Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
May as well tack in a Heavy Venom Cannon too. Nids don't get much anti-armor and plinking Hull Points off isn't a bad option, especially if you get Onslaught and get to run while doing it.

2/3 of the way through my Doubles tournament. Doing miserably, mostly to bad dice and good matchups. High point includes a Hive Tyrant first-turn killing himself with a Perils, a 1, and a 12. Totally lost us the game too. :smith:

Using up all the bad luck today in preparation for the tournament proper tomorrow. Yeah... That's the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Perils is the worst. I had a game last week where a tyrant rolled perils, got wounded, then failed a grounding test, right in front of a squad of thunder hammer, storm shield terminators.

Then next turn it happened again to a different tyrant.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ahaha, I have no sympathy for perils. Miscast in WHFB is so much more deadly. Turn 1, I lost my firebelly wizard, took out 3 ogres. Turn 2, I lost my general wizard, took out 4 ogres. Unit retreated and took half my army with it :v:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm fairly certain Hixson has lost more wounds to perils on his Farseers than anything else.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Hencoe posted:

Bonesword/lash whip and some toxin sacs are a good option since you will strike at I8 and get to reroll your wounds against most everything in the game.

I'll try that. I've always wanted to convert up a Reaper of Obliterax, but because there is no official model for it and my leeriness of unique items (GW sure does love to arbitrarily get rid of options between codex updates! :vomarine:) I haven't bothered. Oh and because its probably way overpriced for what it does.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You can make two extra dudes out of the Starweavers with the Harlequin Troupe box. Still debating on this though for my squads, I have 2 I figure with Dark Eldar stuff I got I can make like 4 to 5 Harlequins. I've got some other stuff I think will work.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 28, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A cool looking bone sword will always be a cool looking bone sword.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder if Daren Parrwood ever looks back at his design and questions his decisions.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's nothing wrong with that model at all and it actually doesn't resemble a penis.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Do... do they think someone else made those Space Marines or that you walked out of the shop with it stuffed in your pants?

Its not about exchanging faulty things, its that they had an open exchange policy in case your gran got you the wrong thing for a present. In practice though it was abused by people buying loads of things from massive discounters because they heard they were gonna be amazing in the new codex, then realise they'd be awful and swap them for whats actually good at a real gw store leaving them with loads of stock they didnt want.

They changed this well before Christmas, i'm pretty sure i posted about it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

One time I went out with a girl who was like "Wait, this is weird. You're an animator who plays warhammer? I was JUST going out with an animator who plays warhammer" and I thought "that's hilarious, I bet it was a goon" and then I checked facebook and it turns out it actually was SRM.
Boston's entirely too small :v: Speaking of, we need to get another game in sometime soon.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ahaha, I have no sympathy for perils. Miscast in WHFB is so much more deadly. Turn 1, I lost my firebelly wizard, took out 3 ogres. Turn 2, I lost my general wizard, took out 4 ogres. Unit retreated and took half my army with it :v:

Yeah but spells in Fantasy can wipe out whole units and win you the game. Psychic powers in 40K are significantly less game-changing and are often kinda lovely. Also, the whole "one unit running causes the whole army to run" is wholly independent of the magic system and is just an obnoxious part of Fantasy in general.

panascope posted:

I'm fairly certain Hixson has lost more wounds to perils on his Farseers than anything else.

Farseers really don't have an excuse for taking a wound from Perils except in the most extreme of circumstances. Dying instantly, sure. Losing important powers or dice you needed, absolutely. But taking wounds? That's a thing that chump mon-keigh do, not cool space elf wizards.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
IA13 Valkeries for Chaos: any good? Fun? Can get a used one for cheap, I'm at the Hammerhead show on the UK today, if anyone is going stop by the Badger table and say hi.

Also got my eye on a Glottkin for a Greater Daemon...must resist.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Can anybody tell me what baneblade variant this is and what book it comes from?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's a custom-made self-cast Fellblade - there's a dude who's been making one for each Legion. (He also sells resin conversion kits to make those based on a Baneblade hull). Each is different - the Blood Angels one is essentially a souped-up Baal Predator with ginormous gatling cannons while the Thousand Sons one has this absolutely loving gigantic laser cannon and big reactor packs in the back.

