Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hedrigall posted:

British space opera, best space opera :colbert:

Examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Get the Lensmen and Skylark series.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jng2058 posted:

Examples?

Reynolds, Banks.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Reynolds, Banks.

Don't forget Neal Asher.
Also, please forget Peter Hamilton.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've read E.E. Smith, Banks, and Reynolds. I'll look for Asher. Anyone else?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I've read E.E. Smith, Banks, and Reynolds. I'll look for Asher. Anyone else?

Opinions differ. I really despise Asher - he's like Banks, but cheesy and fascist. Hamilton has one really good single volume work, and that is the Great North Road.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Has anyone read Michael Cobley's Humanity's Fire series? I got sorta interested in it after seeing a blurb of praise on the cover from Iain Banks. I know how much people generally respect him, so there's a better chance he wasn't a blurbwhore and the series is good.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Get the Lensmen and Skylark series.

Holy crap Skylark. Rampant misogyny for all. I enjoyed Skylark DuQuesne, but man, it feels so dated :psyduck: Also, somewhat casual genocide.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

savinhill posted:

Has anyone read Michael Cobley's Humanity's Fire series? I got sorta interested in it after seeing a blurb of praise on the cover from Iain Banks. I know how much people generally respect him, so there's a better chance he wasn't a blurbwhore and the series is good.

Opinions vary. He's certainly no Banks, but I liked the first book. Still need to read the rest.

Check out this recent review by someone comparing the books favourably to Banks: http://www.nimbusspace.co.uk/2015/02/humanitys-fire/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

oTHi posted:

Holy crap Skylark. Rampant misogyny for all. I enjoyed Skylark DuQuesne, but man, it feels so dated :psyduck: Also, somewhat casual genocide.

Oh god yes! It is dated and misogynistic and it's still a hell of a story...and I still feel bad for liking it, but goddamn is Blackie DuQuesne a great villain.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I've been reading through the Cassandra Kresnov series again. Joel Shepherd really has a thing for well meaning experts ruling the directionless masses through strength of arms, doesn't he? In Trial of Blood and Steel the heroine leads her armies to subjugate the defenseless fantasy-Christian city states (although granted those city-states were defenseless because the genocidal crusade they launched was routed) and bring them easy birth control, sanitation, and hopefully make them less genocidal. Here in book five, Kresnov participates in a counter-coup (against the legitimate chief of state, it's a long story).

It would also be nice if he stopped abruptly killing of legitimately interesting supporting characters.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
aaaaargh why do spacefleet battles have to be such a ghetto genre

I just want some cool navy war fiction, why is that too much to ask, why can't there just be a hundred books like A Passage At Arms

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Mars4523 posted:

Joel Shepherd really has a thing for well meaning experts ruling the directionless masses through strength of arms, doesn't he?

This is about 90% of all mil sf writers unfortunately - what you described doesn't even register as a blip on my "enlightened super-soldier shows the sheeple the error of their ways" radar.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mcustic posted:

Opinions differ. I really despise Asher - he's like Banks, but cheesy and fascist. Hamilton has one really good single volume work, and that is the Great North Road.

Lol.
Great North Road wasn't particularly good, it was basically Hamiltons copy of Hyperion.

Also, Asher is hardly fascist. He qualifies for the Bechdel test better than most authors as seen in the last book.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That doesn't mean much, Baby Got Back by the esteemed poet Sir Mixalot passes the Bechdel Test.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

That doesn't mean much, Baby Got Back by the esteemed poet Sir Mixalot passes the Bechdel Test.

Holy poo poo you just blew my mind.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mother of all fucks :aaaaa:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

blackmongoose posted:

This is about 90% of all mil sf writers unfortunately - what you described doesn't even register as a blip on my "enlightened super-soldier shows the sheeple the error of their ways" radar.
Granted the opposition is less "the public" (although there are some hits against populism and pacifism) and more dove bureaucrats and politicians who so don't want a return to war that they're willing to assassinate innocent civilians, impose martial law on the capital city, and use massive gunships to assassinate rival security officials in public places to execute a coup and suborn the traditional democratic processes. It's a very odd book.

The author's disdain for pacifism is a bit more annoying because it manifests as "Those pacifists are angry because we fought back against the assholes who came to our world and massacred our civilians" or later on "Those pacifists are angry that we invaded a world because their government was slaughtering hundreds of thousands of its own civilians". It's military science fiction and all, but still a fairly dishonest representation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Also, Asher is hardly fascist. He qualifies for the Bechdel test better than most authors as seen in the last book.

What the hell

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mods please rename this thread, tia.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

So does Gabriele d'Annunzio.

:italy:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
So I actually like Peter Hamilton, though he could tone down the boning, can anyone recommend something similar? Preferably a long series :)

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

zokie posted:

So I actually like Peter Hamilton, though he could tone down the boning, can anyone recommend something similar? Preferably a long series :)

Hit Neal Asher and the Polity yet? Also possibly the Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepherd.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Opinions vary. He's certainly no Banks, but I liked the first book. Still need to read the rest.

