Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Is anyone else mildly discomforted by the character's tiny feet? It's unnatural I tell you.

being sent on suicide missions means no time for leg day at the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

:stare: Didn't know that could happen, glad it was my Sun Ring and not the Agility Talon he was also carrying.

Coincidentally they can also find trinkets... (I forgot where it was though. Gambling?)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

bitcoin bastard posted:

:stare: Didn't know that could happen, glad it was my Sun Ring and not the Agility Talon he was also carrying.

Will they only lose equipped items? That is horrifying.

I value some of my items far more than any of my heroes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

The only suitable punishment is to send him right back into the estate to find more trinkets.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The only suitable punishment is to send him right back into the estate to find more trinkets.

With no torches.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Can't say for sure, but he did have it equipped when I sent him to the Tavern, so probably.

E: I've forgiven Neville because he is doing huge damage right now. Ves-Occ-BH-BH is a pretty neat party for focusing stuff down one at a time.

E2: Neville is definitely forgiven now, just critted Swine Prince for 53 damage.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 27, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

It doesn't happen super often, but I'm pretty sure it selects one he has equipped, then if none equipped a random one from your inventory. Which means that I guess I should keep some poo poo trinkets around to send to the tavern on guys, which is a really stupid gameplay aspect, which is why they should remove that one.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

If they wanted to add a taunt move, having a class that marks itself would be kinda cool. Maybe attach it to some sort of self-buff?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Huh did they change things with one of the recent patches? I can't move dudes back in combat anymore. I noticed a few other weird things too but I forgot most of them. I lost a dude to the swine king finally though. I accidentally sent the team I was planning to take to the swines, to the necromancer so I wound up sending the B-team to face the king. I'm surprised only one died and none of them went insane.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Each class has set behaviour when it comes to changing rank in combat; Crusaders and Lepers are slow so they can only move 1 space back and forth while the nimbler classes like the Highway Man get to move 2. The Hellion on the other hand can only move forward, so I'm assuming that's what happened.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

STiL. posted:

The Hellion on the other hand can only move forward,

That owns. "MY TINY FEET CAN ONLY CARRY ME TOWARDS DEATH OR GLORY" :black101:

STiL. posted:

If they wanted to add a taunt move, having a class that marks itself would be kinda cool. Maybe attach it to some sort of self-buff?

I was thinking that myself, actually. It would be cool if the Man-At-Arms had a move that nuked a mark off of a selected ally, marked himself, gave him a ton of Protection, and debuffed his Dodge, all for a single turn. So when you're going "oh poo poo oh jesus my awesome Crusader is marked and on Death's Door against two fungus assholes," the MAA can just go HIT ME YOU GUYS and then tank the gently caress out of their hits for the next turn, at the cost of having a really hard time dodging them (so he basically sacrifices an attack opportunity and sustains low-to-moderate guaranteed damage in exchange for blunting damage spikes and dramatically reducing the threat mark-sensitive enemies pose to your more vulnerable heroes). It'd be really really useful against certain enemy types, possibly handy in other situations, and not really overpowered or game-changing otherwise as it doesn't affect the behaviour of enemies that don't care about marks.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Angry Diplomat posted:

That owns. "MY TINY FEET CAN ONLY CARRY ME TOWARDS DEATH OR GLORY" :black101:

I was thinking that myself, actually. It would be cool if the Man-At-Arms had a move that nuked a mark off of a selected ally, marked himself, gave him a ton of Protection, and debuffed his Dodge, all for a single turn. So when you're going "oh poo poo oh jesus my awesome Crusader is marked and on Death's Door against two fungus assholes," the MAA can just go HIT ME YOU GUYS and then tank the gently caress out of their hits for the next turn, at the cost of having a really hard time dodging them (so he basically sacrifices an attack opportunity and sustains low-to-moderate guaranteed damage in exchange for blunting damage spikes and dramatically reducing the threat mark-sensitive enemies pose to your more vulnerable heroes). It'd be really really useful against certain enemy types, possibly handy in other situations, and not really overpowered or game-changing otherwise as it doesn't affect the behaviour of enemies that don't care about marks.

