Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Tippis posted:

Has there ever been a case in videogame (or movie) history where a character has just moved out of the way of the speeding object, or (gasp!) moved towards it to make it fly overhead rather than chase them? That would be so sweet if it happened…

Jumping to the side is common, but also kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CJacobs posted:

I kind of like her characterization in the new game. Though the plot direction comes from her dumb tertiary character friends, the game makes it clear that it's not only luck guiding her through, it's also her survival skills (and the player's ability to button mash I guess). Her actual character arc happens incredibly quickly ("oh no I'm scared I can do this I can do this" to "GET OUT OF MY WAY *headshots a million riflemen with a deagle*" in only a few hours), but the story portrays her from the start as the resourceful and intelligent Lara she always has been. She just doesn't get devious with it until later on in the game.

It wasn't a few hours though? The number of times you make camp for the night it seems like you're on the island for a few weeks. I really liked how the gameplay and Lara's attitude changed over the course of the game.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

It wasn't a few hours though? The number of times you make camp for the night it seems like your on the island for a few weeks. I really liked how the gameplay and Lara's attitude changed over the course of the game.

No, the story was definitely over the course of like 24-36 hours. Every time you made camp, you just hung out to improvise a grenade launcher onto an ak or something (you know, girl scout poo poo) and that's it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In less controversial topics: Social Justice Warriors released :v:. Did anybody here actually play it? Is it fun as far as the gameplay goes or does it depend mostly on the subject matter gimmick?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, the story was definitely over the course of like 24-36 hours. Every time you made camp, you just hung out to improvise a grenade launcher onto an ak or something (you know, girl scout poo poo) and that's it.

Most games do that. That's the joy of using your imagination. I imagine she fried up some of the animals she eradicated, took the occasional piss, and napped a bit per camp fire. Realistically experiencing time in video games would be awful in most cases.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I imagined there was better gameplay.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lmao steam, thank you for reminding me why I don't want GalCiv 3

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Objecting to game ownership based on the Canadian currency is a bit weird, dude.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I imagined there was better gameplay.

I'm waiting for two sequels from now when Lara will actually be doing the gunkata gymnastics poo poo that she could do in the original games instead of just taking cover behind waist-high obstructions. If we're going to be forced into endless combat at least make it fun.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Despite the horrible marketing and the offputting violence, Tomb Raider is the most SJW warrior friendly game on the market, since (character death spoilers)the only survivors are the minority characters, and everyone who dies is a straight white male.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Like I bet Stardock is real happy that the top curator on their Steam page is just a reminder of the Wardell sexual harassment controversy, but I'm even happier because it saved me $27.49

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Assuming all the bad guys are straight is kinda presumptuous, Jack. :colbert:

DStecks posted:

Like I bet Stardock is real happy that the top curator on their Steam page is just a reminder of the Wardell sexual harassment controversy, but I'm even happier because it saved me $27.49

Stop getting angry about Canadian money.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I haven't, no. It's on my wishlist though, I'm aware of it. It's a pretty thin line to tread between being a great walking sim and being something more along the lines of Master Reboot or Mind Path to Thalamus which come up short, so I usually wait for sales.

Leviathan: Old City is pretty cool. It doesn't have puzzles like Ether One, but the narrative and imagery is really great. It's also quite a bit darker, thematically. I'd say it's definitely worth a go if you liked Ether One.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

It wasn't a few hours though? The number of times you make camp for the night it seems like your on the island for a few weeks. I really liked how the gameplay and Lara's attitude changed over the course of the game.

Like most gamers, Lara requires a solid 14 hours of sleep each night.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I remember once reading somewhere that one of the Pirates of the Caribbean games was a rebranded version of some other pirate game and actually a pretty decent pirate simulator once bugfixed with fanpatches. Is the At Worlds End game currently on sale for 10€ that one, or am I thinking of some other PotC game?

Estel
May 4, 2010
I think it was the first Pirates of the Caribbean game. It was going to be the sequel to Sea Dogs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

I don't get it, you can't enjoy a game now and still have a problem with a part of it? Does it have to be love it or loving get the hell out of my house you plebe kind of deal? It's an idiotic argument to make.

What I don't get is why people have some massive loving stupid argument over it if it's just "a part in the game I don't like".

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oo Koo posted:

am I thinking of some other PotC game?

You're thinking of the 2003 game made by Akella and published by Bethesda. It's just called Pirates of the Caribbean.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks. Good to know.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What I don't get is why people have some massive loving stupid argument over it if it's just "a part in the game I don't like".

Because generally speaking, people respond to posts like that with more stupid bullshit about how they don't have to play the game if they don't like it, maybe they'll throw in something about censorship or being a baby.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

King Vidiot posted:

I'm waiting for two sequels from now when Lara will actually be doing the gunkata gymnastics poo poo that she could do in the original games instead of just taking cover behind waist-high obstructions. If we're going to be forced into endless combat at least make it fun.
They basically created a sequel to Uncharted so I don't think this is going to change. The latest Uncharted is going to own though so the next Tomb Raider will have to bring some new tricks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Uncharted has always had kind of lackluster gameplay and really cool set pieces and a fun cast of characters. The Tomb Raider reboot blows it out of the water as a shooter and that's all I really need from it, but it would be nice if they did a better job with the story hook next time around.

