Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

I have a 1st round interview on Thursday for a software product manager role. I've been in services product management for four years, but I've never worked in software, SaaS, Agile, all of which are requirements on the job listing. There's nothing like that on my resume, just general product management stuff. How do I answer the inevitable question about my experience managing software, designing and building SaaS, working in an Agile environment, etc.?

I've never been good at answering questions about stuff that I lack experience. I'm a fast learner and not totally retarded about those things (I taught myself SAS and SQL, am very familiar with HTML and have been working through the CodeAcademy course on Ruby. I figure most product management stuff is transferable, but I don't have much to draw on with developing SaaS and working in Agile.

Anyone? I've got the interview tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping someone could sanity-check me. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Omne posted:

Anyone? I've got the interview tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping someone could sanity-check me. Thanks!

If you've never managed software development why would you apply for a job that involves just that? IT software project management is so much different than other types of project management.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Blinkz0rz posted:

If you've never managed software development why would you apply for a job that involves just that? IT software project management is so much different than other types of project management.

Because it's an interest of mine and I'd like to move into that field over services product management. And it's product management, not project management, though I understand software PM is fairly different than regular PM. Product management has a skill set that should translate to others fairly well (i.e. from software to service to a hard product), much like if you're an accountant, the industry shouldn't matter too much. And anyways, if I was foolish for applying, I've got an interview so they must see something they liked.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
I'm working my way backwards through the thread so apologies if I've missed this. I am just starting to look for a new job in earnest and could use some resume advice.

I've been working for 10 years as an IT consultant (systems implementation, data management, testing, design, etc.) and this is the only job I've had since graduating college. In those 10 years I have been on a lot (12-15) of projects. Most of them have been in the 6 month-1 year range. They've all covered a wide variety of responsibilities, accomplishments, skills, subject areas, and business types. What is the best way to format this on my resume?

I'm not sure if strictly chronological is the way to go because I'd have too many projects to fit in a page or two. But I'm also not sure if simply listing responsibilities and accomplishments would work since they can vary so much from project to project.

When I started putting my resume together for a random opportunity that came up a few months ago, I listed the info for my employer and then put a section of "Relevant Project Experience" where I cherry-picked the recent projects I've had that were most relevant to the opportunity.

Any thoughts or resources on how I should handle this? Is this something that Resume to Interviews has expertise in?

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've been applying to a lot of administrative/assistant-type positions. Is it actually helpful to put examples of reports I've written or projects in general up on LinkedIn? They most likely wouldn't have any direct relation to whatever job I'm applying for but a lot of descriptions say "report writing" and the like... It's been two years since I've graduated and I've only had three interviews for full-time jobs. All have refused to give me feedback, but I think the fact that I've had only part-time and temporary jobs must be one of the worst things about me. Should I spend time creating reports and Excel projects etc. and perhaps mention them in interviews to prove the skills, or is that a waste of time?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Clevername Lookhere posted:

I'm working my way backwards through the thread so apologies if I've missed this. I am just starting to look for a new job in earnest and could use some resume advice.

I've been working for 10 years as an IT consultant (systems implementation, data management, testing, design, etc.) and this is the only job I've had since graduating college. In those 10 years I have been on a lot (12-15) of projects. Most of them have been in the 6 month-1 year range. They've all covered a wide variety of responsibilities, accomplishments, skills, subject areas, and business types. What is the best way to format this on my resume?

I'm not sure if strictly chronological is the way to go because I'd have too many projects to fit in a page or two. But I'm also not sure if simply listing responsibilities and accomplishments would work since they can vary so much from project to project.

When I started putting my resume together for a random opportunity that came up a few months ago, I listed the info for my employer and then put a section of "Relevant Project Experience" where I cherry-picked the recent projects I've had that were most relevant to the opportunity.