Check out this recent review by someone comparing the books favourably to Banks: http://www.nimbusspace.co.uk/2015/02/humanitys-fire/

Thanks. That reviewer seems pretty positive about it and some of the world-building details he mentions(the Godhead, alien religious empire and Knights of the Legion of Aviators all sound like they'd contribute to a cool setting to me) makes me want to read it the next time I get into some space opera.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

zokie posted:

His newest series (Chronicle of the Fallers, follows up the Commonwealth and Void series') has very little sex. It's like he listened to the feedback.

In fact, at one point a teenaged girl (described as very attractive) tries to throw herself at the 900 year old protagonist and he basically says "No way, you're still a kid. Ew". I can't really recall any sex scenes in the first book.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

syphon posted:

His newest series (Chronicle of the Fallers, follows up the Commonwealth and Void series') has very little sex. It's like he listened to the feedback.

In fact, at one point a teenaged girl (described as very attractive) tries to throw herself at the 900 year old protagonist and he basically says "No way, you're still a kid. Ew". I can't really recall any sex scenes in the first book.
... why does Peter Hamilton have a teenaged girl throw herself at his 900 year old protagonist?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

... why does Peter Hamilton have a teenaged girl throw herself at his 900 year old protagonist?

Because he's Peter F. Hamilton, and he's super into age-gap sex.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Darth Walrus posted:

Because he's Peter F. Hamilton, and he's super into age-gap sex.
People in this thread keep saying that, but I honestly can't remember any examples, and there are definitely no Lazarus Long moments popping up when I think back on the books.
I haven't read all from him though. Still missing The Void trilogy, the last to Greg Mandel books and Misspent Youth, which I guess is the worst offender, since it's generally rated lowest.

So in the Night's Dawn trilogy, and this is all from memory, the main protagonist who is described as a young guy, sexes up the girl in the space station, who I don't remember being described as a minor, and the upper class farmer girl, and while some of it was explicit, it didn't grab me as old man raping minor.
In the Commonwealth Saga (- Misspent Youth), i don't remember any explicit sex scenes, that made go "Eeww".
And again in Fallen Dragon and the first Greg Mandel book, I don't remember anything sex related either.

Is it just because these scenes are somewhat explicit, is it because they don't fit in with the story or what is that makes so many people comment on it?

It's been some years ago since I read the books, so it might just be my memory or perhaps I just don't really register if the sex scenes are creepy (which is a bit disturbing :( ). Perhaps it's just because I read the books as pew pew action adventure and not reading to much between the lines or hope there are hints at high literature.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you want to read a much-lauded SF author who writes tons of really offputting sex scenes, read Richard K Morgan.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

People in this thread keep saying that, but I honestly can't remember any examples, and there are definitely no Lazarus Long moments popping up when I think back on the books.

Just off the top of my head from Pandora's Star there's the wormhole tech inventor who had a whole harem of wives. And the other guy whose wife was killed and he hooks up with a 19 year old swimmer.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Night's Dawn rural world girl was 15-16 iirc, main guy was 21-22, and he was really skeezy from the start, knowing he was going to fly off and leave the poor naive bumpkin, but he just had to get some. Not a huge age difference, but completely unnecessary to the plot and still a well traveled sophisticated guy taking advantage of the totally hot young naive virgin.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

darnon posted:

Just off the top of my head from Pandora's Star there's the wormhole tech inventor who had a whole harem of wives. And the other guy whose wife was killed and he hooks up with a 19 year old swimmer.
I don't remember any explicit harem sex. Mormons and other cultures also have families with more than one wife. Wasn't that just a description of decadent rich people?
Can't remember the the guy/swimmer girl couple. Was there explicit sex or was it just implied? Was there a huge age difference? Was it totally out of character and situation for both of them to suddenly get it on?

RVProfootballer posted:

Night's Dawn rural world girl was 15-16 iirc, main guy was 21-22, and he was really skeezy from the start, knowing he was going to fly off and leave the poor naive bumpkin, but he just had to get some. Not a huge age difference, but completely unnecessary to the plot and still a well traveled sophisticated guy taking advantage of the totally hot young naive virgin.
So basically not that creepy as it was young people. Unnecessary side stories with sex? Probably, but perhaps also to show that main guy was a bit of an rear end in a top hat and, as you said, show the rural girl as extremely naive.

I'm wondering if it's simply the sex scenes, as in any sex scenes, that makes some people uncomfortable because "my scifi should be pure and clean" (except for all the blood and guts of course), and that has taken off to become "[writer] is a dirty old man who only writes sex scenes because he wants to have sex with young girls" and is now a semi-accepted fact?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No, Hamilton is definitely more enthusiastic about explicit sex than a lot of other writers — it's not a case of 'all sex scenes are bad', he favors them heavily and not often well. Valente wrote a whole book about sex and I don't really have the same kinds of problem with it.

