Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
it's a good day when you go to charge a LiPo and it's at 0volts.

10 minutes in NiMh mode, at 5 amps... and viola, it's over 6v. Now, it's charging normally. 2000ma into the pack so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Nerobro posted:

10 minutes in NiMh mode, at 5 amps... and viola, it's over 6v. Now, it's charging normally. 2000ma into the pack so far...

I see you like to live dangerously.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Golluk posted:

You can tell the pack is charging because it's getting bigger!

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Nerobro posted:

And I was worried today because I ran a 3s battery for longer than I normally would and one of the cells got down to 3.25 while the other two were at about 3.35...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Golluk posted:

you can bet I didn't take my eyes off that pack for the duration of the charge.

Funny thing is? My CHARGER overheated and shut down, the battery only got "a little warm" at a 5 amp charge. The outside case of my DC6 was 125 degrees 3 minutes after it shut down. It was 122 when it actually shut down...

Total mah to fill the battery? 600 from the initial charge, 2700 from the first balance charge then shutdown. 500 from the next attempt. Then I let it cool, and it put a final 1200mah in.

It's a 4000mah battery. That.. seems about right. And it the hard case, is still the right size and shape.

Arrest that rear end! posted:

And I was worried today because I ran a 3s battery for longer than I normally would and one of the cells got down to 3.25 while the other two were at about 3.35...

I won't say what I did was "smart" or "ok." But it was a $45 battery, and it had only been cycled once. I figured it would survive. I bet it's remaining cycle life is going to be pretty short.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

You can do what you like, it's just it seems like a bomb type situation. You did this outdoors away from anything flammable, right?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Arrest that rear end! posted:

You can do what you like, it's just it seems like a bomb type situation. You did this outdoors away from anything flammable, right?

"Seems" and "is" are different things. It was indoors, on a fire resistant surface. And I was never more than a foot or two away. That said, it was a bit of a nerve wracking thing to do. Stupid stuff is a little less stupid if you're keeping a constant eye on it. You'll note I know the temperature of the charger.. I was checking temps, and looking for cell distortion the whole time.

I'm still amused that the thing that gave up, was the charger.

The whole episode was still a lot less abusive than 4c charging, or 40c discharging. :-) 5amps is 1.25c on this pack.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is probably one of the best 3D helicopter vids I've seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAeO_1DoNy8

Crazy stuff!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After a few hours of screwing with it spread out over 2 days I finally got my little Super-X to fly smoothly. I was a little depressed when I couldn't immediately get it working. I didn't even know how to bind the thing to my Orange T-six(You turn on the T-six while holding the trainer switch) since all the tutorials for the thing use a Spektrum Tx.

After that I couldn't get the motors to arm even though the board said it was bound to the tx. Through a few rounds of changing numbers and writing to the multiwii I discovered I could arm the motors by assigning ARM to Aux5, throwing the switch, then power-cycling the transmitter. It wasn't the switch that did it, it was a combination of that and turning the tx on and off again really quickly that got the motors spinning.

At that point I could fly it, but it was a mess. It would immediately pull to the back right if I throttled up slowly, so I had to really quickly throw it up into the air while trying and not hit my ceiling. Once it was up it responded to my controls super slowly and drifted really bad.

Anyways I got home today after reading up on it at work and got my Tx throttle trimmed to slightly more than 1900 and changed the MINTHROTTLE MAXTHROTTLE MINCOMMAND MINCHECK MAXCHECK numbers to ones I pulled from 60 pages of RCGroups forum posts.

Now the motors arm perfectly and it controls super smoothly. I need some foam earplugs for the feet though, it is making some rough landings.

I also buuuutchered the magnometer calibration because I tried to do it with the super short FTDI tool cable and the props still on. So far I haven't used headless mode though. Barometer mode sort of works when I tried it low to the ground, but when I tried it at about 5 feet up it just descended so I have to play with that a bit more. Seems like a slowly descend to floor mode.

EDIT: Already broke a leg, replaced all of them with earplugs.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 1, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Crazy stuff!

:stare:
Some people can fly copters, but some know how to make them DANCE.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, that was nothing short of amazing. There were a few times when I seriously expected his tail rotor to touch the ground, that dude has some serious skill :aaa:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can't imagine the literal mountain of wrecked parts he generated to become that good.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some people can fly copters, but some know how to make them DANCE.

