Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Thanks guys for the advice on the SSD drive. I ended up going the Intel 530 route. Got a 480 gig drive. Got it partitioned and Mountain Lion -> Yosemite on it in less than an hour. The drive is amazing and it's really crazy how much faster my computer is.

I can boot up the machine and be browsing in 16 seconds from pressing the power button... crazy. Wish I had done it sooner. Anyway, thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Thanks guys for the advice on the SSD drive. I ended up going the Intel 530 route. Got a 480 gig drive. Got it partitioned and Mountain Lion -> Yosemite on it in less than an hour. The drive is amazing and it's really crazy how much faster my computer is.

I can boot up the machine and be browsing in 16 seconds from pressing the power button... crazy. Wish I had done it sooner. Anyway, thanks again!

After seeing the performance on my parents Macbook Air, I have to put a SSD in my Macbook Pro now. It's so slow in comparison.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

After seeing the performance on my parents Macbook Air, I have to put a SSD in my Macbook Pro now. It's so slow in comparison.

Do it! What is today a cheap memory upgrade to max it out and an SSD will make it feel like new.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

~Coxy posted:

Semantics.
Apple refuses to issue a trim command to a third party SSD for no good reason.
A trivial hack to patch out the vendor string check in the kernel extension fully enables trim.

They spent more effort to add the vendor string check.

I don't understand what Apple's deal is with not natively supporting TRIM on 3rd party drives is either, but your last sentence implies they did something to specifically lock out the TRIM-related hack when they did nothing of the sort.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I've had OnTrac come around noon a few times, but aside from those few deliveries, everything else has been delivered after 9pm. One particularly frustrating delivery was at around 10:30pm (according to their website) on a rainy night. There was no knock or anything even though I left the lights on. I checked the front porch before going to bed and found the package there, but the cardboard was fully soaked. If that package were a new computer or something with electronics, I would have been really pissed.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Pivo posted:

The "newer ones" a.k.a. MagSafe2 are back to sticking out perpendicular actually -_- They've learned NOTHING! You got the latest MagSafe 1, which IMO is the best. I use one of those with an adapter for my rMBP.

There are several angles from which you can trip over your power cord and the L-shaped adapter won't actually disconnect from the port. The T-shaped adapter is less convenient on your lap but it's safer for the computer!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have a bit of an odd question and I'm not sure if it can be answered easily.

I'm contemplating canceling Comcast and using my phone as my main internet source. I'm currently a T-Mobile subscriber with an Unlimited 4G plan. Per T-Mobile themselves, they do not limit their unlimited plans UNLESS it's a P2P service, meaning that you can stream as much Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. as you want on your phone/tablet/whatever and they won't throttle. The plan also includes 5GB of computer tethering.

Now, I enjoy watching my Netflix on my big screen TV. From what I can tell, one of the main differences in how an Apple TV works vs. Chromecast, Fire TV stick, etc. is that the content that's streamed to the Apple TV is sourced directly through your phone's internet connection, instead of your phone telling the stick to load content and then use the stick's internet connection to stream.

That said, I know that AirPlay requires a WiFi connection to work... but, if my logic is correct, if I were to tether the Apple TV to my phone's wireless, then open Netflix and AirPlay it to the Apple TV, the stream would still go through my phone's internet connection and it wouldn't count as tethering data. Am I right?

[Edit: Reddit suggests that this works thanks to the new Peer-to-peer AirPlay available with my 6 Plus and the latest revision of the Apple TV, but can anyone confirm that it does?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 27, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My experience with tethering is that your phone shows up as a wifi hotspot, so any device that requires wifi will work. A question I have for you though is, have you unplugged your router and just used your phone data plan for an entire day or two and see if you actually like it? Are the 4G speeds in your home fast enough for what you want to do? The thing to understand is that 4G is not a consistent speed, it fluctuates wildly from area to area and can be around the same speed as 3G in some cases.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

My experience with tethering is that your phone shows up as a wifi hotspot, so any device that requires wifi will work. A question I have for you though is, have you unplugged your router and just used your phone data plan for an entire day or two and see if you actually like it? Are the 4G speeds in your home fast enough for what you want to do? The thing to understand is that 4G is not a consistent speed, it fluctuates wildly from area to area and can be around the same speed as 3G in some cases.

I'm gonna test it for about a month starting today to see (I'm gonna keep Comcast for the time being). I've found that T-Mobile's LTE is very reliable where I live, I pull down ~17 Mbps on average and I have yet to see it drop down to 4G while I'm in my apartment.

I understand why this is a bad idea for several reasons, but I'm pissed as hell at Comcast (the only high speed internet option where I live) and am willing to try pretty much anything to drop their rear end.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I'm gonna test it for about a month starting today to see (I'm gonna keep Comcast for the time being). I've found that T-Mobile's LTE is very reliable where I live, I pull down ~17 Mbps on average and I have yet to see it drop down to 4G while I'm in my apartment.

I understand why this is a bad idea for several reasons, but I'm pissed as hell at Comcast (the only high speed internet option where I live) and am willing to try pretty much anything to drop their rear end.

