Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
At work a group of us bring in our own coffee to brew since the company-bought coffee is pretty terrible. Would it be possible to rig something up from a Pi that outputs the following to a small ticker?

Displays the rough amount of coffee left in the carafe as a percentage (I'm thinking some sort of a scale below the carafe with the full and empty weights being predefined)
Displays the date brewed (every time the carafe is put back on the scale the date is updated, so in the morning you would see the previous date, indicating the coffee hadn't been brewed that day yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
Might not do the date brewed, but I'm reminded of the world's first webcam, which was used to tell if there was coffee in the coffee maker thing at some university.

You could use the Pi Camera to do something like that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would get a load sensor (bathroom scale sensor) and put it under the entire coffee pot brewer, then wire the "brew" switch (they're normally momentary) to a GPIO. You might have to disassemble a digital scale, I dunno. They're $10 each online and a digital scale has between 2 and 4 plus a display for $30

Every time the GPIO goes low (BREW), take a photo along with a weight reading and tag it as [BREW], then also every time the load sensor detects a change of > 3oz worth of coffee, take a weight reading and photo 45 seconds after the weight stabilizes.

Between the BREW events with weight and regular mapping of carafe weight you should be able to build a pretty usable graph, with a way to click on individual points and get a photo to backup the status of that point in time, something like this?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Haquer posted:

The Pi likely isn't giving it enough power, you'll have to use the Y splitter into an external power source to give it more juice, likely.

I've thought about doing this since Y-cables are about 1/10th the price of a decent powered hub, but I'm afraid of backfeeding. Do the simple y-cables (like http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Y-Cable-Splitter-YC150B-Extension-Cord-1-Female-2-Male-More-Power-Supply-/261292328894) offer any protection against backfeeding when using a separate power source?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've never actually gotten my y-cable to work properly with my Pi

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
So is this the place I could possibly get some help on this matter? I'm currently trying to get an ownCloud server going on a Pi B+ but I'm running into an issue where I get an "Error Downloading" notice, usually occuring while I am uploading. I believe it is a cron error since it doesn't show it updating on the admin page and putting a crontab update doesn't seem to work (but I somehow got it to work for a bit until I did a reboot). I can provide more info if people are willing but I'm not entirely sure where to start other than trying to troubleshoot why the admin page isn't showing updates from the cron.php file.

That said: It's at the point that it goes through periods of downloading errors followed by long stretches of successful uploads. I'm really digging it as an at-home cloud server, I just want to upload everything without having to get it to re-sync multiple times in order to catch everything it fails to do.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just got a new case for my Pi2 - it's made from black anodized aluminium.

So much better than the plastic case which came with it - unfortunatley not that cheap, $64, but in my opinion worth it, it looks great.

Can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151551288999

20150224_162257 by vexborg, on Flickr

20150224_162910 by vexborg, on Flickr

20150224_162925 by vexborg, on Flickr

20150224_163012 by vexborg, on Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish you could find a drat Pi2 in stock somewhere. :smith:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I know that it isn't something that I should be worried about, but is there a recommended "fix" for the Raspberry Pi 2's light-sensitivity?

I just put a tiny square piece of electrical tape over the voltage regulator.

Would it be safe to cover it in black nail polish?

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish you could find a drat Pi2 in stock somewhere. :smith:

My local Micro Center (St. Louis) has had "Out of Stock" on their website since forever. I was just in there for something unrelated (picking up a refurbished router) and I saw a ton of them just sitting on a shelf.

I got one for myself. I was toying with the idea of buying a bunch to send to other people.

I could sell them for my cost + shipping ($34.99 + 9% tax + $5.75 USPS tracked Priority shipping = ~$44).

Is this something that I should do if I see more?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
They're not hard to find anymore guys, all the Microcenters have them and there's plenty of people selling them on Amazon for no real markup.

I bought this one from $70 with Prime shipping, http://www.amazon.com/Guide--Clear-Case--Power-Supply--WiFi-Dongle--Kingston-Adapter--HDMI/dp/B00MV6TAJI/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Xenomorph posted:

I know that it isn't something that I should be worried about, but is there a recommended "fix" for the Raspberry Pi 2's light-sensitivity?

