, you can't be sure it's a flanking friendly unless you get a visual or have someone on the ground tell you via mumble.

ProTip: Strafe a target you can't ID with your .50 cals. If it's a bad dude you'll get hit RP/target undamaged, if it's a good dude you won't and youll probably trigger the "STOP FIRING" audio queue. There's like an infinitesimally small chance you'll track him by accident but whatever.

Edit 2:

Hitler was an idiot lmao:

quote:

Eager to make use of the powerful new weapon, Hitler ordered the vehicle be pressed into service months earlier than planned.[39] A platoon of four Tigers was put into action on 23 September 1942 near Leningrad.[40] Operating in swampy, forested terrain their movement was largely confined to roads and tracks, making defense against them far easier. Many of these early models were plagued by problems with the transmission, which had difficulty handling the heavy weight of the vehicle if pushed too hard. It took time for drivers to learn how to avoid over taxing the engine and transmission, and many broke down. The most significant event from this engagement was that one of the Tigers became stuck in swampy ground and had to be abandoned. Captured largely intact, it allowed the Soviets to study the design and prepare countermeasures.[41]

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 27, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Gimnbo posted:

I can't wait to see what happens if they ever put the Sherman Firefly in.

Dead Wittmans everywhere.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Some of the stuff the US had was deployed only reluctantly due to fears of getting copied, like the advanced AA munitions they had been toying around with. (I wish I remembered more details about them)

But yes, the Americans had to deal with transport and supplies over oceans so the Sherman was just the perfect compromise for their situation. It also means you can afford to suffer more losses while still achieving your strategic objectives, something people like the guy over at OperationBarbarrosa.net, who went as far as to try and quantify WW2 in a mathematical experiment (with Unit_Kill_Values) don't get at all.

But hey, can't blame them - after all, a friend of mine has a History Professor in his law school that has, multiple times, argued that the US didn't actually fight in WW2. The US barely had any material impact on the war, was just trying to get Germany's oil reserves because they are capitalist pigs and Pearl Harbor was an inside job. So yeah, if people with an actual degree can say things like these, then what can you expect from people who barely have a professional education.

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 27, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We don't even have the M36, which has the Pershing's gun but should have a lower BR. It also has a similar hull profile to a Jumbo, although the turret is open-topped and made of paper.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

ProTip: Strafe a target you can't ID with your .50 cals. If it's a bad dude you'll get hit RP/target undamaged, if it's a good dude you won't and youll probably trigger the "STOP FIRING" audio queue. There's like an infinitesimally small chance you'll track him by accident but whatever.

:stare: Why didn't I think of that? This is a great advice, thanks.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
If it's a gun truck they will probably shoot back at anything diving on them so its best to actually learn the differences between them. It's funny to strafe friendly ones though just because they get stuck there for 2 minutes while you suffer no consequences unless they somehow die from a fire or jumping out.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thief posted:

If it's a gun truck they will probably shoot back at anything diving on them so its best to actually learn the differences between them. It's funny to strafe friendly ones though just because they get stuck there for 2 minutes while you suffer no consequences unless they somehow die from a fire or jumping out.

Yeah but if you've located a target in the trees based on seeing it fire from there it should be painfully obvious if it's a gun truck or not.

Also lol at the insinuation that like 99% of all gun trucks don't sit in the open in their spawn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favorite story about bad german tankers is one where a Panther got caught in the open and got shot at something like thirty times, completely wrecked, but tank doctrine dictated that the crew was forbidden to abandon the vehicle except in the case of a fire. Can you imagine getting blasted that many times and being held at gunpoint by your commander to stay in the vehicle?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Let's get some american tank bashing rolling to keep the balance. Some russian comments on the M4 'Emchas',

Shermans tipped over.

Dmitriy Loza posted:

The Sherman had its weaknesses, the greatest of which was its high center of gravity. The tank frequently tipped over on its side, like a Matryoshka doll (a wooden stacking doll). But I am alive today thanks to this deficiency. We were fighting in Hungary in December 1944. I was leading the battalion and on a turn my driver-mechanic clipped a curb. My tank went over on its side. We were thrown around, of course, but we survived the experience. Meanwhile the other four of my tanks went ahead and drove into an ambush. They were all destroyed.

Shermans burned, unlike the T-34 which exploded and had lovely HE rounds. :smug:

Dmitriy Loza posted:

For a long time after the war I sought an answer to one question. If a T-34 started burning, we tried to get as far away from it as possible, even though this was forbidden. The on-board ammunition exploded. For a brief period of time, perhaps six weeks, I fought on a T-34 around Smolensk. The commander of one of our companies was hit in his tank. The crew jumped out of the tank but were unable to run away from it because the Germans were pinning them down with machine gun fire. They lay there in the wheat field as the tank burned and blew up. By evening, when the battle had waned, we went to them. I found the company commander lying on the ground with a large piece of armor sticking out of his head. When a Sherman burned, the main gun ammunition did not explode. Why was this?

