Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Mango Polo posted:

Finally got around to picking up 4U, two questions now.

1. Is the Hunting Horn any viable solo/early on?
2. Anyone feel like they have to press noticeably harder on the nub for the down direction?

As for the nub the longer you play I feel I have to press differently press from the top of the nub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok I need a link to this and that dope skin stat.

The grip was from amazon.jp, i had a proxy shipper send it to me. It has a really nice silky coating like a razer product
http://www.amazon.co.jp/CYBER-%E3%8...new+3ds+ll+grip
Its on ebay too but backordered and you will be waiting over 2 weeks for delivery

The skin is on amazon with low stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Ultimate-Nintendo-New-3DS-XL/dp/B00U0YBSES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425125407&sr=8-1&keywords=mh4u+skin

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I have carved Gore's plate from his tail 4 times now, and a scale twice

I just want a loving tail :cripes:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

The plates will come in useful later at least.

I made a light bowgun equipment set with God's Isle (got it after a recent volcano harvest tour) and hunter's set S. I plan to join lowbies and help them out without hard-carrying them. I dunno if this is a good idea but it sounds fun.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My favorite part of farming Dah'ren Mohran is choosing whether I'll afk on the boat, or after the boat crashes. Who designs a fight so if you do it quickly you don't get carves? I realize it's almost certainly not intentional but someone should have caught that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mango Polo posted:

2. Anyone feel like they have to press noticeably harder on the nub for the down direction?
1: Yes.

As for the second question it's a combination of it being easier to push the nub away from you than pull it down towards you, and if you play too long and your hands start sweating it'll be even harder to handle.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

The grip was from amazon.jp, i had a proxy shipper send it to me. It has a really nice silky coating like a razer product
http://www.amazon.co.jp/CYBER-%E3%8...new+3ds+ll+grip
Its on ebay too but backordered and you will be waiting over 2 weeks for delivery

The skin is on amazon with low stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Ultimate-Nintendo-New-3DS-XL/dp/B00U0YBSES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425125407&sr=8-1&keywords=mh4u+skin

Thanks but man that's a bit out of my price range for just a little bit of extra comfort. Oh well.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mango Polo posted:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Hunting Horns are the One True Weapon. Just about the only thing they can't do reliably is cut tails, and even that I started doing in low rank in 3U just to annoy my buddies who constantly fight over who got the tailcut.

You can rock out to make yourself move faster, never bounce, hit harder, get hit less harder, not use stamina, give yourself earplugs, sonic bomb enemies, ignore hot or cold environments...heck, on some horns you can even improve your elemental or status damage. Or heal. Some horns even have free heals. I mean, not all that stuff at once, but look at the last two pages of a horn's stats and it'll tell you every song that horn can play. My current-ish favorites are White, Red, Blue or White, Green, Light Blue. I just built my first purple note in 4U so I'm still learning those songs.

Nevertheless, if you're just starting out and have a healing horn, being able to duck out to play Green, White, Light Blue, Green can save you a ton of money and resources early on. Eventually you stop ducking out to play and just hit the monster with those notes, wait for an opening, and play'em while he's after your cat or something. After that you don't even wait for the monster to attack your cat and just attack with the recital. Healing and damage at once?

Oh, yeah, and knockouts. Nothing in the game is more satisfying that encoring an attack up song (White, Red, Red) and timing the flourishes just right to smack a charging Rathian in the face to knock her out cold. Now she's down, and you hit harder.

Also you can hunt monsters with a giant electric bass guitar.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

rofl the desire sensor strikes again

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've ordered a copy of the game after playing the demo a few times. I like how they let you try out all of the weapon classes. I know that if they had just given me, say, Great Sword, I would have just totally written off the game, as I can't use that thing well at all.

So far I think the weapon I can handle best is the Bow but I'm not sure if this is the kind of game where you can pick one weapon class and stick with it. Charge Blade is really cool too. I really wanted to like the Lance but the way you move with it feels really counterintuitive to me - I'll try to dodge to the side and instead I'll hop back.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've ordered a copy of the game after playing the demo a few times. I like how they let you try out all of the weapon classes. I know that if they had just given me, say, Great Sword, I would have just totally written off the game, as I can't use that thing well at all.

So far I think the weapon I can handle best is the Bow but I'm not sure if this is the kind of game where you can pick one weapon class and stick with it. Charge Blade is really cool too. I really wanted to like the Lance but the way you move with it feels really counterintuitive to me - I'll try to dodge to the side and instead I'll hop back.

One day you will discover that the simplicity of the great sword infact owns

There is no bad weapon in this game, just weapons that are harder. Bow and CB are actually considered pretty difficult and the bow in the demo is an especially special and weird bow. Charge blade is pretty technical but a lot of people like it (I have given up trying to be good at it).