Don't take a xenon flash photograph of it? If that's too hard, put a dab of opaque wax, glue, or epoxy on it, or yeah electrical tape is probably fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If I buy a Pi2 and pop in my micro SD card from a B+, will everything work fine?

Very tempted since I have an extra Flirc case to make one for home and one for travel.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bovril Delight posted:

If I buy a Pi2 and pop in my micro SD card from a B+, will everything work fine?

From what I understand some stuff may, and some stuff will not. Someone should confirm/deny this though, because I'm not entirely sure. But being as its a different architecture, one would think it wouldnt just be 'plug and play.' v:shobon:v

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
According to this site, you'll have no problems getting it to run if you initiate
code:
sudo apt-get update
and
code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
before switching over. I haven't tried this myself, yet.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hey, so I"v got a board designed for the Raspberry Pi Compute module.

Well, the part that interfaces with the Pi itself.

That means it's not particularly difficult to design a board that will do pretty much anything.

What should I build?

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
I think the real question is what you want to build. Instructables and Hackaday.io are good places to search for ideas.

Edit: I personally created my own Dropbox clone for home use (and eventually accessible from the outside world) using a mishmash of two different tutorials. It works pretty well with a 99% effective download rate and ~90% upload rate. It's surprisingly fast once you get it optimized enough, but uploading takes a lot longer than downloading.

Soon I will build a webcam which has X and Y tilt and which can be controlled through the interwebs. If I can make it a rover that can power itself for 3+ days then I will try that, but my main goal is to have remote home security and a rover will allow me to check on various pets and rooms with one setup, plus it'll be cool as poo poo to have a rover for my home security.

durtan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 25, 2015

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So I'm just about the make the upgrade from my Pi 1. I'm heavily leaning towards the o-droid since I'm in Korea and it's a good amount cheaper than the pi 2.

Just to clarify before I throw my money at it. Is the O-Droid more powerful than the pi2? About equal? Or what?

And are there any real disadvantages to an O-Droid besides the CEC thing? Is there any big thing that a Pi can do that it cant?

And does anyone have any experience with the O-Droid U3? It's more expensive but it's not insanely priced or anything. I just don't know if it's any good in it's price range or if at that point there are other more capable devices I could be looking at, or if it's not enough of an upgrade over a C1 to justify the extra cost.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After following the Pi for ages I finally bought one. Just an A+ I'm gonna use as a torrent box (I have a USB network adapter).

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

BrainDance posted:

Just to clarify before I throw my money at it. Is the O-Droid more powerful than the pi2? About equal? Or what?

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013
http://www.adafruit.com/category/105

Adafruit has 8 left in stock right now. No idea how long they will last. Good luck grabbing one.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The most notable thing to take from that is how the Odroid gets utterly crushed by the GPU battle. 113 to 41 on the score in favor the Pi2, depending on the program/content the Pi2 may end up a better media center.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

YouTuber posted:

depending on the program/content the Pi2 may end up a better media center.

I got one acronym for ya: HEVC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMLlW_ohx4U

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

YouTuber posted:

The most notable thing to take from that is how the Odroid gets utterly crushed by the GPU battle. 113 to 41 on the score in favor the Pi2, depending on the program/content the Pi2 may end up a better media center.

That's the glmark2 score right? I was trying to make sense of that too, but isn't the note on the bottom saying that even though the Pi was scoring really well it wasn't actually fully working?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

0:38 :psypop:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ, I didn't catch that and neither did anyone in the Youtube comments.

Ebay Kettle guy strikes again, apparently.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

BrainDance posted:

That's the glmark2 score right? I was trying to make sense of that too, but isn't the note on the bottom saying that even though the Pi was scoring really well it wasn't actually fully working?

Yup, looks inconclusive - if the Pi wasn't rendering anything to screen who knows if it was actually running the benchmark and just returning early, providing an artificially high score.

