Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm up for joining in with you guys but I could do with a few days to git gud or just get less poo poo ha ha!

I managed to get a cool iRacing name as well, I am DON BOON - how 70s Formula 1 sounding is that :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

I said come in! posted:

This will be the only other racing sim besides Gran Turismo, with the 24 hour configuration.

I assume you don't consider Forza 5 a racing sim?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I managed to get a cool iRacing name as well, I am DON BOON - how 70s Formula 1 sounding is that :lol:

fuckin gently caress yesssssss

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hi, Don Boon here, pleased to meet you *flicks cigarette, finishes can of lager and zooms off*

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I used my real name like a dumbass.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FAILURE posted:

I assume you don't consider Forza 5 a racing sim?

No no, 5 is a racing sim, but it doesn't have the 24 hour config does it? FM4 didn't have it, just nurburging and the grand prix. The 24 hour config is the two tracks combined.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

No no, 5 is a racing sim, but it doesn't have the 24 hour config does it? FM4 didn't have it, just nurburging and the grand prix. The 24 hour config is the two tracks combined.

Yeah, 5 has it, it is the first Forza game to feature it though.

To be slightly more on-topic: Don Boon is a good name.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FAILURE posted:

Yeah, 5 has it, it is the first Forza game to feature it though.

To be slightly more on-topic: Don Boon is a good name.

I skipped Forza 5 and the Xbone, but I probably want an xbone once Forza 6 comes out. :homebrew:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Uhhh so the Indy series for next season got weird: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3301671.page

This is especially strange since the last we had heard from Tony was that nothing was going to change for this season. Now I have to decide if I can bring myself to run open oval or if I'm looking for another car to drive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I skipped Forza 5 and the Xbone, but I probably want an xbone once Forza 6 comes out. :homebrew:

Horizon 2 is a poo poo ton of fun. It leans more to the arcade side. But it uses the forza physics model.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

Uhhh so the Indy series for next season got weird: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3301671.page

This is especially strange since the last we had heard from Tony was that nothing was going to change for this season. Now I have to decide if I can bring myself to run open oval or if I'm looking for another car to drive.

Hey, if nothing else, that should be some easy participation credits.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Lord Crapulus posted:

I'll be around for fixed road lmao yesss.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Fixed road is idiotic in this car (or any of the downforce cars), since they'll just pick one of the terrible undriveable baselines. Considering how many people of varying speeds share their setups on the forum each week, it seems really unnecessary anyway. I've used a forum setup every week, and it hasn't kept me from being competitive.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just had an awful race where I got wiped out on a straight :(

Still in better news I have my forum sig sorted!

Or

Too much?

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 27, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Only if you promise to drive in the Lotus 79 series.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bentai posted:

Only if you promise to drive in the Lotus 79 series.

I promise, also while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_HoMkkRHv8

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The first one. The second one gets a bit lost with the road N.

btw, join GoonCar

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I wonder if iRacing will ever introduce karts or perhaps semi truck racing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I wonder if iRacing will ever introduce karts or perhaps semi truck racing.

Either would be hilarious because of the community reaction. Kart racing is a legit form of racing, and absolutely belongs in iRacing, but I don't expect the community to be accepting of it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

I said come in! posted:

Either would be hilarious because of the community reaction. Kart racing is a legit form of racing, and absolutely belongs in iRacing, but I don't expect the community to be accepting of it.

Which is stupid. The first step in the honest to god real life "Road to Indy" is karts.

EDIT: Ayrton Senna learned how to drive on karts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Overwined posted:

Which is stupid. The first step in the honest to god real life "Road to Indy" is karts.

Yep exactly, that's the example I was thinking of for why karts belong in iRacing.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
AAAAnnnd, karts could be that Legends-analog in road courses. That sort of Rookie and a half badge car.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

Overwined posted:

Karts is a "first step" for most South Americans and Europeans, but many Americans came up through midget racing, which people are legitimately clamoring for a more true-to-life series but modeling dirt is hard or something.

