Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

moana posted:

Great, just got this email from my agent.

No, I would not like to offer over list price, boo to this market. This is a run down pre-foreclosure 2br. UGH.
Serious question cuz I'm a newb. Why does 10% vs 20% down matter for appeal to seller? I get why 20%+note vs 100% cash makes a difference (time to close), but why 20% vs less? Are FHA mortgages always really slow to close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

SiGmA_X posted:

Serious question cuz I'm a newb. Why does 10% vs 20% down matter for appeal to seller? I get why 20%+note vs 100% cash makes a difference (time to close), but why 20% vs less? Are FHA mortgages always really slow to close?

I think it's because financing often falls through, which sets the seller back at least a month in most cases. 20% down means much better likelihood of closing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Andy Dufresne posted:

Going into a contract tomorrow on a 1450 sqft house in Carrollton. Very good neighborhood and location for me, but not where I thought I'd end up. I had to put a clause in the contract basically acknowledging that I'm buying above appraisal value, but the home came in 100k under budget so the difference won't break me.

Two things really sold me: all gas appliances (rare in tx) and a dog door. I'm a simple man.

Gas is very rare - I'm super jealous. Congratulations man! Carrolton is the poo poo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hey, I can just widen that lower hole to fit my grounded outlets, right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, just hit it with a power drill. If you dont want to do that, just snip the prong from the plug itself with wire cutters.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey, I can just widen that lower hole to fit my grounded outlets, right?

Are you serious? I can't tell. Please replace that with something that isn't an electrical horror show and make sure it is wired correctly. Please don't die in the process. I think that is a combined 120/240 outlet and I think it doesn't have a ground. Cool historical trophy though!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Is that in the U.S.A.?

Once an inspector gets near that place get ready to replace every outlet in your house with tamper resistant versions. :smith:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Are you serious? I can't tell.

Now I feel bad. Thought it was an obvious joke. If it was serious: Likely all the wiring in the house (and panel?) needs to be replaced. Guessing thats not 12-2 romex and is instead an old 2-wire with no ground.

Apr 7, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Now I feel bad. Thought it was an obvious joke. If it was serious: Likely all the wiring in the house (and panel?) needs to be replaced. Guessing thats not 12-2 romex and is instead an old 2-wire with no ground.

It's all new, the house was built in 1901 but the wiring was all updated. That's the only outlet like that in the place. No idea why they left it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's all new, the house was built in 1901 but the wiring was all updated. That's the only outlet like that in the place. No idea why they left it.

Oh, good. I hope they left it for fun and isn't connected to anything. But if it is you should disconnect it or swap it out for a modern outlet.

If you want, go show it off to the electricians in the wiring thread, it's pretty cool.

Apr 7, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Oh, good. I hope they left it for fun and isn't connected to anything. But if it is you should disconnect it or swap it out for a modern outlet.

I'm going to stick my dick in it.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

blarzgh posted:

Gas is very rare - I'm super jealous. Congratulations man! Carrolton is the poo poo.

I've got your drinks if we ever do another Dallas goon meet with Scraps. I've worked with Tara, Brad's sister-in-law and she's been great.

Apr 7, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I have a basement and all of my appliances are gas.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

slap me silly posted:

I think that is a combined 120/240 outlet and I think it doesn't have a ground. Cool historical trophy though!

It's a Nurpolian outlet, both the parallel and tandem sockets are (most likely) 120v. The outlet was rated for 240, and was intended to be used with either (because people hadn't figured out yet that using the same socket for two voltages is dumb as poo poo), but 240v use would have been uncommon. So if he drills out the bottom hole and uses it as a ground, 50/50 chance it uses neutral as a ground, or uses hot as ground.

Also, it's possibly only rated for 10A.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

I am a Texas Unicorn

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Andy Dufresne posted:

I've got your drinks if we ever do another Dallas goon meet with Scraps. I've worked with Tara, Brad's sister-in-law and she's been great.

Awesome, glad to hear it - you've got a deal. I'll call Don tomorrow and tell him you're happy with them.

Apr 7, 2003

The idea of living in a place with no gas appliances and no basements is horrifying.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Where in Texas do you live with a basement? I have lived here 26 years and never seen a house with a basement.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

The idea of living in a place with no gas appliances and no basements is horrifying.

Yeah like I wanna live somewhere with a dank pit under my house that needs a pump to keep my house from becoming a mildew factory every time it rains.

Basements are dumb.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You can have a basement without needing a sump pump to keep it dry. And you can need a sump pump to keep your house from becoming a mildew factory without having a basement.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Nohearum posted:

The Denver real estate market is a complete clusterfuck right now.

I'm in Boulder and want to put a gun in my mouth.

Apr 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Yeah like I wanna live somewhere with a dank pit under my house that needs a pump to keep my house from becoming a mildew factory every time it rains.

Basements are dumb.

Basements are actually good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Basements are actually good.

I know that goons are naturally drawn to their parents' basements but that does not necessarily mean that basements are good. In fact, they're extra dumb

Apr 7, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I know that goons are naturally drawn to their parents' basements but that does not necessarily mean that basements are good. In fact, they're extra dumb

Haha, yeah, hang on while I put my furnace, hot water heater, and laundry equipment in a closet like some plebe.

Basements are necessary because all that stuff and more goes into a basement.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
A townhouse I am really interested in, but haven't seen in person, is under contract. Is it possible to find out what step of the game they are in?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Citizen Tayne posted:

Haha, yeah, hang on while I put my furnace, hot water heater, and laundry equipment in a closet like some plebe.

