Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Tracula posted:

My favorite little thing is that he makes fun of how Moore dresses. I'd take an awesome looking crazy hobo over some moron wearing aviators indoors any day.

I'm sorry, did you mean awesome-looking crazy ARISTOCRATIC hobo? This is Alan Moore at his own wedding, with his old friend Neal Gaiman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tracula posted:

I'd take an awesome looking crazy hobo over some moron wearing aviators indoors any day.

Yea, I'm pretty sure Alan Moore isn't playing a character unlike pretty much all internet critics. He's like legitimately that crazy, and he gets mad props for that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My favorite quote from Alan Moore:

quote:

" I wanted to … make [Rorschach] as like, ‘this is what Batman would be in the real world’. But I have forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans, ‘smelling’, ‘not having a girlfriend’, these are actually kind of heroic! So Rorschach became the most popular character in Watchmen. I made him to be a bad example. But I have people come up to me in the street and saying: ‘I AM Rorschach. That is MY story’. And I’d be thinking: ‘Yeah, great. Could you just, like, keep away from me, never come anywhere near me again as long as I live?’"

-Alan Moore

When the crazy hobo comic writer tells you to stay away from him, you've got a winner. :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No one should ever identify with Roarschach, his whole thing is being a gross conspiracy theory crazy man. However, given your other character choices, I can totally see him being your favorite.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rebochan posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure Alan Moore isn't playing a character unlike pretty much all internet critics. He's like legitimately that crazy, and he gets mad props for that.

wikipedia posted:

Following his "coming out" as a magician in 1993, the English comic book writer and occultist Alan Moore has declared himself a devotee of Glycon, and has cheerfully admitted in interviews the absurdity of worshiping a probable fraud. Moore has declared he considers all ideas (including fictions) in some sense, "real". He has performed spoken word under the name of the Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels. With Steve Moore, Alan Moore is preparing a book — entitled The Moon and Serpent Bumper Book of Magic, which will detail the history of magic, and particularly the histories of both Alexander and Glycon.

Alan Moore loving rules.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I don't care for Alan Moore, personally :shrug:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Any thoughts on Razorfist in this thread? He's a decently witty/smug/funny metalhead crossed with the early eras of Zero Punctuation and Nostalgia Critic imho.

Shadow of Mordor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QP_sHJ5UHU
Street Fighter 2 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Idrksk_55o

He ripped on the Amazing Atheist recently so I automatically was interested in him. #drama :sissies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1X-UH3GOQ

Speaking of Metalhead reviewers, There's also AlphaOmegaSin http://youtu.be/qqrLPp6n81Y Although he talks more about the gaming industry than reviews games.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

FrankenVonVogler posted:

Somebody I know is making a short series about film appreciation and elitism, thought some people in this thread might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NsVB7zvPd8

I liked the script and the editing of this show, but your friend should work on her voiceovers, which are too fast and mumbly.

In other news, I commented on a Supergirl fanfilm on Cheapskate Live! a few weeks ago, and the creators of the fanfilm sent me an angry message and a DMCA takedown notice. Pot, kettle, glass house.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

echopapa posted:

I liked the script and the editing of this show, but your friend should work on her voiceovers, which are too fast and mumbly.

I was gonna say the sorta same thing. Show seems neat but she needs to speak up and maybe invest in a better microphone.

Gianthogweed posted:

Speaking of Metalhead reviewers, There's also AlphaOmegaSin http://youtu.be/qqrLPp6n81Y Although he talks more about the gaming industry than reviews games.

His stuff is usually okay but he's the sort who's gone on long rants about Anita so your mileage may vary in terms of enjoying him.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I hope Game Grumps beat Zelda 2 without cheating at the end.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't care for Alan Moore, personally :shrug:

Reminds me Frank Miller but with a much more benign form of insanity. A guy who did his greatest stuff in the 80's and has been coasting on it for nigh 30 years.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Sometimes I just want to get all the "certified weird" personalities to work on a project together. Just get Hideo Kojima, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, etc etc to work on some giant mixed media franchise and watch the fireworks.

It's probably just be terrible, or even "good but inoffensive" because none of them would be able to have complete control which would severely reign in their individual quirks, but still.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jsor posted:

Sometimes I just want to get all the "certified weird" personalities to work on a project together. Just get Hideo Kojima, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, etc etc to work on some giant mixed media franchise and watch the fireworks.

