Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PirateDentist posted:

I just picked up a used Leap V2 from a local office liquidator for a decent price. Aside from some scuffs it seems like new. Upgraded from a lovely wobbly costco task chair I got free when buying some ikea furniture off craigslist.

So far, it's really nice. However the cylinder is so low it drags on the carpet. I took it to an area with smooth flooring and it's 1/4 inch from the floor. Is that normal for a Leap or can the cylinder sink over time? If it's too low I'll try calling the place up and seeing if they can fix it, as I have the warranty for it. My other solutions would be get some type of hard surface for my desk area, annoying but doable, or try sticking one of those furniture sliding pucks under it.

Yeah it sucks. If your carpet is light coloured you can look forward to wearing a black stain into it over the next few years.

Anyway, when I brought this up someone suggested getting large casters for it. I can't recommend them myself as they won't ship overseas, but the idea is sound.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058OKO2W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Figured I'd run this past you guys since I know nothing about chairs. I found this craigslist ad for a random used Steelcase chair to replace my Costco chair: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/fud/4839917622.html

They seem to be an office design company so I guess they have a bunch of chairs they replaced for someone. Just wondering if this seems legit or if it is an obvious knockoff or some other thing I wouldn't even know to look for.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i got the cheap staples hyken chair and here is my review of it.

pros: it has a headrest, it's mesh with no pressure points or whatever. i can sit in it for hours with no discomfort and i feel my posture is improved. it was ~$160 before taxes.

cons: it's very plastic. the recliner lock only locks in 1 of 3 presets. the headrest is like an inch further back than where i want and seems to always slip into another position. after first assembly the back was crooked to the left and i had to totally remove and reattach it to fix (not sure what i did differently but the screw holes are huge and it's kind of ambiguous where the "right" place to attach them is). when recalling, the whole chair doesn't recline much, mostly just the backrest.

overall no serious buyer's remorse and if i ordered a Raynor thing tomorrow i'd still be happy to have this to tide me over the 2+ weeks it would take to deliver. which is what i'll probably do in a few months or weeks. i was basically rotating from bed, to couch to various old creaky chairs around the house every hour or so every day.

Yip Yips posted:

Kinda, yeah. But I also don't see how it can be hard to explain why you specifically don't want a Leap, etc.

i find it kinda ugly. and i want a headrest. also not crazy about getting something used that has bedbugs or pee in it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
My Leap v2 arrived today and so far it's been really great. It definitely feels like a office chair and if you are expecting luxury it will disappoint you, but it just exudes quality and solidity. The cushions are firm but very comfortable and I love the way the recline feature works because it gives your back support no matter what position you are in. Having all these adjustments is really great so far and it's pretty much cured my back and shoulder pain already. :D

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is the embody worth the extra $400~ over the leap? If this chair is going to last me 10+ years I really want something awesome.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Etrips posted:

Is the embody worth the extra $400~ over the leap? If this chair is going to last me 10+ years I really want something awesome.
It may be difficult to find someone that's used both for a substantial length of time.

I picked up an Embody recently and I'm pretty pleased with it, though. My rationale was that, if nothing else, it'll breathe better in hot weather. I was trying to avoid foam padding, and the Embody certainly accomplishes that.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Etrips posted:

I use an embody at work and I've tried the Leap. For me, hands down the Embody is the best chair I've ever sat in. When you get it adjusted, it just kind of disappears and you forget you're sitting in it.

I should also pimp the Haworth Zody I just bought second hand for use at home. The Zody is a great alternative to the better known chairs and can usually be found for less. Its claim to fame is the ability to tilt forward and support you while you lean in towards your desk. It's not something you want to do all the time but it's nice to have another position to switch to. The Zody is a well made chair and has a nice wide seat that is firm and supportive. I'm not really a fan of the Leap, preferring something that is a little larger with a higher back. The Zody and the Embody are great choices for that type of chair. I would have bought an Embody, but I just can't justify the high cost when I don't work from home everyday.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I could really use some help finding a good chair that fits me.