No 1 rule of video creation. Avoid reflective surfaces when recording naked. :D

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
I'd like to mount a Pi B+ and an Arduino in a homebuilt chassis built out of Erector set parts. Some of the parts looked like chromed steel and the others appear to be powder-coated steel. Anyone have any idea if I'll need to worry about proper grounding like building a computer?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Is there a way for me to create something like a cluster where the master can reflash the microSD card on the slaves? I could probably write some server/client server to do that but I was hoping there was a way using the GPIO pins to somehow do that. The plan is to create a testing server I can push to, which would iterate through OS images and flash them (along with the script to test) to the slave, then reboot the slave which would then (via a startup script) run the testing command against whatever script I put in the slave's image ~/test dir.

RPIa = master
RPIb = slave
ssh -> RPIa -> command to test script.pl -> RPIa iterates through its stock of OS images, copies script.pl into it -> RPIa somehow flashes the SD card of RPIb -> RPIa makes RPIb reboot -> RPIb reboots into OS images and does its thing -> RPIa iterated to the next OS after X amount of time

The reason i'd like to do an all hardware version is for the novelty of it as well as I only have to worry about 1 piece of software failing instead of 2 (whatever script makes the server flash the slave vs client/server message passing scripts).

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Short answer: no. The GPIO pins do have JTAG capability, but that's basically just for debugging (you actually need a running system to issue the command to switch the pins from GPIO mode to JTAG mode). The intended recovery mode is "pop the flash out, reflash it to a known working state yourself, and pop it back in." This means the foundation didn't go to the effort of building a complex recovery bootloader in ROM that's capable of rewriting firmware.

It's not all hardware, but the best way to do what you want is probably going to be U-boot. With a minimal bootloader on the network card, you can pull everything else down through TFTP.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2
I'm having difficulties (after not having used Linux in about 10 years) getting Transmission up and running properly for a torrent box. The idea here is to not have my desktop always on but rather the RPi, which obviously uses a considerable less amount of power.

I have a feeling it has to do with incorrect permissions, but the daemon is definitely installed, and I can access Transmission through my Windows browser (Chrome).

If anyone has done this, assistance in making sure key elements are setup properly would be great. Thanks!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

uG posted:

Is there a way for me to create something like a cluster where the master can reflash the microSD card on the slaves? I could probably write some server/client server to do that but I was hoping there was a way using the GPIO pins to somehow do that. The plan is to create a testing server I can push to, which would iterate through OS images and flash them (along with the script to test) to the slave, then reboot the slave which would then (via a startup script) run the testing command against whatever script I put in the slave's image ~/test dir.

RPIa = master
RPIb = slave
ssh -> RPIa -> command to test script.pl -> RPIa iterates through its stock of OS images, copies script.pl into it -> RPIa somehow flashes the SD card of RPIb -> RPIa makes RPIb reboot -> RPIb reboots into OS images and does its thing -> RPIa iterated to the next OS after X amount of time

The reason i'd like to do an all hardware version is for the novelty of it as well as I only have to worry about 1 piece of software failing instead of 2 (whatever script makes the server flash the slave vs client/server message passing scripts).

I'd look at trying something with chroot environments (kinda like docker, but I don't think docker is supported on the Pi easily), where you copy a new root to each Pi and then chroot into it and run your tests.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Dunderhead posted:

I'm having difficulties (after not having used Linux in about 10 years) getting Transmission up and running properly for a torrent box. The idea here is to not have my desktop always on but rather the RPi, which obviously uses a considerable less amount of power.

I have a feeling it has to do with incorrect permissions, but the daemon is definitely installed, and I can access Transmission through my Windows browser (Chrome).

If anyone has done this, assistance in making sure key elements are setup properly would be great. Thanks!

IIRC the default configuration of transmission binds to the loopback address (127.0.0.1), so you can't access it from anywhere else in the network. You should modify /etc/transmission/settings.json and change the address to 0.0.0.0:

code:
  "bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
  "bind-address-ipv6": "::",                        
Don't forget to stop the daemon before doing this, or else your changes will be overwritten.

E: I'm not sure if you have to change too these others settings:

code:
    "rpc-authentication-required": true,
    "rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
    "rpc-enabled": true,
    "rpc-port": 9091,
    "rpc-url": "/transmission/",
    "rpc-username": "transmission",
    "rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,192.168.*",
    "rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,                                 
These are my config.json settings and it works, so you probably need to set these ones too.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 28, 2015

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
81 in stock and going down... was 92 when I added it to cart...

