Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Swartz posted:

I'm pretty familiar with Daemonion (their sound guy) of the LURK team (who is also a Goon), and I don't believe there was any system like this in-place. It requires changes to the engine, which they had only been doing mildly before moving to UE4. I'm pretty sure they weren't going to do that.
However, Shoker 3.0 for CoP is coming apparently the end of this month and has that same feature.
You can view videos of it on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ShokerTeam

Maybe I am mis-remembering, but I thought they had intended to put a pretty robust modification system in place? Maybe it was closer in spirit than in practice?

Edit: I can't find the video they released showing it in game :negative: . It showed mods to the vintorez and and AK being played around with, I believe.

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So with the next patch I'm introducing the Black Parasite, a lovely little thing from the stalker books that is really cool and allows for a lot of fun.

I'm looking for suggestions for ways to gently caress with the player. I've already got a handful of fun Eternal Darkness style effects in the bag, but I'd like to get people's creative juices flowing.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Black Parasite makes me think of something chewing on a person's nervous system causing random weapon discharges, dropped gear, or shaking through the body make the stalker go through surgery to remove it and/or meds to suppress it.

Something that Infects/affects artifacts that can reverse their bonuses or increase the radiation output or just completely turns them to slag and you have to either toss everything on your belt to get rid of it or find an anomaly or other way to cleanse them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In the books I guess it's a very strange mutant that masquerades as an artefact, then latches onto a stalker and mentally drains them. They hide on corpses, so stalkers refer to it as the "Corpserobber's Brand" and believe it's a punishment sent from the Zone for those who desecrate the dead. One of the popular legends is that the only way to get rid of it is for someone to willingly take it from you.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

In the books I guess it's a very strange mutant that masquerades as an artefact, then latches onto a stalker and mentally drains them. They hide on corpses, so stalkers refer to it as the "Corpserobber's Brand" and believe it's a punishment sent from the Zone for those who desecrate the dead. One of the popular legends is that the only way to get rid of it is for someone to willingly take it from you.

Does it kill you in seven days?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MadBimber posted:

Does it kill you in seven days?

Haha, probably not.

Right now I've got all the basic framework for acquiring and getting rid of the drat thing in place, but all I'm really lacking is neat ideas for effects. The ones I have at the moment are rather pedestrian. Basically:

Fake emissions. Fake messages on your PDA. Strange sounds. Ghostly images floating infront of you. A possibility of finding your own dead body. Having a fake death (complete with screen fade to black and game over message displayed). Being 'shot' in the head with a gauss rifle

I'm also very, very proud of my new transmute which has an amazing effect. I've mainly used it as a testing ground for scripted artifact behavior.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Haha, probably not.

Right now I've got all the basic framework for acquiring and getting rid of the drat thing in place, but all I'm really lacking is neat ideas for effects. The ones I have at the moment are rather pedestrian. Basically:

Fake emissions. Fake messages on your PDA. Strange sounds. Ghostly images floating infront of you. A possibility of finding your own dead body. Having a fake death (complete with screen fade to black and game over message displayed). Being 'shot' in the head with a gauss rifle

I'm also very, very proud of my new transmute which has an amazing effect. I've mainly used it as a testing ground for scripted artifact behavior.

If this kind of thing can be implemented in a way that doesn't become obnoxious or detracts from gameplay it sounds incredible. The surreal parts of the setting that I wish misery focused on instead of adding a million inventory items (none of which are artifacts).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now I'm thinking of multiple levels of 'insanity', I guess. First one is mild, second worse and the third you get everything flung at you.

I've also included an option to disable the third-wall breaking effects as I get the feeling these will be the most obnoxious.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 349 days!
- artifacts that disappear just before you reach them, or when you pick them up
- chance for bodies of stalkers you kill to move a little on their own as you approach or loot
- anomaly detector stops working/works at shorter distance/gives false positives

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The effect where the camera zooms in on a Controller when it makes an attack is always good for a quick freakout, even without a Controller there.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In other news I was going to release the 1.0.3 update sometime soon, but I've ran into a few bugs. One of them was related to the night vision, which I have now fixed (I assumed this was down to various different broken scripts, turns out the overlay it adds to the game render wasn't being destroyed properly if you reload a save, so it would stack up constantly and cause crashes).