Actually, I was thinking about something similar. What if the Man-at-Arms had the ability to move someone back two spaces in the marching order? Might be nice to get someone out of harm's way for specific attacks or rapidly reposition a party member in the event of a surprise attack.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Or a Protection-boosting skill that gave him a unique "Vigilant" buff which, when a party member was about to suffer a possible Deathblow, consumed itself to immediately swap their positions. You'd have to deal with your party order getting mixed up, but it would buy time and almost certainly prevent fatalities if used wisely.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Giving another PC +Protection might be a thing to do to.

Also, interesting bug. When a PC opens a container because of a trait compulsion, if you click a different PC before they open it (while they're talking about 'oh man I hope this wagon of corpses is good drinking') the selected PC opens it instead of the compelled one.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I'm also really happy about the turn order qol update, since it is the dankest dungeon. :350:

Maybe that's part of my enjoyment even though I'm hitting level 4 with most of my characters and have a healthy wardrobe of Sun/moon gear.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It's kind of dumb that the Hag's Pot can't actually kill your dudes. I mean, it would be hugely frustrating if it could but just having them get dumped out at death's door means I don't really need to worry about striking the pot, I can just focus down the Hag and end the mission, after which it doesn't matter if the ingredient is nearly dead.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ship the mod support red hook

e: occultist already has a bong, this is meant to be

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chard posted:

It's kind of dumb that the Hag's Pot can't actually kill your dudes. I mean, it would be hugely frustrating if it could but just having them get dumped out at death's door means I don't really need to worry about striking the pot, I can just focus down the Hag and end the mission, after which it doesn't matter if the ingredient is nearly dead.
That it deals damage after absolutely every single action means there could be instances where you could not prevent a party member from dying whatsoever, so giving it the ability to kill someone is a terrible idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chard posted:

Yeah honestly I really hate the pacing of that fight. I do appreciate the stress of having somebody boiling in the pot going "DEAR GOD IT HURTS, SAVE ME" so you panic and kill the hag as fast as you loving can, but I would balance the fight entirely different.

I'd have the pot have a several-turn delay between when people can be in the pot. Like each time you bust the pot and free somebody, you dump out the hag's brew so she has to start over. She has to spend a turn or two "filling the pot" or "adding ingredients" or something before somebody else can be tossed in. But then yeah, have it so leaving somebody in the pot will eventually kill them for good.

That way you have to think strategically between a slow but safer battle of freeing people as soon as they're put in the pot and then damaging the hag in-between during the cooldown period, or blitzing straight for the hag at the possible peril of the person in the pot.

Captain Invictus posted:

That it deals damage after absolutely every single action means there could be instances where you could not prevent a party member from dying whatsoever, so giving it the ability to kill someone is a terrible idea.

It would require changing the fight in a few ways, yeah.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
It could just do constant damage checks and bring people to death's door, and allow chances for deathblow resist.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Add a new quirk to anyone who gets in the pot, 'Seasoned'. 5% chance to be eaten when party starves.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

Add a new quirk to anyone who gets in the pot, 'Seasoned'. 5% chance to be eaten when party starves.

Funny, but starvation is basically never a thing and adding boss-only quirks to the pool would lead to some bizarre farming strategies if there was any sort of synergistic potential to 'em.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, read the entire thread now. Apparently the Plague Doctor becoming good happened not too long before I started playing. Lucky me, because I love everything about the PD.

Also, something amusing I saw. Early on in the thread, someone said that it'd be hilarious if the Darkest Dungeon was so terrible, your adventurers would only go in once because they were too traumatized to return. People had a laugh about it, and said it'd be a terribly unfun gameplay idea, and that was it.