Also let me shoot dinosaurs.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 28, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
There were parts of the combat I liked, like I liked when guys would close the distance and you could scramble around throwing dirt in their face and then braining them with the ice axe. Also that bow and arrow, it was probably my most used weapon by the end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The combat is wayyy better in Tomb Raider than Uncharted, Uncharted's combat was honestly loving horrible especially in the first game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Because sometimes people can disagree with something even if they agree on other things?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mycot posted:

Because sometimes people can disagree with something even if they agree on other things?

Right, it's a "disagreement" and not "everyone getting offended and spitting their best hyperbole and sarcasm at each other".

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I stopped liking Uncharted after 3. I thought the story and gameplay were both poor, but maybe 4 will be good?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The combat is wayyy better in Tomb Raider than Uncharted, Uncharted's combat was honestly loving horrible especially in the first game.
First Uncharted wasn't too good though, the series gained popularity with the sequel which nobody expected to be that good after the original game.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

I stopped liking Uncharted after 3. I thought the story and gameplay were both poor, but maybe 4 will be good?

Yea I dunno why but I just didn't like the 3rd one. I can't say it's a bad game but it didn't feel fun.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I don't know. For me tomb-raider felt way too easy, even on the hardest mode. I had a lot more fun with uncharted 2, even though that franchise swung in the other direction of several bullshit difficulty moments. I didn't enjoy Uncharted1 at all and 3 was just ok. I thought tomb raider had nice visuals and some fun exploration, but the combat gameplay was boring and easy to me to the point where I wasn't feeling at all challenged or having much fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

First Uncharted wasn't too good though, the series gained popularity with the sequel which nobody expected to be that good after the original game.

Tomb Raider had way better combat than Uncharted 2 or 3 as well. It's not even a competition, the gunplay in Uncharted isn't that great. They did a bit better with TLOU and maybe Uncharted 4 will be on par or better than TR, but who knows.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Tomb Raider, Camilla Luddington (the VA) just had an interview about the game and upcoming sequel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Right, it's a "disagreement" and not "everyone getting offended and spitting their best hyperbole and sarcasm at each other".

I don't see that. It seems like people are actually talking about the game and their opinions. :shrug:

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Daily deal is Transformers:Rise of the dark spark. Anyone know if it's as good as fall and war for Cybertron? Also the previous two games are 50% off for the daily.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

"We wanted to make a girl that was somewhat familiar, yet had a special quality about her – something in the way her eyes look and her expression in her face that makes you want to care for her," art director Brian Horton explained to Game Informer.

Horton and team decided to "soften up" Lara almost right away, but kept distinguishing features such as the ponytail, brown eyes and M-shaped mouth. Horton also "wanted a little bit of that baby fat" and "roundness of the face" to emphasis Lara's younger age.

Dude was a super creeper, and after that statement, was dropped from doing ANY interviews, press stuff or commenting on the game.

So as an FYI, as an artist who makes video games this is literally the way characters are designed and talked about. Like, I've heard our character artists talk this way about Mickey Mouse or an ice monster. You have certain age, emotion, physical build, beauty/ugly, etc targets you need to meet while designing and building a pile of digital information that you then have to convince players is actually a real live person, so yeah you have in-depth conversations (or 10-person hour-long meetings) about what the appropriate amount of facial baby fat is to accurately communicate a certain age.

I mean I don't know if that guy is a creeper or what, but that quote is straight character artist shop talk and is exactly what character artists should be concerned with. It's literally their job.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Tomb Raider, Camilla Luddington (the VA) just had an interview about the game and upcoming sequel.
I'm shocked that they finally gave Lara some clothes matching the environmental conditions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Tomb Raider had way better combat than Uncharted 2 or 3 as well. It's not even a competition, the gunplay in Uncharted isn't that great. They did a bit better with TLOU and maybe Uncharted 4 will be on par or better than TR, but who knows.
Yeah, Uncharted series has handled enemy waves very poorly and enemies have too much health in general. TR handles waves more intelligently, some areas once you clear them out are cleared for good, and other areas like the bandit camp will respawn enemies but they don't ambush you, they always respawn in the distance so you can prepare for them.

In Uncharted games, you clear out a room, then run halfway into the room, and two more waves spawn ahead and behind you. This isn't hyperbole, it happens constantly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sonel posted:

Daily deal is Transformers:Rise of the dark spark. Anyone know if it's as good as fall and war for Cybertron? Also the previous two games are 50% off for the daily.

It's a movie tie-in that has nothing to do with the Cybertron games. I think it's an Activision budget title.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In Uncharted games, you clear out a room, then run halfway into the room, and two more waves spawn ahead and behind you. This isn't hyperbole, it happens constantly.
I played the whole series and never experienced this, weird. TR is still better in every way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

I'm shocked that they finally gave Lara some clothes matching the environmental conditions.

Well she fell off a ship that was in the process of breaking in half in the first game. Not a whole lot of time to pack a bag. She's ready to roll this time around.

• Locked thread