Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

:black101:

The werepanda got into my chicken coop and started flailing around at all the chickens. Most of those "existing conflicts" were battles with animals.

I probably have to find a new site with only a 2x2 embark compared to my current 3x3. The framerate is getting pretty painful, and I haven't even started putting water through my waterworks project yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Jesus, that looks like something a serial killer scrawled on the wall.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Psawhn posted:

:black101:

The werepanda got into my chicken coop and started flailing around at all the chickens. Most of those "existing conflicts" were battles with animals.

I probably have to find a new site with only a 2x2 embark compared to my current 3x3. The framerate is getting pretty painful, and I haven't even started putting water through my waterworks project yet.

FYI even 2x2 with surface surface plants/trees is just too much for me after about a year and a half.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
How about if you pave a 2x2 over completely?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Didn't I read something about a 1x1 embark being possible now/soon/with [[tool]]?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You don't need tools for that anymore, no.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

How about if you pave a 2x2 over completely?

If you're going to do this, you might as well embark on ice or bare rock, which aren't even super hard to survive on really. I'm just pretty unhappy about this massive speed nosedive in the new version, it's so hugely different. In 34.11 I had no problems like this at all, even on 4x4 embarks with ~150 units I'd still have 45-60 FPS.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth I'm on a 3x4 absolutely covered in trees right now, 140 dwarves, 40 livestock (half in cages), and 88 other (merchant caravan is here); 30-40 fps, depending on what part of the map I'm looking at. When the view is on the surface it dips a bit. It's also a 20 year old fort so it's got a lot of random superfluous items laying about.

It was higher than that at one point but I accidentally breached hell and even though I paved it over and did 'revflood' the fps never came back.

30-40 is slower than I'd like but it's not really that different from what 34.xx was for me in an old fort. I've definitely had some forts get to the low 10s in the previous version. I do have to keep the region small or smaller on world gen though.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Flesh Forge posted:

If you're going to do this, you might as well embark on ice or bare rock, which aren't even super hard to survive on really. I'm just pretty unhappy about this massive speed nosedive in the new version, it's so hugely different. In 34.11 I had no problems like this at all, even on 4x4 embarks with ~150 units I'd still have 45-60 FPS.

It's pretty hard to cut down a thousand logs worth of wood on a barren rock though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So what do I do with old worn out dwarven clothing? A bunch of my dwarves have started dumping their old clothes in favor of wearing new stuff, and the old stuff is littering their rooms and making me feel like my mother. Can I designate it all to be dumped and then sell it off at the next caravan, or do i need a dresser/cabinet in every room to permanently store this stuff in?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I dunno if the personal rooms interfere with the process, but if a dwarf discards some wore-out clothing, the ownership flag should decay pretty quickly. Then you can unload them on the next caravan that comes by. The value will be slightly diminished, but that's life.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
You can probably make piles of them based on quality/how wore out can't you? I remember a long time ago atomizing these with a bridge was the default suggestion but I don't know why. Also IIRC there was a script on DFHack specifically to destroy old clothing, since those usually were the cause of some drop in FPS.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think I might be able to dump them, which I'll try in a moment. I'd rather sell them if possible, but if I have to smash them, then whatever, no big loss.

So, I'm still trying to work out getting my marksdwarves to shoot at the drat archery range. I was googling around a bit and I read some old stuff about how the squad should be set to inactive, with no labors, instead of set to train. I'm trying that now, but all my marksdwarves are just standing around with no job. Not "(soldier) no job", just no job. I'd really like to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing wrong here, because it's driving me crazy.

I've got 10 archery targets, all set up like so:

They are all zoned like so:

They are all set as their own rooms, assigned to my squad of marksdwarves with the train, individual eq, and squad eq(I don't know what eq means) flags set.

My squad is set up like this:
positions:

equipment:

ammo:

schedule:

And yet, this is what they're doing right now:

All the dwarves with "archer" in front of their name are in the squad.

Where am I going wrong here? Err, well, I guess I went wrong by trying to make a marksdwarf squad as my first military squad. But other than that, where did I go wrong?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Do you have them set to active/training on the alerts screen?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This and you might try setting up archery lanes so that you have more control over room size and the direction in which the archers will fire.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Each month should have multiple Train 1 minimum orders.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

This and you might try setting up archery lanes so that you have more control over room size and the direction in which the archers will fire.

They are set to fire from bottom to top at each target.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Doing that makes a random one of my archers switch jobs from ranger to marksdwarf, and nothing else. He's hanging out in the meeting area with the children of the fortress. No other dwarves change job titles or do anything other than list 'no job' as their task.

EDIT:

Sub Rosa posted:

Each month should have multiple Train 1 minimum orders.

Wait, you can assign more than one? Son of a bitch. How many should I assign? one for each member of the squad?

EDIT2: Ok, assigning 10 training orders for 1 dwarf minimum changed all the members of my squad to marksdwarves, but they still aren't training.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 28, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Only one is going active because you only have it set to 1 minimum on the training order. Either do what Sub Rosa said or set it to the default 10 minimum, which should work just fine.