Any thoughts or resources on how I should handle this? Is this something that Resume to Interviews has expertise in?
I'd put the resume together chronologically so potential employers can easily see that you've been continuously employe, but you can highlight specific projects by having a 'relevant projects' blurb with a couple simple bullet points that you edit for each resume you send out. For example:

quote:

Key Accomplishments
*Relevant Project 1
*Relevant Project 2
*Relevant Project 3

with full details in the body of the resume. Also make sure to highlight those accomplishment in your cover letter and expand on why they're relevant to the job you're applying for.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Thanks! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. One note is that this has been my only job since college so it will really be the only main job on there. So maybe it would look something like this?

Mr. Manager, Bob's Consulting, 2005-2015
- Key Accomplishments [i](Or something like "Relevant Projects"?[/i]
- Relevant Project 1 (January 2014-June 2014)
- Improved process to increase widget production by 20%
- Supervised team of 5
- Etc.
- Relevant Project 2 (January 2013-June 2013)
- Created new process to increase efficiency by 20%
- Etc.
- Other Responsibilities (this is where I'd put some general stuff I did at the company, not project specific
- Assisted recruiting by hosting interview candidates on interview days
- Organized team events
- Etc. etc.

Then maybe my basic college info below that?

edit: The bullet points don't indent as I meant them to but I think you get the idea?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, let's try it this way. How is this resume compared to this one?. Is the second a step in the right direction? Is it worse (What I did with the wording, etc?)

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Hi, I worked really hard on this resume, but nobody is returning my calls! Do you have any idea why

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

froward posted:

Hi, I worked really hard on this resume, but nobody is returning my calls! Do you have any idea why

Shoulda thought about that before you went to Middlebury College.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Thanks! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. One note is that this has been my only job since college so it will really be the only main job on there. So maybe it would look something like this?

Mr. Manager, Bob's Consulting, 2005-2015
- Key Accomplishments [i](Or something like "Relevant Projects"?[/i]
- Relevant Project 1 (January 2014-June 2014)
- Improved process to increase widget production by 20%
- Supervised team of 5
- Etc.
- Relevant Project 2 (January 2013-June 2013)
- Created new process to increase efficiency by 20%
- Etc.
- Other Responsibilities (this is where I'd put some general stuff I did at the company, not project specific
- Assisted recruiting by hosting interview candidates on interview days
- Organized team events
- Etc. etc.

Then maybe my basic college info below that?

edit: The bullet points don't indent as I meant them to but I think you get the idea?

It would be nice to clearly point out any title changes that happened over the years, and then break it down by projects from there.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay goons, let's try it this way. How is this resume compared to this one?. Is the second a step in the right direction? Is it worse (What I did with the wording, etc?)

Reduce the margins and fit it all onto one page. One page is absolutely necessary.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mainks posted:

Reduce the margins and fit it all onto one page. One page is absolutely necessary.

That can be done fairly easily, what about the wording? Is it better/worse than the other one?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is it acceptable to provide a URL to your LinkedIn on your resume? Not in a 'see my LinkedIn cause I don't want to fill this poo poo in' manner, but just having a listed URL?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Johnny Truant posted:

Is it acceptable to provide a URL to your LinkedIn on your resume? Not in a 'see my LinkedIn cause I don't want to fill this poo poo in' manner, but just having a listed URL?
I'll sometimes include unobtrusive links to things (GitHub, in my case) if I sent a Word or PDF resume, but I think it's a waste of time on a printed sheet.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Yeah the only time I would consider it for paper would be if all the following were true:

You think access to your LinkedIn would really help your candidacy (highly unlikely)
You don't think it will be easily googleable
You snagged a nice easy to type LinkedIn vanity url when they became available

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Misogynist posted:

I'll sometimes include unobtrusive links to things (GitHub, in my case) if I sent a Word or PDF resume, but I think it's a waste of time on a printed sheet.

Yeah, this was what I was thinking. Unfortunately hyperlinks don't work in the real world. Yet...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, this was what I was thinking. Unfortunately hyperlinks don't work in the real world. Yet...

You could be the QR code weirdo.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Johnny Truant posted:

More contact info is always good, and your linkedin account is at least as polished as your CV, right?

