Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't like the war table, it's kinda dumb. Sure, some of the stuff is funny if you bother to read it but that kind of timed mission bullshit just feels pointless. Oh, great, I got 100 gold or a lizard horse I'll never use. Fantastic.
The rewards were often quite weak. They needed some extra values to plug into. I wanted table outcomes to boost my Tyranny or Zeal or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it was a bummer when you got the same amount of influence as collecting like six rocks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That's why it's optional, though. Like it would be terrible if you had to grind it to get top-tier loot, versus now where the real reward is "oh hey here's a letter from King Bhelen" for the nerds like me who actually care about callbacks and such.

I also got, as far as I can tell, the only reference to my Warden-Commander actually being a dwarven paragon at the Winter Palace; the two dwarves near the vestibule window mentioned that "Paragon Brosca is still missing" or something like that. It was a nice touch, since I thought the Keep completely glossed over all the endgame DAO rewards.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Being optional isn't an excuse for being pointless. It should be something you want to do, else it was wasted effort on the developers' part.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

Being optional isn't an excuse for being pointless. It should be something you want to do, else it was wasted effort on the developers' part.

Or was a series of stubs for them to hang content off should they have more/less time.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Finally got around to playing Inquisition after picking it up on the critic's sale. I am absolutely dumbfounded by how much better it is than Origins, animations, textures, combat... It's actually fun to play.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Looks like another beta sign up is live: https://dragonagekeep.com/DAIPatchBETA/

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Why is everyone so fired up to see the Inquisition dragged through the mud and turned evil after all the time we just spent building it up? And wanting to see the Inquisitor assassinated?! :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

Why is everyone so fired up to see the Inquisition dragged through the mud and turned evil after all the time we just spent building it up? And wanting to see the Inquisitor assassinated?! :psyduck:

Count me as one of the people who thinks Bioware in general has not handled importing characters from one game to the next very well and would like to see games not saddled with addressing what happened to everyone and everything from the last game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In regards to some people not knowing that you can help a guy start up his own crew, Bioware seems to have a done good job in this game of creating extra content that not everyone would see.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Count me as one of the people who thinks Bioware in general has not handled importing characters from one game to the next very well and would like to see games not saddled with addressing what happened to everyone and everything from the last game.

Yeah, honestly it felt indulgent even in DA2. I didn't need to see Zevran or Nathaniel. Or Anders.

And in DAI, I didn't particularly want to see Hawke, even though Hawke's my favorite PC I've ever played. I want Hawke to be out doing Hawke stuff, who knows what or where. Heck, why not have a dialogue option where someone asks "And did you hear about Hawke?" and you decide, you could say like, "Oh, I heard she's still on the run" or "I heard she was reinstated" or something. For some reason they never have CYOA dialogue even though it works in the format.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Manatee Cannon posted:

That you find it pointless doesn't make it objectively pointless. For some people the reward of 100 gold or a stupid lizard horse doesn't matter, it's the little mini-dramas that unfold in the mission de-briefs or comparing how every adviser wants to handle the mission then picking the description that best aligns with how you want your Inquisition to run that is the real reward. Not everyone has the same reward circuits.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wouldn't call it pointless because you do get some benefit from it. It would be worse if it was required to do all of it, like how not grinding minerals in ME2 gets party members killed.

And really, half the reason I play RPGs is so I can read lore and choose one of a few different approaches to a situation to see how it plays out, and the war-table is pretty much just tiny bits of that over and over. I can see why most people wouldn't bother with it, but "let's not make this an option because only 25% of players will bother with it" is the design philosophy that is responsible for most of the problems with DA2, so I'm not seeing that as a good thing?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pick posted:

Yeah, honestly it felt indulgent even in DA2. I didn't need to see Zevran or Nathaniel. Or Anders.

The three of them between them make up my top three favourite characters from Origins and one was a ten-minute worthless dungeon, one was a slightly longer, more fun dungeon, and one was Anders.

At least Nate showed up to give me a hand with Meredith. :unsmith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pick posted:

And in DAI, I didn't particularly want to see Hawke, even though Hawke's my favorite PC I've ever played. I want Hawke to be out doing Hawke stuff, who knows what or where. Heck, why not have a dialogue option where someone asks "And did you hear about Hawke?" and you decide, you could say like, "Oh, I heard she's still on the run" or "I heard she was reinstated" or something. For some reason they never have CYOA dialogue even though it works in the format.

Well they do let you pick how you feel about your family/clan/company when talking to Josephine. Really that should be all the time, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

That you find it pointless doesn't make it objectively pointless. For some people the reward of 100 gold or a stupid lizard horse doesn't matter, it's the little mini-dramas that unfold in the mission de-briefs or comparing how every adviser wants to handle the mission then picking the description that best aligns with how you want your Inquisition to run that is the real reward. Not everyone has the same reward circuits.