Edit: Link to the dude's blog

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

How much loving money do they want for a plastic bloodthirster

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corrode posted:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Khorne-Bloodthirster-2014 ?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Drake_263 posted:

That's a custom-made self-cast Fellblade - there's a dude who's been making one for each Legion. (He also sells resin conversion kits to make those based on a Baneblade hull). Each is different - the Blood Angels one is essentially a souped-up Baal Predator with ginormous gatling cannons while the Thousand Sons one has this absolutely loving gigantic laser cannon and big reactor packs in the back.

Funny, when I saw it I said "That's a Stormhammer, the way it should be" and then went "huh?" at "Fellblade". Then I looked at the blog and he said he based it on the Stormhammer. Too bad FW didn't base the Stormhammer on the Stormhammer.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Drake_263 posted:

It's actually the Stormhammer. Fellblades have a single turret for their main weapons, and only one pair of sponsons. The rules for the Stormhammer are in HHIV, and those for the Fellblade are in HHI.

E: When he started that project, "Fellblade" was more or less a generic term for space marine superheavy tanks. Now they have all sorts of variants.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I started painting my Scions after having a talk with a friend who suggest I'd pretty much just use the same paint scheme as my Krigers but I'm not sure if I should go with Dawnstone for the fatigues or go with Russ Grey for a splash of brighter colour instead.
Also uncertain if I should do the armour edges in gold or something else like silver or copper colour. Feels like gold would clash a bit too much with the dark armour and feel a bit out of place.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There's nothing wrong with that model at all and it actually doesn't resemble a penis.

lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it literally looks like a vibrator

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

krushgroove posted:

IA13 Valkeries for Chaos: any good? Fun? Can get a used one for cheap, I'm at the Hammerhead show on the UK today, if anyone is going stop by the Badger table and say hi.

The Valkyrie is a pretty decent airplane- arm it with Rocket Pods and Heavy Bolters and it will chew up infantry targets while carrying around a nice little troop unit to drop off on the final turns of the game. AV12 makes it pretty resilient against most guns to boot.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Current tournament status: Riding high on a relatively easy win against a nice dude. He ran a big ground-game Chaos Space Marine list, hoping for Telepathy for defense. I pulled first turn, started popping his Maulerfiends immediately and proceeded to take the whole army apart in priority order with no pushback.

It was a good game in terms of friendly chatter and fun, but it was one of those where you feel bad for the other guy. Tabled on top of four having lost one Zoanthrope and 8 Gargoyles.

:rip:

I'll try and post results when I can. I have a feeling that the next game is going to be rough, as I'll be matched against the other tops. That is the point though, so

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Swap meet at TLGS today. 60 Boyz, 7 Stormboyz, some extra bitz = $20.00

Bless you, oh guy who quit playing Orks and wanted to clean out his basement. May your children always have juice.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Twenty bucks doesn't buy a lot of juice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is anyone else really satisfied with the Harlequin codex? Cause I really enjoy it I still haven't gotten Skyweavers yet but I have enough to field a few of the smaller formations and they are a lot of fun. Currently using Dark Eldar Lelith as a Great Harlequin but otherwise it's cool.

Still don't have enough to field a full Masque, but I can use Venoms as stand ins for Starweavers right now.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Like you aren't going to buy one you oval office.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Like you aren't going to buy one you oval office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BWFX9gT7G0

I've been clean for like a year and a half now. Although I've started digging stuff out to paint again and I'm reading this thread so who knows maybe I'll be knee-deep in plastic dudes again soon.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hixson posted:

You forgot the part where Smashfucker got poo poo on by a chaos sorcerer turning into a deamon prince from boons and killing all your stuff

Different game, but that totally happened. Sort of how I dropped a dreadnaught in a pod once on turn 1 and flamed out two whole squads of your dire avengers and your exarch or farseer or whatever it was.