Basements are necessary because all that stuff and more goes into a basement.

Laundry in the basement is for plebes. Its all about that 2nd floor laundry room.

But yeah, basements are loving awesome. Beyond the HVAC stuff that goes down there, you have a ton of extra storage for stuff like patio furniture in the winter, housing your beer making equipment and the occasional sex slave.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Basements are for turning into home gyms so you can work out whenever you want in your boxers.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Sound_man posted:

A townhouse I am really interested in, but haven't seen in person, is under contract. Is it possible to find out what step of the game they are in?

No

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Basements are for turning into home gyms so you can work out whenever you want in your boxers.

Look at this beta not able to walk around in his own house in his boxers

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sound_man posted:

Call the listing broker and ask if they're still accepting backup offers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So it turns out the condo market near me is dead (probably because every place seems to have 400+/mo assessments and nothing to show for it), but I'd much rather look at a single family home. Went to an open house for one, within ten minutes there were over 30 people there. One loudly offered cash for it, and the realtor responded that he got 7 such offers the first day on the market (Friday). 400k for a 1100 sqft house built in 1885, basement ceiling was 5'4". I'm sure at least one offer included no inspection. (Evanston, il, ten minutes to the train on the poor side of the tracks).

I think I'm starting to understand what you folks in Denver/seattle/dc/bay area are dealing with. Really depressing.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah it's pretty insane where I live right now

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-business/ci_27614117/hot-housing-market-boulder-county-home-buyers-inventory?source=most_viewed

quote:

We're within sight of the last single-family detached (home) in the County

Yes, it would have to be the tightest market since I've been doing real estate

Hearing lots of those crazy stories of 10+ offers above asking price as soon as it's listed. Aside from the usual junk mail from realtors trying to convince me to sell every week I've also had two stop by unsolicited in person and try to convince me to sell because of the market right now. Just crazy, is this what Vegas was like in 2006?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah it's pretty insane where I live right now

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-business/ci_27614117/hot-housing-market-boulder-county-home-buyers-inventory?source=most_viewed

Hearing lots of those crazy stories of 10+ offers above asking price as soon as it's listed. Aside from the usual junk mail from realtors trying to convince me to sell every week I've also had two stop by unsolicited in person and try to convince me to sell because of the market right now. Just crazy, is this what Vegas was like in 2006?

It's this way in Dallas and what I'm worried about is how long it will take appraisals to catch up to the market. I haven't gotten my appraisal back on the home I'm buying yet, but I fully expect it to appraise 10k under my offer and require a kidney as down payment.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

It's this way in Dallas and what I'm worried about is how long it will take appraisals to catch up to the market. I haven't gotten my appraisal back on the home I'm buying yet, but I fully expect it to appraise 10k under my offer and require a kidney as down payment.

Why does that matter, unless you want paper equity to borrow against

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Why does that matter, unless you want paper equity to borrow against

LTV ratios affect borrowing costs. I'm locked in right now, and if my house appraises $10k low my options are either to take a quarter-percent higher loan or add $7500 to my down payment (planning the latter).

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''
Ignoring all the fantastic advice in this thread, I put an offer on a house today... In the UK.

With an average asking price of £413,203 in my area!

:downs:

Wish me luck, anyway!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Bought our house about a month ago. Thanks for some of the random advice in the thread (even though I lurk a lot more than post).

1700 sq. ft with about 700 sq ft. of finished basement, the rest done really nicely with shelves and a workbench, and a nice laundry room with a chute from the upper floor bathroom closet (so not in the open). It's perfect for what we wanted (room to have people over) but not so huge we feel lost and not too much to keep clean with a couple of hours from my wife and I each week. Also a nice neighborhood - quiet but about 2 blocks from the main strip in the area (but it's on the very end, so no tractor trailers at night or anything).

Happy with the price and everything. Thanks thread!

Now trying to budget properly to fill out all the extra space with furniture since we didn't have nearly this much space in the last place we were in.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I'm a first time house buyer. I found a pretty decent condo. Its a tight fit for my family, but it looks like we can squeeze in. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger though. I'm not sure if this is just firt-time-buying jitters or if its a sign I should walk away. This might be a weird thing to ask but did anyone else have a hard deciding on their first purchase, and did they regret it afterwards?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ryde posted:

I'm a first time house buyer. I found a pretty decent condo. Its a tight fit for my family, but it looks like we can squeeze in. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger though. I'm not sure if this is just firt-time-buying jitters or if its a sign I should walk away. This might be a weird thing to ask but did anyone else have a hard deciding on their first purchase, and did they regret it afterwards?

Yes and yes, I bought a vastly over inflated house right before the housing crash because it was what "married couples were supposed to do" and my idiot real estate agent "friend" sold me on what a good deal it was. Zillow lists it as half what we paid for it, and it hasn't sold to a actual owner since we walked away from it. Pretty embarrassing have a foreclosure on your credit but it hasn't been nearly as traumatic as we feared at the time, and now it's almost about to drop of.

That said, whether or not the house is right for you and/or a good purchase won't be easy to answer without more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I almost always have a huge sense of buyer's remorse but man oh man that was not an issue with buying my first place at all. Getting home after signing everything, getting a locksmith to change all the keys that afternoon and just lying on the floor for awhile was the best feeling ever. I really got wrapped up in the emotion of that the first time, probably a little too much since I had a long string of lovely landlords that regularly broke the law before that. Just felt amazing knowing that I had the only key and noone could barge in for some bullshit reason.