I'm 5'0" and would ideally like a chair whose seat I can position at about 13.5" as that would provide me with a comfortable 90 degree knee angle. The chair I'm sitting on now is about 15" and is just high enough to be uncomfortable (so I'm sitting cross-legged - something I'd like to avoid).

I e-mailed The Human Solution and the only chair they have that even comes close is this one. I don't mind dropping a nice chunk of change on a chair, but I'd like for it to actually fit properly.

Can anyone help me find a good chair for a petite person? Should I look at child-sized chairs? Am I doomed to always put a footrest under my feet?

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

You could always just replace the cylinder with a shorter one if you can't find a chair that goes that low

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
My worry is that if you find a chair that gets the seat height where you want it, your arm angle is going to be way high since you'll be reaching up to a standard-height desk. Unless you're mostly torso or something, I dunno. I'd think you'd be better off overall fitting the chair height to the desk to get your upper body aligned, and accede to the footrest for the lower half.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

nothingtrend posted:

You could always just replace the cylinder with a shorter one if you can't find a chair that goes that low

Interesting...do you know of any reliable guides I could follow? I'm not known for being handy but could give it a shot!

fatman1683 posted:

My worry is that if you find a chair that gets the seat height where you want it, your arm angle is going to be way high since you'll be reaching up to a standard-height desk. Unless you're mostly torso or something, I dunno. I'd think you'd be better off overall fitting the chair height to the desk to get your upper body aligned, and accede to the footrest for the lower half.

Luckily I have an adjustable desk so that's not an issue. It's set so low it looks like a child's desk. It's embarrassing but my knees are thanking me!

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

Easiest way is to use a pipe wrench on the thinner, upper part of the cylinder. This will damage the existing cylinder though unless you wrap it with something first, I've used an old sock before and a piece of cardboard before. Once the top part of the chair is free from the cylinder you can usually use a rubber mallet to knock the cylinder out of the base.

I've bought from http://www.chairpartsonline.com/
and http://www.newchairparts.com/ a few times with decent result.

nothingtrend fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 17, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Alright my old chair is 12 years old ikea lounge chair. $1000 chairs are expensive but I trust goon knowledge when it comes to goony computer related poo poo. It's kind of sad that My PC's and monitors has a shorter life span than my chair.It's cool that the arm rests are adjustable but even if i do get a height adjustable desk, where can I find a quality keyboard/mouse pad adjustable height rack? Any recommendations for triple monitor desks?

Thanks guys! Will buy a gesture tomorrow

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

caberham posted:

where can I find a quality keyboard/mouse pad adjustable height rack?

Could you clarify this? I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for. Are you referring to one of those slide-out trays that fit on the underside of your desk?

There used to be a desk thread but I believe it died due to inactivity. You can try asking in the Post your (actual) desktop thread instead, since that seems to be where all the desk discussion is now. Most people seem to be running either a custom-built table or an Ikea.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lovelyn posted:

I could really use some help finding a good chair that fits me.

I'm 5'0" and would ideally like a chair whose seat I can position at about 13.5" as that would provide me with a comfortable 90 degree knee angle. The chair I'm sitting on now is about 15" and is just high enough to be uncomfortable (so I'm sitting cross-legged - something I'd like to avoid).

I e-mailed The Human Solution and the only chair they have that even comes close is this one. I don't mind dropping a nice chunk of change on a chair, but I'd like for it to actually fit properly.

Can anyone help me find a good chair for a petite person? Should I look at child-sized chairs? Am I doomed to always put a footrest under my feet?

You could get a footrest.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

Are you referring to one of those slide-out trays that fit on the underside of your desk?

Yeah that's what I mean. Unfortunately steel case Asia doesn't sell the gesture for retail customers :( Oh well back to my Ikea chair

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
What's a good chair for tall people? Not really a fan of the Steelcase Leap as I find the back too short for my back (I"m 6' 2"). The Raynor Ergohuman looks like it might be good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Fagballzson posted:

What's a good chair for tall people? Not really a fan of the Steelcase Leap as I find the back too short for my back (I"m 6' 2"). The Raynor Ergohuman looks like it might be good.

