Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, how are they con men? The special on proto-charging?

Did you not see the first 10 minutes of the movie? Venkman cons a co-ed into thinking she has psychic powers to date him/sleep with him. Yager confirms this with his sick burn about how ridiculous his credibility is in the scientific community because of how he uses his methods like a game. He also got the mayor to give him an insane amount of personnel and get away from possibly decades of jail time with a few simple words and a smile, like he's been doing this poo poo for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wait, how are they con men? The special on proto-charging?

I'm sort of figuring in stuff like Peter's whole antics in Dana's apartment, not really knowing what's going on or what he's doing and acting like he's actually doing something. Peter and his ESP testing* at the school. Even their TV commercial thing could sort of have a 1-900 fake psychic hotline vibe to it to the uninitiated.

(*Iffy, I guess. I'm sure he could flip around and defend his whole thing as, "Well, I NEED to lie and provide negative reinforcement to get accurate results to see if my theory is correct!")

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrJacobs posted:

If you don't actually pay attention to the characters at all, that might kinda be true

Yes, but I'm talking about how the characters are perceived by kids, on account of Ghostbusters ostensibly being a family film, which will be lost if this new one is going for a darker/gorier tone. I'm aware of everything else you said, having written it in this thread.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

echoplex posted:

Yes, but I'm talking about how the characters are perceived by kids, on account of Ghostbusters ostensibly being a family film, which will be lost if this new one is going for a darker/gorier tone. I'm aware of everything else you said, having written it in this thread.
That's the second time you've mentioned that. I admit I haven't been following the new movie all that closely other than "Reboot with all female cast", but is there any indication the new movie will go the route of "darker/gorier"?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

That's the second time you've mentioned that. I admit I haven't been following the new movie all that closely other than "Reboot with all female cast", but is there any indication the new movie will go the route of "darker/gorier"?

For some reason, our homeboy Paul Feig wants this version of Ghostbusters to be scary. He's mentioned it in a few interviews when he got the gig, but now we also have his claim that he was inspired by the Walking Dead.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Scroto Baggins posted:

For some reason, our homeboy Paul Feig wants this version of Ghostbusters to be scary. He's mentioned it in a few interviews when he got the gig, but now we also have his claim that he was inspired by the Walking Dead.

I do hope that if they do this, that was always the plan, and it's not to attract people who might otherwise be turned off by the female cast.

Urgh, from that article:

quote:

While the original Ghostbusters is considered a modern comedy classic, given its paranormal subject, the movie's actual scares leave a lot to be desired.

:rolleye:

echoplex fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 27, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Scroto Baggins posted:

we also have his claim that he was inspired by the Walking Dead.

Oh so this movie being a piece of poo poo will be intentional. Good to know

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Why can't films be fun?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah, sorry, I completely forgot about Peter's con at the beginning, that's fair. I guess my question about why they'd be thought of as con men (by the viewer) is because they actually ARE catching and trapping ghosts; they aren't bozos who conveniently show up to deal with problem with a fake electronic light show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A Ghostbusters film should be "scary" in the sense that the designs need to be capable of scaring a 6-8 year old kid, but obviously still goofy enough to fit the overall tone of the movie. I'd probably show the designs to actual kids and see how they react, because its a very fine line that the original film walks perfectly.

As a kid one thing that the movie did really well is make it clear that the stakes were incredibly high, that Gozer returning would be the end of the world. I suppose its not easy to get that idea across to an 8 year old in the context of demi-gods and ancient Sumeria, but the movie succeeded in getting it across to me and it lent a lot of weight to what was happening on-screen. A kid watching Ghostbusters needed the Venkman character and all the jokes, because as the movie goes on youre getting more and more scared of what may happen and you need relief.

I'm not a filmmaker but that just seems like an incredibly tough thing to recreate, its probably lighting in a bottle.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ah, sorry, I completely forgot about Peter's con at the beginning, that's fair. I guess my question about why they'd be thought of as con men (by the viewer) is because they actually ARE catching and trapping ghosts; they aren't bozos who conveniently show up to deal with problem with a fake electronic light show.

They aren't doing a fake electronic light show, but they are bozos. Peter has no clue what the hell he's doing at Dana's apartment or when he's talking to her about Gozer, the three of them are completely clueless during the hotel bust, and eventually they stumble rear end-backwards into saving the world after conjuring a hundred-foot marshmallow man that is the avatar of an inter-dimensional demigod.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My six year old rear end was terrified of several scares in both movies. Even now I find babysitter Janosh and arms-from-chair pretty hosed up.

^^^ I agree with the lightning in a bottle comment. God the first movie was so well balanced. Just serious enough, just humorous enough, well paced...

I'm not expecting much from a new Ghostbusters movie, but I just kinda hope when it lets me down its in a "well that was amusing but I never need to see it again" way and not "god what a stupid waste of time" way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

I'm not expecting much from a new Ghostbusters movie, but I just kinda hope when it lets me down its in a "well that was amusing but I never need to see it again" way and not "god what a stupid waste of time" way.