The crash related to loading saves has now been fixed (thank god)

There's also an issue of the various traders dropping their entire inventory if they get killed, which is fun but there's two quite substantial traders you can kill and they have some very good gear on them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ah, gently caress it. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Sorry for those who are playing it already, but with the next patch you're going to have to start a new game. I promise you it will be worth it, though.

I'm going through the levels and on every hanging lamp object I'm converting it over to the new light manager scheme. What does this do? Well, every time an emission hits it will affect these lights. So if an emission hits at night, chances are good you're going to be plunged into semi-darkness or at the very least have a hard time getting around. Lights will either now blink or shut off when an emission hits.

Not all lights will, unfortunately, as some are baked into the levels so these can't be affected, but for the most part Emissions will be cool as gently caress.

Underground lights will blink, probably, and not shut off completely.

I'm also not going to half-rear end it and convert the rest of the npcs into the Customization pack versions, so the game will look even better still.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the latest TFW release I'm at 3.8. Restarting wouldn't be an issue

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Set to private. Another link?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

frank.club posted:

What's the latest TFW release I'm at 3.8. Restarting wouldn't be an issue

This is a Lost Alpha mod. Maybe it's just the sleep deprivation talking, but it's coming along nicely.

I'll see if I can get a good video of an emission at the Bar later on. Will be fun to see all those lights flickering.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

This is a Lost Alpha mod. Maybe it's just the sleep deprivation talking, but it's coming along nicely.

I'll see if I can get a good video of an emission at the Bar later on. Will be fun to see all those lights flickering.

Right, I should really reinstall that.
I saw something weird when I entered the garbage from cordon. There was this huge fireball effect to my left past the vehicle scrap yard. Then a thunderstorm hit and I started hallucinating cats i think

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If this kind of thing can be implemented in a way that doesn't become obnoxious or detracts from gameplay it sounds incredible. The surreal parts of the setting that I wish misery focused on instead of adding a million inventory items (none of which are artifacts).

Yeah seriously, that sounds like a refreshing addition to the game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One other question. What's with the shimmering effects on the towers in freedom base?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Lost Alpha engine being built with functions for determining which objects are on the belt is a pretty cool thing. Now you can make cool artifacts that have effects beyond just giving you damage protection.

I love the transmutation I've made. It's a pretty funny effect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are any of the mods that make losing factions a bit more likely to set foot outside their remaining unconquerable bases and do a bit of fighting compatible with Clear Sky Complete?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So it turns out the majority of lights in the Bar Area of the Great Metal Factory are actually hardcoded in and not affected by the light manager at all :(

Still, a fair few lights in the world are, so it should be a neat effect when it happens.

Also set it to switch off stalker's flashlights when the emission hits. Isn't really fair that it only affects your flashlight.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFau6CldFg

Still desperately trying to find a proper dubstep remix of the Bandit Radio.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFau6CldFg

Still desperately trying to find a proper dubstep remix of the Bandit Radio.
On that note - is there a point to joining the Bandits (in Clear Sky) or do their quests run out right after Garbage, and I'll just piss the Loners off for no real reason?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bandits are the unofficial hard mode. Some mods add cool new things bandits can do like robbing people but otherwise they're not ideal

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Bandits are the unofficial hard mode. Some mods add cool new things bandits can do like robbing people but otherwise they're not ideal
Not quite my point. I don't mind fighting everyone with only ill-equipped marauders on my side - as long as I have things to do for the faction once I leave Garbage, rather than just get marked as everyone's enemy with not story to show for it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I agree content is a bit sparse outside of story missions (for most factions in general, if they don't involve the story in some way) but bandits do have it particularly bad, since they don't even really take a huge part in the story outside of a few missions in the Garbage.