It's probably just be terrible, or even "good but inoffensive" because none of them would be able to have complete control which would severely reign in their individual quirks, but still.
Don't let Miller anywhere near anything. Dude's a loving reprobate.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't he the guy who writes his female characters as some kind of hooker?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Meh, join the club. Here's Frank Miller's special crazy:
http://io9.com/5845828/frank-millers-holy-terror-isnt-just-a-bad-comic--its-a-bad-propaganda-comic

He also wrote an angry blog post a few years back about how hippies and dumb liberal kids these days weren't supporting the forever war on terror enough. And specifically called out the nerds who made him famous as being total losers who hate America if they didn't want to invade more countries etc etc. I tried to find it but it looks like he deleted it.

e: there's a copy of it in here http://io9.com/5859038/frank-miller-slams-occupy-wall-street-becomes-a-parody-of-himself

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 28, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I hope Danny uses the shield spell once or twice

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I want to know how the hell he has so much trouble with the various shield guys. You don't have to jump to hit them. Their shield clearly moves.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I hope Danny uses the shield spell once or twice

Yeah I was thinking exactly this during the last two videos. It's the most useful spell especially in the final area.

Gyges posted:

I want to know how the hell he has so much trouble with the various shield guys. You don't have to jump to hit them. Their shield clearly moves.

What's funny is that the jump trick works on the lizardmen (not the birds) but he seems to think it only works on the darknutz.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Frank Miller is insanely loving racist these days too. Go watching Linkara's Holy Terror review for evidence. To be fair he always had some fascist leanings too as evidenced in the genuinely good Dark Knight Returns.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Double post but this deserves it's own: A Nod to Leonard Nimoy

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Tracula posted:

I was gonna say the sorta same thing. Show seems neat but she needs to speak up and maybe invest in a better microphone.

His stuff is usually okay but he's the sort who's gone on long rants about Anita so your mileage may vary in terms of enjoying him.

He did two videos on Anita. One in reaction to that ABC story on her in which she was bringing attention to all the harassment she was receiving from the gamergate controversy. And the other in reaction to the tweet she made in which she called him (among others) out in reaction to the video he made about her in reaction to the story that ABC made about her in reaction to the harassment she was receiving as a result of the gamergate controversy. Isn't internet drama wonderful?

http://youtu.be/gAyncf3DBUQ
http://youtu.be/bhDTtO_lDTs
http://youtu.be/mhFCdQjthxo

Edit: actually, it does look like there was a third video he posted about her earlier last year, my bad. http://youtu.be/V8Dc7fnGPcA
he has a son! http://youtu.be/eeFZ9LgNrw4

I never much liked Anita's videos either, but I do think she gets way more hate than she deserves. Still, she is probably making more money than most of the internet reviewers out there.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 28, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Tracula posted:

Double post but this deserves it's own: A Nod to Leonard Nimoy

I still can't believe he's gone. I guess that rules out the possibility of an old Kirk/Spock reunion in the next Star Trek film :(.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
All I know about Anita is that I thought her videos were interesting until she decided to focus entirely on video games. I mean I think a tropes vs women in video games series was a great idea but my guess was her original intention was to just make a few episodes and then move onto another anime please anita :lol: subject. Then she became the face of feminism after the harassment and struck gold so I doubt she ever will. The only critique I have is that her videos are so far apart I barely remember what the previous one was about and they're so boring I have to force myself to make it through even when I'm only listening to the audio. I never made it through the last one because it was just so god drat boring. Video games can be sexist I get it, I don't think I need to watch another one.

I know it's hilarious that she makes fedoras, manchildren and literal children cry over fem101 and tv tropes but that horse has been absolutely deatomoized.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 28, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

All I know about Anita is that I thought her videos were interesting until she decided to focus entirely on video games. My guess was her original intention was to just make a few episodes and then move onto another subject (anime please) but then she struck gold so I doubt she ever will. The only critique I have is that her videos are so far apart I barely remember what the previous one was about and they're so boring I have to force myself to make it through even when I'm only listening to the audio. I never made it through the last one because it was just so boring. Video games can be sexist I get it.

I know it's hilarious that she makes fedoras, manchildren and literal children cry over fem101 and tv tropes but that horse has been absolutely deatomoized.