Basically lets hope its Robocop, not TMNT.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The bathtub trying to eat the baby really freaked me out when I was a child, and the designs of the random background ghosts themselves were sufficiently gruesome. Ghosts only communicating in tortured fits of screaming doesn't really hurt anything either.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I had recurring nightmares about that library ghost as a kid. There was also plenty of hands in front of the eyes for flashlight eyes and spooky nanny arm, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Out of all of the problems I might have with GB2, Ghost 'Nanosz' is perhaps the biggest.

I may have mentioned it here before, but I feel that it would have been WAY more effective for him to show up to Dana's apartment to the surprise of Dana, Louis, and Janine, not speaking, and all of a sudden does the blue-energy-mouth-paralyzing move that Vigo does to the guys later on. While they're on the ground, he calmly walks to the room and takes Oscar away.

Maybe that'd be too dark, but holy poo poo, it would have terrified me. Then again, I have an infant son now, and that shot of Oscar on the edge of the building is holy-poo poo scary.

EDIT: I mean... think about it... Janosz/Vigo somehow manifested a ghost that for one reason or another took the form of a nanny, but with Janosz' face? Why? It's pretty dumb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EDIT: I mean... think about it... Janosz/Vigo somehow manifested a ghost that for one reason or another took the form of a nanny, but with Janosz' face? Why? It's pretty dumb.

I can't really give you a satisfying explanation but the ghost-nanny Janosz is creepy as gently caress. The way his arm just extends out and grabs Oscar is very offputting and he has a poo poo-eating grin on his face the whole time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I can't really give you a satisfying explanation but the ghost-nanny Janosz is creepy as gently caress. The way his arm just extends out and grabs Oscar is very offputting and he has a poo poo-eating grin on his face the whole time.

And he's in an old nanny wig and a dress, pushing a ghost carriage. I mean, I'm with you on your points, but unfortunately the rest just takes it all away for me.

poo poo like Janosz walking down Dana's hallway with ghost-eyes is way more effective. I would have loved more stuff like that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And he's in an old nanny wig and a dress, pushing a ghost carriage. I mean, I'm with you on your points, but unfortunately the rest just takes it all away for me.

poo poo like Janosz walking down Dana's hallway with ghost-eyes is way more effective. I would have loved more stuff like that.

Eh, you're looking for some weird level of consistency. Why pull the stroller to the street in the first place? Why make the baby walk out to the ledge before coming in the guise of a nanny? It's sort of like the discussion between Dr. Evil and Scott Evil, "Why can't we just put a bullet in their brain now?" Seems like the ghosts kinda rely on inefficient spookiness instead of just up front force to get what they want.

It's a cop out, but the answer is entertainment value. And in my mind it works, because like we all seem to be agreeing on, nanosh is loving creepy on multiple levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pander posted:

Eh, you're looking for some weird level of consistency. Why pull the stroller to the street in the first place? Why make the baby walk out to the ledge before coming in the guise of a nanny? It's sort of like the discussion between Dr. Evil and Scott Evil, "Why can't we just put a bullet in their brain now?" Seems like the ghosts kinda rely on inefficient spookiness instead of just up front force to get what they want.

It's a cop out, but the answer is entertainment value. And in my mind it works, because like we all seem to be agreeing on, nanosh is loving creepy on multiple levels.

Fair enough, and I do get how my argument is coming across. There can be arguments made about a LOT of things over both films. I guess this is that one thing that I have to wonder about. Everything else kind of makes more sense than this, within the GB universe.

Also, I liked this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCmGnU7VkA

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:suicide:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The nanny wig and dress just makes it all the more creepy but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The eye-lights in the dark hallway is the best bit in the whole movie though, I'll give you that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

For me, the Ghost Janosz thing works so well because at first you're not expecting it. It's ludicrous. He's flying around like Mary Poppins, dressed in drag, it's pretty funny. And then out of nowhere his eyes turn red and a giant fuckoff nightmare hand shoots out. It's disarming, especially to an impressionable youth.

Still, yeah, once you think about it, it makes no sense. Did he turn into a temporary ghost? Is it a ghost doppelganger?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

For me, the Ghost Janosz thing works so well because at first you're not expecting it. It's ludicrous. He's flying around like Mary Poppins, dressed in drag, it's pretty funny. And then out of nowhere his eyes turn red and a giant fuckoff nightmare hand shoots out. It's disarming, especially to an impressionable youth.

Still, yeah, once you think about it, it makes no sense. Did he turn into a temporary ghost? Is it a ghost doppelganger?

My main issue isn't with the actual manifestation, just the presentation, from Janosz's perspective. "Obviously, I should dress like a nanny!".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

My main issue isn't with the actual manifestation, just the presentation, from Janosz's perspective. "Obviously, I should dress like a nanny!".