I'm 6'1 and the Gesture fit me really well. Perhaps you should give that a try?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I don't know if this is normal or what, but I ordered an Embody about 5 weeks ago and it is only now shipping. I should have it in a week or so. I am going to lie to myself and say they hand crafted it for me.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

particle9 posted:

I don't know if this is normal or what, but I ordered an Embody about 5 weeks ago and it is only now shipping. I should have it in a week or so. I am going to lie to myself and say they hand crafted it for me.

Most of the high end chairs are build to order outfits. They don't keep an inventory on hand.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

particle9 posted:

They do build them to order, at least Steelcase does. Each chair also goes through testing and QA before shipping out. I contacted them when I was waiting for my Leap to ship and they explained the process to me. When I told them that I had called because my old chair was broken and I was suffering from back and shoulder pain because of it they expedited my order and it shipped out the next day even though it was a saturday. A couple days after it arrived I also received a call from one of their ergonomists who helped walk me through adjusting the chair and gave me some tips on posture and so on, so that was really nice of them. :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You could get a footrest.

Hey so I know you are the guy who works for the company that does the OM5. I am curious, if I wanted the best chair for gaming from you guys, what would you personally recommend? Is the PC gamer recommendation the same you would give?

Also, would the OM5 or whatever you would recommend be compatible with a butt kicker?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Hey so I know you are the guy who works for the company that does the OM5. I am curious, if I wanted the best chair for gaming from you guys, what would you personally recommend? Is the PC gamer recommendation the same you would give?

Also, would the OM5 or whatever you would recommend be compatible with a butt kicker?

Depends on a few things - I'd need your height and general build to make a recommendation, and if you have any ergo issues or things like extra-long torso/legs etc. And whether you like more traditional office chairs (with a bunch of paddles) or not adjusting at all. The OM5 is a great chair that works for a wider range of people than just about any other chair, but it's not the perfect chair for everyone.

Not quite sure what a butt kicker is...?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Depends on a few things - I'd need your height and general build to make a recommendation, and if you have any ergo issues or things like extra-long torso/legs etc. And whether you like more traditional office chairs (with a bunch of paddles) or not adjusting at all. The OM5 is a great chair that works for a wider range of people than just about any other chair, but it's not the perfect chair for everyone.

Not quite sure what a butt kicker is...?

A butt kicker is this: http://www.buttkickergear.com/ButtKicker_Gamer2_p/bk-gr.htm

It basically just attaches to your chair and acts like an N64 rumble pack for your butt. I've heard good things and as someone who loves an immersive experience it seems promising. I see no reason your chairs wouldn't work for it but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Also as to me physically, I am 5'9", 130 lbs. I don't really have any huge issues other than having god awful posture. I would like adjustability but really only for armrests and seat height.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

A butt kicker is this: http://www.buttkickergear.com/ButtKicker_Gamer2_p/bk-gr.htm

It basically just attaches to your chair and acts like an N64 rumble pack for your butt. I've heard good things and as someone who loves an immersive experience it seems promising. I see no reason your chairs wouldn't work for it but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Also as to me physically, I am 5'9", 130 lbs. I don't really have any huge issues other than having god awful posture. I would like adjustability but really only for armrests and seat height.

Ahh, it attaches to the cylinder, huh? Funky. It should work just fine with the OM5.

Sounds like the OM5 would work well for you. I'd recommend getting the RP45 arms, as they have some width adjustment on the armpads - which helps as the arms on the OM5 are a little further apart than on most chairs.

Personally, I'm a fan of the more traditional ergo chairs we sell like the PT78 and YS84, partly because I really know how to adjust them (and they cost a bit less). But the OM5 is a fine choice, and it will help with your posture as it encourages you to move around more instead of staying stuck in one position for hours.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ahh, it attaches to the cylinder, huh? Funky. It should work just fine with the OM5.

Sounds like the OM5 would work well for you. I'd recommend getting the RP45 arms, as they have some width adjustment on the armpads - which helps as the arms on the OM5 are a little further apart than on most chairs.

Personally, I'm a fan of the more traditional ergo chairs we sell like the PT78 and YS84, partly because I really know how to adjust them (and they cost a bit less). But the OM5 is a fine choice, and it will help with your posture as it encourages you to move around more instead of staying stuck in one position for hours.