Those are great speeds and I understand your frustration with Comcast. They are a piece of poo poo company. I've been a customer of theirs as well and have nothing but negative things to say about their service in the Seattle, WA area.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

Those are great speeds and I understand your frustration with Comcast. They are a piece of poo poo company. I've been a customer of theirs as well and have nothing but negative things to say about their service in the Seattle, WA area.

Sup Seattleite! Not to be contrary (I hate Comcast as a company) but I'm not too bothered by them... They recently doubled everyone's speeds at no charge. I do get outages a few times a year for half a day or so... Which does irk me. But no hardcore Comcast bullshit so far....

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Semantics.
Apple refuses to issue a trim command to a third party SSD for no good reason.
A trivial hack to patch out the vendor string check in the kernel extension fully enables trim.

They spent more effort to add the vendor string check.

Choadmaster posted:

I don't understand what Apple's deal is with not natively supporting TRIM on 3rd party drives is either, but your last sentence implies they did something to specifically lock out the TRIM-related hack when they did nothing of the sort.

Agreed. There is a difference between not supporting something and actively prohibiting it. I've noticed that when people drop "semantics" in a discussion, what they really mean is "I see the difference but don't care to acknowledge it".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whelp, it doesn't work. It appears that, even with the Peer-to-peer AirPlay, the Apple TV itself still needs an active internet connection. My phone just straight up won't connect to it without one (I can see it in the AirPlay menu but it won't connect).

Oh well, guess I'm stuck with Comcast for now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

Sup Seattleite! Not to be contrary (I hate Comcast as a company) but I'm not too bothered by them... They recently doubled everyone's speeds at no charge. I do get outages a few times a year for half a day or so... Which does irk me. But no hardcore Comcast bullshit so far....

Not in Seattle anymore, but I miss the city. :) Hopefully moving back there in August actually! When I did live there though, Comcast was pretty bad, outages every day and their customer support wouldn't help me.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

lelandjs posted:

Whelp, it doesn't work. It appears that, even with the Peer-to-peer AirPlay, the Apple TV itself still needs an active internet connection. My phone just straight up won't connect to it without one (I can see it in the AirPlay menu but it won't connect).

Oh well, guess I'm stuck with Comcast for now.

Get a wireless router you can set to client mode for your wired devices (including Apple TV), then set it to connect to your phone wifi?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've borrowed a wireless keyboard from a friend to finish up a project, and had totally forgotten how different the EU layout is the standard keyboard.

I have typo'd at a rate of knots this week. Stupid extra tilde key.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, for anyone who didn't notice, looks like all Late 2014 Macs (and probably anything later) are keyed to only accept Yosemite. Luckily this only includes the Retina iMac and the latest Mac Minis.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

smax posted:

Get a wireless router you can set to client mode for your wired devices (including Apple TV), then set it to connect to your phone wifi?

I hadn't considered that--I did try tethering the phone directly to the Apple TV, but that failed. Time to dig out my old router!

Also did you mean bridged or client mode? I gotta be honest, I don't really know the difference between the two.

Nevermind, figured out the difference. One of my routers has it, but I'd rather not interrupt the House of Cards marathon. I'll give it a try tomorrow, though I have a feeling it won't work out in the end. Plus you need to use Asus' program, which is an .exe, to find the router after you change it to client mode (or as Asus calls it, "Media Bridge"). Ugh.

[Edit: Got a step further... I had to update the Apple TV. I'm an idiot. Unfortunately, video's a no go; Netflix crashes, Amazon's an endless spinner, "trailers" in the App Store throw up an "An Error occurred" message. Google Music works real well, though!]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 28, 2015

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

If I were to buy the low-end $500 Mac Mini, would I be able to compile Unity games for iOS via Xcode?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

If I were to buy the low-end $500 Mac Mini, would I be able to compile Unity games for iOS via Xcode?

yeah

i'd get an SSD and lots of RAM though. Xcode is a pile of crap and iOS development quickly devolves into having dozens of huge applications open

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pivo posted:

yeah

i'd get an SSD and lots of RAM though. Xcode is a pile of crap and iOS development quickly devolves into having dozens of huge applications open

Yes, agreed. The base Mac mini is an up-sellibg tool really. It hits a price point while being laughablemy poorly specced compared to equivalent PCs, and will give a crappy UX compared to any other Mac. They are too cheap to put an SSD in, which is a major pain point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also remember that the latest/current Mini's RAM is soldered to the logic board, thus it cannot be upgraded later; you have to buy it with as much as you can afford at the time.

8 GB is fine, but the baseline 4 GB is pretty much useless for serious development purposes.

Also, a Mini can have two 2.5" drives inside but they're shoved up front where there's almost no circulation, SSDs are ideal replacements for platter drives in the Mini because of this. However, you'd probably get better throughput with the external Thunderbolt port depending on how much you want to spend.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 28, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I suggest 2012 minis cause of the RAM, stick 16GB in yourself no problem if you need it, SSD swap is a bit annoying but not too hard. For mass storage with a platter drive I'd just go USB 3, I wouldn't bother with TB (or eSATA over TB) unless you were dealing with a multi drive array of some sort and need maximum possible speed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pivo posted:

The "newer ones" a.k.a. MagSafe2 are back to sticking out perpendicular actually -_- They've learned NOTHING! You got the latest MagSafe 1, which IMO is the best. I use one of those with an adapter for my rMBP.