Do it up. It's a professional tool, no-one will look down on you for including it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have been extensively revising my resume and have started to see some results, but I still have some questions. I recently graduated with a Masters Degree.

Related to the above link chat; I have a link on my resume to a portfolio I made using a variety of Adobe Creative. It is located on ISSUU. Is that link ok?

In the OP, it states to never include an objective statement. I initially used a resume writing service, and they put in a "Summary if Qualifications" that starts the resume. It's two sentences.

1st: I'm a recent Master's graduate with entry-level experience, and I specialize in x,y,&z.
2nd: I am seeking employment at x.

Keep it or cut it?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Cover letter question - I moved jobs and industries a few times in my first few years out of college, since I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I loved my last job, which broadly involved business strategy and operations, but left for a legal job that involves some business analysis (I was considering law school and wanted to get exposure before realizing I don't want to be a lawyer). I'm 100% confident that I want to go back and do a business analyst esque job, but my resume has me jumping around a ton.

I can explain the whole thing very well in person, but I'm afraid that people will look at all the movement and just ignore my resume. On the other hand, I don't want to have a huge letter that comes off as apologetic. Any advice?

Also, I'm applying to jobs in another city to try and get closer to my family. Is that worth including, so they have an idea of why I'm applying to something halfway across the country?

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 3, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have been extensively revising my resume and have started to see some results, but I still have some questions. I recently graduated with a Masters Degree.

Related to the above link chat; I have a link on my resume to a portfolio I made using a variety of Adobe Creative. It is located on ISSUU. Is that link ok?

I also have an ISSUU portfolio URL on my resume, but I also paste a hyperlink into my cover letter when I submit applications since no one's actually going to type that in from a printed resume.

I have it set up as
Name
Contact info
Address
Issuu link

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

At what point during the interview/hiring process do I bring up time-off that I already know about? I have two weddings to attend in September and will need a couple days for each. Is it better to do during the interview stage and ask if that's an issue, or should I wait until there's a written offer and say "by the way, I will need these days off, is that okay?"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd wait. You should be getting vacation anyway, and they should be fine with it, especially when it's 6 months from now.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Econosaurus posted:

Cover letter question - I moved jobs and industries a few times in my first few years out of college, since I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I loved my last job, which broadly involved business strategy and operations, but left for a legal job that involves some business analysis (I was considering law school and wanted to get exposure before realizing I don't want to be a lawyer). I'm 100% confident that I want to go back and do a business analyst esque job, but my resume has me jumping around a ton.

I can explain the whole thing very well in person, but I'm afraid that people will look at all the movement and just ignore my resume. On the other hand, I don't want to have a huge letter that comes off as apologetic. Any advice?

Also, I'm applying to jobs in another city to try and get closer to my family. Is that worth including, so they have an idea of why I'm applying to something halfway across the country?

Mention that you are trying to relocate to <city> to be closer to family. I did this and got several interviews. Include a brief mention somewhere in your cover letter or if you are emailing your resume to a recruiter, include it in the email itself. If there is no other space to mention it, you don't have to. Most places that called me back still asked why I wanted to move to <city> so that confirms that almost no one reads cover letters.

Don't try to over-explain the job hopping too much on paper, it comes off poorly. Try to make your resume as cohesive and relevant to business analysis roles as possible and wait to explain it until someone asks you directly in the interview. If you've had strong accomplishments at your last job(s), just focus on those instead of all the reasons why they shouldn't hire you.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Anyone care to critique a cover letter really quick? I'm not terribly confident about it so far but maybe I'm over-thinking things.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4QwOmJTm18cOC12Q2ZCdVhGSms/view?usp=sharing

I tried to follow the standard format:
  • What led me to the position
  • Why I want the particular position
  • What I offer the position
  • Closing remarks

The first part is straightforward. Someone I worked with previously is now with this new company and knows that I can do the job just fine, it's just a matter of conveying that to a hiring manager and getting my foot in the door. #2 is more of an issue... I want the position because I'm sick of my current job/coworkers, am trying to double my salary, and see much more long-term potential for career prospects coming from this. Some of those points are hard to put across tactfully in a cover letter so I went with a generic "chasing opportunity" response that I'm not too enthused about. I don't know if it's maybe better to leave it off entirely to leave room for expanding on details in the next point.

