Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hrm, yeah, 9 makes sense.

What do I have to worry about carrying over from BG 1 to BG 2? Do I need to specialize Jaheira and Minsc now for them to use endgame weapons in BG 2 or does she "reset" ? Is there a list somewhere of specific items I should be collecting to prepare for the transfer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm, yeah, 9 makes sense.

What do I have to worry about carrying over from BG 1 to BG 2? Do I need to specialize Jaheira and Minsc now for them to use endgame weapons in BG 2 or does she "reset" ? Is there a list somewhere of specific items I should be collecting to prepare for the transfer?

Everyone and everything is completely reset in between games. If you import you get one of a list of underwhelming magical items that, while useful, are pretty irrelevant. Whenever I replay the series I mostly just forgo the import and recreate my character in shadowkeeper.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

There is an almost infinite amount of awesome stuff you could completely miss in planescape without a walkthrough. At least one full companion,

That's odd. I got all of the companions without the walkthrough. :confused:

Annah joined automatically, so did Morte. Dak'kon was probably mandatory, but he was easy to find, Fall-From-Grace I just had to talk to, and Ignus I just had to do the Decanter quest

Which one was supposed to be the hard one to find? I am guessing it was Ignus?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Hey, the good bg1 helmet is useful far into bg2, even into tob. It's also a default starting item in bg2, so if you don't import anything at all you still get it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Capsaicin posted:

That's odd. I got all of the companions without the walkthrough. :confused:

Annah joined automatically, so did Morte. Dak'kon was probably mandatory, but he was easy to find, Fall-From-Grace I just had to talk to, and Ignus I just had to do the Decanter quest

You can find two more.

Nordon, who's like one of those Mordon cubes that you saw in the center of the brothel

Vhailor, who's a suit of mercykiller armorl

Minor spoilers for their names and who what they are.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Capsaicin posted:

I do not believe that that was the one, but I do not want to say any more for fear that I ruin things for you. I don't even want to mention this character's name. If you ask explicitly, that's another story.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh god. There's more than I can bring around with me? :( Oh god who do I keep?!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Capsaicin posted:

Oh god. There's more than I can bring around with me? :( Oh god who do I keep?!

I have had the same problem with that game. I tend to favour the magic-using characters over the physical ones, and I do not really like Morte as a combat character but I do like him as a personality, so it is very hard for me. I tend to make The Nameless One a mage, then get Grace so that I have a priest(ess), Dak'kon, Ignus and Annah so that I have a thief of some sort. If I keep Morte, that is a full party and one rather short on muscle.

Now that I think of it, there are two other joinable NPC's that you did not mention a bit above.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

My party tends to be a mage TNO (may as well, since you really want 25 in all the mental stats anyway), and I back that up with Dakkon, Grace, Annah, Morte, and Nordom once I can, although Vhailor makes one hell of a meatshield.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How much plot is tied to each character? It looks like a lot is tied to everybody I already have except for Ignus and, to an extent, Fall From Grace.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Taliesyn posted:

My party tends to be a mage TNO (may as well, since you really want 25 in all the mental stats anyway), and I back that up with Dakkon, Grace, Annah, Morte, and Nordom once I can, although Vhailor makes one hell of a meatshield.

As I recall, there's no real reason to have INT or CHA above 21. Although, it's not like you need to pay a lot of attention to stats in Torment in general. Get Wisdom to 25 through stats and tattoos, get INT and CHA to 18+, and then do whatever you want. Once I've done the mental stats I like maxing CON for invincibility on top of my immortality.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

How much plot is tied to each character? It looks like a lot is tied to everybody I already have except for Ignus and, to an extent, Fall From Grace.

It's been a looong time since I played planescape but I seem to remember Morte, Dakkon and Vhailor having the more memorable character moments. I didn't get the other easily missable character though.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Draile posted:

As I recall, there's no real reason to have INT or CHA above 21. Although, it's not like you need to pay a lot of attention to stats in Torment in general. Get Wisdom to 25 through stats and tattoos, get INT and CHA to 18+, and then do whatever you want. Once I've done the mental stats I like maxing CON for invincibility on top of my immortality.

It's been a while, but I thought completely unlocking The Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon required 25 INT and WIS. And I could have sworn I remember some convo choices only opening at 25 CHA, but that might just be with TTO.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Morte probably has the most, followed by Dakkon.
Annah has a lot, and Grace has a good amount of history to learn.
I was never impressed by Igus' story or how it was recovered.
Vhailor seems on par with Ignus, story-wise: some history, but nothing enthralling. Interesting idea, though.
Nordom is just hugely entertaining. Also, twin crossbows.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
In BG1, what level is the best point to duel class Imoen to Mage, and a CHARNAME Swashbuckler to Mage?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Taliesyn posted:

Morte probably has the most, followed by Dakkon.
Annah has a lot, and Grace has a good amount of history to learn.
I was never impressed by Igus' story or how it was recovered.
Vhailor seems on par with Ignus, story-wise: some history, but nothing enthralling. Interesting idea, though.
Nordom is just hugely entertaining. Also, twin crossbows.