What I'd love to see is his hands while he does that. I can't imagine how fast he is not only just moving the sticks but flicking other channels around to change modes and such. I think I could hover that first 2 seconds of the video, after that it would look like just before I crashed it every other second I tried to fly, lol..

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I like fuselage style quads where you can hide everything. I think your arms are too short.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
The arms are just right for 5" props.

I just finished six of them with angled motor mounts.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Reminder to comment here if you're in the US: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150-0017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright I crashed this thing and now it's acting weird, any Multiwii guys I could use your insight:

It was flying perfectly, I hit throttle too hard, it smacked the ceiling, then hit the tile. After a hard crash like this I usually have to push the motor shafts back into position which I did this time.

When I went to start the quad back up again the back left motor would not spin, and even at full throttle there wasn't enough power from the remaining motors to even budge it on the floor.

I thought I damaged an ESC but then I remembered I could plug the board into my PC and fiddle with the TX to see values change. Doing so I can see now that at full throttle my motors are doing this:

When before the crash they would all power up equally. Now I can see that full throttle is only putting the front left motor at full, Front R and Rear L are at ~1600 and Read R is at 1400.

Is is Rear L that will not spin even though the GUI says it should be receiving a value of 1614 at full throttle.

What did I do here? I am confused.

The motor itself appears undamaged. I can spin it freely and there is no grinding noise or any sort of resistance other than the magnets.

EDIT: Okay none of that information above means anything because the throttle changes based on how the quad is angled. In the mean time I've re-assigned the ESC output from the Rear L to the 5th and 6th ESC output connectors, and re-calibrated the ESC's but the Rear L motor won't budge like the other 3 when it does the test.

I guess the plan is to swap this ESC with another arm's ESC and see if that one fails to spin now.

EDIT2: Swapped the ESC with another one and the other motor spins fine, so I guess my Rear R motor is hosed, not the ESC.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 2, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

ease posted:

I like fuselage style quads where you can hide everything. I think your arms are too short.

A few pictures of this weekends progress.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That video TX arm holding the bend in the cable is pretty badass.

I have two possibly naive questions.

- The two antennas coming out at an angle, I assume one is for your receiver but what's the other? Also, is the angle chosen for any particular reason? (This is from photos in the gallery)
- In the last photo the motors are angled with shims; how do you know what to put there as opposed to just mounting the motors flat?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think most people are going for about 10 degrees. Both of those antennae are likely part of a diversity setup on his receiver (lots of 2.4 ghz receivers come with two) and you get the most of of it when they're 90 degrees apart.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

That video TX arm holding the bend in the cable is pretty badass.

I have two possibly naive questions.

- The two antennas coming out at an angle, I assume one is for your receiver but what's the other? Also, is the angle chosen for any particular reason? (This is from photos in the gallery)
- In the last photo the motors are angled with shims; how do you know what to put there as opposed to just mounting the motors flat?

As menttioned previously those are a diversity antenna set for the Frsky D4R receiver.

The motors are shimmed because this was originally designed as a quad and now that I have added more motors the props overlap.I could have just made a spacer and raised the middle motors up but by putting them on an angle I don't have to worry about the blades hitting each other and it provides a degree of forward thrust since this thing is meant for racing.

Someone on reddit doubted the strength of my arms so I did a little load test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS2JFgcAFEE

Maxed out the scale at 2500 grams and still not even close to a prop strike. Should be more than adequate when the motor puts out less than 700 grams of thrust.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Crazy stuff!

Jesus christ

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Do you guys know any hints/methods for getting better at flying 3D helicopters? I have a nano qx 3d that I can somewhat fly around stuff in my living room (in 3D mode, the two stabilized modes are pretty easy to control), but I still crash it a lot.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

EightBit posted:

Do you guys know any hints/methods for getting better at flying 3D helicopters? I have a nano qx 3d that I can somewhat fly around stuff in my living room (in 3D mode, the two stabilized modes are pretty easy to control), but I still crash it a lot.

Get a simulator.

Not just being a dick or whatever, that's seriously the answer. Realflight and Phoenix are both phenomenal, I personally use realflight.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

EightBit posted:

Get a good simulator and skip the super micro stuff. A blade 180 is the smallest you should go and expect to be able to learn anything. I have had an MCP-X and two Nano CP-X's and they flew terribly; once I jumped up to a good 450 my progress increased much, much faster.