Those could just as easily be codex entries that do not require 20 hours of real time waiting to complete. You aren't even being rewarded because you aren't doing anything.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Running around the Hinterlands and stumble on Valammar :suspense: They needed more interesting side areas and less enormous zones with too many side quests.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Carecat posted:

Running around the Hinterlands and stumble on Valammar :suspense: They needed more interesting side areas and less enormous zones with too many side quests.

The haunted house in Emerald Graves is one of the best side areas in the game.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The haunted house in Emerald Graves is one of the best side areas in the game.

Too bad it's only TWENTY loving MINUTES LONG

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

HIJK posted:

The companion quests in this game were all way too short. Vivienne's is barely a thing. Shoot, DA2 had multiple companion quests that were all p. long.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

Are you dying at the boss? I had to completely redo my play through. When I did it the second time, I ended up with 3 supply crates available at the aiming part. Make sure you're going standard MMO kill orders: Mages, DPS (archers will gently caress you up) then tanks. On the boss, just put the boss at the end of that list. You might have to restart to get it to go your way and being very frugal with the supply crates inside will help immensely. Outside supply crates don't matter (as you can't get back to them. I only think there are two out there). Staying on that tactic helped me tons.

I finally got through it after a few tries when I found a supply crate. Did y'all realize that named characters attack you there? I can imagine someone blowing through it and not realizing that, say, Fiona might try to beat your rear end if you had sided with the templars.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

setafd posted:

I finally got through it after a few tries when I found a supply crate. Did y'all realize that named characters attack you there? I can imagine someone blowing through it and not realizing that, say, Fiona might try to beat your rear end if you had sided with the templars.

Yeah, I noticed but had no clue who it was due to not playing for a while.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

HIJK posted:

Didn't bother me at all. I mean, I loved this loving game. It could definitely use more story driven content, but I enjoyed wandering around doing random missions and hunting dragons but its a fantastic open world RPG. I don't even care much about the Dragon Age world compared to pretty much any other open world RPG but they did such a good job I still enjoyed the hell out of it. It's my favorite game that came out last year.

I expect Witcher 3 will blow it out of the loving water but I genuinely hope they stick with the formula from this game for future games. If they have some better writing and more story driven regions I'd have virtually nothing to nitpick.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Didn't bother me at all. I mean, I loved this loving game. It could definitely use more story driven content, but I enjoyed wandering around doing random missions and hunting dragons but its a fantastic open world RPG. I don't even care much about the Dragon Age world compared to pretty much any other open world RPG but they did such a good job I still enjoyed the hell out of it. It's my favorite game that came out last year.

I expect Witcher 3 will blow it out of the loving water but I genuinely hope they stick with the formula from this game for future games. If they have some better writing and more story driven regions I'd have virtually nothing to nitpick.

Yeah, I'm...not so big on open world. Mostly because I'll feel so bored wandering around farming stuff.

Pattonesque posted:

The companion quests in this game were all way too short. Vivienne's is barely a thing. Shoot, DA2 had multiple companion quests that were all p. long.

Aaaand this too. I'd have enjoyed the game more if the companion quests weren't so lame.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Manatee Cannon posted:

Those could just as easily be codex entries that do not require 20 hours of real time waiting to complete. You aren't even being rewarded because you aren't doing anything.

If clicking the buttons and waiting and then reading what happens makes you feel good, you've been rewarded. If that's your jam, then more power to you; I"m glad DA:I offers you something that satisfies that. If that's not your jam, that's okay too. One of the things that makes DA:I special is that it has gameplay to trigger the reward impulse for nearly anyone.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cythereal posted:

I'd go as far as to say even characters like Leliana and Morrigan, who clearly had some more thought and planning put into their recurrence than just a quick cameo still were not good reuse of characters. Neither of their plotlines in DA:I were that interesting to me and it didn't help that I didn't really sympathize at all with the spymaster/hitman mourning her former boss/bff.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Polaron posted:

I don't want them turned evil, but given the fact that the game was all about dealing with the failure of major organizations that had grown too powerful and lost their way while continually expanding the influence of our completely unregulated organization made me nervous. Without something as ridiculously huge and evil as Corypheus to fight, what exactly is supposed to happen with this unconstrained group going to do? Even the best intentions can go wrong when there's nobody around to challenge them.

Like I've been saying, they don't have to turn evil, just be against you for one reason or other. Maybe just you ending up on the wrong side of a war table mission before you could clear things up.

DrProsek posted:

I'd go as far as to say even characters like Leliana and Morrigan, who clearly had some more thought and planning put into their recurrence than just a quick cameo still were not good reuse of characters. Neither of their plotlines in DA:I were that interesting to me and it didn't help that I didn't really sympathize at all with the spymaster/hitman mourning her former boss/bff.

At least they actually did something other than show up and die in one mission. It wasn't great, but they were integrated into the plot decently enough. Leliana moreso than Morrigan who really wasted the potential her son could have had.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrProsek posted:

I'd agree with Leiliana being unengaging, but I thought Morrigan was the best of the lot, at least the demon baby Morrigan. I thought it had a nice arc, and it was nice to see Morrigan have enough growth to put her son wellbeing ahead of her goals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

Leliana moreso than Morrigan who really wasted the potential her son could have had.