Edit:oh you figured that out. Not really sure why they aren't training by now.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
the ranges are set to shoot from bottom to top right? This is my range setup and it works fine for all my squads which are set up basically the same way as yours except with a single 10 minimum training order.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

the ranges are set to shoot from bottom to top right? This is my range setup and it works fine for all my squads which are set up basically the same way as yours except with a single 10 minimum training order.

Yes, it's set to shoot bottom to top and there's a 1 tile wide path below the room zone for just general walking purposes.

Also, holy loving poo poo one of them started training.

Just one, but progress! Let's see if the others follow suit instead of just babysitting the toddlers in the meeting hall.

EDIT: He fired 5 bolts and then went back to the hall. Everyone else is still doing nothing, as before. How often will these guys practice at the targets?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Maybe your dwarves are just a bit slow to follow orders, that's happened to me a few times.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

How often will these guys practice at the targets?
Once a month-ish. They tend to just empty their quiver.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes moody people produce some really cool stuff that also happens to be useful. Some info about that description: my fortress is in The Comedic Forests and lots of my dwarfs originate from this Blameless Post. Are the names better now? Blameless Post and Comedic Forests are quite good names for random generation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Maybe your dwarves are just a bit slow to follow orders, that's happened to me a few times.

Sub Rosa posted:

Once a month-ish. They tend to just empty their quiver.

Other than that one dwarf firing off a couple bolts and leaving, none of my other marksdwarves have started practicing yet, and it's been over a month. I tried switching each order to this:

You can see I made each order prefer a different soldier. I've done that from position 1 through 10. This, however, didn't change anything.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
you could try out a default 10 minimum order and see if that might work better for you.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You have them set with both combat and training bolts. If they fill their quiver with metal bolts, they will never empty their quiver to get training bolts to train.

You should also way up the number of training bolts that are assigned. I tend to go 100 per trainee.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sub Rosa posted:

You have them set with both combat and training bolts. If they fill their quiver with metal bolts, they will never empty their quiver to get training bolts to train.

You should also way up the number of training bolts that are assigned. I tend to go 100 per trainee.

I removed the combat ammo, leaving only the training stuff behind. How do I make them empty their quivers and get new bolts?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

you can aways go to their inventory and tell them to dump stuff, but I don't know if this is the more practical stuff. Someone mentioned some posts before switching dwarfs between squads with other ammo configured but I'm not sure how this works.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I don't know if it was deleting the combat ammo that did it, assigning 100 bolts for training instead of 50, or assigning the 10 dwarf minimum training order, but I just observed 3 different dwarves practicing archery! They actually come to the range and fire off all their bolts!

:holy::bubblewoop::lesnick:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well gently caress. I just went to search my list of tradegoods for a thing, hit the wrong button, and accidentally seized everything I was going to trade for from the Elves. At least it's the elves? Why isn't there a confirmation window? Would "Are you sure you want to do this?" be too much to ask?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

neogeo0823 posted:

Well gently caress. I just went to search my list of tradegoods for a thing, hit the wrong button, and accidentally seized everything I was going to trade for from the Elves. At least it's the elves? Why isn't there a confirmation window? Would "Are you sure you want to do this?" be too much to ask?

Yes, yes it is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That goes against the spirit of the entire game man :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

Next time, pre-emptively mark one of your own tradegoods to trade. IIRC, this makes "seize" unavailable.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Next time, pre-emptively mark one of your own tradegoods to trade. IIRC, this makes "seize" unavailable.

In fact, it does not. I had designated all my good for trade, went through their list and picked what I wanted, saw I was going to give them almost 10 grand in profit, went to go and search for all the gems I had marked so I could unmark them, and instead seized all their goods.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They would have just found something else to get mad about eventually anyway, like you accidentally traded them a wooden flute or some poo poo.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I am an odd duck, in that I have never had issue with elves in any of my fortresses beyond I think my first or second one that lived through to spring.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Flesh Forge posted:

They would have just found something else to get mad about eventually anyway, like you accidentally traded them a wooden flute or some poo poo.

Yeah, that's just Elves.txt, they'll always be pissed about something unless you're not playing the game right like Nietzschean up there, who apparently lives in carefully built treehouses or something :mmmhmm:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nietzschean posted:

I guess I am an odd duck, in that I have never had issue with elves in any of my fortresses beyond I think my first or second one that lived through to spring.

Nah, that's normal. It pretty much takes a deliberate effort to get elves angry enough for anything to happen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just embarked on a tile with a salty river. I'm trying to set up a desalination pump so I can have a clean well to drink from. I have it set up to pump from the south and have walls surrounding the output tile to keep the water in. This should work fine right?
What if I connected a waterwheel to it? Would that fill up the resevoir on the z level below the surface and stop or would it pump water up through the well and flood my fort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

the best part is when you accidentally traded back one of their own wooden items and they got mad and left.

I think that got fixed with the introduction of Grown Wood items.