#3 is iffy as well. The job description is incredibly vague and only lists things such as "work with inside teams to develop business decisions." "Evaluate a variety of topics, sometimes complex in nature." No poo poo. My insider listed a few things that this company desires so I explicitly mention them here, I'm just unsure about it all because cover letters are new territory for me and I don't know if there's a better way to cover it while still being concise since it's all in my resume. The last paragraph is basically my attempt at saying that I'm happy to relocate to another state. The job posting itself is for an out of state office but they're local as well, I just don't know if there are any openings there. Overall thoughts?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone ever gone through a Skype/Google Hangout interview? I've gone through an HR phone screen, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and am now scheduling a Google Hangout talk with the CTO before scheduling a trip to visit on-site (I live a few states away from the job). I've never gone through one of these (let alone three or four rounds of interviewing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Omne posted:

Anyone ever gone through a Skype/Google Hangout interview? I've gone through an HR phone screen, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and am now scheduling a Google Hangout talk with the CTO before scheduling a trip to visit on-site (I live a few states away from the job). I've never gone through one of these (let alone three or four rounds of interviewing
It's not much different from a face-to-face interview, except for the technical stuff. Test it with a friend beforehand to make sure your audio/video works. Most built-in microphones for webcam use have pretty bad audio, so consider getting a headset. If you're on a Mac, even the white earbuds work much better than nothing. On a PC, maybe saunter down to Best Buy or whatever and buy the cheapest thing they have.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Other common sense stuff would be make sure you look good and that the space behind you doesn't look like a slum.

Teeter posted:

Anyone care to critique a cover letter really quick? I'm not terribly confident about it so far but maybe I'm over-thinking things.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4QwOmJTm18cOC12Q2ZCdVhGSms/view?usp=sharing

I tried to follow the standard format:
  • What led me to the position
  • Why I want the particular position
  • What I offer the position
  • Closing remarks

The first part is straightforward. Someone I worked with previously is now with this new company and knows that I can do the job just fine, it's just a matter of conveying that to a hiring manager and getting my foot in the door. #2 is more of an issue... I want the position because I'm sick of my current job/coworkers, am trying to double my salary, and see much more long-term potential for career prospects coming from this. Some of those points are hard to put across tactfully in a cover letter so I went with a generic "chasing opportunity" response that I'm not too enthused about. I don't know if it's maybe better to leave it off entirely to leave room for expanding on details in the next point.

#3 is iffy as well. The job description is incredibly vague and only lists things such as "work with inside teams to develop business decisions." "Evaluate a variety of topics, sometimes complex in nature." No poo poo. My insider listed a few things that this company desires so I explicitly mention them here, I'm just unsure about it all because cover letters are new territory for me and I don't know if there's a better way to cover it while still being concise since it's all in my resume. The last paragraph is basically my attempt at saying that I'm happy to relocate to another state. The job posting itself is for an out of state office but they're local as well, I just don't know if there are any openings there. Overall thoughts?

Sent you a PM with some suggestions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When going through interviews and asked why I'm looking for a new position is it okay to say because the company is planning to downsize or should I err on side of caution a deliver the standard spiel of lack of opportunities?

As I typed this, I think the latter is a good option.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I am anticipating a rather good offer at a company I was starting to feel positive about, and tonight the company was acquired. Say the offer is still extended. Any thoughts on whether I should take it? For reference, I am in a stable, comfortable, but dead-end and non-lucrative temp job doing the same thing I'd be doing at the new place.

(Yes, this is the same offer I was entertaining upthread.)

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
If anyone is willing to take a look at the first draft of my resume and give any feedback you have I'd appreciate it - haven't been looking for work in a good long while and this is very fresh. I should note that I'll be looking for something in a similar line - working for a tech company, acting as a primary liaison between their support and development teams would be ideal.

