Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I pay good money to crush the dreams of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You people are sick.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

SaltyJesus posted:

Phi Dinh, the guy who made TinyKeep just released an update saying he and his developer buddies from some game jam formed a company to turn their prototype into a real game. It's not really Kickstarter news but I'm a satisfied TinyKeep backer. Phi delivered a cool little roguelite and I promised myself I'd support whatever he'd do next.

Their new game is called Sublevel Zero and it's a 6-degrees-of-freedom shooter like Descent. Here's a release trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vM4FGes3g8 and its steam page.

Holy crap a new Descent! Looks great :)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
:shepspends:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I want to nominate Hand of Fate as another Kickstarter success. It's a really fun game and I recommend you try it. It has a similar atmosphere and feeling to Darkest Dungeon.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Dayuuuum, Slain! looks GOOD!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mr Underhill posted:

The areas look sweet as gently caress too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mr Underhill posted:

I love it, ridiculously over the top gory retro games are something I wouldn't mind seeing more of :black101:

The only thing that's sticking out to me is on the pitch video, the melee attacks seem pretty slow and clunky for a hack and slash. Maybe they're going for a more methodical, timed combat system. But this is pretty promising

quote:

The project is already eighteen months into development and we estimate there are only three months left...

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Is the huge boss-guy 3d or are my eyes playing tricks on me? If he is, I'm mildly disappointed. Too broke to back anything anyway, but I like it when kick-rear end kickstarters like this one pop up.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like their style. The look of the protagonist and world make me think of Michael Moorcock books.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mr Underhill posted:

Is the huge boss-guy 3d or are my eyes playing tricks on me? If he is, I'm mildly disappointed. Too broke to back anything anyway, but I like it when kick-rear end kickstarters like this one pop up.

The way features shift around makes me think that it's either 3D with a pixel filter, or sprites generated from a 3D model with a pixel filter.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
If kickstarter has taught me anything its that a handful of detailed sprites, in gif form, is ironclad evidence of a good game that will definitely exist

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If kickstarter has taught me anything its that a handful of detailed sprites, in gif form, is ironclad evidence of a good game that will definitely exist

Think how much Star Citizen would've made with ironically retro space gifs.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Considering this one pledge also got me keys for two other unrelated minecraft rip offs that both also tanked and are dead projects, that's only :5bux: per failure :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The artist obviously uses a methodology similar to FrankieSmileShow's old work, which has a lot of superfluous detail but is rough enough that it isn't time consuming to make. It's not the same situation as that Secret of Mana style game where all the 'screenshots' were obviously mockups that an artist spent way too much time on.

That said, I have my own issue with Slain, which is that there's no distinction between background and foreground elements at all. Look at this gif:

The vampire or whatever has less visual priority than anything but the basic wall tile :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

You people are sick.

Agreed.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Slain: That art looks pretty good, but $12k is incredibly low for a project like that.

The art reminds me of SOTN.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Orzo posted:

Slain: That art looks pretty good, but $12k is incredibly low for a project like that.

quote:

The project is already eighteen months into development and we estimate there are only three months left...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Underhill posted:

:homebrew: sold!

quote:

Words you don't hear on kickstarter everyday :stare:

Hmmmm.... that part where the guy jumps down and gets squished looks really familiar for some reason. Maybe this game was advertised earlier in its development? Is it a goon project or something? I swear I've seen that pixel art before.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2015

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Me and my 155 backed projects definitely don't have a problem, no sir -- no way.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I scored the last $10 tier on Slain!, eat it fuckers.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't be shocked if it was actually 3D psuedo-sprites, that's apparently a really efficient way to do higher res spritework.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 27, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I scored the last $10 tier on Slain!, eat it fuckers.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't be shocked if it was actually 3D psuedo-sprites, that's apparently a really efficient way to do higher res spritework.

I wouldn't really call that high res spritework.

Its definitely good though, I'd figure they're probably using 3D models or some kinda references to kinda rotoscope rather than explicitly somehow rendering the 3d to a sprite.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

... I have problems.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't really call that high res spritework.

Its definitely good though, I'd figure they're probably using 3D models or some kinda references to kinda rotoscope rather than explicitly somehow rendering the 3d to a sprite.

It's high res compared to the era its emulating. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's high res compared to the era its emulating. :v:

Yeah fair enough.

