Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nah it's very good I mean dorkosaurus you can do no wrong imo, I love your stuff. I would definitely lose the white strip at the right edge though, it looks like a bad scan. Or else Content-Aware fill the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah, it looks pretty swell on my end (I even dig the white bar, but that's a subjective thing), and despite any issues you may have had with color stuff in the past your work is pretty killer.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Thanks y'all. I guess there is a bit of subjectivity to color balancing at any rate.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Thanks y'all. I guess there is a bit of subjectivity to color balancing at any rate.

I don't mind the background or the white bar, I think it's a rad picture. It is a tad red, but not as much as usual.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks like this company Bergger is planning to release new film, starting with ISO 400 b&w large format sheets! http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=147621

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I kind of want to try a TLR simply because they look cool as hell... what's my best bet for getting something decent to dick around with 120? Keh?

I've already got everything I'd need to develop 120, and I'd only need a negative carrier if I wanted to print.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yashica Mat 124G - should be able to get one for around $200

e.g. https://www.keh.com/341884/medium-format-misc-yashica-mat-124g

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
e: oops, wrong thread.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

deaders posted:

Hmmm, you can get a C330 with the 80mm f/2.8 for around that on the 'Bay too...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Looks like this company Bergger is planning to release new film, starting with ISO 400 b&w large format sheets! http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=147621

I'll be definitely trying out the 4x5. I'm in for some 8x10 too as long it's on the inexpensive end.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

deaders posted:

That's some unusually long development times.

If Maco or Fotoimpex has it next time I order film I'll probably try a pack.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hmmm, you can get a C330 with the 80mm f/2.8 for around that on the 'Bay too...

Yeah, this is the way to go. I'm pretty sure it'd serve competently as a weapon if need be, also. Feels like a brick.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I got a C330 with the 65mm f/3.5, and it's really good. I wanted the 80mm and couldn't find one at the time, but now I'm feeling like I'd rather have the 65mm anyway.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I just can't stop shooting 4x5 lately!

Lidia, in the snow, on 4x5 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I just can't stop shooting 4x5 lately!

Lidia, in the snow, on 4x5 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Shoot even more! :D

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Kampong Kapor Methodist Church by alkanphel, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

deaders posted:

Yeah, echoing the "Get a C330 and 80/2.8" sentiments here.

I don't get the infatuation with the cameras that Yashica produced. I have been repeatedly told by older local photographers, that they used to go after the most price-sensitive segment of customers. Well-made was usually not a key consideration when you chose a Yashica. They're also the only company no-one bothered to buy out.

They are nice looking cameras with reasonably good optics, sure. (I have a black 35GTN as desk decoration at work.)
But the build quality of those cameras is less than stellar. They are being panned and thus cheap on the used market here, too.

Get an Autocord/Mamiya/Ricohflex Dia or a cheap beat up Rolleiflex Automat. The Tessar lensed version, but not the horrible, now overpriced, T model -- same reason as above. Yeah I know Vivian Maier, but come on!

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Well I got a Mat 124G in mint condition for $180 and the image quality for that price is superb (although it does struggle in strong back-lighting).

The C330s are a bit more expensive so the Yashicas present a cheaper way to try out medium format. Build-wise yes they feel more flimsy but on the flip side they feel as though they are around half the weight of the C330 and portability is always a good thing. Build quality probably varies, maybe I got lucky but everything on mine works perfectly. I wouldn't want to drop it though.

deaders fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 7, 2015

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Yeah, for a low investment intro to 120 the Yashicas are pretty good. If you have an active craigslist, search for Mark Hama's name as he is the guy for CLA. I got my C from a user here, serviced, for $125 and I love it. It's a joy to take out and shoot street with as it weighs very little and people go gaga over it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks for the tips, guys... I'll probably have to wait a bit before my wife lets me buy anything, but at least I know what to look for.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Your wife has to allow you to buy stuff?
I hope you're joking.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

Your wife has to allow you to buy stuff?
I hope you're joking.

I ask her before making non-trivial purchases, just as she asks me. I've spent a bunch on car parts recently, so I will refrain from immediately spending even more on a camera just because I think it looks cool. I'm a little surprised I have to spell this out but goon reputations etc I suppose.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ask her before making non-trivial purchases, just as she asks me. I've spent a bunch on car parts recently, so I will refrain from immediately spending even more on a camera just because I think it looks cool. I'm a little surprised I have to spell this out but goon reputations etc I suppose.

You're not alone - my wife was upset for some silly reason when I dropped $2000 on a body and two lenses earlier this year. So silly.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

So you weren't

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
More taxidermist. Too green?

Tim Nickerson by spikemccue, on Flickr

img850.jpg by spikemccue, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Awkward Davies posted:

Seems like it to me. I think it works for the bottom one though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah, they could do with some more magenta, at least on the low end.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You could try to white balance off the ground, which looks like gray concrete to me.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Awkward Davies posted:

Super green.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo. Yeah.

Can I ask how you did this? I'm terrible at coloring (obviously).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
On my third try I got a sheet of 8x10 xray developed without mangling it. I think I need to upgrade to real film or at least single sided xray film.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Awkward Davies posted:

Holy poo poo. Yeah.

Can I ask how you did this? I'm terrible at coloring (obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

That poo poo green as gently caress tho.

Not that I'm one to talk

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gently caress that video

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

gently caress that video

That video is like the dorkroom Bible.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-snype posted:

On my third try I got a sheet of 8x10 xray developed without mangling it. I think I need to upgrade to real film or at least single sided xray film.

How are you developing it?

I'm halfway through building my single hanger tank for colour processing. Just need to get some 8x10 e6 film to fall of the back of a truck.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

How are you developing it?

I'm halfway through building my single hanger tank for colour processing. Just need to get some 8x10 e6 film to fall of the back of a truck.

Rotary, in a unicolor print drum with motor base. I'm using Diafine diluted 1:2 for five minutes. So far I have only developed high contrast negs, that one is lit by an LED light camera right. I might switch to rodinal, depending on how the next few come out.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've found the 1:100 for 6min in rodinal works well, do the same kind of agitation as you would a roll of a film. I've also found the hangers to be pretty great, have much less film damage than any of the other methods I've tried for x-ray. Its a poo poo of a film to work with.

Are you shooting the blue or green sensitive film?

Spedman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 8, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's the green Fuji HRT stuff. I grabbed a box for a song on ebay. I'll probably pick up some mammography film in the near future. It's like $80 for a box of 100 sheets but it's single sided.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The only problem I've heard with the mammography stuff is it comes in weird sizes, I've never looked into it myself.. There's also the Arista Ortho film thats $40 for 50 sheets:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/51815-Arista-Ortho-Litho-Film-2.0-8x10-50-Sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

That video is like the dorkroom Bible.

That video is pretty good up to the point you realize that you have no idea WHY you're doing any of that, or how it actually works, so that when you get a photo like mine above that's green as gently caress all you can do is blindly play with curves in Photoshop which usually just makes it worse so you have to start over.

So, anyone got any resources that go deeper into color processing etc?

Asking for me, a big color retarded poo poo baby.

• Locked thread