Try everything if you do get the game an have the opportunity. If you find something thats really interesting, check the OP because it has a bunch of very indepth tutorials on each weapon. Playing a new weapon is like playing an entirely new game. :)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wish I had known about DS grips before :cripes:

I was resigned to waiting a year or two for a console release, then this game went from 'gently caress I wish I could play without horrible hand pain' to 'MONSTER HUNTER! :neckbeard:'

Now I'm two weeks behind all the goon hunters :saddowns:

How much of this game is online only?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
75% Is online stuff I'd say.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
None of the online quesrts are quests that you HAVE to do online, you could progress through the entirety of the game solo offline if you wanted to.

That said there's a significant amount of dedicated off-line only missions in this game, but farm far far more designed to be played with 2-4 people.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Anyone looking for a New xl Grip
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=271742727513&view=all&tid=1439925972017
It's $5 shipped if your in the US. Slow boat from china but hey.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Casnorf posted:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Hunting Horns are the One True Weapon. Just about the only thing they can't do reliably is cut tails, and even that I started doing in low rank in 3U just to annoy my buddies who constantly fight over who got the tailcut.

You can rock out to make yourself move faster, never bounce, hit harder, get hit less harder, not use stamina, give yourself earplugs, sonic bomb enemies, ignore hot or cold environments...heck, on some horns you can even improve your elemental or status damage. Or heal. Some horns even have free heals. I mean, not all that stuff at once, but look at the last two pages of a horn's stats and it'll tell you every song that horn can play. My current-ish favorites are White, Red, Blue or White, Green, Light Blue. I just built my first purple note in 4U so I'm still learning those songs.

Nevertheless, if you're just starting out and have a healing horn, being able to duck out to play Green, White, Light Blue, Green can save you a ton of money and resources early on. Eventually you stop ducking out to play and just hit the monster with those notes, wait for an opening, and play'em while he's after your cat or something. After that you don't even wait for the monster to attack your cat and just attack with the recital. Healing and damage at once?

Oh, yeah, and knockouts. Nothing in the game is more satisfying that encoring an attack up song (White, Red, Red) and timing the flourishes just right to smack a charging Rathian in the face to knock her out cold. Now she's down, and you hit harder.

Also you can hunt monsters with a giant electric bass guitar.

Alright, I'm convinced.

Also I've seen people mention weapon-specific tutorials in-game. Where do they appear?
I've switched around weapons a few times but nothing special happened (yet).

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The first stars quests are all literally called Training: Weapon Name, and they're good for practicing beating a Great Jaggi to death, plus you get some dialogue at the beginning. You also can always access weapon controls from the menu under Hunter's Notes at any time

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I really wish they had done more with Kut-ku, Gypceros, Basarios/Gravios, and those other old timey monsters instead of copy-pasting them into MH4U. They feel so completely out of place compared to the newer generations of well-animated monsters that actually have sane hitboxes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr Snofeld posted:

It may be tough to get through the entire game on just a bow. There are a handful of monsters that just zip around like assholes. Some of them aren't such large targets. Thankfully, the urge to try out new weapons is pretty organic. Charge Blade is good, and those two (well 2.5) very well may get you through.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

enojy posted:

It may be tough to get through the entire game on just a bow. There are a handful of monsters that just zip around like assholes. Some of them aren't such large targets. Thankfully, the urge to try out new weapons is pretty organic. Charge Blade is good, and those two (well 2.5) very well may get you through.

Well, I was able to kill the demo Tetsucabra with the bow, on the Experienced setting no less, and I usually spend my time staring at its backside and getting flattened by it. So that's a good start as far as I can tell. I'll give a few things a shot when the game arrives.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

Anyone looking for a New xl Grip
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=271742727513&view=all&tid=1439925972017
It's $5 shipped if your in the US. Slow boat from china but hey.

Gone now. These things are so drat hard to find

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well, I was able to kill the demo Tetsucabra with the bow, on the Experienced setting no less, and I usually spend my time staring at its backside and getting flattened by it. So that's a good start as far as I can tell. I'll give a few things a shot when the game arrives.

The Yian Garuga breaks all gunners, in the end.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Office Thug posted:

I really wish they had done more with Kut-ku, Gypceros, Basarios/Gravios, and those other old timey monsters instead of copy-pasting them into MH4U. They feel so completely out of place compared to the newer generations of well-animated monsters that actually have sane hitboxes.

Aside from the hipcheck monsters (which I guess intentionally have a dumb hitbox because I've certainly been hit by it when standing on the complete opposite side of where it's going), all of the Gen1-2 monsters actually do have an entirely revamped set of animations. Literally none of them have retained the two-point turn that Rathian and Rathalos kept, all of them have their own goofy stuff now, and a decent variety of new attacks.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I mean, if I understand right, if one weapon isn't working I can go hunt the materials to make a good version of another weapon type and give that a try, right?