I finally edited the footage I have been getting with my NEFPV Mini H:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYsLyTtC2I

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Wojcigitty posted:

Get a good simulator and skip the super micro stuff. A blade 180 is the smallest you should go and expect to be able to learn anything. I have had an MCP-X and two Nano CP-X's and they flew terribly; once I jumped up to a good 450 my progress increased much, much faster.

I finally edited the footage I have been getting with my NEFPV Mini H:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYsLyTtC2I

That NEFPV stuff looks fun & cheap.. what sort of fpv setup do you use?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Heres another fpv option up for preorder. Basically like the quanum goggles with a better monitor, receiver and molding http://www.headplay.com/shop/headplay-hd-with-58ghz-rx

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/03/34560/taking-photos-of-the-planes-going-by-at-klia/

This is why we can't have nice things.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
HobbyKing is having another sale - an SK450 RTF from the int'l warehouse is ~125$

I am still waiting on backorder for my first quad, but it's pretty tempting.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really want to buy this FPV Plane:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__38072__HobbyKing_174_8482_Go_Discover_FPV_Plane_EPO_1600mm_PNF_.html

I have no idea how to fly one, and there is nowhere in my city that I could fly it.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

helno posted:

A few pictures of this weekends progress.

Did not know this was hex, that's why it looked funny.

That thing looks rad.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I really want to buy this FPV Plane:
ummm

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I have no idea how to fly one, and there is nowhere in my city that I could fly it.

No sir, do not pass go. Learn to fly first.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sure fly in a safe place above all but go hog wild, buy that thing learn to fly on it and don't look back.

Foam planes take an amazing amount of ogrish flying and landing making them perfect for this purpose.

Hands on method best method :frogc00l:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

Sure fly in a safe place above all but go hog wild, buy that thing learn to fly on it and don't look back.

Foam planes take an amazing amount of ogrish flying and landing making them perfect for this purpose.

Hands on method best method :frogc00l:

How many bixlers did you manage to kill in the process?:D

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Only one but it could be more and would change nothing :angel:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

ease posted:

Did not know this was hex, that's why it looked funny.

That thing looks rad.

Well let me tell you that hexacopters require 50% more soldering. I dont think i will ever do an octo.

Just need to finish printing the RX moount and add some props and it is ready for tuning.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
If I wanted to buy this to learn to fly a quad copter, what controller should I go with? A friend has been linking me to drone videos non-stop recently and I came across one that recommended the nano XQ because it's cheap and impossible to kill.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

padijun posted:

If I wanted to buy this to learn to fly a quad copter, what controller should I go with? A friend has been linking me to drone videos non-stop recently and I came across one that recommended the nano XQ because it's cheap and impossible to kill.

If you're looking for a decent, cheap starting transmitter, the entry level Spektrums are okay (the DX5e, maybe).

If you want something you'll be able to use longer, the Walkera Devo line is pretty decent, especially when flashed with the Deviation firmware.

If you're okay with spending some serious money and want to buy the one transmitter you'll ever need to buy, you want the FrSky Taranis with a DSMX module, which is probably the best air transmitter you can buy, but is by no means cheap. On the absolute opposite end of the spectrum, if you were hoping to spend more like $20 on a transmitter, the stock Nano QX RTF transmitter is definitely not the worst starting transmitter you could use, but you'll want a new one pretty fast if you buy more multirotors.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ionicism posted:

If you're looking for a decent, cheap starting transmitter, the entry level Spektrums are okay (the DX5e, maybe).

If you want something you'll be able to use longer, the Walkera Devo line is pretty decent, especially when flashed with the Deviation firmware.

If you're okay with spending some serious money and want to buy the one transmitter you'll ever need to buy, you want the FrSky Taranis with a DSMX module, which is probably the best air transmitter you can buy, but is by no means cheap. On the absolute opposite end of the spectrum, if you were hoping to spend more like $20 on a transmitter, the stock Nano QX RTF transmitter is definitely not the worst starting transmitter you could use, but you'll want a new one pretty fast if you buy more multirotors.

I'm really looking for something cheap as gently caress to learn the basics on, I'll pretty much be using it line of site, short range only. Once I feel confident enough in my abilities to fly something worth a couple hundred bucks, I'll probably pass it on to a friend who's interested in learning. Do you have a link to the Nano transmitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ionicism posted:

Erh, just get a Turnigy 9XR.