Ignus and your first spoiler are horrible characters. I don't mean badly written, just shitheads. If you talk to your first one a lot he'll almost ALWAYS attack you, the mother fucker.

Meanwhile the second spoiler is voiced by Homer Simpson and has loads of great dialogue with your other companions. Especially FFG. I feel he's the reason his race is back in the monster handbook, especially since his paticular part of it has twin crossbows!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Bring secret character #2 into Curst prison, switch secret character #2 out for secret character #1, use secret character #1 to get the game's only permanent bonus to strength that does not come from the Wish scroll (and only if you're lawful), then switch back to secret character #2 before leaving Curst prison. Problem solved!

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

Ignus and your first spoiler are horrible characters. I don't mean badly written, just shitheads. If you talk to your first one a lot he'll almost ALWAYS attack you, the mother fucker.

Meanwhile the second spoiler is voiced by Homer Simpson and has loads of great dialogue with your other companions. Especially FFG. I feel he's the reason his race is back in the monster handbook, especially since his paticular part of it has twin crossbows!

Yeah, I really dislike secret character number 1 and Ignus both. Horrible, horrible people. He does, however, make one possible ending into a complete joke. As to him attacking you if you talk with him too much: come on, it's not like you can't see that coming a mile away.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
So in BG:EE, I've got a level 5 Blade with 1 pip in longbow, longsword, and dagger. I'm at the point where I can afford the Dagger of Venom +2 or the Light Crossbow of Speed (which I would give to Imoen). Is the Dagger of Venom better than Varscona, the +2 longsword with 1 cold damage? I'm just not sure if I should blow all this money on a dagger when I have a strong longsword.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Cephas posted:

So in BG:EE, I've got a level 5 Blade with 1 pip in longbow, longsword, and dagger. I'm at the point where I can afford the Dagger of Venom +2 or the Light Crossbow of Speed (which I would give to Imoen). Is the Dagger of Venom better than Varscona, the +2 longsword with 1 cold damage? I'm just not sure if I should blow all this money on a dagger when I have a strong longsword.

Dagger of Venom is a pretty great weapon, and can deal with many tough enemies. I would go with that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is there a time limit on any of Neera's stuff in bg2? I recruited her from her high forest zone but I don't want to explore it yet as I haven't assembled my whole party. I have to go get Mazzy and Valygar as those are the two I want to use. I don't want Neera to start bitching or leave, though.
She wants me to find her wild mage enclave or whatever.

I'm doing an Ironman too so I don't want to risk anything until my whole party is assembled.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The completionist in me is now just ruined from playing PST now. There are SO many options. Is there any way to build your character towards evil? I've been Neutral good so far.

I need more money to buy all the weird stuff at Vrischka's.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there a time limit on any of Neera's stuff in bg2? I recruited her from her high forest zone but I don't want to explore it yet as I haven't assembled my whole party. I have to go get Mazzy and Valygar as those are the two I want to use. I don't want Neera to start bitching or leave, though.
She wants me to find her wild mage enclave or whatever.

I'm doing an Ironman too so I don't want to risk anything until my whole party is assembled.

Neera might leave if you haven't found the Hidden Camp yet. Do that and you should be okay. Getting to the camp isn't a big deal; most of her content comes after that point.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Capsaicin posted:

The completionist in me is now just ruined from playing PST now. There are SO many options. Is there any way to build your character towards evil? I've been Neutral good so far.

You could actually accomplish both and sell your companions into slavery to Vrischka, thereby having more money to buy her stuff.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Just picked up BG2 again since before xmas when I kept loving up on Kangaxx.

Killed him on the second try. No scroll cheesing, just crowded him with summons and had Edwin sit back and throw minute meteors at him while he burned his Imprisonments on ettercaps and sword spiders. Korgan helped too since he's immune with Enrage.

Anyway, felt real good killing that rear end in a top hat and the ring owns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Capsaicin posted:

Oh god, yes.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

Fair warning to you....PS:T allows you to be truly *evil*. Not cartoonish BG-style "HAHAHA I KILL YOU NOW" evil, we're talking "Okay so I just sold you into slavery, by the way I never actually loved you and your puppy I told you was lost? I burned it to death and sold the ashes for drug money" evil.

It gets pretty soul-crushing at some points.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Draile posted:

Bring secret character #2 into Curst prison, switch secret character #2 out for secret character #1, use secret character #1 to get the game's only permanent bonus to strength that does not come from the Wish scroll (and only if you're lawful), then switch back to secret character #2 before leaving Curst prison. Problem solved!

I actually think Secret Character #1 has some of the best character moments in the game, but they're not always easy to find, and I think some of them require Unfinished Business/fixpack type fixes to access them consistently.

