Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Gonna be honest, never played a monk, I've just used the multiclass feat that gives their unarmed damage feature on a brawler fighter so I can suplex things harder without having to carry a sword around. So from that perspective they're great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

What is everyone's opinion of the Monk class? I've got a rare opportunity to actually play a character myself coming up, and the sheer array of mobility options + punching LOTS of people spontaneously appealed to me. I've been looking for builds, and most people seem to be of the opinion that Monks aren't that huge on damage compared to other Strikers, but they're by far the most mobile and great at spreading damage among multiple targets.

I've played with the idea of playing a Monk as a completely nuts vigilante type, who punches so hard the air pressure alone wrecks people (hence all the burst type attacks). Monk relies heavily on Dex, though; what would be the best ways to use a high Strength mod as well? (Aside from that Stone Fist Flurry of Blows ability.)

Monks are awesome, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, incredibly complicated, and don't work anything like you think they will. They don't really come into their own as strikers until you are able to take the powers that let you use an attack as part of your move action, which is paragon tier, but otherwise they are fine.

Also, you will never, ever, ever use your monk-unarmed strike if you are using a monk right.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

What is everyone's opinion of the Monk class? I've got a rare opportunity to actually play a character myself coming up, and the sheer array of mobility options + punching LOTS of people spontaneously appealed to me. I've been looking for builds, and most people seem to be of the opinion that Monks aren't that huge on damage compared to other Strikers, but they're by far the most mobile and great at spreading damage among multiple targets.

I've played with the idea of playing a Monk as a completely nuts vigilante type, who punches so hard the air pressure alone wrecks people (hence all the burst type attacks). Monk relies heavily on Dex, though; what would be the best ways to use a high Strength mod as well? (Aside from that Stone Fist Flurry of Blows ability.)

I think they're one of the most fun classes to play. Having the ability to trade your flurry damage for inflicting ongoing fire is also pretty great -- you punch the air so hard that the air pressure heats the target to the point of combustion.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Monk is decent, has some neat secondary options, very mobile. Not top tier, but certainly solid.

I want to play a monk again sometime.

Don't be fooled, though, an optimal monk will have weapons in both hands. Ideally, at least three hands.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

What is everyone's opinion of the Monk class?

The big thing is the Striker label is misleading, 'cause they play more like controllers. Other than that they're a solid class.

Also yea, you won't end up actually using your Unarmed Strike, because all your powers are Implement. iirc it's an artifact of the monk being pulled in a couple different directions during the design process.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Monks are definitely mislabeled controllers, but in the best way. Like being an epic tier Centered Breath monk with bard MC to take the feat where you can teleport anyone you would otherwise slide, and rearranging every fight to make a convenient 3x3 for everyone else's bursts and blasts. The best way.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
You still use it for OAs though right? Or granted MBAs, although those are probably better off going to someone else.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Flame112 posted:

You still use it for OAs though right? Or granted MBAs, although those are probably better off going to someone else.

Nope, you don't use unarmed strike for anything. Generally speaking your MBA is going to suck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Nope, you don't use unarmed strike for anything. Generally speaking your MBA is going to suck.

Actually, not so much - there are now some gloves you can use to make it DEX based once per turn, which means it's actually OK if you're using a Ki Focus, which you normally should be. E: Babau Gauntlets.

But, see above comment about using weapons. Every monk should have at least two weapons in hand at all times, because the feats that do stuff to flurry rely on it and are good. Starblade Flurry, Crashing Tempest Style, that sickle one, etc etc.

Worth looking up Master Pei Mei on the WotC site - which shows how (IIRC) CB monks can actually be very good controllers.

Monks are OK strikers, but not exceptional, and only if your DM isn't an idiot when reading the powers which allow you to use the attack as part of the move action bit.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 27, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I had one of my most fun games ever playing a monk(invoker multiclass feat), I just looked him up:

Shirai of the Mountains, level 24
Elf, Monk, Devoted Orator, Master of Moments
Build: Centered Breath Monk
Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath
Background: Elf - Urban Elf (+2 to Thievery)

Class Abilities:

Monk
Centered Breath Flurry of Blows: (1/round 2+Wisdom mod damage to all adjacent targets and slide 1, no action effect triggered by hitting with a power)
Mental Equilibrium: +3 Fortitude save

Devoted Orator
Brilliant Rhetoric: Replace Charisma modifier with Intelligence modifier when making diplomacy checks (lol)
Fearsome Oration: When spending an action point to take an extra action, can push or pull all enemies within 5 squares Int mod in squares.
Thundering Prayer: Add 1/2 Int mod in thunder damage to burst or blast powers, also can add Push 1. Power gains Thunder keyword.

