Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

Having watched a playthrough of The Order...It feels more like a tech demo that someone turned into their first movie project than a game.

I typically find that things I watch do not feel like games.

Have you watched Uncharted / Last of Us / Metal Gear playthroughs without having played those games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

If anyone is going to PAX East, check out the game I've been working on, Necropolis. I think some of my leads will be at GDC, too. Sadly, I won't be there.

http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

endlosnull posted:

If anyone is going to PAX East, check out the game I've been working on, Necropolis. I think some of my leads will be at GDC, too. Sadly, I won't be there.

That screenshot doesn't do your game justice, but the click through sure does :)

I don't know why the low-poly graphic style has taken off so hard, but it looks really good. Are you guys using a lot of emissive / no lighting solutions to color and paint your world? You get a very vibrant gradation of colors that don't seem to follow the usual look of typical lighting models, and I'd imagine controlling those colors through anything other than vert color would be a huge pain in the rear end.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

endlosnull posted:

^ What my fellow goon said. The screenshot doesn't do your game justice. I've been spending the majority of my time at PAX East in the indie/board gaming areas so I'll be sure to check this out, it looks pretty interesting.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

endlosnull posted:

Something about this is reminding me of Okami. I think it's that you appear to drop arena limits around combats, going by some of the GIFs? (that shatter on enemy death)

... and this. This is glorious:

EDIT: Heh, people really like your game, my notifications are unreadable for the next hour it seems :3:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 27, 2015

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

That screenshot doesn't do your game justice, but the click through sure does :)

I don't know why the low-poly graphic style has taken off so hard, but it looks really good. Are you guys using a lot of emissive / no lighting solutions to color and paint your world? You get a very vibrant gradation of colors that don't seem to follow the usual look of typical lighting models, and I'd imagine controlling those colors through anything other than vert color would be a huge pain in the rear end.

Thanks. I was thinking of grabbing some gifs but saw that they were like 1+mb large. I can't really give you a good answer about our colors since I didn't really work too much on it, but we actually use a good amount of lights to give some tint. The work is mostly done with shaders on the materials with the help of ShaderForge.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Holy poo poo, gently caress yeah! Great job on the animation/fx. Both work amazing!

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Wow, thanks everyone. It's been tough since it's our first attempt at a more action oriented game for our studio so there's been a lot of trial and error and figuring things out. If anyone has any questions about using Mecanim in Unity, I've been pulling my hair using it for the past few months and I'd be glad to help.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Chernabog posted:

Not a GDC activity, but if you like art you should check out the museum of modern art accross the convention center. I really enjoyed it despite having to rush through it in order to catch my flight.

SFMoMA is closed for remodeling until 2016. http://www.sfmoma.org/about/our_expansion/expansion_project_faq#howchange

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If anyone wants to feel better about their metacritic scores, the teams I've been on have put out 7 (reviewed) games over the years and never broken 50%. poo poo's depressing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: pocket posting, sorry!

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 28, 2015

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 28, 2015

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh well, guess not.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
As a random aside, I don't quite recall who was critical of UE4's blueprints for the lack of merging, but UE4.7 came out today and I was surprised to find they did finally add 3-way merges:

Fancy stuff, really.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

endlosnull posted:

It's not clear from the description, is the game mostly procedurally generated or is it more like something like Diablo 3 where each level is basically a collection of 'chunks' assorted into a semi-random layout?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 28, 2015

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Jan posted:

As a random aside, I don't quite recall who was critical of UE4's blueprints for the lack of merging, but UE4.7 came out today and I was surprised to find they did finally add 3-way merges:

Fancy stuff, really.

I was definitely concerned about it, but what they're doing is pretty cool. I'm also a big fan of the new foliage lighting in 4.7, and 4.8 has some really impressive distance field global illumination tech:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?58385-Koola-s-stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFPOsnC_ETQ

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a list of events and goings on during GDC? I'm looking for things I can go to during downtime, especially in the evening. I've got one of those schedules I need to keep flexible, but may have random time available to check out some parties and events. It would be nice to get those things onto my calendar.

There's a list of GDC parties here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvxoFgWuGdHodEJNOGhfMURhZE96WjljUTFqa3M2R3c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

There should be enough things going on and open each evening to make sure your evenings have a thing going on.

If you mean during the day, there's a few lounges and whatnot maintained at the event usually, and in the wider SF area it's not like there's a shortage of things to do. :v:

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's not clear from the description, is the game mostly procedurally generated or is it more like something like Diablo 3 where each level is basically a collection of 'chunks' assorted into a semi-random layout?

Well the procedural generation is sort of like the chunks. It's separated into floors and each floor has a randomized layout separated into sections, and each section has a pool of variants. Dungeon of the Endless made a good talk at Unite 2014 on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQOHX9hiL0&t=1557s

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Since OrcaHQ seems to have gone tits-up in regards to its jobs page, anyone have any good suggestions for job aggregators especially in regards to Production?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Vote Sweeper 2000 posted:

Since OrcaHQ seems to have gone tits-up in regards to its jobs page, anyone have any good suggestions for job aggregators especially in regards to Production?