When I hear high resolution sprites though I think like Blazblue or KoF.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Underhill posted:

thanks to hyper light drifter artists dont want to put borders around their sprites anymore, so theres millions of these projects with super detailed sprites that wash into the super detailed backgrounds so that everything is an invisible mash of pixels. how does anybody think this is a good idea?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I like that they're monetizing their youtube videos so I can watch ads and make them money while I determine whether I want to continue watching their ad asking me for money.

Why do you let yourself get youtube ads.

edit: drat, shame about that toejam game. I hope it makes wya past it's asking amount, I was interested until I got to the rewards and immediately they start throwing trinkets and tchotchkies at you. I wish kickstarters would nix the dumb trash they use to entice you and instead just spend the time and money on the fuckin product at hand.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 28, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

thanks to hyper light drifter artists dont want to put borders around their sprites anymore, so theres millions of these projects with super detailed sprites that wash into the super detailed backgrounds so that everything is an invisible mash of pixels. how does anybody think this is a good idea?

Plenty of games in the SNES era had borderless sprites. I mean, the point of them bleeding into the background is valid, but the reason isn't because there's no borders its because of poor art direction.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

From the discussion earlier, I was curious to see how many projects have released when estimated, and inspired by the spreadsheet posted earlier, I made this list of some of the major projects (ignoring Early Acces and alpha/beta releases): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11sYRdj3cmb2WKFzikyT7bDGBFjQtdXLQ5YcECNNZKKY/pubhtml

So the answer is, a few! Most of those that were ahead of schedule or right on schedule were basically finished at the time of Kickstarter launch, but FTL, Satellite Reign, and a handful of others I don't know much about seemed to do alright for themselves. I'm sure there are smaller projects that have too, let me know of any good ones and I'll toss them into that spreadsheet.

Another takeaway from this is you can add, on average, 7 months to any projected release dates :science: A bigger sample size might edge that one way or the other, but these are the only ones off the Wikipedia list that have actually released a finished project at this point.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 22, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

The rotoscoped art they're using would in no way work with sprite bordering.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Khanstant posted:

Why do you let yourself get youtube ads.

edit: drat, shame about that toejam game. I hope it makes wya past it's asking amount, I was interested until I got to the rewards and immediately they start throwing trinkets and tchotchkies at you. I wish kickstarters would nix the dumb trash they use to entice you and instead just spend the time and money on the fuckin product at hand.

They're outsourcing all that crap to some other company so they don't have to spend any of their own time dealing with any of it.

The reason they're doing it to begin with is because people have been asking for TJ&E merch for years now and this was the most obvious excuse to make it happen.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kerzoro posted:

... I have problems.

165.... collected. 81 uncollected. 8 current.

Only a little problem, I'm sure.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're outsourcing all that crap to some other company so they don't have to spend any of their own time dealing with any of it.

Which company? I hope it's not an Indian company; India doesn't really have a gaming culture. It's all well and good to be able to program and know about video games in general but if you aren't part of a society with a gaming culture then you only have 'part of the puzzle'.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 28, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What the gently caress does having a "gaming culture" have to do with making merch?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well how the gently caress are you going to screen press Ryu onto a shirt unless you spent your childhood bashing out Hadoukens :rolleyes:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

RightClickSaveAs posted:

From the discussion earlier, I was curious to see how many projects have released when estimated, and inspired by the spreadsheet posted earlier, I made this list of some of the major projects (ignoring Early Acces and alpha/beta releases): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D9_aSUwgy77ovgKmh4RdVlF43VikE1vU58Qyz4gfjsA/pubhtml

So the answer is, a few! Most of those that were ahead of schedule or right on schedule were basically finished at the time of Kickstarter launch, but FTL, Satellite Reign, and a handful of others I don't know much about seemed to do alright for themselves. I'm sure there are smaller projects that have too, let me know of any good ones and I'll toss them into that spreadsheet.

Another takeaway from this is you can add, on average, 7 months to any projected release dates :science: A bigger sample size might edge that one way or the other, but these are the only ones off the Wikipedia list that have actually released a finished project at this point.

Satellite Reign is still in Early Access.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Fart of Presto posted:

Satellite Reign is still in Early Access.
Updated, thanks. Early Access makes "release dates" such a pain to find.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

That Which Sleeps update post about the scenario builder and recently added mechanic of desperation.
http://www.kingdinosaurgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9&start=40#p5652

Also art of the prophet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have 17 backed, but more importantly, I "backed" 2 kickstarters that had 0 backers on their last day for $1.

I should do this more often. Kick them while they're down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

DolphinCop posted:

watching the video for the game, you're literally wrong about this instance so I have no idea what you're even complaining about.