Master of Moments:
Consummate Traveler: Know and can master travel rituals. +5 to skill checks relating to travel rituals. 1/day can use a travel ritual without using/expending components.
Maximized Time: Can expend an action point to gain an extra standard action, move action, and minor action instead of only a standard action.
Bountiful Seconds: Gain an extra minor action on each turn. Can spend two minor actions to gain a move action. Also, master and perform any travel ritual, regardless of level.

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 27, Int 14, Wis 22, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 39 Fort: 35 Reflex: 38 Will: 38
HP: 139 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 34

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +25, Acrobatics +25, Thievery +27, Stealth +30, Religion +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +18, Endurance +13, Heal +18, History +14, Insight +18, Intimidate +12, Nature +20, Streetwise +12, Athletics +13

FEATS
Level 1: Deadly Draw
Level 2: Coordinated Explosion
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate dagger)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 8: Nimble Blade
Level 10: Acolyte of Divine Secrets
Level 11: Starblade Flurry
Level 12: Defensive Advantage
Level 14: Uncanny Dodge
Level 16: Resounding Thunder
Level 18: Improved Defenses
Level 20: Roll With It
Level 21: Centered Master
Level 22: Long Step
Level 24: Form Mastery

POWERS
Acolyte of Divine Secrets: Visions of Blood
Monk at-will 1: Five Storms
Monk at-will 1: Steel Wind
Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
Monk daily 1: Masterful Spiral
Monk utility 2: Agile Recovery
Monk encounter 3: Eternal Mountain
Monk daily 5: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
Monk utility 6: Centered Defense
Monk encounter 7: Grasping Tide
Monk daily 9: Crane Dance
Monk utility 10: Spot Weakness
Devoted Orator Encounter 11: Legion Rebuke
Devoted Orator Utility 12: Chastisement
Monk encounter 13: Furious Bull (replaces Eternal Mountain)
Monk daily 15: Mithral Tornado (replaces Spinning Leopard Maneuver)
Monk utility 16: Diamond Mind
Monk encounter 17: Steps of Grasping Fire (replaces Drunken Monkey)
Monk daily 19: Rising Dragon Fire (replaces Masterful Spiral)
Devoted Orator 20: Thunderous Oration
Monk utility 22: Indomitable Technique
Monk encounter 23: Legion of One (replaces Grasping Tide)

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Subtle Accurate dagger +5, Piwafwi +5, Efreetweave Armor of Cleansing +5, Boots of Speed (epic tier), Hero's Gauntlets (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier) (2), Rhythm Blade Resonating dagger +4, Ring of Action Reversal (paragon tier), Essence of the Wisp (epic tier), Bloodhound Bracers (paragon tier)

There we go. He's mostly built around being accurate and hopefully not dying too much. When he does draw too much attention he can weather some fairly fierce attacks with his safety utilities, including Indomitable Technique, which is a simple daily of "Trigger: You have zero or less HP: Free Action - Spend a healing surge and regain HP to your bloodied value" which is fairly nice. Then he runs away. And I mean RUNS away. Using the Full Discipline movement technique of Steel Wind, he runs 11 squares and ends a mark on himself. If he trades both his minors for a move action, that's 22 squares and still gets to launch a Close Blast 3 for 2D8+18 and flurry for another 8 or so to everyone adjacent and one guy within 5, all of whom suffer a Slide 2 and grant him combat advantage until the end of his next turn.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Internalize the Basic Kata fixed that, I thought. Although it does cost you a feat to do so.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I really like my epic hybrid sorcerer| bard/rogue. Storm soul, I blow things up all day every day and if there are no large clumps of enemies to rain death upon I just hand out actions like candy. The three classes together mean I have absolutely fantastic skill coverage.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's awesome having players that are loving PUMPED about D&D in the way only newbies can be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question about the reward/treasure system of the game. Say I'm generating treasure for four level 1 characters. The DMG's Heroic Tier Treasure Parcels Table for party level 1 states:

quote:

1. Magic item, level 5
2. Magic item, level 4
3. Magic item, level 3
4. Magic item, level 2
5. 200 gp or its gem equivalent, or 2 potions of healing + 100 gp
6. 180 gp or its gem equivalent, or 1 potion of healing + 130 gp
7. 120 gp or its gem equivalent, or 1 potion of healing + 70 gp
8. 120 gp or its gem equivalent
9. 60 gp, or 1 potion of healing + 10 gp
10. 40 gp

Since it's just 4 characters, I'm supposed to drop parcel 3

If I'm using Inherent Bonuses, I'm supposed to drop parcel 1 and parcel 4

That leaves me with just

quote:

2. Magic item, level 4
5. 200 gp or its gem equivalent, or 2 potions of healing + 100 gp
6. 180 gp or its gem equivalent, or 1 potion of healing + 130 gp
7. 120 gp or its gem equivalent, or 1 potion of healing + 70 gp
8. 120 gp or its gem equivalent
9. 60 gp, or 1 potion of healing + 10 gp
10. 40 gp

So over the course of the party's trip from level 1 to level 2, they're going to gain a total of a single level 4 magic item and 720 gp. I can dole this out little by little, such as parcel 7 after an encounter and parcel 10 over another encounter, and then also combine treasures to create a hoard, such as parcels 5, 6, 8 and 9 at the end of the party's quest.

I'm also supposed to solicit suggestions or a wishlist from players to get an idea of what they want the level 4 magic item to be (or derive what it should be based on their characters and their interests/build), and then the idea is that the rest of the party will use the 720 gp to buy the other magic items that they want.

Did I get all that right?

Finally, is it supposed to be 720 gp split between the whole party (whether evenly or however they want to split it per their story), or 720 gp per player?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm also supposed to solicit suggestions or a wishlist from players to get an idea of what they want the level 4 magic item to be (or derive what it should be based on their characters and their interests/build), and then the idea is that the rest of the party will use the 720 gp to buy the other magic items that they want.

Did I get all that right?

Finally, is it supposed to be 720 gp split between the whole party (whether evenly or however they want to split it per their story), or 720 gp per player?
That sounds about right, yeah. And the gold is split among the party.

But the real answer is that it depends a lot on the kind of campaign you're running. In their original context, inherent bonuses were intended as a fix for low magic settings, which is why they remove a bunch of magic items by default.

If that's not what you're running, feel free to add those back in. Most of us just use IB to make sure none of the player's numbers fall through the cracks. Or to go off the parcel rails completely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Treasure parcels are a very formalized system for making roughly sure that players don't fall behind on the Red Queen's Race that is 4e equipment.

If you're using IBs, you can kind of disregard it entirely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For what it's worth there are alternative treasure parcel generation rules in the Rules Compendium, and they come out to about the same amount of magic items per level and don't have you remove any because of inherent bonuses. Then again the RC doesn't mention inherent bonuses at all anywhere (and if there's another Essentials book that does, and that does tell you to give out less items, uh, please let me know because then I've given my party about three times what they should have had).

For the record the DMG's rules are still fine although the RC is extremely nice to have.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
IIRC, the RC treasure rules are a return to randomly rolled treasure, in line with the general trend of Essentials trying to make 4e look more like earlier editions. So they basically took the tables above and added some variance.

And I'm pretty sure the only places IBs show up are DMG2 and Dark Sun. It's probably too "gamey" to have been included in anything post-Essentials.

But like Poison Mushroom said, once you turn on IB, the need to balance treasure pretty much goes out the window. If you and your players are happy with the number of toys they're getting then you're doing just fine.

There are really only two issues you can run into once IBs are on:

a) On the high end, players could potentially get access to things a half-tier early. Which isn't a huge deal, normally it's just an extra +1.

b) On the low end, there are some builds that rely on having a few key magic items. An extreme example would be one of the charged based builds. If you think you've got some people that will hit the char-op boards for ideas, it might not be a bad plan to be up front with your players if you're doing a low-magic game (including the modified IB parcels).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

IIRC, the RC treasure rules are a return to randomly rolled treasure, in line with the general trend of Essentials trying to make 4e look more like earlier editions. So they basically took the tables above and added some variance.

And I'm pretty sure the only places IBs show up are DMG2 and Dark Sun. It's probably too "gamey" to have been included in anything post-Essentials.

But like Poison Mushroom said, once you turn on IB, the need to balance treasure pretty much goes out the window. If you and your players are happy with the number of toys they're getting then you're doing just fine.

