Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You kind of need it to do any of the endgame content now.

But yeah it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I see that Jedi Covenant is a NA server. How is it to play for Europe? Will it just be hopeless to find teams?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
New subscriber reward announced!

It's a.....set of black-purple crystals. Which uhhhh....many of us already have.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There's an interesting deal on the choose your own path page too. Expansions + 60 day time card + ccoins for $40.

http://www.swtor.com/choose-your-path/rejoin

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I don't think they actually share screen time but Marr is definitely a Dark Council member (he's in the both the Inquisitor and Warrior finales) while Malgus is off doing his scheming. Marr was one of the Council members who signed the Treaty of Coruscant just before the timeline of the actual game starts.

The game's EU stuff also explains that Marr was always the first among equals in the Dark Council for the decades leading up to TOR, and he's highly respected if not beloved by all major elements of the Sith and Imperial hierarchies, whereas Malgus was seen as a charismatic firebrand and somewhat unreliable given his outspoken political views. Marr and Vowrawn are said to be among the longest-serving members in the Dark Council's history.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine, all this space in our heads could be filled by something that contributes to society

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 26, 2015

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

phosdex posted:

There's an interesting deal on the choose your own path page too. Expansions + 60 day time card + ccoins for $40.

http://www.swtor.com/choose-your-path/rejoin

I just spent $50 last week buying the expansion and re-subbing. Screw that. Dumb to complain about I guess but missing out on 2500cc kind of sucks.

Khako fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Khako posted:

I just spent $50 last week buying the expansion and re-subbing. Screw that. Dumb to complain about I guess but missing out on 2500cc kind of sucks.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
This offer could be interesting for me. I have just started playing, and so far I have the Free to play account, which doesn't even allow me to use the bank.

For sure I will put some money on the game to have at least preferred status, but at the moment I don't see a real reason to go all the way to subscription.

Thinking thinking....

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
My opinion is if you plan to see the whole game, might as well get the expansion at a discounted rate. Being a sub the first time through will make the whole process less painful compared to what f2p goes through. Then if you hit max level with a character you will have plenty of credits saved up to drop back to preferred and can just buy unlocks for whatever you want to do.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

To those of you who were trying to help me get the game started, I DID IT! I mean, I had to format my PC and poo poo, but IT'S WORKING!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

To those of you who were trying to help me get the game started, I DID IT! I mean, I had to format my PC and poo poo, but IT'S WORKING!

Congratulations! Welcome to our dead guild

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Congratulations! Welcome to our dead guild

Hey we're not dead we have a very active thread on the SA forums!

On an unrelated note, I can never play FF14 with you guys. Steam showing how many hours played on FF14 would be very depressing to me. At least with SWTOR I could PRETEND I was only playing a few hours a week.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

On an unrelated note, I can never play FF14 with you guys. Steam showing how many hours played on FF14 would be very depressing to me. At least with SWTOR I could PRETEND I was only playing a few hours a week.

This is my main complaint about FF14, yeah. I hit triple digits very quickly :(

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I've been meaning to try this and the $40 deal seems like a good price. If the goon guild is dead, what's the most active PVE server in general?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Oh well done there! :thumbsup:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

boho posted:

I've been meaning to try this and the $40 deal seems like a good price. If the goon guild is dead, what's the most active PVE server in general?

Jedi Covenant is still an active server, it's probably worth rolling on there just in case the guild picks up again.

I'm also possibly overstating things by saying the guild is "dead", I'm not actually playing so I don't know how active it is. Just that a bunch of the raiding crowd took a break at the same time.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

You could just get it from SE's website rather than steam, I did that.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Blhue posted:

You could just get it from SE's website rather than steam, I did that.

What you're doing is the equivalent of offering a free hit to an addict btw.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hmm. I was thinking more meth, but okay. I can roll with that.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I played like twenty hours of FF14 and I think it sucks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm sure it "picks up" later but I was so fuckin bored playing FF14.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Jedi Covenant is still an active server, it's probably worth rolling on there just in case the guild picks up again.

I'm also possibly overstating things by saying the guild is "dead", I'm not actually playing so I don't know how active it is. Just that a bunch of the raiding crowd took a break at the same time.

There's usually always someone on, we get over 10 peeps at a time during primetime and even in the dead of night there are ausgoons and me to keep you company. Definitely far from "dead", though I hope you weren't planning to run any ops.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Give it a month with the current roster and I think we could run stuff like HM DP.

If we could get like half the raid crew back we'd have around 20-25 on a night which would be pretty impressive.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Give it a month with the current roster and I think we could run stuff like HM DP.

If we could get like half the raid crew back we'd have around 20-25 on a night which would be pretty impressive.

I'm sure Arsit is still floating around and would be willing to run stuff with you guys. :)

And we're all junkies, I'm sure we'll be back in 2-3 months tops.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I made a new account with the OP referral link and it just didn't work (I had no email preferences on). Is the "Jumpstart Pack" worth flushing ~1-2 hours of intro questing for?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is my main complaint about FF14, yeah. I hit triple digits very quickly :(

Just think that you left it running 24 hours a day for a week, while you were at work and asleep. Lie to yourself.

Will they ever get EU to NA server transfers going?

^^^^^^^ Yes, and those 1-2 hours will go faster since you know the game better.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
If I want to try some republic characters, which class has the most enjoyable story?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sjonkel posted:

If I want to try some republic characters, which class has the most enjoyable story?