It still can be entertaining, and I think it's what's made her so famous. She may be the most hated person on youtube.

edit:

Looks like she's in the news again. This time MSNBC

http://youtu.be/N7Wnv5HjqHM

Brace yourselves for another GG backlash.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 1, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You can see what happened on her kickstarter. She asked for a pretty modest amount of money to do something like 5 videos, and after 4chan first went after her and the story was picked up, the kickstarter got something like 100 times as much money as she requested, so she expanded the series to use up all the money--she hired an intern, planned more videos, made them longer, and maybe got better equipment.

As far as I know, she hasn't gotten or asked for more money since the kickstarter ended and has sunk all that money back into her video series, for which she has released financial records.

Do kickstarters have to document how they spend the money, or have there been scams where people pocket some of it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Once a kickstarter gets their money, they are in no responsibility to actually produce on the whatever you put money for.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That seems like something that will eventually destroy kickstarter. I'm shocked there haven't been more high-profile frauds. I actually can't think of a single one.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Do kickstarters have to document how they spend the money, or have there been scams where people pocket some of it?

I've only given money to one successful kickstarter but after hearing about Doobie's Dog House my impression is that there's very little protections for the backers.

Not sure why anyone has an issue with Anita. I mean if it turns out she really did just scam a bunch of "white knights"/nerds/whatever that would just make me like her more. I just think her current series is boring and shallow. I convinced myself otherwise in the past but looking back I think the controversy around her was far more entertaining/interesting than her actual work.

Hopefully if she does move away from games she'll get back to doing more lighthearted stuff

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems like something that will eventually destroy kickstarter. I'm shocked there haven't been more high-profile frauds. I actually can't think of a single one.

That's because the super high price kickstarters that get their money are either from companies/people with previous recognized work (Obsidian, Double Fine) or have playable demos and detailed explanations on where the money goes. But mostly people that have done previous work known to be reliable.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Was it an early access game or a kickstarter game that Double Fine abandoned?

edit: early access apparently.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jack Gladney posted:

I think the problem most Kickstarter projects have is with proper money management.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Oh I remembered one that went bust:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/221518/Developer_of_cancelled_Yogscast_game_reveals_where_the_money_went.php

quote:

Notably, the studio decided to pay 6 different developers a lump sum of $35k/apiece upfront in exchange for their work on the project. This proved troublesome when, after roughly two weeks of work on the game, one developer left his day job at another developer to accept a job at a new studio with a contract that prevented him from working on Yogventures.

He allegedly refused to return his payment, and the loss of that $35k reportedly caused a falling out between Winterkewl and Yogscast that led to the developer returning the remaining ~$150,000 to the YouTubers so that Yogscast could manage the fulfillment of backer rewards and the hiring of another developer.

Also I never paid much attention to Star Citizen but goons often refer to that as a scam.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 28, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jack Gladney posted:

A lot of people are treating Kickstarter as pre-order service or an investment opportunity, but what you are doing is actually donating money to a person and the promise to do there best to complete their project. But there are really no legal obligation.

Kickstarter is a good service if you want to realize a project that wont produce any profit, but way to many people use it to get the seed money for a business.

e X fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 28, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The only thing I have ever kickstarted and ever will kickstart is Barkley 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sage finishes off Ninja month.

And he brings up a good point. How many drat times do anime just throw the line "you bastard!" in as filler dialogue?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sage finishes off Ninja month.

And he brings up a good point. How many drat times do anime just throw the line "you bastard!" in as filler dialogue?

Ye olde standard dub substitution for "KONO YARO~~~~~!" which is itself an overused exclamation of hatred. Literally translated it's just a third-person way of referring to a guy, but it's the harshness and informality that basically makes it like swearing at someone. If I recall.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 28, 2015

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Gyges posted:

No one should ever identify with Roarschach, his whole thing is being a gross conspiracy theory crazy man. However, given your other character choices, I can totally see him being your favorite.

When I read Watchmen for the first time, as a teenager, I totally thought Adrian Veidt was The Coolest Dude Ever. Not sure if that's any better. :ohdear:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I liked Nite Owl, which is probably the safest, most well-adjusted option.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked Rorschach's psychiatrist. In the end even after he turned into a cynical bastard, he realized he still needed to help people just because it was the right thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rorschach was the cool tragic badass, and a favorite of mine and probably a lot of others, but I identified mostly with Nite-Owl. I think I liked the old Nite-Owl the best though. I liked reading the Under the Hood backstory. I was disappointed when I saw the movie and a lot of that stuff was cut out.

• Locked thread