They don't really have a goal beyond "We want to make money". It's only really in Call of Pripyat that they get developed beyond that, with Sultan taking them in a new direction, but even that isn't hugely expanded on.

The bandits are obviously intended to be a slight parody of the 'thief in law' concept, so I did a bit of research on them and there's so much weird and cool stuff that's only been briefly touched upon.

I guess most mod makers want to make them the equivalent of the mafia or whatever when in reality they're a whole other kettle of fish.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Shadowplay doesn't handle games crashing very well.

Made a video showing the new emission behaviour in the Cordon (Sid's bunker has a few newly scripted lights).

Thought I'd end the video with spawning a controller and it crashed the game. Presumably thanks to the 'Stalkers being turned into Zombies' aspect of the Deadly Controller script. So I'm going to have to disable that aspect until it's fixed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you have to be facing a controller for it to pull off that screen pull thing. Is it viable to walk backward to it and load it full of shotgun shells?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I believe it will do it regardless of direction your facing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there goes that idea

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Emission test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5HRrHKHv8

Also testing out the Russian VO. Do people prefer it? Ignore the terrible radio music, that's going to be changed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Also testing out the Russian VO. Do people prefer it?
It's already better than any of the voice acting in Call of Pripyat.

On the other hand, change Marked One's face back. Having him be a thin, frail, balding everydude is kinda the point.

quote:

Ignore the terrible radio music, that's going to be changed.
No! Keep it. Use the scene as the looping footage on the tv. Hot steamy Soviet action.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Marked One's face is exactly the same as it is in Lost Alpha and SoC, it's just higher quality.

The chat/loot icons have been changed to show the face of the person you're talking to :v:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

Ignore the terrible radio music, that's going to be changed.

I haven't played LA in a century, so I don't remember if that opening cutscene has any music in it. I honestly say you should keep it, it gives Sidorovich a bit of subtle characterization and having an outdated radio playing some old-fashioned tune fits with the overall feel of the bunker.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He's got a radio, I've added extra music into it that is appropriate, I just think that particular track is badly commented and is way, way too loud. If it's playing, you can barely hear Sid talking to you.

Also Lost Alpha is really, really loving me off. Turns out that decompiling and recompiling the all.spawn will irreversibly break the game later on, particularly when you get to Yantar. I'm guessing this is because the universal ACDC hasn't been updated since sometime last year.

So unfortunately a new game will be required, but mainly to get rid of the old, corrupt all.spawn that currently exists. The cool emission light manager stuff will not be in (for the moment) until I figure out a way to do it without editing the spawn at all.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow so getting an emission or military helo while taking a base in TFW is a total godsend. Whatever script that tells the ai to take cover completely overrides their aggro on you. This includes guys you're already fighting inside. They huddle up like fish in a barrel

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Did Misery 2 ever stop being bad? If so, is there any short and to the point comparison anywhere regarding the differences between Misery 1 and current Misery 2?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ddraig posted:

I believe it will do it regardless of direction your facing.

It does. As long as it can see you it can attack.

Over the weekend I shifted back to the original SoC and figured i'd pop in complete just to have the ability to gently caress around. Went through the "save the scientists" mission and half way through while clearing out mercs ran into a group of some 11 snorks. they managed to pin me in a corner and rape me. T'was an interesting little WTF?! moment.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So version 1.0.3 is nearly ready. Right now I'm editing a few minor things (such as giving Veles new dialog if you're a Zombie and not, aswell as editing a few conditions like the dark valley switch to 'Bandits' not working if you're a zombie, as Bandits may be stupid, but I think even they'd recognize a Zombie trying to pass itself off as one of them)

Eventually I hope to make all dialogs you can access while Zombied have both a regular version and a Zombied version. That's a task for a different day, though.

I won't be releasing 1.0.3 as a patch since a new game start is absolutely required and I'd recommend people delete the old version and install the new one since it will fix any broken spawns etc.

Here's the cumulative patch notes up until now:

quote:

Version 1.0.3: Shattered Spirits

NEW GAME START IS REQUIRED. THERE HAS BEEN EXTENSIVE CHANGES TO SPAWNS, SCRIPTS, DIALOGS AND CHARACTER PROFILES.