Consular if you have any interest in jedi stuff. Smuggler if you don't.

Don't play Knight.

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

boho posted:

I'm playing on harbringer and there's always a crap ton of people on, even at the strange hours I play (60-110 people in levelling zones at 4am pacific time). One thing to keep in mind is that even as an active subscriber you can use a referral code to get some free stuff (starter package with mostly useless stuff other than an inventory space upgrade) and 7 days free as well as a "FREE CHARACTER TRANSFER", so if you end up not liking the server you rolled on you can swap a character over for free.

I'd suggest doing the RAF with a friend so you can get some sweet sweet bonuses (and a 110% mount for being the referrer), but if you're not starting out with anyone I'm happy to schill my link here

http://www.swtor.com/r/dRKMfx

as I wouldn't mind a RAF mount ^_<, and if you do roll a character on Harbringer hit me up on Peparone Pizza or Domino's Pizza, I'm usually on from 6pm-4am PST and can help you out with some starter creds & gear.

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

boho posted:

I made a new account with the OP referral link and it just didn't work (I had no email preferences on). Is the "Jumpstart Pack" worth flushing ~1-2 hours of intro questing for?

Really depends if you plan on subbing or not - most of the benefits from the preferred package are things you unlock for free from subbing like displaying titles - the one big benefit I can think of is the unlocked inventory space on every character (saves you 200,000 in game dollars if you use it for your last slot) & the 7 days free or whatever it is they're tacking on now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Consular if you have any interest in jedi stuff. Smuggler if you don't.

Don't play Knight.

I just finished chap. 3 of the Knight storyline. Thought it was pretty good.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Any opinions on Hatred Assassin versus Madness Sorcerer? Both seem to offer the DoT/Lifesteal DPS toolkit but it sounds like Madness has some major problems right now?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

boho posted:

Any opinions on Hatred Assassin versus Madness Sorcerer? Both seem to offer the DoT/Lifesteal DPS toolkit but it sounds like Madness has some major problems right now?

Madness does have some issues. Most pve Raiders are in lightning spec. The current ops heavily favor range dps though so if you want to do hm ops at end game the sorc is a much better choice. Assassins make decent tanks and they have good melee, but the ops make having more than 1 melee pretty rough.

If you don't care about that and only plan to do sm pve and pvp stuff than its all about whether you want melee and stealth or lightning from range.

Cereal Connoisseur
Jun 29, 2011
Madness rerelly lost a lot of its umph by taking away the hybrid spec...that being said I just re-subbed after not playing in a long while and did all of Makeb on my sorc in the old champion PvP gear as lightning and it was a blast! ....Thundering blast

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

KittyEmpress posted:

Don't play Knight.

I just started this game, got to 16 on Knight and was bored out of my skull. Sith Warrior is better.

Does light side Sith ever get better than 'you think I killed them but actually I saved them!'?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

phosdex posted:

I just finished chap. 3 of the Knight storyline. Thought it was pretty good.

Knight is a really basic story of save the galaxy from super weapons yay you're a huge hero and amazing. Which I think Trooper does better anyways.

As to light side with warrior getting better, yeah sort of? I mean its way better than the dark side story. A lot of it is loving with Jedi perception of how you will just jump right to murder though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Sjonkel posted:

:siren: Cythereal alert, will Cythereal please report to the sperg courtesy phone :siren:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

:siren: Cythereal alert, will Cythereal please report to the sperg courtesy phone :siren:

I can't completely sperg, but I can be a little more talkative about the republic side stories, since i'm at a computer.

The Consular is the ultimate Jedi experience, you get to learn all kinds of poo poo about the Jedi order, you get to learn all kinda of poo poo about the Sith, you get to learn all kinds of things about the Republic in general. The first act shows you a bunch of different jobs that Jedi do, as well as the fact that Jedi are not, in fact, infalliable. A lot of goons hated it, but I actually enjoyed a lot of it. The second and third acts are really good, and probably the only stories I'd say were on par or nearly on par with the Imperial Agent.

The Smuggler is the cowboy experience. If you want to play republic but not be a loyal servant of the republic, this is your story. You fly around in space doing jobs for yourself, for hutts, and for the republic, and it's pretty dang fun. The act 3 twist pissed me off and I didn't enjoy act 3 like at all, but acts 1 and 2 were fun.

The Trooper is Tom Clancy in Space. Fight terrorists! Fight Imperials! Fight Imperial Terrorists! Blow up bombs! Steal technology! Alert the republic to impending doomsday plans! If you want to play Mass Effect mixed with Tom Clancy, this is the story for you. It shares a lot of beats with the Knight, but in my opinion is a lot better. You're still being a big drat hero stopping doomsday plans and saving the republic on a daily basis, but it's at least not because you're the fabled messiah.

The Knight is literally every other bioware game. You are the jedi messiah, you are fated to save the republic and defeat the emperor. You are the strongest jedi who has ever been seen, and were able to match regular jedi when you were 6 years old, you were such a hyper badass cool savior. Save the republic on a daily basis! Be the coolest and hottest and bestest! This is your straight up power fantasy, even over all the OTHER power fantasies that exist in other stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The Bounty Hunter storyline was fun up until the late second/third act, where the game painstakingly railroads you into being the Republic's Most Wanted. Him/her and the Smuggler really don't feel like Empire/Republic storylines, and in a different game probably would have been neutral.

• Locked thread