It's odd that you're forgetting some of these — the 19 year old swimmer-turned-reporter is a major plot element in Pandora's Star, she seduces the traumatized and rather pathetic old guy in order to manipulate him and use him as a source in her investigation. She keeps him in a hotel room and pacifies him with sex whenever he gets ideas. There's also another significant couple in the same book where the guy's a young country Scottish type and the woman's decades/centuries older and a powerful political or economic figure, I can't remember.

All that said, I'm not wildly creeped out by Hamilton because the sex at least tends to be consensual and positive for both parties, even if the setup's sometimes quite skeevy. I'm sure someone will remind me of something I've forgotten, though :v:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 3, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
That's definitely a more reasonable way to describe his use of sex scenes and I agree that he does have a lot of them.
My main beef was just the "Hamilton is a perv" when it's simply just regular sex scenes.

It's probably 6-8 years ago since I read them, but yeah the reporter I remember. I had forgotten she was a swimmer.

I just read Labyrinth, one of the Vorkosigan novellas, and I wonder how people felt when Miles got it on with the 16 year old super mutant soldier. Wasn't that also a smart rear end taking advantage of a naive girl?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Anyone know if Blindsight/Echopraxia is getting a third book? I can't find anything online but I may suck at looking.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

He didn't want to but now I think he might be considering it. He has to have a stock of good ideas to explore and recently I think he stumbled on one.

Personally I felt that the most interesting Big Idea in Echopraxia didn't get nearly enough play, and I wanted more of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

I haven't read all from him though. Still missing The Void trilogy, the last to Greg Mandel books and Misspent Youth, which I guess is the worst offender, since it's generally rated lowest.

So in the Night's Dawn trilogy, and this is all from memory, the main protagonist who is described as a young guy, sexes up the girl in the space station, who I don't remember being described as a minor, and the upper class farmer girl, and while some of it was explicit, it didn't grab me as old man raping minor.
In the Commonwealth Saga (- Misspent Youth), i don't remember any explicit sex scenes, that made go "Eeww".
And again in Fallen Dragon and the first Greg Mandel book, I don't remember anything sex related either.

Is it just because these scenes are somewhat explicit, is it because they don't fit in with the story or what is that makes so many people comment on it?

It's been some years ago since I read the books, so it might just be my memory or perhaps I just don't really register if the sex scenes are creepy (which is a bit disturbing :( ). Perhaps it's just because I read the books as pew pew action adventure and not reading to much between the lines or hope there are hints at high literature.

The Greg Mandel series has the thirtysomething main character's relationship with his teenage wife and a romance subplot between a fifteen-year-old boy and a twentysomething prostitute. Night's Dawn has the whole Joshua and Louise thing. The Commonwealth Saga has the fifteen-year-old Orion losing his virginity to an older girl. Fallen Dragon is about the main character travelling back in time to gently caress his fifteeen-year-old girlfriend. Misspent Youth speaks for itself. There's definitely a pattern, and since the British AOC is sixteen for the purpose of Romeo and Juliet cases and eighteen otherwise, it's kind of skeevy.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 3, 2015

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
So am I the only one who's struggling a bit with The Dragon Never Sleeps?
I'm maybe a 1/6 into the book, and I still don't grasp all the concepts presented. What's the deal with the Other dudes, and how the societies are connected/ the different power structures?

This might be related to myself, and how I'm reading in bits and pieces while commuting to work.

Too bad I that I can't really google up stuff as I'm sure to spoiler myself.

Getting flashbacks from trying to power through Ulysses as a 14 year old (I'm not a native English speaker) :ohdear:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Daktari posted:

I'm maybe a 1/6 into the book, and I still don't grasp all the concepts presented. What's the deal with the Other dudes, and how the societies are connected/ the different power structures?

This might be related to myself, and how I'm reading in bits and pieces while commuting to work.

Too bad I that I can't really google up stuff as I'm sure to spoiler myself.

Getting flashbacks from trying to power through Ulysses as a 14 year old (I'm not a native English speaker) :ohdear:

Try to find some kind of wiki or dictionary that won't spoil the plot. There shouldn't be major spoilers if you're careful.

Also, (don't) try reading Quantum Thief and Fractal Prince as a non native English speaker. gently caress those books. The sentences felt like going around in a circle while spouting out gibberish that's SO COOL while you don't know what the gently caress is going on. I finished the first book and I felt ok with it, it was complicated but interesting. The second book, gently caress that. I want something that, while more poorly written according to some, is actually readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Daktari posted:

Half of the stuff is just something that Glen Cook thought up on the spot. I don't get the sense that he wrote out a complete bible before he started the book, or that he went back and changed earlier things to fit better with later things as the story developed. And, as I recall, pretty much halfway through the book he just gives up on one set of characters entirely and starts over again with a different crew.

• Locked thread