But yeah, the 45W are smaller and there's no reason for the smaller laptops to have an 85W brick.

I have kind of mixed feelings on it. Seems to get pulled on from more angles and I have to switch it's direction alot for it to not bend the wrong way. The T eventually got smooshed in so much it broke, but it took almost 6 years to happen.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah I suggest 2012 minis cause of the RAM, stick 16GB in yourself no problem if you need it, SSD swap is a bit annoying but not too hard. For mass storage with a platter drive I'd just go USB 3, I wouldn't bother with TB (or eSATA over TB) unless you were dealing with a multi drive array of some sort and need maximum possible speed.

If I buy a 2012 mac mini on ebay with 4GB of ram, can I put another 4GB in it, or do I have to pull out the 4GB and buy 8GB myself? (Basically, does Apple's 4GB of ram fill all of the ram slots?)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

the 2012 base model is 2x2G

so yes

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Wait for the new model is what i'm trying to say.

Thanks! I'll do that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

gnrk posted:

Agreed. There is a difference between not supporting something and actively prohibiting it. I've noticed that when people drop "semantics" in a discussion, what they really mean is "I see the difference but don't care to acknowledge it".

Did you quote my post without reading it at all?

Apple "actively prohibit" trim by adding a check for the vendor of your SSD.

"Not supporting" would be if they didn't have a vendor check but their implementation of trim somehow happened to not support certain SSDs, which I guess could technically be possible but that isn't the problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speculation corner:

What are the odds of a new 12" retina MBA March 9? I am thinking 30% March 9th, 70% chance @ WWDC ~June 8th

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know why my MacBook Pro (Late12) would only shut down after repairing disk permissions on my hard disk? I've been having this problem since Mavericks and it's driving me nuts.

When I go to shutdown, the menu bar at the top just disappears and my Mac hangs on the desktop. I have to turn it off with the power button. Anyone have a solution?
Thanks !

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

Speculation corner:

What are the odds of a new 12" retina MBA March 9? I am thinking 30% March 9th, 70% chance @ WWDC ~June 8th

5% March 9th, 70% June, 25% later in the summer (July?). If the 9th includes anything other than the Watch I'll be tremendously surprised.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does anyone know why my MacBook Pro (Late12) would only shut down after repairing disk permissions on my hard disk? I've been having this problem since Mavericks and it's driving me nuts.

When I go to shutdown, the menu bar at the top just disappears and my Mac hangs on the desktop. I have to turn it off with the power button. Anyone have a solution?
Thanks !

Hold command-v next time you boot (verbose mode) and then shutdown will happen in verbose mode as well. Hopefully you will be able to see where it is getting hung up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Hold command-v next time you boot (verbose mode) and then shutdown will happen in verbose mode as well. Hopefully you will be able to see where it is getting hung up.

I'll try this,thanks!

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Speculation corner:

Another thing, which I was worrying about : I want to buy a new 15" Retina MBP, like, tomorrow. Do you think there would be any chance for a refresh next week? I read speculations like that in other forums but I'm not really sure what the odds are, as the Broadwell Intel CPUs for mobile haven't even been released as far as I know.

I could just wait a week I guess, but in my defense, ... I'm just impatient and stubborn and want a laptop as soon as possible!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Broadwell low-voltage parts already came out didn't they?

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
I think mostly the Quad Core variants are missing which would probably be essential for the 15" models. I'm not sure about the rest of the release schedule.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mkasu posted:

Another thing, which I was worrying about : I want to buy a new 15" Retina MBP, like, tomorrow. Do you think there would be any chance for a refresh next week? I read speculations like that in other forums but I'm not really sure what the odds are, as the Broadwell Intel CPUs for mobile haven't even been released as far as I know.

I could just wait a week I guess, but in my defense, ... I'm just impatient and stubborn and want a laptop as soon as possible!

I'm way in the market for a new 15" MBP (old faithful from 2009 here is rapidly falling apart) and I'm fully expecting to wait until at least WWDC for any major refresh of the line. They're due for one, but not so due that they're going to just spring a surprise. The real question is whether they do the refresh of the computers before or after they do the '6s' refresh.

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
I currently don't possess a Mac. I used a MBP from 2008 to 2014, but sold it to try out the Windows 8 tablet/laptop-convertible world.

Well I feel super unproductive now, next to a variety of small software issues mainly with Windows 8.1, and decided to go back to a MBP as soon as possible. I certainly won't wait for the WWDC, I'll probably order this or next week depending on my mood.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AFAIK Broadwell will bring slight power savings, upgraded graphics, but nothing groundbreaking. Plus if you bought tomorrow you can return it IF something new comes out while you're in the return period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/03/rumor-retina-macbook-air-march-9-event/

I wouldn't bet against Ming-Chi Kuo.