Do you have a recommended distributor?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just chatted with a very nice sales rep at Ergodirect and I will probably have an OM5XT on the way in the next couple of days. She has to get back to me on price, which I assume means they won't come down too much, but even so $500 is a great price for a chair that fits my linebacker rear end.

I will post a review after I've sat in it for a couple weeks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Watched "Lucy" last night and the end part where she is sitting down Mrs. Slidebite goes "She's got your chair" and sure enough, she is sitting in an all-black Embody for the last 10 minutes of the show.

The movie was pretty disappointing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Disappointing is an understatement.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
So I got a steelcase leap chair off craigslist and noticed that the chair is missing a woodscrew and cylindrical washer that connects the lumbar support to the back of the chair, thus making the back not as firm. I was wondering if steelcase does parts replacements as the hardware store doesn't have anything this specific?

Here's a pic demonstrating what I mean:

lollybo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2015

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

lollybo posted:

So I got a steelcase leap chair off craigslist and noticed that the chair is missing a woodscrew and cylindrical washer that connects the lumbar support to the back of the chair, thus making the back not as firm. I was wondering if steelcase does parts replacements as the hardware store doesn't have anything this specific?

Here's a pic demonstrating what I mean:

Worst case, a flat-washer and oversized screw + threadlocker or drill-through + nut and bolt would fix it. The warranty covers the "original purchaser", so based upon that nomenclature, you're ineligible.

Best case, call Steelcase and say that you've had the chair since <date of manufacture>. You recline quite a bit, and somewhere along the way the screw popped out and got vacuumed up. They'll send you a new screw and washer... Install it, and you're good to go. If the threads are worn, it'll happen again... so go back to "worst case".

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.

I called Steelcase and bought a set of screws and washers. It is a bulk package so it is enough to replace the set for 32 chairs. These guys have the parts to replace anything broken on a chair, fairly impressive. So if anyone on this thread also needs that replaced, I can ship the part to you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I am seriously considering the OfficeMaster OM5, and giving my Maxnomic to a friend for cheap, but I want to know where the best place to order one from is? I really want to get the better armrests for it too.

Edit: I am confused, I am assuming I cannot order it straight from their site right? There are options and things but no shopping cart.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 2, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Knifegrab posted:

So I am seriously considering the OfficeMaster OM5, and giving my Maxnomic to a friend for cheap, but I want to know where the best place to order one from is? I really want to get the better armrests for it too.

Edit: I am confused, I am assuming I cannot order it straight from their site right? There are options and things but no shopping cart.

Retailers only. They don't sell direct.

Overlord66
Mar 17, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Retailers only. They don't sell direct.

Any online retailer recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Overlord66 posted:

Think he said http://www.ergodirect.com/ was a place that sells them.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!
Picked up a used Gesture this week after lurking in this thread for a while as well as researching as much as I could. I have pretty bad posture and like to play first person shooters with my feet on an ottoman and partially reclined. Given that, the Gesture seemed like a good fit and no surprise, it is very comfortable. I think it is also helping me to sit up a bit straighter. I am now no-scoping in comfort.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Overlord66 posted:

http://ergodirect.com was mentioned above. Also http://officerelief.com/ and http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/ .

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
I found a steelcase 451executive chair from 1982 at a thrift store for $4. It's got a lot of wear on the fabric on the arms so I doubt it's worth anything but it's still super comfy/sturdy and halfway decent looking for less than five bucks. It's cool because I've been fantasizing about stealing one of the steelcase Thinks from my school all semester and this should be enough to stop me from going through with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Wowporn posted:

I found a steelcase 451executive chair from 1982 at a thrift store for $4. It's got a lot of wear on the fabric on the arms so I doubt it's worth anything but it's still super comfy/sturdy and halfway decent looking for less than five bucks. It's cool because I've been fantasizing about stealing one of the steelcase Thinks from my school all semester and this should be enough to stop me from going through with it.

You could also look into getting it reupholstered fairly cheaply or reupholster it yourself depending on the construction.