He's dressed like a nanny because he's basically acting as a nanny to reincarnated Vigo. Just think of it as his true intentions manifesting themselves as a ghost or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He's dressed like a nanny because he's basically acting as a nanny to reincarnated Vigo. Just think of it as his true intentions manifesting themselves as a ghost or something.

Yeah, I guess. But I mean, I'm well-aware that it's also silly for Vigo to be a painting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, I guess. But I mean, I'm well-aware that it's also silly for Vigo to be a painting.

Yeah, but you're also totally correct for thinking the Nanny Ghost is dumb nonsense, which feels left in from a previous rewrite or some ill guided attempt to make kids laugh at a man dressed as a woman.

I've no idea why everyone here is defending it and fan wanking an explanation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

You don't think the nanny costume has anything to do with the role Janosz is planning to play in the "new world"? He's just randomly dressed as a nanny?

That's not fan wanking, that's watching the movie.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, but you're also totally correct for thinking the Nanny Ghost is dumb nonsense, which feels left in from a previous rewrite or some ill guided attempt to make kids laugh at a man dressed as a woman.

According to ghostbusters wiki

quote:

At one point, Janosz Poha was not the one to kidnap Oscar. A two headed dragon, creatures from a hellish world, a phantom taxicab, a giant pigeon, a face on the Moon, a vapor rising from the street, billboard figures, gargoyles come to life, and a horrible Santa Claus were pitched. [4]
They probably decided it would make more sense if Janosz did it personally, and then someone got the idea he should be dressed like a nanny given what he was doing. The fact it would be 10x cheaper also likely crossed their minds.

quote:

For the scene when Janosz kidnaps Oscar, Peter MacNicol was dressed in drag and photographed in front of a bluescreen. The arm stretch was achieved through a piece of tubing covered with costume fabric and rigged to slide down a pole. For the wider shots, a miniature rod puppet and buggy were photographed in front of a bluescreen and manipulated by character performers Bob Cooper and David Allen. [3]
Huh. Neat.

I'm not saying it's logical, I'm just saying it's pretty drat effectively creepy. The whole setup is great. It's just Dana, Louis, and Janine, so no ghostbusters to protect them. It's dark. Thunderstorm comes out of nowhere. Baby on a ledge. The clouds are low and tinted, giving the entire external scene a hellish and constrained appearance. Janosz appears, with the camera motion giving him and the carriage some kind of sickly odd motion. Eyes flash red, a mad cackle. The giant arm outstretches to steal a mother's baby.

The scene plays off so many phobias, and you're never quite sure how funny or terrifying it's supposed to be.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I thought he dressed like a nanny to make the baby want to go with him.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

He's dressed as a nanny because it's the kinda dumb thing that he'd come up with AND it's loving creepy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Y'all are looking at the wrong character.

The actual question is why Dana's 'negative thoughts' are being manifested as killer bathtubs, child-stealing nannies, and things of that sort.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Y'all are looking at the wrong character.

The actual question is why Dana's 'negative thoughts' are being manifested as killer bathtubs, child-stealing nannies, and things of that sort.

Why would Dana's negative thoughts create a person of flesh and blood from the upper vest side?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Why would Dana's negative thoughts create a person of flesh and blood from the upper vest side?

It's New York City, Dana's actually probably just super racist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yanosh is a dude working for Vigo, drawing upon the same well of power as him (people's negative psychic energy). He personally kidnapped Oscar to make sure it was done right. It's not that complicated.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

It's New York City, Dana's actually probably just super racist.

Well, poo poo. That's probably it right there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nonwhite people who live in New York: Ernie Hudson, Reginald VelJohnson

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McDowell posted:

Yanosh is a dude working for Vigo, drawing upon the same well of power as him (people's negative psychic energy). He personally kidnapped Oscar to make sure it was done right. It's not that complicated.

Exactly. It brings us back to the fundamental question of Ghostbusters fandom:

Since ghosts do not actually exist, what makes the story so powerful and relevant to these legions of nerds? What real-world anxieties do these squishy green blobs stand in for?

Or, as Dana says: what is Gozer doing in her icebox? The Sumerian god obviously rose from the prehistoric void to target her for a reason. Is 'icebox' a pun? Of course it is!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Exactly. It brings us back to the fundamental question of Ghostbusters fandom:

Since ghosts do not actually exist, what makes the story so powerful and relevant to these legions of nerds? What real-world anxieties do these squishy green blobs stand in for?

I think they're stand ins for aliens from outer space, which do exist.

Why do you think they cast Weaver in the movie?

Jack Gladney posted:

Nonwhite people who live in New York: Ernie Hudson, Reginald VelJohnson

Everyone in NYC has seen poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McDowell posted:

If you read what we we wrote (or what I wrote, specifically) I only have an issues with the nanny costume and carriage. It just seemed silly even in context.

• Locked thread