Such a case occurred once in Ukraine. Our tank was hit. We jumped out of it but the Germans were dropping mortar rounds around us. We lay under the tank as it burned. We laid there a long time with nowhere to go. The Germans were covering the empty field around the tank with machine gun and mortar fires. We lay there. The uniform on my back was beginning heating up from the burning tank. We thought we were finished! We would hear a big bang and it would all be over! A brother's grave! We heard many loud thumps coming from the turret. This was the armor-piercing rounds being blown out of their cases. Next the fire would reach the high explosive rounds and all hell would break loose! But nothing happened. Why not? Because our high explosive rounds detonated and the American rounds did not? In the end it was because the American ammunition had more refined explosives. Ours was some kind of component that increased the force of the explosion one and one-half times, at the same time increasing the risk of detonation of the ammunition.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Feindfeuer posted:

Bonus hilarity:

Pubbies were real :staredog:

Fart Car '97 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it at this point it's generally accepted that, with the exception of rocket development, the U.S. had technology on part with Germany (and in many cases more advanced than what they had). AFAIK We had developed an analogue to pretty much everything they had from 1942 on, we were just smart enough to think "Yeah OK this whiz-bang poo poo is nice and all but let's just stick with the work-able poo poo we have and make 10x as many as the Germans"

Yes, basically. The US had legit assault rifles in 1918, and were capable of fielding the M2 Carbine in 1941 in large numbers, but decided not to due to overblown supply issues, as just one example where Wehraboos prattle on about German tech. superiority. In many cases, the British (they're actually ahead of the curve in many places) and Americans refused to use technology even when the Germans/Japanese fielded due to concerns that it might fall into the hands of the enemy and allow them to fix everything wrong with their lovely version of it (Night and Thermal vision are good examples).

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

The US had legit assault rifles in 1918

Do you mean the BAR? Because the whole point of an assault rifle is to not use a full size rifle cartridge. It was also quite heavy.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 27, 2015

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Azran posted:

Some of the stuff the US had was deployed only reluctantly due to fears of getting copied, like the advanced AA munitions they had been toying around with. (I wish I remembered more details about them)

You're probably thinking of proximity-fuzed shells! Two British Army researchers came up with the concept, but the Brits couldn't develop it and the design was shared with the US as part of the Tizard Mission in 1940. They're pretty much what they sound like: instead of an impact, delay, or altitude fuze, use a goddamn clever design with a small Doppler radar to detonate the shell when it's near its target. The US Navy was all "whoah these fuckers own let's figure out how to build them" and promptly did.

They were deadly as gently caress and a pretty valuable secret (as the Nazis hadn't managed to develop their own), so the US didn't want to risk them falling into enemy hands. They were limited to naval usage (and AAA batteries in the UK) to avoid letting anyone reverse-engineer the design from a dud shell, but in the Battle of the Bulge, they were used to airburst artillery rounds with devastating effect.

e:

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 27, 2015

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fart Car '97 posted:

Like doesn't the entire idea that Germany was more advanced than the allies really just stem from the fact that they were dumb enough to deploy their cutting edge stuff where as the U.S. didn't?

The US developed some 'Super Weapons' during WWII as well and deployed them. The thing was the US ones didn't suck.

The B-29 project (which we also developed a backup bomber in case the B-29 didn't work) was more expensive than the A-Bomb I believe.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

The US developed some 'Super Weapons' during WWII as well and deployed them.

America is a superweapon, baby :911:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Another thing that was a secret till things got really dire and it had to get deployed was the Katyusha. It was quite the morale booster.

Taerkar posted:

The US developed some 'Super Weapons' during WWII as well and deployed them. The thing was the US ones didn't suck.

The B-29 project (which we also developed a backup bomber in case the B-29 didn't work) was more expensive than the A-Bomb I believe.

Yup! I was shocked when I found that out.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Taerkar posted:

It probably helps that we didn't lose millions of people and/or have our cities gutted by bombing campaigns like the Axis powers/USSR did.

Edit: Can't remember where I read it, but one of the big gains for the USSR was getting their hands on a B29 that crashed (maybe landed?) after a bomb run on Japan.

Edit2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 27, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BadOptics posted:

It probably helps that we didn't lose millions of people and/or have our cities gutted by bombing campaigns like the Axis powers/USSR did.

Yeah but that's why it's important to point out to the Wehraboos that the U.S. had technological parity well before D-Day, because that's their default fallback argument,

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
New small patch rolling out in the next day or so:

quote:

Incendiary effect of all APCR ammo increased
Fixed thickness of additional side screens on Pz IV Ausf. E
Neutral turn ability added for Panther II, Panzerjäger Ferdinand and Bfw. Tiger (P) tanks
Spawn points changed on ‘White Rock Fortress’ in RB: they were moved closer to the center of the map
Fixed error that led to boosters not working in the last battle
Ground vehicle draw distance from aircraft is increased up to 6km
Issue with players artillery being destroyed at the start of an SB match has been fixed

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's funny because insufficient crew training and poor morale matches the wehraboo posters in-game performance perfectly.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The soviets had the ZiS-4 57mm and the ZiS-6 107mm guns that both could easily penetrate the Tiger's armor. They were pre war design,s but both were shelved because at the time they figured that they were not needed because the armor of all tanks at the time were nowhere near the penetration power of either weapon. That's before we count all of the 122 and 152 guns that could just destroy it with HE or the 85mm AA guns that could pen.

loving wheraboos man.

E: Increased air to ground render distance? Thank gently caress! I was bitching hard about this earlier.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

BadOptics posted:

Yeah we dodged a bullet there with regards to not murdering millions of our citizens in the middle of a war. :v:

• Locked thread