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
It kind of blows that I basically need to make new armor again just for high rank just that I don't die in 2-4 hits. But whatever, Hermataur armor is awesome anyway.

How come on some weapons, the element damage stay will be greyed out and not work?

Can someone give me some pointers on making my Palicoes good? I keep sending ones I have out on Meownster Hunter missions and try only ever get a handful of scraps. Am I supposed to level them up and THEN send them on hunts?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I got a Daora Gem in my first fight with him - cool!

Then I fought Akantor and got 3 gems - one from the carve, one from the quest rewards, and the other from the subquest rewards.

:shepface:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Moon Man posted:

It kind of blows that I basically need to make new armor again just for high rank just that I don't die in 2-4 hits. But whatever, Hermataur armor is awesome anyway.
The game is all about making new poo poo. Get used to the grind.

quote:

How come on some weapons, the element damage stay will be greyed out and not work?
Those weapons need the Awakening skill on your armor to activate the elemental effect.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Goddam. Rathalos can tilt all of zone 8 in h mount. That was an interesting surprise.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Sard posted:

The Yian Garuga breaks all gunners, in the end.

I've been doing G rank Garuga runs with my HBG, and I'm one run away from finishing the armor when I stopped being able to find people running it. The trick to Garuga is the ignore your instincts and become the Garuga. Roll TOWARDS him when he charges you. You'll go right through his legs, and leave him looking like the idiot you used to look like.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So somethings not clear to me about weapons.

I have an artifact DS with 182 attack, fire element 150 (but it's greyed out?)

I have another DS upgraded to twin chainsaws and it has 140 attack, lightning element 80 (in blue)

It's not really clear how to compare these two weapons though. What does it mean if the elemental damage is greyed out?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

DisposableHero posted:

So somethings not clear to me about weapons.

I have an artifact DS with 182 attack, fire element 150 (but it's greyed out?)

I have another DS upgraded to twin chainsaws and it has 140 attack, lightning element 80 (in blue)

It's not really clear how to compare these two weapons though. What does it mean if the elemental damage is greyed out?

Greyed out means you need the awaken skill on your armor in order for the element to become active

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

DisposableHero posted:

It means that element isn't actually there unless you have a very specific skill called Awaken that comes from FreeElement points. In the past there wouldn't be any greyed-out numbers for us to see so we'd have to look up if a weapon benefitted from Awaken or not.

Basically, don't worry about those gray numbers. You probably won't be activating them any time soon.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Aha. Thanks. I had no idea that was a possible armor stat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Moon Man posted:

I think I did the double velocidrome high rank hunt (which isn't that much harder than low rank) two or maybe three times for a full set of Velociprey S armor and it was very very worth it; doesn't take too long to get yourself in fighting shape for early HR stuff

edit: also the game starts making GBS threads out armor spheres+ and advanced armor spheres in high rank if that's any consolation, you can upgrade that stuff real quickly

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Goddam. Rathalos can tilt all of zone 8 in h mount. That was an interesting surprise.

I've started calling that area the Rath Dining Table

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is there a quick farm spot for Hercudromes (bugs)? I don't think Kiranico is fully updated for 4U yet, since it's still giving me old map names. Trying to make the Tetsucabra S armor set.

Nevermind, found it! Didn't realize they had an entire new site for 4U.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 28, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

One day you will discover that the simplicity of the great sword infact owns
Yeah, but Greatsword isn't quite so simple now. It IS, especially compared to other weapons, but it has a lot more versatility than it used to. The mounting mechanics alone afford you the opportunity to buy your own full charge combos, and the attack-out-of-rolls you can do now help you re-position slightly and keep up the damage without needing to constantly re-sheath.

GS used to be a one-hit-wonder, and that playstyle may still be 'optimal', but there is plenty of room now to do something OTHER than draw charge attacks. I used to neglect the weapon, despite always having an easy time getting kills with it, because I didn't like the simplicity. I think they're in a good spot with it now. It's still incredibly simple. You "just" hit things with it, no meta-mechanics to gently caress with. It's just that now you have enough of a moveset to hit things with a tiny bit of variety.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

When I play greatsword I find myself going
BOOM BOOM BOOM :boom:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Greatsword is an elegant hammer for refined gentlemen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fauxtool posted:

They are just not playing around you if its an issue. You need to be tripping everyone nearby to be doing your excellent damage. Other LS and GS are unaffected by your hit, and IG has armored moves if they are playing correctly. If a LS user is consistently hitting his full spirit slash he is also doing crazy damage.

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not, because I had someone in all seriousness argue that it was on the other people to not get tripped constantly by a LS user recently, rather than the LS user to, you know, not swing like a madman and trip up all their allies constantly. It was a bit surreal.

• Locked thread