Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't know about Monoblos (it's been too long since I saw him in the last games), but Diablos is actually an herbivore. You can see him eating cacti in the desert in 3U. I bet meat won't work on Mobolos, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Alxprit posted:

Yeah, I've never understood people who think that capture rewards are by and far the only way to do it. Capturing is better for getting rarer items, while if you still need a lot of all of the monsters' parts or a lot of the more common parts, then killing is better. Capture is more of a specific thing you do sometimes, in my opinion.

For me the default is capture. If I'm looking for a specific drop I will look up drop rates and figure out if it's more to my advantage to kill or capture, but in general, I'm capturing. It's not just the rewards, capturing a monster cuts down the time it takes to finish a quest by like 15-20% since you don't have to fight it to the death.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Alxprit posted:

Yeah, I've never understood people who think that capture rewards are by and far the only way to do it. Capturing is better for getting rarer items, while if you still need a lot of all of the monsters' parts or a lot of the more common parts, then killing is better. Capture is more of a specific thing you do sometimes, in my opinion.

You can get Tranquilzr for more rewards muuuch earlier than extra carves.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It varies monster by monster. In the case of hr gore for example you're more likely to get a gem by killing him.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Fungah! posted:

That's not true, actually. If you're going to cut a tail, you've got to use cutting damage. You can do damage to the tail but unless you're actually doing cutting damage it doesn't do poo poo. Lance does cutting/impact (and so does the insect glaive, I think), so they always work for breaks/tails.

I maybe explained it poorly.

Tails can be cut when a certain damage threshold has been achieved. It doesn't matter where that damage comes from. It can be bombs, hammers, shadowboxing, or a million painballs. Once you've reached that damage threshold the only way that tail will come off is via cutting damage like a throwing knife, the hunting horn stab, or a bow melee attack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wait. paintballs do damage? what about dung bombs?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lexorin posted:

I maybe explained it poorly.

Tails can be cut when a certain damage threshold has been achieved. It doesn't matter where that damage comes from. It can be bombs, hammers, shadowboxing, or a million painballs. Once you've reached that damage threshold the only way that tail will come off is via cutting damage like a throwing knife, the hunting horn stab, or a bow melee attack.

That hasn't been true since FU. 100% of the tail damage has to be cutting now.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

wait. paintballs do damage? what about dung bombs?

They do like, 1 damage, so while it is possible to kill a monster using them, they'd have to literally be at the brink of death beforehand

Also yes the way the tail cutting damage was calculated was changed in Tri.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

and with that my goal in monster hunter has now changed from "kill and wear all the monsters" to "kill any monster with a dung bomb"

i feel good about this

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Awesome! posted:

and with that my goal in monster hunter has now changed from "kill and wear all the monsters" to "kill any monster with a dung bomb"

i feel good about this

Don't forget to Pitfall Trap it first. Literally kicking dinosaurs into a hole and throwing poo poo on them to death.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

tower of druaga posted:

That hasn't been true since FU. 100% of the tail damage has to be cutting now.

That is lame as balls.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Awesome! posted:

i feel good about this

If you want a picture of the future, imagine four hunters paintballing a Kelbi in the face- Forever.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my n3ds LL grip arrived today.

Its just wonderful if only for the fact that I stopped hitting the power button with my pinky. Way less hand strain than before
Its not really portable anymore, but it never really was.

The additional ones I ordered are getting dropped off at the PO tonight so they can ship out first thing in the morning.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My goodness I am poo poo at this game online. Went with hammer and GS to gore magala online, I don't htink I got more than three or four hits with either weapon. And these were with HR3 folks, didn't look overgeared.

Now I'm all demoralized :smith:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
While I knew it before, only now am I truly aware that gunners, despite having tranq shot and paint shot, do not have dung shot. And truly this awful.

Ciaphas posted:

You're only terrible at the game if you break your controller or blame teammates. Just being bad means you have a lot of getting good to look forward to.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 28, 2015

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Ciaphas posted:

My goodness I am poo poo at this game online. Went with hammer and GS to gore magala online, I don't htink I got more than three or four hits with either weapon. And these were with HR3 folks, didn't look overgeared.

Don't let him get to you! Gore is a son of a bitch and you just need to spend some time dodging around him to tell when it's ok to go in. Were people giving you poo poo for it?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

Take one of the weapons to a kut-ku hunt and fight it until you react automatically. Wipe it until it bleeds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the Tranquilzr skill line worth while? Capture Expert/Master/God.

What is the difference between HG Earplugs and Earplugs?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Gore's like Deviljho. Stay under his belly and you'll get a lot of hits in while avoiding plenty of damage too.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Potsticker posted:

Always
Be
Capturing

You know the one true philosophy. Never forget, my brother.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Is the Tranquilzr skill line worth while? Capture Expert/Master/God.

What is the difference between HG Earplugs and Earplugs?