...And then later someone comes in and says that's how it's going to work, and everyone freaks out and complains, even as no one is able to source this information and people try to reassure them that that's not the case. And it keeps happening; I think there were at least three or four freakouts over the Darkest Dungeon and how it "will" be. It's hilarious, but also really unfortunate; a few people were talking about not playing anymore because of how terrible that would be, and yet as far as I'm aware it's just a joke that people somehow took seriously after it circled around a while or something. Just to be sure, that's not actually the plan, right? There's no dev commentary people can point to on that topic or anything, is there?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

They've said that's the plan on their livestreams repeatedly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really? If so, that's disappointing. Not only because it's probably going to be a really, really unfun mechanic, but there is almost no way that whatever it ends up being won't be a disappointment. No matter what it is, most players probably won't find it horrifying to quite that extent. Can they make it worse and more horrifying than everything before it? Sure, yeah. But if they want it to be this place that's so horrible that adventurers who braved zombies and mutants, who went through the Weald and the Warrens, will never ever return, then it basically can't be something we actually see because if we get anything concrete about it it will be a huge letdown. It simply won't be able to live up to that if we actually see it, which leads me to two ideas as to how they would avoid that, neither of which I'm fond of.

One, it's not a proper dungeon, but a place you send adventurers in and based on stats/equipment/RNG/whatever, stuff happens, and if they return at all they are broken wrecks. Which would be awful and I doubt they are doing it.

Two, it's just completely obfuscated; we don't see the details of anything, it's just a bunch of darkness/black, with the adventurers reacting to various horrors we ourselves don't get to see. Which... Well, describing it like that I suppose it could be made to work (and it would be appropriate to the name "Darkest Dungeon"), but this game gets so much of its strength from its art and aesthetic and such. Losing all that in the end would be really disappointing.

Though, I suppose that's a horror game problem in general; nothing the game makers can put in front of you can quite live up to your mind running wild. DD isn't exactly a traditional horror game, but even without the "the Darkest Dungeon is just too horrible" thing they'd have to deal with that eventually, I suppose.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Couldn't it also just be a thing where they go in, but there's simply no exit, so the party is just stuck there to die regardless of success or failure? Presumably at that point you wouldn't be willing to throw away an entire team of maxed out dudes just to farm materials anyways, so it makes sense that the stakes would be higher. You're probably just going in to kill bosses or resolve the story or whatever.

Edit: I kind of like it as a game concept. You're kitting out these adventurers for some purpose other than simply kitting them out even more. It just means you as the player need to be absolutely certain the people you're sending are prepared or utterly expendable.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 28, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Going back a little bit to the trinket chat, I feel like I just won the lottery

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Last "week" there two for sale at the same time and I could only afford one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've been having those drop like crazy just in the dungeons, luckily enough. I have three in inventory and two equipped on characters. They pair up really nicely with

Basically feels like cheating using a Hellion, even more than usual.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Roland Jones posted:

Really? If so, that's disappointing. Not only because it's probably going to be a really, really unfun mechanic, but there is almost no way that whatever it ends up being won't be a disappointment. No matter what it is, most players probably won't find it horrifying to quite that extent. Can they make it worse and more horrifying than everything before it? Sure, yeah. But if they want it to be this place that's so horrible that adventurers who braved zombies and mutants, who went through the Weald and the Warrens, will never ever return, then it basically can't be something we actually see because if we get anything concrete about it it will be a huge letdown. It simply won't be able to live up to that if we actually see it, which leads me to two ideas as to how they would avoid that, neither of which I'm fond of.

One, it's not a proper dungeon, but a place you send adventurers in and based on stats/equipment/RNG/whatever, stuff happens, and if they return at all they are broken wrecks. Which would be awful and I doubt they are doing it.

Two, it's just completely obfuscated; we don't see the details of anything, it's just a bunch of darkness/black, with the adventurers reacting to various horrors we ourselves don't get to see. Which... Well, describing it like that I suppose it could be made to work (and it would be appropriate to the name "Darkest Dungeon"), but this game gets so much of its strength from its art and aesthetic and such. Losing all that in the end would be really disappointing.

Though, I suppose that's a horror game problem in general; nothing the game makers can put in front of you can quite live up to your mind running wild. DD isn't exactly a traditional horror game, but even without the "the Darkest Dungeon is just too horrible" thing they'd have to deal with that eventually, I suppose.

