Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

Yeah I totally can't one foot backwards glide at all. Tried it at public skate a few days ago, I can't even begin to do it. I'll focus on that. Lemons don't feel like skating to me either but I also feel like my inability to do it backwards is definitely a symptom of having something wrong with the way I skate backwards.

Thins brings up a couple of broader questions for me: how much is balance something that can be trained, and what are some ways to work on balance off-ice?

Practice makes perfect with balance. I learned how to do backwards crossovers by practicing on the roller rink near my place. Took forever to have confidence enough to do it in-game. It helped to watch video of NHL defensemen doing it properly. Not many beer leaguers do it right either, so I wouldn't use them as reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you just want to work on ankle strength, get one of those little air filled bubbles from a sporting store. Stand on it with one foot and it'll whip your overall balance into shape quickly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anders posted:

If you don't have unlimited ice time, buy inlines.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Most of the people that I'm playing with don't do backwards crossovers at all, but occasionally I'll see better players at rookie shinny doing sweet pivots and I want to be able to do that. I thought my backwards skating technique was okay but if I can't do lemons or glide on one foot it's probably not, so it's no wonder I can't get crossovers happening.

I'm on the ice about 3x/week (1x LTP hockey class, 2x public skate, occasional drop-in hockey game) but I might pick up inlines in the summer. I'm hoping to be able to get on the ice just as much all summer though. I really want to play defense eventually and I know you have to be a really strong skater to do that well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It just takes a lot of repetitions to really get it down. Even if you don't feel improvement on each skate every time you skate backwards you're training your body on how to do it and it gets a little bit better.

If you don't mind a read, get Laura Stamm's book. She breaks down the components of skating into a list of bullet points that you can focus on when trying to skate. Make a conscious effort to precisely adhere to at least one of them every time you skate to help out with baking the skill in.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jeremy Weiss has a new video out about defending 1-on-1s. My mind just kind of exploded a little because I'm Captain Huge Swinging Stick Check, and he goes over why that's a pretty lovely defensive strategy.

backward crossovers are over-used in beer league hockey because they're hella fun. notice the defender in the video only does two crossovers the entire time

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

Thins brings up a couple of broader questions for me: how much is balance something that can be trained, and what are some ways to work on balance off-ice?

Very much so. Three years ago, my backward skating was okay, but I couldn't do crossovers to save my life. I figured out pretty quickly that it was a balance issue and worked on one leg backward glides till I was able to go a good distance. Within a year my backward skating improved to an unprecedented degree.

As far as off ice stuff, I do weight training three days a week, and for the ten+ years I'd been at it, my leg days had been founded on the typical squat/deadlift routine. When I realized that one leg balance was an issue - and that most skating pushes use only one leg at a time - I switched my primary exercises to ones that focused on single leg training - weighted lunges, step ups, lateral hops, etc... That helped a ton all on its own, both with balance and my stride (far more within several months than had ten years of two leg workouts). On top of that, and since you have a shooting pad, things like stick handling practice on one leg at a time, or even while hopping on one leg. Basically, any activity that requires you to balance on one leg - especially if it forces you to do something else at the same time - is going to improve your balance on one leg.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

backward crossovers are over-used in beer league hockey because they're hella fun. notice the defender in the video only does two crossovers the entire time

That is sort of misleading though - he comes out of the offensive zone having already accelerated to match the forward's speed. If you have the time and room to do that, great. It's when you don't, or when you have to suddenly move laterally, that those crossovers come in handy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, backwards crossovers are still irrelevant because we all know that defensemen pinch 100% of the time so if they need to build up speed they're doing forward strides trying to catch up.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My team captain has what I like to call the "Rob Hattrick": A bad pinch, a blocked slapshot from the point, and a roughing minor. He basically gets a Rob Ovechtrick every game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My captain's hat trick is taking at least three 3-minute shifts in one game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Dangerllama posted:

Jeremy Weiss has a new video out about defending 1-on-1s. My mind just kind of exploded a little because I'm Captain Huge Swinging Stick Check, and he goes over why that's a pretty lovely defensive strategy.