Note to self, start updating your resume every year from here on out.

Thanks in advance, this thread has been quite helpful so far.

Doresain fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 5, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
It's amazing how many 'elite' companies use broken systems like Taleo. It's just astonishing that the HR people at these companies haven't tried to push for a change.

Anyone have any experience how long it takes for HR people at a company to start making decisions when they use Taleo. I am guessing a month or two? I am just so shocked the process takes so long. I actually found a job that would be perfect for me, I meet or exceed all the requirements but I am just worried I am not going to get the job because Taleo is such an awful program. I have never gotten a response back from a Taleo application.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 5, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Enigma89 posted:

It's amazing how many 'elite' companies use broken systems like Taleo. It's just astonishing that the HR people at these companies haven't tried to push for a change.

Anyone have any experience how long it takes for HR people at a company to start making decisions when they use Taleo. I am guessing a month or two? I am just so shocked the process takes so long. I actually found a job that would be perfect for me, I meet or exceed all the requirements but I am just worried I am not going to get the job because Taleo is such an awful program. I have never gotten a response back from a Taleo application.

Taleo doesn't show the HR person your resume as you wrote it, it shows them how well your resume scored. So if your resume doesn't match the criteria of the search program well enough (not the job requirements, those are irrelevant), they won't even look at your resume. Taleo is a program where jobs go to be unfilled because HR is lazy. I'm seriously considering attempting a Markov generator to make resumes for Taleo and then seeing which ones get the best hits. Maybe that has already been done?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

MickeyFinn posted:

Taleo doesn't show the HR person your resume as you wrote it, it shows them how well your resume scored. So if your resume doesn't match the criteria of the search program well enough (not the job requirements, those are irrelevant), they won't even look at your resume. Taleo is a program where jobs go to be unfilled because HR is lazy. I'm seriously considering attempting a Markov generator to make resumes for Taleo and then seeing which ones get the best hits. Maybe that has already been done?

Seriously? Ugh. And I thought it was bad because it was such a pain to fill out.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

MickeyFinn posted:

I think that my resume in PDF is never being read correctly. I uploaded my resume and cover letter to Taleo. There was a text block on the application as well and decided to copy the requirements area of the job post and said that I would address each point to reiterate how I meet or exceed all the requirements. But really all I am doing is trying to use the same phrases that the Hr manager used and have them on my application but who knows if this part of the application is scanned through and weighted in the rank.

The worst part about it is that most of the Hr managers I have talked to whose companies use Taleo are extremely lazy. Trying to confirm that my resume was accepted and formatted/populated correctly falls on deaf ears.

It really blows my mind that industry leaders use such a poo poo system for Hr.

Typing on phone sorry for bad formatting.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My company uses taleo and from reading this I can see why we make extensive use of external recruitment agencies and referrals from existing employees. Holy crap that's bad.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Xandu posted:

Seriously? Ugh. And I thought it was bad because it was such a pain to fill out.

I'm sure Taleo is excellent at whittling down a long list of candidates to a few cases. But it also adds an arbitrary extra set of qualifications to the job description: the ability to get the tracker to score you high enough. That sort of thing is fine when you have a large applicant pool of relatively fungible candidates, but would be devastating to a search in a small candidate pool. I should clarify that I'm on the outside looking in like everyone else here, but everything I have read about Taleo leads me to not even apply to jobs that use it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm applying for an internally posted position, but they require you to send in a cover letter and a resume, do I include that I, infact, worked at the company? Or do I leave that out? What should I put in the cover letter to make me stand out? Everyone who applies get's an interview but I still want to start with my best foot forward.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think it's somehwat implied that you work for the company if it's an internal posting, but you should certainly say what you do at the company, e.g. "I work in Accounting at Company."

Beyond that, why do you want this position, why would you be good at it, have you worked with anyone in that department before, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a good length? Should I keep it to a paragraph?