Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Someone here in south Texas contributed a few coded flight plan route names. We have the WALKER, the ZOMBIE, the LEROY, and the JENKNS for our locally based Texan II Navy trainer squadrons. They aren't depicted on public charts but I had myself a goony laugh when I saw them for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Locally themed fix names (or STAR procedures/waypoints) are pretty common, but I maintain that the best one is the GPS RWY 16 into PSM, which involves crossing (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE, TATT, with the missed approach fix being IDEED.

Seattle has arrivals that reference both of their football teams (there's both a HAWKZ and SONDR, along with FOOTT, GOALZ, and NETTZ on the HAWKZ arrival), as well as a MARNR arrival with various Mariners references, and Portland has arrivals containing VOODU, DOUGHH, and NUTT (passed in that order), LIQWD, SSUN, SHYNE, as well as an arrival that has several references to microbreweries. One of the ILS approaches into PDX also crosses a fix called BUXOM, which happens to be located quite close to a nude beach on the Columbia river.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Disappointed there's no HIPSTR, FIXIE and BYCCL for PDX

Or perhaps HNDLBR - MUSTCH

:rimshot:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Disappointed there's no HIPSTR, FIXIE and BYCCL for PDX

Or perhaps HNDLBR - MUSTCH

There actually is a HIPSTR on one of the ILS's at PDX, but I'm kind of disappointed that a single fix name appears to be all the attention given to what's probably Portland's biggest export behind smug beer.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

There actually is a HIPSTR on one of the ILS's at PDX, but I'm kind of disappointed that a single fix name appears to be all the attention given to what's probably Portland's biggest export behind smug beer.

Found it, ILS RY 28L:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

REDNK in Texas anyone?

------------

Edit to avoid multiple postings
This guy has no idea what he is doing.

quote:

Man tries to steal plane at Ocala .....damage to the aircraft, including oxygen masks pulled down and inflated life vests.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 28, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

REDNK in Texas anyone?

------------

Edit to avoid multiple postings
This guy has no idea what he is doing.

"Police said they found approximately $200-$300 worth of damage to the aircraft, including oxygen masks pulled down and inflated life vests"

Seems pretty hard to only deal $200 of damage to an aircraft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I put BLMKN on the last list of possible fix names that got circulated. We'll see if it gets used.

There's a GOONS up near Cross City or Tallahassee, on J73 somewhere.

We have YOHOR on one of our GPS approaches. Pronounced by all as Yo, whore, of course.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

One of the fixes on the ILS runway 24 into Springfield, Ohio is JENAT. Nobody knows how to pronounce it. Is it Jen-ay? Jen-et? Jen-at?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
On the RNAV in to Moab the sequence is NERRI FELTA FATPU

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
North of AMA we have a fix on an RNAV approach to a satellite airport called JISAM. I pronounce it Ji-Sam, but other controllers here make a point to pronounce it differently.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Did something cool today, landing at B18 in New Hampshire, a seaplane base by summer and an ice runway by winter:

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Don't forget BIMBO is the entry point to the Canaries fir, and so is the name of numerous sids and stars, also over the pennies we have UVAVU and ERANU from the show shooting stars.

Edit... fixing autocorrect.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I wonder if there's a sequence somewhere that's KLATU BRADA NIKTO.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Zochness posted:

North of AMA we have a fix on an RNAV approach to a satellite airport called JISAM. I pronounce it Ji-Sam, but other controllers here make a point to pronounce it differently.

We were just talking about this in the squadron the other day... One of our IPs said jy-sam, the controller read back jism, and he was forced to say it that way :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The Navy guys around here get bent out of shape over BIGUY sometimes. They want to say it "Big Guy" and we'll often say it BI-GUY. Frankly I don't see a practical difference, they both sound pretty sexual to me, but then again my head is in the gutter.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I can only imagine the IF in to KDEC is pronounced jizz sock

thanks gutter brain

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

hjp766 posted:

also over the pennies we have UVAVU and ERANU from the show shooting stars.

Has anybody told Vic and Bob because that is amazing. I may tweet them if I can find a way to condense the explanation into 140 characters...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
At work we constantly use KLIT as an alternate.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Many of the SID's and STAR's at KDEN have cool fixes. Classic rock legends, phrases, etc.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

gigButt posted:

Many of the SID's and STAR's at KDEN have cool fixes. Classic rock legends, phrases, etc.

Let's not forget the infamous COORZ departure, apparently pilots aren't the only ones who drink.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nooo they are not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most pilots I've known could learn a thing or two about boozin' from controllers.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Challenge accepted. Where you at?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

xaarman posted:

Challenge accepted. Where you at?

I think he means "don't do it on the job." Which is a good lesson for pilots to learn from controllers.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
One of the localizers at DTW is named I-EPA because the EPA blocked it's installation for months. May or may not just be an urban legend.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think he means "don't do it on the job." Which is a good lesson for pilots to learn from controllers.

:vince:

(in all honesty please do not show up to work under the influence of alchahol. If you're at a point in your life where you're concerned that it may happen please check out the HIMS program. I know a few people who are in it and they all say they're better for it.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is this plane just doing touch & goes or what?

(Yes I did build an ADS-B receiver for home use.)

Edit: they must be, they tend to disappear over the airfield, and show up at 200' altitude east of the runway.

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 2, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
It's a Cessna 172. Probably a student pilot (either solo or with instructor) practicing landings and/or tower communications. Might be touch & goes, might be land & taxi back.

simble
May 11, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Did you use an SDR? If so, which?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Touch and goes at Tamiami?

NEVER.

(They have a number of really big flight schools there.)

EDIT: that one is owned by Dean International, one of the bigger flight schools.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 2, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I just got my raspberry pi and ads stuff this afternoon!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just got my raspberry pi and ads stuff this afternoon!

Nice! How much it cost, got any links to a build guide?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jamsta posted:

I'm on my phone right now, but google flightaware raspberry pi and they have a guide. I bought a kit through amazon that came with a bunch of other stuff.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

simble posted:

Did you use an SDR? If so, which?

One of the cheap RTL-SDR units on Amazon.

Jamsta posted:

Variable costs: $35 Raspberry Pi A (that I got for free), $15 RTL-SDR, $5 RG-59 cable, 50¢ solder-on SO-239 connector from a closing Radio Shack (should be an F-connector #yolo), $2 of PVC pipe, some resistors that were lying around, electrical tape, $15-each USB hub & ethernet adapter, $7 IKEA LACK table, so < $100

Fixed costs: $20 cat-5 stripper/crimper tool, ruler, maths, box cutter, soldering iron

My YOSPOSt about it:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

built an ads-b antenna (this one: http://www.balarad.net ) in some scraps of free time over the last couple weeks, finished it today

plugged the sdr into a raspberry pi, networked it

local web view:

online feed: http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/bonzoesc

eyesore in the corner of my upstairs bedroom

need to get some furniture to hide it inside

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Rolo posted:

At work we constantly use KLIT as an alternate.

Can any of the pilots find it?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kmcormick9 posted:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kmcormick9 posted:

We get where we want to be without having to.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

Its as real as chemtrails

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

kmcormick9 posted:

We can find it at my airline...

...but as you can see we tend to pull out a little late and still come early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KLIT is real, but I've yet to hear confirmation of the rumours about the existence of GSPOT...some say it's a final approach fix, while others claim it's an initial. WHO KNOWS?

• Locked thread