My understanding is that it's not the entire Darkest Dungeon that "breaks" the heroes, the plan is for it to be final game boss only. Idea being you have to beat the big bad boss multiple times with different teams, you can't just A-Team it repeatedly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My understanding is that it's not the entire Darkest Dungeon that "breaks" the heroes, the plan is for it to be final game boss only. Idea being you have to beat the big bad boss multiple times with different teams, you can't just A-Team it repeatedly.

That sounds WAY better than the whole final dungeon itself basically eating your teams, and I think that'd be a good way to handle the final boss.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've been having those drop like crazy just in the dungeons, luckily enough. I have three in inventory and two equipped on characters. They pair up really nicely with

Basically feels like cheating using a Hellion, even more than usual.

I have a pair of these on both my Hellions, 30-35% crit after rest. When I take both of them on a run it does indeed feel a bit like cheating.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ah. That's not as bad then, yeah. Given that it's probably some Lovecraftian thing, judging from the opening movie, I suppose that's fair enough.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
The Darkest Dungeon should let your Torch level go down to -100. At -100 you get +++++Crit and have no way to tell whose turn it is or who you are attacking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IcePhoenix posted:

Going back a little bit to the trinket chat, I feel like I just won the lottery

This trinket confuses me since its the only one i can think of with no downside and its absurdly good as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do you mean hellion exclusive, or in general? The solar items imo are no downside outside of dropping like 1500 on a few stacks of torches, which considering my last necromancer lord run yielded 42,000 gold, isn't exactly an issue. That they can be lit midbattle with no consequences or wasted turns is kinda ridiculous too.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Phssthpok posted:

The Darkest Dungeon should let your Torch level go down to -100. At -100 you get +++++Crit and have no way to tell whose turn it is or who you are attacking.

The Darkest Dungeon will also have enemies like the vomit pigs that will throw goop at your provisions to make them useless!

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Just so you know, protection doesn't do anything to the damage people take from being in the pot. I left my crusader is there a while, thinking between his absurdly large health pool and high prot he wouldn't even feel it, but by the time I busted the pot he was really low health. His health pool alone was enough, but he took far more damage than I had wanted him to.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Just so you know, protection doesn't do anything to the damage people take from being in the pot. I left my crusader is there a while, thinking between his absurdly large health pool and high prot he wouldn't even feel it, but by the time I busted the pot he was really low health. His health pool alone was enough, but he took far more damage than I had wanted him to.

Pot damage is % health based, so it doesn't matter who ends up in there tbh, but it's worse for high HP characters if you hope to "heal them up" afterwards. Which doesn't happen anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

While we're on the subject:

The Hag is a bit of a motherfucker, but her fight is genuinely interesting, stressful, and scary (the visceral OH GOD what the gently caress is she doing to my favourite dude he's screaming GET HIM OUT GET HIM OUT reaction the first time you fight her is amazing). I hope we get more boss fights like that, where an unusual mechanic introduces something that not only changes the dynamic of the fight, but is legitimately upsetting and stress-inducing for the player as well as the characters. Something like an evil illusionist monster that disguises itself as a child partway through the fight and causes your heroes to stress the gently caress out when they hit it even though they know its true nature, or a hulking monstrosity that grabs a hero to use as a human shield, or something like that.

Oh man, what if the Necromancer made the Apprentice look like a chump because, instead of summoning skeletons, s/he summoned the anguished ghosts of heroes from your graveyard, and your dudes would generate stress from having to fight the wretched shades of their fallen comrades? And you'd be getting increasingly mad because what the gently caress Necromancer, Dismas was clutch as hell and deserves peace, don't loving ghost Dismas you cock you ghosted Dismas oh my god gently caress you

e: the ghosts would have to use a generic "ghost" monster move/attribute set to prevent dumb graveyard micromanagement, and if the Necro ran out of heroes to ghost you'd just get generic spooky phantoms with the same effect but no cool dialogue