The maulerfiend ate your Wraithknight later that game. I think one serpent was left on turn 5.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Do Space Marines have a reliable counter to flying monstrous creatures? Even with anti-air stuff I played a guy with a 2+ jinking daemon prince that was awfully annoying.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Uroboros posted:

Do Space Marines have a reliable counter to flying monstrous creatures? Even with anti-air stuff I played a guy with a 2+ jinking daemon prince that was awfully annoying.

That's a particularly hard nut to crack. Unless you're Tau or Eldar you really don't have many choices but to ignore it or wait for it to land.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

raverrn posted:

That's a particularly hard nut to crack. Unless you're Tau or Eldar you really don't have many choices but to ignore it or wait for it to land.

Outside of Assault Terminators is anyone even meant to handle these things in close combat, or is pretty much just hope you can toast it in a single round of shooting?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

koreban posted:

Different game, but that totally happened. Sort of how I dropped a dreadnaught in a pod once on turn 1 and flamed out two whole squads of your dire avengers and your exarch or farseer or whatever it was.

The maulerfiend ate your Wraithknight later that game. I think one serpent was left on turn 5.

No joke, I love your group's little spats in this thread.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uroboros posted:

Outside of Assault Terminators is anyone even meant to handle these things in close combat, or is pretty much just hope you can toast it in a single round of shooting?

Plasms does well against MCs, otherwise it depends on what you are talking about... the crone and harpy are easy for your average squad of marines to handle in close combat. A hive tyrant is another matter. Though keep in mind most units of imperials are S6 against monsters in close combat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sivores posted:

Can anybody tell me what baneblade variant this is and what book it comes from?

See, that's a proper Stormhammer conversion. It's a bit crampt, but it's the classic layout. The new forgeworld one really doesn't do it for me.

In the epic that bad boy had:
x2 twin linked super battlecanons
x4 lascanons
x12 heavy bolters

The FW 'pattern' has:
x2 twin linked battelcanons
x1 super battlecanon
x9 multi lasers you can convert into HBs or lascanons

When I eventually convert my own I have no drat clue where I'm going to fit a super battlecanon in addition to all the turrets. Maybe demolisher canon style?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

AbusePuppy posted:

The Valkyrie is a pretty decent airplane- arm it with Rocket Pods and Heavy Bolters and it will chew up infantry targets while carrying around a nice little troop unit to drop off on the final turns of the game. AV12 makes it pretty resilient against most guns to boot.

Thanks! I've been wondering what happened to them, can't remember them being mentioned very much lately, it seems the other big models have taken their place. I checked ebay listings on my phone and found I can get one for about the same price or cheap from this bitz seller at the show, so I'll wait on the Valkyrie for now.

But I did spring for a Baneblade kit, which I'll completely magnetize so I can make all the variants...but I'm going to Chaos it up so it has a Daemon engine in the back, and hopefully get a Chaos altar on it or something. I got some clear flame pieces from Zinge as well so I'll try putting LEDs in it as well.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

LordAba posted:

Plasms does well against MCs, otherwise it depends on what you are talking about... the crone and harpy are easy for your average squad of marines to handle in close combat. A hive tyrant is another matter. Though keep in mind most units of imperials are S6 against monsters in close combat.

I realize krak grenades do allow my Space Marines to have a hope of hurting monstrous creatures, especially if I hide them in terrain so I can get the first strike in, but when it comes to things like Demon Princes/Tyrants their insanely high initiative is what makes them so deadly. I was just wondering if there was anything that actually had any hope of weathering that initial assault and reliably hitting back.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The ubiquitous Chapter Master on a bike can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Or just be in terrain. Monstrous creatures are reduced to I 1 when charging through terrain. My Dimachaeron almost never swings at full initiative on the charge. If my Hive Tyrants are in assault, it usually means things have gone horribly wrong (because they're on the ground).

Terminators with storm should though are probably the best option. A hive tyrant will usually only kill one before getting hammered to death.

• Locked thread