FAILURE fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 27, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Hi, Don Boon here, pleased to meet you *flicks cigarette, finishes can of lager and zooms off*

Welcome PGabz!

Some things I have learned about gooncar in my short time:

1. Watch out for unpretentious and delicious aquatic life.

2. Remember to change your fuel amount after qualifying.

3. Fruit Stripe gets cranky when you tailgate him.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gorson posted:

Welcome PGabz!

Some things I have learned about gooncar in my short time:

1. Watch out for unpretentious and delicious aquatic life.

2. Remember to change your fuel amount after qualifying.

Noted :v:

I've got to get out of rookies first, baby steps and all that!

I've had some friend requests and that makes me feel happy, also some team requests but I am CONFUSED.

Can I join more than one team? What are teams? Are these both Goon teams?

Rich GT gentlemen drivers
Turn One Hiros

TEAMS

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 27, 2015

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

peter gabriel posted:

Can I join more than one team? What are teams? Are these both Goon teams?

Rich GT gentlemen drivers
Turn One Hiros

TEAMS

1. Yes you can.

2. Teams are only used in Team Racing. In certain series/races you enter teams, not individuals & you can swap drivers at pitstops, in addition to changing certain settings from outside the car.

3. Yes, those are both goon teams. Turn One Hiros completed an almost-successful Daytona 24 Hours a few weeks ago.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
They got to the end, it was totally successful! :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

dsriggs posted:

1. Yes you can.

2. Teams are only used in Team Racing. In certain series/races you enter teams, not individuals & you can swap drivers at pitstops, in addition to changing certain settings from outside the car.

3. Yes, those are both goon teams. Turn One Hiros completed an almost-successful Daytona 24 Hours a few weeks ago.

Sweet thanks, I have joined them both and apologise in advance for everything.

So in a practical sense what do teams do on race day? What happens if both teams I am in are in the same race :ohdear:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
You better have two sim PC rigs ready to go...

For Sebring, Hiros will be driving the HPD and Gents will be driving the RUF. I believe each team can only enter one car in a race, so we can get around that by having multiple teams.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

peter gabriel posted:

Sweet thanks, I have joined them both and apologise in advance for everything.

So in a practical sense what do teams do on race day? What happens if both teams I am in are in the same race :ohdear:

You can only choose one team to enter the race with. When you join a race, you have the choice to either enter a new team into the race, or join one somebody else has already entered. After that, you cannot change from one to another.

Vando posted:

They got to the end, it was totally successful! :colbert:

Barely :colbert:

e:

CaseFace McGee posted:

For Sebring, Hiros will be driving the HPD and Gents will be driving the RUF. I believe each team can only enter one car in a race, so we can get around that by having multiple teams.
There MAY be a BMW team too, but that depends on numbers.

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 27, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cool thanks guys

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
With regards to kart talk. I've never driven a good kart sim. They always feel weird/off.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Gorson posted:

Everyone stay away from me!

advion
Jul 25, 2005

dsriggs posted:

There MAY be a BMW team too, but that depends on numbers.

If we can get enough to fill out a BMW team I would jump from the HPD to that. But right now it doesn't look like it would fill up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ziploc posted:

With regards to kart talk. I've never driven a good kart sim. They always feel weird/off.

Game Stock Car Extreme has carts. I only messed with them a little bit, so I can't speak to how weird they are.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

As someone who grew up racing dirt karts, I'm the saddest person who's never been able to properly recreate my childhood.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder that it's Sebring testing night this evening, bring your HPDs and Rufs (and BMWs? Maybe?)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think the weirdness of kart racing is not being able to feel how they respond. A lot of the challenge is hanging on in those turns and just how fast it feels on small tracks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Having raced Karts in the rain I'm just going to go ahead and say they just feel loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah, there's an increased necessity for seat-feel in karts that's likely nearly impossible to reproduce.. even moreso on asphalt.

Went to an indoor electric track at the Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY after drinking a bunch of beers with some friends for my birthday a few months ago, and I have to say that it's a legit racing experience that's ridiculously fun.

• Locked thread