There are really only two issues you can run into once IBs are on:

a) On the high end, players could potentially get access to things a half-tier early. Which isn't a huge deal, normally it's just an extra +1.

b) On the low end, there are some builds that rely on having a few key magic items. An extreme example would be one of the charged based builds. If you think you've got some people that will hit the char-op boards for ideas, it might not be a bad plan to be up front with your players if you're doing a low-magic game (including the modified IB parcels).

Also, there are items whose pluses would be superseded by Inherent Bonuses, but whose effects are tied to the item's actual pluses, or whose effects grow in tiers. We ruled that players got the better version of such items when the players reached the item's level, which is later than they COULD have gotten the new item as random loot, but seemed fair.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Pretty much. I mean they dressed it up nicely and you can find gold, gems or art objects but the last two are just money by another name, so every parcel boils down to "X GP and Y magic items" (where X and Y can well be 0). It's kind of fun though. I enjoy thinking of little background details when art objects come up, and I really like rolling for items on my group's wishlist and getting inspiration for encounters from that. Like the time the rolls came out with three different pairs of magic gloves and I thought, obviously the dungeon boss is something with six arms.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the answers - a campaign I had in mind isn't specifically supposed to be low-magic, but I thought of using IB just to make sure the players are less susceptible to loot gaffes on my part.

I also did see the loot tables from RC/Essentials, but the random rolling didn't sit well with me.

Next question: the 4e games I've seen so far give players free feats, which I assume are supposed to be spent on the 'math fix' feats. Which are those, specifically? I've seen Melee Training, but I don't know the exact names of the others, especially since Essentials has its own versions of the math fix feats.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for the answers - a campaign I had in mind isn't specifically supposed to be low-magic, but I thought of using IB just to make sure the players are less susceptible to loot gaffes on my part.

I also did see the loot tables from RC/Essentials, but the random rolling didn't sit well with me.

Next question: the 4e games I've seen so far give players free feats, which I assume are supposed to be spent on the 'math fix' feats. Which are those, specifically? I've seen Melee Training, but I don't know the exact names of the others, especially since Essentials has its own versions of the math fix feats.

An Expertise Feat, a Focus Feat and Improved Defenses

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I've never seen anyone give free focus feats.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
"X Expertise," where X is a given weapon group (Light Blade Expertise, Heavy Blade Expertise) or some other descriptor (Devout Expertise), for to-hit scaling. This is what you'll find in Essentials; used to be Weapon Expertise (Light Blade) & so on, those only give the +attack.

Improved Defenses for NAD scaling.

Melee Training is so classes have MBAs for OAs that aren't total poo poo (not so much a math fix as it is a feature fix for some defenders or melee dudes who aren't Str based or don't have an in-class MBA like Eldritch Strike).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, that's basically the rationale behind the thread pushing IBs so hard. It's kind of a lot of work to make sure everyone keeps their 3 main slots up to date. IBs make life much simpler overall.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The usual suspects are Expertise (the non-Essentials ones without the extra riders) to fix +hit math and Improved Defenses to fix NADs (non-armor defenses). AC gets fixed by the different armor tiers they shoehorned in.

If you want a specific feat I usually just tell players they can take as many instances of Versatile Expertise as they want. That covers all the bases.

Plus, the +hit math doesn't actually start to fall behind until level 5, so if you don't want to overload your players with house rules off the bat, it's easy enough to grant as a story reward around then. Same thing with Improved Defenses.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Since there's neither item crafting nor wish lists in my current game, I just let magic items level when inherent bonuses increase. Keeps stuff simple.

Magic items can be fun, but by mid levels, my players are already swimming in options and modifiers...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wanted to play without items, inherent bonuses only, for that exact reason. My players disagreed. That's kind of one reason I'm going with the random loot: if we're gonna do this I want to spend as little brainpower as possible on it. Just give me the wishlists and I'll roll on them and make up some reason why the Sacred Bollock Amulet is under the lichlord's doormat.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wanted to play without items, inherent bonuses only, for that exact reason. My players disagreed. That's kind of one reason I'm going with the random loot: if we're gonna do this I want to spend as little brainpower as possible on it. Just give me the wishlists and I'll roll on them and make up some reason why the Sacred Bollock Amulet is under the lichlord's doormat.

Why would you want to play without items? Like removing characters from the modifier treadmill is a good thing, so I am all for inherent bonuses, but half the fun of DND is finding cool, strange items and then wrecking face with it. Not to mention that you would have to massively weaken the enemies the team is supposed to face every level, because even outside of modifiers, characters are expected to have access to a certain amount of magical item assistance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks again for the feats advice.