Monsters have varying roar strengths. Small monsters like yian kut-ku or gypceros roar and don't ever stagger you no matter what. They don't even play a roar particle effect.

Bigger monsters, like tetsucabra, roar with a visible effect that will shake your character/make them cover their ears. Earplugs will stop this.

Truly large and powerful monsters, like zamtrios (big) or diablos (so scary!) roar with an even larger, more powerful effect. This requires HG earplugs to stop.

Finally, some monsters have roars so powerful and earth-shaking that you simply can't block them at all.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Colapops posted:

Finally, some monsters have roars so powerful and earth-shaking that you simply can't block them at all.

Well rather, if you're too close, you're literally blown back by the force of the roar. If you're still too close but not close enough to be blown away, without HG Earplugs you still end up having to cover your ears for these cases (Akantor/Ukanlos/Tigrex+Sub/Etc)

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Emalde posted:

Well rather, if you're too close, you're literally blown back by the force of the roar. If you're still too close but not close enough to be blown away, without HG Earplugs you still end up having to cover your ears for these cases (Akantor/Ukanlos/Tigrex+Sub/Etc)

That bit I meant for elder dragons. I don't think any grade of earplugs stops elder dragon roars, do they?

I know tigrex and stuff do actual damage rather than just making you cower.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Do people end up preferring to use Light or Heavy Bowguns. They both seem fun so I'm wondering which one I'd be better of using.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Do people end up preferring to use Light or Heavy Bowguns. They both seem fun so I'm wondering which one I'd be better of using.

I tried both, but I had a bit more fun with heavy. It's pretty satisfying to fire.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

I tried both, but I had a bit more fun with heavy. It's pretty satisfying to fire.

This.

Though LBG do have a bit more mobility. LBG really is a support gun, whereas the HBG is a "main cannon" option, I think. Make many and pack the one with the best options for the task.

EDIT:
Or be lazy and use the bow. :smug:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Heavy is (generally) better at the physical damage shots (pierce, normal), because they have higher attack. Their special, crouching fire, is great for unloading massive shot dps.

Light guns are better at status and elemental shots, because of the way rapid fire works. It shoots three bullets, but only expends one ammo. Each shot does 35%(?) of the physical damage of a regular attack with that ammo type, which makes it slightly more ammo efficient, but does full element and status damage, which makes it super efficient and fast.

This means that if you want one general weapon for most monsters, it's probably going to be a HBG. But if you're willing to make multiple bowguns, LBG can be super efficient and faster for monsters with a moderate to high weakness. You just need a bowgun for each element in that case.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Colapops posted:

That bit I meant for elder dragons. I don't think any grade of earplugs stops elder dragon roars, do they?

I know tigrex and stuff do actual damage rather than just making you cower.

HG Earplugs stops every roar in this game. You're thinking of Raviente which had a roar so loud it needs its own tier of earplugs to block.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mithross posted:

Heavy is (generally) better at the physical damage shots (pierce, normal), because they have higher attack. Their special, crouching fire, is great for unloading massive shot dps.

Light guns are better at status and elemental shots, because of the way rapid fire works. It shoots three bullets, but only expends one ammo. Each shot does 35%(?) of the physical damage of a regular attack with that ammo type, which makes it slightly more ammo efficient, but does full element and status damage, which makes it super efficient and fast.

This means that if you want one general weapon for most monsters, it's probably going to be a HBG. But if you're willing to make multiple bowguns, LBG can be super efficient and faster for monsters with a moderate to high weakness. You just need a bowgun for each element in that case.

I think it's 70%, Thats the number Gaijin uses when explaining it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

loving pubbie spent the whole fight gathering poo poo in other zones and only showed up for the end and proceeded to trip everyone and walk around with his great sword out. The monster flies off to sleep and I only needed the completion so I woke it up, killed it, then made sure the pubbie got no carves by hitting him around like a pinata.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You're doing gods work drythe

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The real Monster Hunter starts here

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

He also clearly tried to make his name Ramona Flowers but it got cut short so it was Ramona Flo

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
After fighting Azure Raths for a couple hours I can conclude that Wind Pressure is the real monster.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Drythe posted:

He also clearly tried to make his name Ramona Flowers but it got cut short so it was Ramona Flo

Maybe he just wants to save a lot of money on Auto Insurance.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 28, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Should I care about elemental damage at all on my hammers?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That feeling when you grind about 13 Rathians and then don't even notice that you already got a plate about 3 Rathians ago.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lexorin posted:

That is lame as balls.

nah, it actually makes sense. besides, who cares, if you're hammering or HHing you've got more imporrtant things to worry about than screwing with the tail

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I haven't really thought about it since I'm left handed, but how come all the characters are too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muike posted:

I haven't really thought about it since I'm left handed, but how come all the characters are too

Well, most (All? I think one or two might use right-handed stances but I can't recall for sure off the top of my head.) of the blademasters are. Gunners are right-handed meanwhile. I have no idea either though.

• Locked thread