Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ive met a bunch of people from most of the ivies and there was always something weird about all the yale grads

(state school grad here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

ive met a bunch of people from most of the ivies and there was always something weird about all the yale grads

the hobo slaying done as part of secret-society initiation changes a person

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

eschaton posted:

the hobo slaying done as part of secret-society initiation changes a person

all the spankings as well

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

even at my old high school where one of the football coaches/assistant principals got fired and thrown in jail for writing up girls who wouldn't gently caress him they fired the coach and the principal and people protested demanding their coaches back because got drat it football

this person that i like (even if it's only because of their role or job) couldn't possibly do anything all that bad, and if they did i'm sure it was just a minor mistake that didnt really hurt anyone and that they'll never make again, so let's just cover it up so that they don't get their lives ruined over this momentary lapse of judgement. defending a rapist, you say? well, "rape" is such a strong word, this person didn't really mean harm by it, and furthermore...

and so on. humans are really, really good at rationalizing and reinterpreting the poo poo they see to match whatever preconceptions they had.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

one of the local pgh spoarttalk guys had the best take on the olbermann/thon poo poo and they are an alum

link please

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

it was chris mueller idk if he posted it anywhere

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

it was chris mueller idk if he posted it anywhere

looks like it's here but it's blocked at work for me. ugh http://sports.cbslocal.com/audio/starkey-mueller/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

As a Millennial I posted:

looks like it's here but it's blocked at work for me. ugh http://sports.cbslocal.com/audio/starkey-mueller/

http://sports.cbslocal.com/audio/starkey-mueller/starkey-and-mueller-reaction-to-keith-olbermann-comments-on-penn-state/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

eh, still takes it too easy on them imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hey look this is why I will be asking for a fat raise in a couple months :)

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_27603953/rising-rents-and-food-costs-push-up-denver

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

graph posted:

shits bananas according to the stories my truck booker friends tell me

the russians in chicago all collude and drive prices up 3x its p funny

I used to work in truck brokerage. Every story you have heard is true.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/26/8113881/santander-uber-car-loan-illegal-repossession-veteran-cars

Yesterday, auto lender Santander Consumer USA agreed to pay at least $9.35 million to resolve the accusation that it illegally repossessed over 1,100 vehicles from active military personnel. The company is a close partner of the ride-sharing giant Uber, which funnels drivers with low credit to Santander loan officers

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Uber data breach exposed up to 50,000 driver names, licenses
BY FRANK CATALANO on February 27, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Uber is revealing a one-time breach of a database that exposed tens of thousands of current and former Uber drivers’ names and drivers’ license numbers. And it’s recommending those drivers “monitor their credit reports for fraudulent transactions or accounts.”

Katherine Tassi, Uber’s Managing Counsel of Data Privacy, issued a statement this afternoon that says last September, Uber suspected unauthorized access to one of its databases. Upon investigation, it found, “a one-time unauthorized access to an Uber database by a third party had occurred on May 13, 2014.”

While Tassi says Uber has since changed the access protocols for the database, “the unauthorized access impacted approximately 50,000 drivers across multiple states, which is a small percentage of current and former Uber driver partners.”

Uber says it’s in the process of notifying affected drivers, but that it has not received any reports of misuse of information as a result of the incident. Uber also will pay for one year of credit report monitoring.

As to the prepretator, Uber will say only that, “today we filed a lawsuit that will enable us to gather information to help identify and prosecute this unauthorized third party.”

lol, as they say

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it gets better

quote:

Katherine Tassi, Uber’s managing counsel of data privacy, said an "unauthorized third party" accessed one of Uber's driver databases on May 13, 2014. Uber discovered the breach four months later on September 17.

Tassi says Uber swiftly repaired the vulnerability in the database, which contained the names and driver's license numbers of 50,000 current and former Uber drivers, across multiple states.

On Friday [February 27, 2015], the company started alerting the drivers that were impacted by the breach, though Tassi says Uber and its drivers haven't received or noticed any abuses of the leaked information.

breach happened in may of last year, they didn't notice until september of last year, and they didn't tell anyone until today, five months after they noticed the breach and nine months after the breach happened

also interesting that they're not calling it a "hacker", but rather a "third-party", and that it was an "unauthorized access by a third-party" rather than "access by an unauthorized third-party"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also their car loan supplier is in trouble

quote:

Yesterday, auto lender Santander Consumer USA agreed to pay at least $9.35 million to resolve the accusation that it illegally repossessed over 1,100 vehicles from active military personnel. The company is a close partner of the ride-sharing giant Uber, which funnels drivers with low credit to Santander loan officers. It’s not the company’s first brush with the law: the lender holds over $40 billion in car loans and has repeatedly been the subject of criminal investigations into its subprime auto loan arm.

remember uber's "let's hire veterans" push?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

also their car loan supplier is in trouble

remember uber's "let's hire veterans" push?

lol some forums cancer posted that already but nobody noticed, because forums cancer

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
did we talk about the sushi burrito yet

http://www.businessinsider.com/sushirritos-sushi-burrito-is-sweeping-san-francisco-2014-10

quote:

Years ago, founder Peter Yen worked downtown in San Francisco and found himself craving sushi for lunch, but did not have time for a sit-down meal. Nagged by a growing concern about overfishing that was decimating the seafood population, Yen began to dream up a new way to consume sushi that was fast, fresh, affordable, portable, and environmentally conscious. The sushi burrito was born.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I have gone their a few times when I worked downtown. the geisha's kiss is p good, usually a long line though.

it's basically a giant hand roll that isn't in hand roll shape.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

so, columbusing a hand roll, but chipotle-sized

k

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PCjr sidecar posted:

so, columbusing a hand roll, but chipotle-sized

k

It's environmentally conscious.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If San Francisco were as environmentally conscious as they claim, every person there would simultaneously leap into Oakland Bay.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