I think that mostly comes down to the simple fact that Morrigan may not have a son (she sure doesn't in any of my imports), so Bioware felt compelled to prune that plot branch away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

If clicking the buttons and waiting and then reading what happens makes you feel good, you've been rewarded. If that's your jam, then more power to you; I"m glad DA:I offers you something that satisfies that. If that's not your jam, that's okay too. One of the things that makes DA:I special is that it has gameplay to trigger the reward impulse for nearly anyone.

The war room and the MMO style "collect ten ore" quests are not helpful to the gameplay of Inquisition, I'm sorry. I understand what you're trying to say here but no. That stuff is not well designed, even if you do happen to enjoy collecting bear pelts or reading snippets of side story fluff.

DrProsek posted:

I was expecting them to have more than that one throwaway line of Leliana's before you meet Morrigan. It's entirely possible that I missed some side thing but they never say a word to each other over the plot. It makes no sense that they'd have no comment at all.

I do wish they'd have just assumed Morrigan had had her demon baby and just made the choice who the father was. Otherwise there was no point, thus making Witch Hunt retroactively even worse.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

The war room and the MMO style "collect ten ore" quests are not helpful to the gameplay of Inquisition, I'm sorry. I understand what you're trying to say here but no. That stuff is not well designed, even if you do happen to enjoy collecting bear pelts or reading snippets of side story fluff.

I liked it well enough (the war table fluff, not the collectathon bits). What would be the alternative way to sneak that into the game, aside from just having it show up in found notes or mentioned by NPCs :confused:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I really hope they don't do "the Inquisition is evil now" because it would be throwing away a lot of the point of DA:I, and it's just kind of lazy and obvious.

It's about as much fun as a tabletop GM whose default answer is "no" and never lets the players' plans succeed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Also future games don't have to make the Inquisition dealing with all the poo poo in Thedas at once. We've got Tevinter, Qunari, Rivain, Orlais, Nevarra, Ferelden, and Antiva, and those are close by. Then there's the Anderfels and the Free Marches. You can keep the Inquisition "big" but still deal with a single country's problems in depth, narrowing the scale and making a tighter game. Like Tevinter vs Qunari. There's a lot of potential there. Stop a war/pick a side/help them to destroy each other so you can swoop in and pick up the pieces as options. The Inquisition is a large force untethered to any nation, but it's not big enough to fight off the whole continent so "omg we're gonna end up evil and take over the world let's burn it down" isn't necessary.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was expecting them to have more than that one throwaway line of Leliana's before you meet Morrigan. It's entirely possible that I missed some side thing but they never say a word to each other over the plot. It makes no sense that they'd have no comment at all.

Probably because it's possible to never recruit Leliana at all in DAO, so they didn't want to have a lot of their dialogue be contingent on their knowing each other.

They do talk to each other right before the Arbor Wilds very briefly during the war meeting.

Also it's been ten years since they've seen each other, they probably let most of the stuff go.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So I forgot to pick up Iron Bull's unique helmet from the chest during his companion quest. Can I still return to the area and grab it, or is it lost forever?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Why does my yellow quality crafted light armor lack upgrade slots. Is that from the schematic?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably because it's possible to never recruit Leliana at all in DAO, so they didn't want to have a lot of their dialogue be contingent on their knowing each other.

They do talk to each other right before the Arbor Wilds very briefly during the war meeting.

Also it's been ten years since they've seen each other, they probably let most of the stuff go.

Leliana's one line before the Winter Palace about Morrigan specifically implies that they know each other and Leliana does not like her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This kind of thing is specifically why I feel Bioware should ease off the game importing and compulsive need to reference choices from previous games. Leliana and the Warden may never have met. Morrigan may not have a child. Alistair may be dead. Either Bioware stops offering so many "significant" choices, they get much better at pruning plot branches, or they let each game breathe on its own without continually invoking its predecessors.

I think option three is the best for making each individual game better.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cythereal posted:

This kind of thing is specifically why I feel Bioware should ease off the game importing and compulsive need to reference choices from previous games. Leliana and the Warden may never have met. Morrigan may not have a child. Alistair may be dead. Either Bioware stops offering so many "significant" choices, they get much better at pruning plot branches, or they let each game breathe on its own without continually invoking its predecessors.

I think option three is the best for making each individual game better.

I'd tend to agree, it seems strange that they're so eager to invoke previous games and simultaneously saying that they don't want to make any particular ending canon while making certain outcomes definitely non-canon when they can't fit it into the story (Leiliana is still alive even if you kill her in the Temple of Sacred Ashes, Dagna still becomes an Arcanist even if you crush her dreams and convince her to stay home). If they're not going to have your previous choices in game have anything more than an easter egg effect, there's not much point and they might as well just go with canon endings so they don't have to tiptoe around the events of previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I'd actually like it if the next Dragon Age was set far away from Southern Thedas (somewhere like the Anderfels maybe) and have no references to previous characters at all, a clean slate.

• Locked thread