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2358

Edit:

I will be using the Pi2 to upgrade my PelicanPi gamebox...

Still need to machine the monitor plate and the rear plug plate... Perhaps getting the Pi2 in will prompt me to finish this project.

nonentity fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 28, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
holy poo poo that owns. what monitor and battery do you use? how long does it run? total cost?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Cool, I've been considering something like that. Have you broken out the monitor HDMI or are you using LVDS somehow?

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

wheez the roux posted:

holy poo poo that owns. what monitor and battery do you use? how long does it run? total cost?

Well, here's the specs on it...

Pelican 1170 case, black with modified hinge so the lid would open further at a more legible angle
Raspberry Pi B+ (soon to be Raspi2)
Low Profile MicroSD adapter - https://www.adafruit.com/products/966
Adafruit 10.1" Display & Audio 1280x800 IPS - HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL barebones monitor - https://www.adafruit.com/products/1694
D Link 7 port Powered USB hub - http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Hi-Spe...+7+port+usb+hub
Lighted Anti Vandal switches (2x)
Pololu pushbutton power switch (x2) - https://www.pololu.com/product/750
USB panel mount extender plugs (4x) - https://www.adafruit.com/products/908
Ethernet panel mount extender plug (1x) ... just in case - https://www.adafruit.com/products/909
802.11 wifi nubbin
bluetooth nubbin
Logitech F310 gamepad (x2) - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425176783&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+f+gamepad
Tomee SNES USB gamepads (x2) - http://www.amazon.com/Tomee-Control...ords=tomee+snes
McSaite mini USB keyboard
Logitech laser laptop mouse
Machined aluminum plates for keyboard deck and soon, monitor panel
3A 5V wall wart

Software:
Current version of Retropie running Emulation Station

Pros:
Vintage games from original gameboy to atari to NES to SNES look awesome on HDMI.
I've somehow built myself a little linux laptop
I could probably drive over it with my truck and it'd be ok.
I can carry around all the games I grew up with in a slick black case.
It's great for family vacations/get-togethers

Cons:
I can't get the Y splitter for the HDMI working, so that I can swap between on-board monitor and external plug. To do that I have to crack it open and physically swap HDMI cables. Still looking for a solution to that.
It takes a good bit of power, I am ordering a 10 watt 5V power supply for it.
Mouse and Gamepads don't fit in the case (no more room)

Future:
Battery? Sure I might embed one, waiting for the price to come down a bit.
Finish off the machined aluminum monitor mount.
Upgrade to Raspi2 and more current Retropie/Emulationstation
Figure out how to make my HDMI splitter or switch work so I can plug it into a bigger monitor if I wanted to

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nonentity posted:

Edit:

I will be using the Pi2 to upgrade my PelicanPi gamebox...

Still need to machine the monitor plate and the rear plug plate... Perhaps getting the Pi2 in will prompt me to finish this project.

Please post pics on mounting display and keyboard.

Kind of a shame you cut holes in the waterproof case, it would have been a great chance to make use of dual inductive chargers

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Please post pics on mounting display and keyboard.

Kind of a shame you cut holes in the waterproof case, it would have been a great chance to make use of dual inductive chargers

Well, I thought about running plugs and wires through the keyboard plate, so i could keep it waterproof, but I thought it would be way too cluttered. Plus I need some of that room to drill my speaker mesh holes. If a better solution arises, I am pretty sure they still make pelican cases.

Also, don't know what a dual inductive charger is, nor does it have an onboard battery at this time to charge.

The current display mounting setup is a cut to fit piece of plastic sheet, and two rubber bands. Like I mentioned, I still need to machine the permanent display panel mounting plate. I'll take pics of that when I do it for sure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's underneath the keyboard plate? Seems like a large amount of space if there's just a Pi in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

What's underneath the keyboard plate? Seems like a large amount of space if there's just a Pi in there.

Pi, 7port USB hub, display driver board, cables, USB and Ethernet extention cables, switches, etc.

Once I get the right lengths of cables and such, I plan on cutting some foam or wood inserts so I can mount things more securely inside. But it's been ok, in this state for more than a year.