I just shamed the owner of the page about it being gone. We'll see if he has any inclination to fix it!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

That's pretty cool but man, 5% of your gross revenue? How exactly is that free other than no upfront development cost?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It's no different from UE3 and UDK. The only people who will be really unhappy about a 5% cut is the large developers & publishers, who will instead negotiate a custom license with Epic as always.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Cutedge posted:

That's pretty cool but man, 5% of your gross revenue? How exactly is that free other than no upfront development cost?

Future money is much cheaper than today money, so I see this as great for tons of people.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cutedge posted:

Just budget for it like you should be doing with everything else. It only matters for indies and hobbyists anyway, and they're the ones who need the lowest cost of entry possible.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jan posted:

It's no different from UE3 and UDK. The only people who will be really unhappy about a 5% cut is the large developers & publishers, who will instead negotiate a custom license with Epic as always.
If you make more than around $200k, meaning you've paid only $10k by then, they WANT you to contact them for custom licensing terms. They don't want it to be a huge imposition for anyone.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
ARGH places taking over a week to get back to you about the in-person interview are the worst.

Pretty sure that means they had other candidates they interviewed, I hope whoever they were they sucked really bad.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's also combo PAX/GDC week. We told everyone we were talking to that we'd be mostly incommunicado for the MONTH between launch, GDC, and PAX. After this week, things should be coming back to normal.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

5% is also incredibly cheap given how deep and well-supported UE4 is. I remember seeing the bill for a Gamebryo license a good 7 or 8 years ago, and let me tell you, having to pony up that kind of money upfront would require most companies a loan just to cover (I've seen houses that cost less). Not having to pay anything up front for an engine like UE4 opens up a lot of doors for developers, students, and even larger studios. It also further lowers the barrier of entry in to game development, which is a good thing for everyone.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

There's also the fact that UE is project-based, rather than seat-based. So depending on your project timelines and team-size, this can further tip the scales one way or another. Between the Pro, Pro targets, and a Team license, without wheeling and dealing, you're looking at 5k for (most) team members's Unity licenses.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
It's also an absurdly good thing for students and schools. Knowing that they don't have to drop any money on it means they can teach it with literally no cost. This is an awesome thing, I love seeing UE4 evolve. I really hope the studio I'm at adapts to it soon since we work fairly closely with Epic. Unfortunately we got a bunch of custom stuff for UE3 that programmers are terrified of leaving behind, which pisses everybody who isn't a programmer.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

There's also the fact that UE is project-based, rather than seat-based. So depending on your project timelines and team-size, this can further tip the scales one way or another. Between the Pro, Pro targets, and a Team license, without wheeling and dealing, you're looking at 5k for (most) team members's Unity licenses.
Yup - and that isn't $5k and done, that's $5k every 1-2 years, due to their wonky patch cycles and "oh that? sorry, bumped to next major revision, oh and we just stopped support for the last one" crap. So you need to think of Unity's licensing as a seat-based project-based expense as well, unless you're making teensy mobile games.

(which someone will say "BU-BUT UPGRADE DISCOUNT IF YOU BUY EARLY!" to, to which I reply - sure, if you're ok with buying an invariably half-broken piece of poo poo that takes them half a year to turn into something worthy of your original purchase)

EDIT: I spend a lot of time harshing on Unity, but it remains a solid option, especially for simple 2D games. I'm just frustrated with their mismanaging of the product and the technical debt they're just ignoring at this point. :ssj:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 3, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tell us how you really feel, though.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also they pretty much stole their PBR tech from the Marmoset dudes. I lost a lot of respect for them as a company a while ago. Their engine is still aight for simple poo poo, but drat.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Gearman posted:

5% is also incredibly cheap given how deep and well-supported UE4 is. I remember seeing the bill for a Gamebryo license a good 7 or 8 years ago, and let me tell you, having to pony up that kind of money upfront would require most companies a loan just to cover (I've seen houses that cost less). Not having to pay anything up front for an engine like UE4 opens up a lot of doors for developers, students, and even larger studios. It also further lowers the barrier of entry in to game development, which is a good thing for everyone.
I know next to nothing about this license negotiation crap but I'm pretty sure the price tags have come down far in general. The last time I saw a price, UE2's licensing terms were publicly listed on their website, and it was $750k flat or $350k + 8% royalty.

The current model seems a lot like student licenses: Everyone's undercutting everyone so they can get people onboard for the big payday when those developers move up to high-budget projects.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 3, 2015

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Wait, was the "huge announcement" or whatever they hyped it up as just "We released Unity5 in its kinda buggy state and made some changes to the licensing"?

I keep rooting for UE more and more.

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

Wait, was the "huge announcement" or whatever they hyped it up as just "We released Unity5 in its kinda buggy state" and made some changes to the licensing?

I keep rooting for UE more and more.

Seems that way. At least the free version seems to be fully-featured this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I really like the "free unless you release something" model, because it's far less brutal on devs who fail to finish a game.