One more: what do people mean when they say "background/theme: yes"?

If it wasn't already obvious I'm gearing up to try my hand at a 4e PbP

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks again for the feats advice.

One more: what do people mean when they say "background/theme: yes"?

If it wasn't already obvious I'm gearing up to try my hand at a 4e PbP

You can pick backgrounds (which usually offer minor skill bonuses or training in a skill your class doesn't normally receive) as part of character creation. Themes are like "super backgrounds" (or mini Paragon Paths if you prefer) that offer some benefits as you level from 1-10, and some extra power choices for your utility picks.

Some GMs prefer not to deal with them to make combat a little simpler (since 4e combat gets exponentially more complex as levels go up anyway), and because there are a couple of really good ones (Born Under a Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth lets you use a stat that isn't Con for your maximum HP, for example, which makes some classes less squishy than they should be).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Why would you want to play without items? Like removing characters from the modifier treadmill is a good thing, so I am all for inherent bonuses, but half the fun of DND is finding cool, strange items and then wrecking face with it. Not to mention that you would have to massively weaken the enemies the team is supposed to face every level, because even outside of modifiers, characters are expected to have access to a certain amount of magical item assistance.
Mostly because I was coming more or less fresh from a 4E game and items had become a huge pain in the rear end by the end of that. But then again that was high epic and we started fresh from level 1 now, where it's easier to manage, so it's probably a good thing my guys talked me back into it. I would have included magic items as well, just waaaay less frequently and more tuned towards the current situation than just because they get four per level. Finding a flame sword would have been the climax of traversing the fire dungeon rather than "that dude we killed had one, sweet", that sort of thing. Of course I can still do that by flavouring the upcoming encounters after the loot, so it's moot, really.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

If I wanted to run the original Ravenloft module, but in 4e for some of my friends over Spring Break, how doable would that be and has any good work been done in adopting it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm confused: The errata'd skill check DCs by level is 5/10/15 for levels 1-3 in the original DMGs, but in the Rules Compendium it's 8/12/19 for level 1.

Which should I really be using?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rules Compendium is a safer bet pretty much always.

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm confused: The errata'd skill check DCs by level is 5/10/15 for levels 1-3 in the original DMGs, but in the Rules Compendium it's 8/12/19 for level 1.

Which should I really be using?

My level 1 players would crush skill checks at the 5/10/15 level. If it's trained they get +5, so they only have to hit average to complete a hard DC. They could flip a coin to succeed if they didn't have an ability mod to add. I use the rules compendium line for winging skill checks so they can succeed untrained at a decent rate but if they're trained they won't have nearly guaranteed success.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Okay, so Zeitgeist has the finest magic item of all time. The Shoes of Reliable Style. Sure, it has a powerful at-will disguise ability. But the Property is pure gold.

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
So I've recently moved to a smaller place and I don't have room for all my 4e books anymore. Are they worth selling or should I store them for the long term? When I was still playing (dming) the character builder was pretty comprehensive so the books went unused for the most part by my players.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If you still have the CB, you can mostly get along without the player books, but it will occasionally surprise you with things which don't appear on the sheet properly and you might need to look up in game.

Best to keep the monster and DM books if you think you're likely to play again.

I don't know about resale value, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Does anyone have a link to a good essay about "what killed 4e" that isn't just gravedancing or stupid random poo poo? I wasn't able to find one using Google, and I feel this might be a topic worth writing about. One thing that I'm concerned about is that the 3.5 people are quite literally erasing reality and saying that the system failed because it was rejected en masse, when it seems to me that it died mostly from bad bloat, bad adventures, a few fundamental math problems that were easily fixed, and of course the most important thing - Mearls deciding to kill it dead because it wasn't "real D&D".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good essay about "what killed 4e" that isn't just gravedancing or stupid random poo poo? I wasn't able to find one using Google, and I feel this might be a topic worth writing about. One thing that I'm concerned about is that the 3.5 people are quite literally erasing reality and saying that the system failed because it was rejected en masse, when it seems to me that it died mostly from bad bloat, bad adventures, a few fundamental math problems that were easily fixed, and of course the most important thing - Mearls deciding to kill it dead because it wasn't "real D&D".
It died the same reason every system dies. People will only buy so many sourcebooks for a system.