Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

you mean keyboard equivalents. they're not actually faster, at least compared to a top-of-screen menu bar.

is there any recent research on this that actually takes into account modern screen sizes and the existence of muscle memory, or is it just received wisdom from the 1980s?

because I'm hella skeptical. I can believe that flicking the mouse to the top of the screen to open a menu is very fast and efficient, but then you have to pick something from that menu and you're right back to the problem of trying to precisely hit a very small target that is not anchored to the edge of the screen any more.

and I'm pretty confident that I can consistently press Alt-F, S faster than you can pick the Save option from a menu, however much you practice. I don't even have to take my eyes off what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

is there any recent research on this that actually takes into account modern screen sizes and the existence of muscle memory, or is it just received wisdom from the 1980s?

because I'm hella skeptical. I can believe that flicking the mouse to the top of the screen to open a menu is very fast and efficient, but then you have to pick something from that menu and you're right back to the problem of trying to precisely hit a very small target that is not anchored to the edge of the screen any more.

and I'm pretty confident that I can consistently press Alt-F, S faster than you can pick the Save option from a menu, however much you practice. I don't even have to take my eyes off what I'm doing.

why the gently caress would you alt-f, s when you could just ctrl-s

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

why the gently caress would you alt-f, s when you could just ctrl-s

I was trying to use the menus to make it fairer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i dunno, one thing that makes osx handy now is being able to select help and start typing a thing if you're especially out of your head while using your computer

saved my rear end while drunk photoshopping

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 14, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

race me motherfucker

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

race me motherfucker

hah, I already pressed it. bet you haven't even finished reaching over for your mouse.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gluing the menus to the top of the screen made sense when you had a 512x342 monochrome display and only used one application (with one window) at a time and toolbars with buttons didn't exist yet

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

gluing the menus to the top of the screen made sense when you had a 512x342 monochrome display and only used one application (with one window) at a time and toolbars with buttons didn't exist yet

osx in fact has toolbars with buttons

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol is it 2002 in here or something?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well it is the linux thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it occurs to me that poo poo like the hamburger menu is encroaching into desktop uis simply because designers DONT like the menu bar having to be included in every window taking up real estate

so youre all loving wrong anyway. osx is right. menus on every window caused the hamburgers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

by that logic, OS X is inferior because there's no way to eliminate the menu bar entirely, unlike Windows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no because windows also has a full length bar

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

which you can autohide if you really care

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont care. you are the one who cares. and youre wrong

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wow, that's some quality rhetoric there, pram. good job.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wipe those tears away

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

hah, I already pressed it. bet you haven't even finished reaching over for your mouse.

mouse? mouse?? i use a track ball like the handsome grownup computer user that i am, dummy. i bet usain bolt uses one too and he's very fast.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

lol is it 2002 in here or something?

down hill since then imvho

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im the whimsical dragon

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

https://community.kde.org/Mac

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"the hamburger" make sme laugh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i really want one of those hp chromebooks that look like those old mac whitebooks and to put gnome 3 on it............................................................................. i want it badly

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

i really want one of those hp chromebooks that look like those old mac whitebooks and to put gnome 3 on it............................................................................. i want it badly

so buy one, they're not even $300

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

it occurs to me that poo poo like the hamburger menu is encroaching into desktop uis simply because designers DONT like the menu bar having to be included in every window taking up real estate

so youre all loving wrong anyway. osx is right. menus on every window caused the hamburgers

designers are idiots
osx is poo poo
designers use osx because they're idiots and it's poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

down hill since then imvho

kde 3.x was really good

especially when they got rid of the eye-searing default theme (YES MAXIMUM SATURATION I'M ALMOST THERE gently caress YES MAKE IT EVEN MORE BLUE AND THEN ADD SOME LICKABLE BUTTONS)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yeah here we go

in kde 3.5 it almost looks not-lovely. same underlying technology they just turned down the brightness a little

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so buy one, they're not even $300

i dont want one bad enough to buy it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

i dont want one bad enough to buy it

make a go fund me that you have a dream of cuming on one.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah here we go

in kde 3.5 it almost looks not-lovely. same underlying technology they just turned down the brightness a little

dem fonts

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

linus looks so evil here

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
aw be nice he's very sensitive about his weight and his double chin

KDE2 was the best looking KDE by far because they tried to slavishly rip off somebody who actually had taste (BeOS, which was made of ex-Apple people, naturally). KDE1 slavishly ripped off CDE's looks. Which also looked fine in a no-frills businessy sort of way

KDE3 was a loving disaster because they decided to try doing their own thing instead of stealing other peoples' design work and surprise surprise it looked like poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
kde 2 really did have great visual design

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Как пропатчить KDE2 под FreeBSD?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

designers are idiots
osx is poo poo