If San Francisco were as environmentally conscious as they claim, every person there would simultaneously leap into Oakland Bay.

cities can be pretty good, environmentally. high population densities reduce emissions

would be more accurate to say all of palo alto and santa clara should take the long walk off the short pier. an average person in sf city limits is probably doing pretty good

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cities can be pretty good, environmentally. high population densities reduce emissions

would be more accurate to say all of palo alto and santa clara should take the long walk off the short pier. an average person in sf city limits is probably doing pretty good

just take a look at average commute times

yech

people spending 30-60 minutes one-way or worse

i'd do a lot to avoid that situation (and i have) and it's not to save the planet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

high population densities and san fran have what in common?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

San Francisco, CA — A homeless man who threw his skateboard into the windshield of an Uber driver who sped toward him in a darkened alley has been acquitted of all charges, San Francisco Public Defender Jeff Adachi announced today.

Jurors on Friday found Martin Knaak, 49, not guilty of vandalism and resisting arrest. Knaak faced up to a year in jail if convicted, said his attorney, Deputy Public Defender Eric Guttschuss.

Knaak’s trouble began shortly after 1 a.m. on Dec. 6, while walking along Moulton Street in the Marina District. A passing Uber driver in a Prius, apparently angry that Knaak had been jaywalking on a nearby street, motioned for him to walk in the crosswalk , then extended his middle finger.

Moments later, when Knaak crossed in front of the Prius at an intersection, the driver smiled and revved his motor, apparently threatening the homeless man. In response, Knaak splashed his soda onto the car. The angry driver then pursued Knaak, at times traveling down the wrong side of a street and forcing him between two parked cars before following him on foot while videotaping him.

Knaak retreated down a narrow alley. Postal trucks were parked on both sidewalks, making it necessary for him to walk in the street. Soon, headlights appeared and the Uber driver began accelerating toward Knaak. Fearing for his life, and with the speeding car a mere 30 feet away, Knaak threw his skateboard at the oncoming car and smashed its front windshield, Guttschuss said.

Knaak, shaken, called 911 and reported that a man was trying to run him over. Police arrived to find the homeless man emotional and distraught and placed him in handcuffs. Meanwhile, the Uber driver described an unprovoked attack on his vehicle. Handcuffed and on his knees, Knaak began tapping his head in frustration on a building wall. Police then pulled him to the ground by his hair, one of the officers driving her knee into Knaak’s shoulder, another injuring his thumb.

“Police made assumptions without ever hearing Mr. Knaak’s side of the story. He was the victim of a crime. He needed help,” Guttschuss said.

Knaak’s emotional testimony resonated with jurors during the three-day trial. Jurors later stated they believed the homeless man acted in self-defense.

“This was a very difficult experience for him. He called 911, hoping officers would protect him. Instead, he was arrested,” Guttschuss said.

The Uber driver also testified, claiming he did not pursue Knaak. However, the driver’s cell phone video contradicted his claims.

When the jury returned its verdict, Knaak teared up and said, “They still lied.”

Adachi said the case highlights the need to be unbiased when investigating crimes.

“As a crime victim, Mr. Knaak deserved every bit of the police response and protection that would have been afforded to a wealthy San Franciscan,” Adachi said. “What happened to him is a betrayal of justice. Fortunately, his public defender was able to end his nightmare.”

tl;dr - homeless guy fucks up a psycho uber driver's windshield with a skateboard in self defense, gets dragged through the legal system for it, makes it out ok in the end :unsmith:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
this could all be solved if they'd just legalize mowing down jaywalkers

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stringent posted:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/02/28/Study-finds-pedestrian-deaths-up-40-in-Pa/stories/201502280071

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

no dont

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i jaywalk all the time dont take that away from me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i was just joking, but now i'm starting to reconsider

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

lol it's already de-facto legal. tragic accidents happen all the time after all, nothing anybody can do to stop it.

http://cironline.org/reports/bay-area-drivers-who-kill-pedestrians-rarely-face-punishment-analysis-finds-4420 posted:

Sixty percent of the 238 motorists found to be at fault or suspected of a crime faced no criminal charges during the five-year period, CIR found in its analysis of thousands of pages of police and court records from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties.

When drivers did face criminal charges, punishment often was light. Licenses rarely were taken away. Of those charged, less than 60 percent had their driving privileges suspended or revoked for even one day, an automatic penalty in drunk driving arrests.

Forty percent of those convicted faced no more than a day in jail; 13 drivers were jailed for more than a year. By contrast, those charged in accidental shootings often serve lengthy jail terms, according to media reports.

https://www.raisethehammer.org/article/1809/kill_a_pedestrian_pay_a_$500_fine

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 1, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
dur quote isn't edit

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lol it's already de-facto legal. tragic accidents happen all the time after all, nothing anybody can do to stop it.

https://www.raisethehammer.org/article/1809/kill_a_pedestrian_pay_a_$500_fine

I was crossing a street while a car was stopped at a sign and had the driver (an off-duty cop) lean out the window and tell me to "get the gently caress outta the street". I told him to go gently caress himself and he actually parked his car and got out to argue with me.

Drivers are scum.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Stringent posted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Lol.

"Filling in all those swamps with in fill and putting up buildings full of lead paint is quite environmentally sound because..."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

219 SUX

an american tradition

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I was crossing a street while a car was stopped at a sign and had the driver (an off-duty cop) lean out the window and tell me to "get the gently caress outta the street". I told him to go gently caress himself and he actually parked his car and got out to argue with me.

Drivers are scum.

nice sage brush story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Citizen Tayne posted:

Drivers are scum.

:agreed:

they should legalize sowing the highways with mines and caltrops imho

• Locked thread