* Alcoholism has been introduced. Drinking too much alcohol at once can kill you, and too much overall will get you a crippling dependency. Drink in moderation! (thanks to AMK, a blast from the past)
* For the purposes of scripts, wine is now considered 'vodka'. It will get you 'drunk', can contribute to dependency, and will contribute to psy-healing. Beer is not (for the moment)
* New transmutation: "Stalker's Remorse". Sakharov has the details.
* Set the world on fire with the flamethrower. Sakharov is selling his experimental prototype. He also offers several means to refuel it. (Currently doesn't display particles on enemies as I would like, will attempt to do this later on)
* The stalker trader in the Construction Site has a new sideline. He can get you the good poo poo. (Thanks to LWO for the framework.)
* Implemented several fixes proposed by Byte_Me
* Reverted bind_car.script - should fix crashes related to restarting Alife Simulator. Car binder was broken... whoops!
* Changed conditions in bind_shelter to hopefully account for all possibilities during surges. If you still die in a shelter, tell me and I may have a solution.
* Fixed night vision scripts to prevent crashes when reloading saves.
* Fixed various crashes related to merc trader in the Construction Site.
* Added transmutations to trader buy/sell lists. Traders now buy them for more. Various parasites, due to their common nature and them being failed transmutes, are now essentially worthless. Traders will not buy them.
* Changed condition for exiting Sid's bunker. You now can't leave unless you take items from the drawer.
* Updated all known NPCs to use updated models/icons. If I've missed any, or you encounter errors with missing dialogs, please tell me.
* Beefed up bandits in Dark Valley slightly.
* Fixed XM1014 icon.
* Many new drinks! Pray you don't find them.
* Final sweep of dialogs to correct typos. If I've missed any, let me know!
* Updated scripts to load middlegray/sun luminosity changes suggested by S3rious.
* Changed various sleep conditions for hardcore mode that were being erroneously called during regular mode.
* Added in Modular Nightvision devices.
* Added new item property: "eat_psy". Similar to eat_health and eat_power, but it affects psy health. (No items actually use this yet, but they will in the future)
* Added Strelok's Special suit.
* Changed 'V' key to check for filters and oxygen tank in Hardcore Mode.
* Changed how radiation works in Hardcore Mode.
* Changed dynamic huds to work better with all outfits and upgrades.
* Nerfed the OICW slightly. Now doesn't take down helicopters with three shots!
* Changed conditions for refilling oxygen tanks. Now you can only see the dialog in hardcore mode, and only if the tank is 'empty'.
* Added additional framework for the next patch: The Black Parasite.
* Fixed dialog crash related to becoming a VIP.

Version 1.0.2: Dangerous mutants, deadly anomalies....

* Added in optional hardcore mode. If you've set any options in lost_alpha_cfg.ltx you will have to set them again as there's a new option added. Sorry!
* Increased the health of mutants slightly. They go down too quick with new weapon damages. Will be slightly more challenging, but not hugely so.
* Fixed scope nightvision. OICW should now work as intended.
* Made anomalies more deadly and changed many particle effects.
* Added binoculars to various traders.
* Updated textures for NPCs. Some have been slightly changed, should be a slight visual improvement.
* Updated flashlight and artefact detector behaviour: Both will cease to function during emissions.
* Updated night vision to hopefully work better during emissions. Night vision should now switch off automatically during a surge.
* Finally added transmutations to detector lists. The elite detector should be able to detect all transmutes. Blue/Green parasites have been added to all detectors.
* Slight colour change to various UI elements.
* Oxygen tanks and filters added to traders. Related to hardcore mode.
* Updated ambient music. Should now be more varied and moody.
* Changed gas mask slightly. If you have a gas mask on your belt, MAKE SURE IT IS OFF BEFORE YOU APPLY THIS PATCH. I've changed the gas mask item section, and it may break your game if you have it on the belt when this patch is applied.
* Updated a few radio scripts to behave properly during emissions/horror time.
* Updated a few more NPCs to use new icons/models. If you see any that still use the old ones, please tell me!
* Added in 'build style' ragdolls to stalkers.
* Few changes to bioradar. Included new sound option in lost_alpha_cfg.ltx
* Updated breathing sound with gasmasks. You now actually have to be alive. If it's a closed system suit, the breathing sound will stop if the suit is compromised.