One of my favorite character moments in video games came when I got Trias to seek Redemption and Vhailor straight-up murdered him anyway based on his medieval conception of justice. Another big realization is when It comes out that the whole reason Vhailor didn't die properly and is a spectre inhabiting a suit of armor is that there's one criminal he hasn't hunted down yet, a criminal who gained immortality by trading an innocent person's life for their own every time they would die, you. And during the endgame It's pretty sick how he can hulk out if you explain that your rogue mortality is what's responsible for this.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm starting up BG:EE again and I was wondering what party set-up would be good for a neutral good party? I was thinking maybe a few of the new characters since I never really gave them a try.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I actually think Secret Character #1 has some of the best character moments in the game, but they're not always easy to find, and I think some of them require Unfinished Business/fixpack type fixes to access them consistently.

One of my favorite character moments in video games came when I got Trias to seek Redemption and Vhailor straight-up murdered him anyway based on his medieval conception of justice. Another big realization is when It comes out that the whole reason Vhailor didn't die properly and is a spectre inhabiting a suit of armor is that there's one criminal he hasn't hunted down yet, a criminal who gained immortality by trading an innocent person's life for their own every time they would die, you. And during the endgame It's pretty sick how he can hulk out if you explain that your rogue mortality is what's responsible for this.

If you see the right text, The Nameless One has done some impossibly bad things beyond words. If I am not mistaken, <massive spoilers> Nameless is responsible for starting the eternal Blood War in the Lower Planes, and the crime was so heinous that he looked to divest himself of his immortality in order to avoid ever dying and having to face judgement in the afterlife.

I think that there is a Torment novel - I need to read it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

JustJeff88 posted:

If you see the right text, The Nameless One has done some impossibly bad things beyond words. If I am not mistaken, <massive spoilers> Nameless is responsible for starting the eternal Blood War in the Lower Planes, and the crime was so heinous that he looked to divest himself of his immortality in order to avoid ever dying and having to face judgement in the afterlife.

But isn't (still massive spoilers) the Blood War super good for the rest of the Planes, since the Devils and the Demons expend most of their energy fighting each other, and by the very nature of their respective Planes can't actually successfully take over each other's territories without turning into what they just fought?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Comstar posted:

In BG1, what level is the best point to duel class Imoen to Mage, and a CHARNAME Swashbuckler to Mage?

I usually switch her over around level 6 or 7 Thief, 7 if I'm being super completionist-y. Basically, get her lockpick and trap skills to 100 then switch her over. Then find some poor shlub who can substitute for her while you're waiting for her mage levels to catch up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Taliesyn posted:

Yeah, I really dislike secret character number 1 and Ignus both. Horrible, horrible people. He does, however, make one possible ending into a complete joke. As to him attacking you if you talk with him too much: come on, it's not like you can't see that coming a mile away.

It is obvious yea, I just like talking through every dialogue option with my companions and with him you can't really say anything at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that there is a Torment novel - I need to read it.

Huh, it's been a long time since I played, so it's entirely possible I missed something but I thought we never learned what horrible crime TNO committed in the past, just as we never learned his original name

As for the novel, most of the reviews for the published book are pretty bad, but both a novelization of the incredibly long running LP from this very forum and an earlier novel that's made up mostly of dialogue and exposition from the game with added exposition for flow.

I haven't read either, but I'm pretty sure the second will contain less stuff that wasn't originally in the game, I think the lp added a lot of inner monologue to give TNO motivations for his actions in game (not necessarily a bad thing, it was a very popular lp). I also believe both are based on a good play, I think I remember someone doing something similar to the second ebook I linked with an evil playthrough, but I can't find it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Huh, it's been a long time since I played, so it's entirely possible I missed something but I thought we never learned what horrible crime TNO committed in the past, just as we never learned his original name

I'm certain we didn't either. The Blood War raged for millenia, TNO isn't old enough to have started it. It's just where he ends up after he dies.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

This is all true and I wish the character showed up earlier in the game rather than being shoehorned in towards the end. As for the first spoiler above, it's funny that it is also the optimal path for good-aligned characters. You get the huge good bonus for redeeming Trias plus the Celestial Fire plus the Celestial Host spell plus you get to kill him anyway. It's a great character moment but I wish mechanically it had been designed a little differently.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
IN BG 1, Is there anything I have to do other than click "detect traps" and walk around to have Imoen detect traps? I've got her skill at 100 but she's still managing to set the things off rather than find them. Got auto-pause on detect trap set too.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

IN BG 1, Is there anything I have to do other than click "detect traps" and walk around to have Imoen detect traps? I've got her skill at 100 but she's still managing to set the things off rather than find them. Got auto-pause on detect trap set too.

There is a hard set delay between the time a trap first enters the "Find Traps" detection radius and when the red detection color and pause triggers. On many maps it is quite easy for a character to blunder into the trap during that time. Unfortunately the only cure for this is frequent stops on the map.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

amanasleep posted:

There is a hard set delay between the time a trap first enters the "Find Traps" detection radius and when the red detection color and pause triggers. On many maps it is quite easy for a character to blunder into the trap during that time. Unfortunately the only cure for this is frequent stops on the map.

Uuugh. Tell me they fix this in BG 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Uuugh. Tell me they fix this in BG 2.
No, its all ultimately pulse based on rounds internal to the engine because dnd.