Hardcore mode information:

Gas masks and closed system suits are now important beyond protecting against gas. Heavy fog, rain and storms will introduce radioactive particles that can be breathed in if you don't have sufficient protection.

Gas masks now REQUIRE you to install a functional filter for them to work. Filters have been added to traders, but will be useless if you don't have hardcore mode enabled.

Closed system suits are now truly closed system. They will protect you provided you have an oxygen tank and the oxygen tank is attached (this defaults to V, will only work if you have a closed system suit, an oxygen tank, and in hardcore mode). Likewise, if the suit is damaged to the point where something breaks, it will not protect you at all, oxygen or not. The suit is compromised, and you'll need to use either a conventional gas mask or get the hell out and somewhere safe. This is largely to prevent SEVA suits etc becoming the only suit you use in late game etc.

Oxygen tanks can be bought and refilled at most traders.

Being inside a suitable shelter will prevent you from being affected by background radiation during storms/fog. These are usually the same shelters you can use during emissions.

Certain dangerous areas (usually underground, or in enclosed areas with lots of anomaly activity) may be dangerous to pass through if you're not protected. The anomaly tunnel in the Cordon is a good example.

Version 1.0.1:

* Fixed missing icons for Thompson.
* Reverted BTR to default. If you happened to have the new, slightly sexed-up version then enjoy it, it won't revert. New spawns will.
* Added stubs for 'Rolling Thunder' quest. Avid file viewers can get a sneak preview of BIG PLANS.
* Updated some old NPCs to use new models/icons.

KNOWN ISSUES (Please do not report these, I'm aware and I'm working on fixing them:

* New artefact detectors will only detect vanilla artefacts. On the plus side, you will never see another Blue/Green Parasite (for the moment). Downside is that if you drop a transmute it will become invisible and won't be able to be picked up. Sorry! Will be going through new transmuted artifacts and adding them to various detectors.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Are there any specific "gently caress screen filters, things in the world can throw you, spin you, kill you, but never ever mess with your vision" mods?

Edit - Still Clear Sky, forgot to note.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For which game?

I can probably whip up something pretty quick.

e: actually it would probably be pretty easy to do yourself.

Virtually all of the screen filters (post process effects) are located in the postprocess.ltx file usually in the config(s)\misc folder.

You should see something along these lines:

code:
[postprocess_steam_mine]
pp_eff_cyclic	= 1
pp_eff_overlap  = true

pp_eff_name	= steam_mine.ppe
radius_min		= 0.7
radius_max		= 1.0

[postprocess_acidic]
pp_eff_cyclic	= 1
pp_eff_overlap  = true

pp_eff_name	= acidic.ppe
radius_min		= 0.3
radius_max		= 1.0

[postprocess_acidic_mine]
pp_eff_cyclic	= 1
pp_eff_overlap  = true

pp_eff_name	= acidic_mine.ppe
radius_min		= 0.7
radius_max		= 1.0

[postprocess_thermal]
pp_eff_cyclic	= 1
pp_eff_overlap  = true

pp_eff_name	= thermal.ppe
radius_min		= 0.3
radius_max		= 1.0

[postprocess_thermal_mine]
pp_eff_cyclic	= 1
pp_eff_overlap  = true

pp_eff_name	= thermal_mine.ppe
radius_min		= 0.7
radius_max		= 1.0

[postprocess_rad]
pp_eff_cyclic	= 1
pp_eff_overlap  = true

pp_eff_name	= radiation.ppe
radius_min		= 0.3
radius_max		= 1.0
Just replace the value in pp_eff_name (the exact name differs between games I think) with something blank and it should disable the effect altogether, I think.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 3, 2015