You, and your kind make me so angry as a defenseman. I do pretty much all he explains to do on a 1-on-1 and I rarely get beat, but another couple guys on my team are Captain Huge Swinging Stick Check, and they get beat more often than not. Often in embarrassing fashion, and leads to a goal.

Now, to get them to watch this video...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My captain's hat trick is taking at least three 3-minute shifts in one game.

Let me guess, he's also the guy on your team most liable to yell at guys to take shorter shifts.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Ha, I have a lovely guy hatrick on my team too. His is, be completely out of position in the defensive zone. On the bench, tell you where you should be in the defensive zone. "Backcheck" through the neutral zone gliding, while standing straight up, and with his stick held across his waist. Then for the foursome he'll also yell at guys to skate when they aren't back checking hard enough.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

Ha, I have a lovely guy hatrick on my team too. His is, be completely out of position in the defensive zone. On the bench, tell you where you should be in the defensive zone. "Backcheck" through the neutral zone gliding, while standing straight up, and with his stick held across his waist. Then for the foursome he'll also yell at guys to skate when they aren't back checking hard enough.

Christ, is his name Edwin?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

Very much so. Three years ago, my backward skating was okay, but I couldn't do crossovers to save my life. I figured out pretty quickly that it was a balance issue and worked on one leg backward glides till I was able to go a good distance. Within a year my backward skating improved to an unprecedented degree.

As far as off ice stuff, I do weight training three days a week, and for the ten+ years I'd been at it, my leg days had been founded on the typical squat/deadlift routine. When I realized that one leg balance was an issue - and that most skating pushes use only one leg at a time - I switched my primary exercises to ones that focused on single leg training - weighted lunges, step ups, lateral hops, etc... That helped a ton all on its own, both with balance and my stride (far more within several months than had ten years of two leg workouts). On top of that, and since you have a shooting pad, things like stick handling practice on one leg at a time, or even while hopping on one leg. Basically, any activity that requires you to balance on one leg - especially if it forces you to do something else at the same time - is going to improve your balance on one leg.

Awesome ideas, thanks. I've been doing some unweighted one leg squats at home but I'll try incorporating the one leg stuff into my stickhandling practice as well.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Dangerllama posted:

I've never met a coach that teaches player to swipe/sweep check. Sweep checks seem to happen because players do it instinctively: it feels like covering more ice would be better, but it's really not. Sweep checks are hugely telegraphed, slow to come out, slow down your stride, and leave your stance wide open to put the puck through.

Poke checks feel harder because they require precision but are great. They come out fast and return fast if you miss, and with some practice, you can do them without breaking stride. Keeping your hand on/in front of your hip is huge, it lets you really "fire" the poke check and makes your reach deceptive.

And I wouldn't follow up on the 1-on-1 like the player did/the videographer suggests unless you're playing on a team where each player knows how to cover everyone else's responsibilities. You can do that at World Juniors, but I wouldn't do it with beginners.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

Let me guess, he's also the guy on your team most liable to yell at guys to take shorter shifts.

ding ding ding!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Habibi posted:

Christ, is his name Edwin?

Nope, but I'm guessing he plays a similar game.

As far as D chat goes the one thing I remember being taught is that your stick is the secondary method to breaking up the play. Just like the video said, keep a close gap so that your stick is close enough to poke check but keep your eyes up and use your body to break up the play. If your poke check breaks it up then that's great but don't rely on it, play the body. A little tougher to play that effectively without a penalty in no check leagues but it is possible.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
The thing that always gets me on backchecks is that usually I am skating hard to overtake the opponent (the most likely situation is that I'm playing forward but D got hung up/fell down/bad line change/etc. so I'm the 1st one back; in a mixed-level league I may just need to skate that hard to keep up with the play) so it's pretty trivial for them to just stop short and go around me. I can stop well, but it's always harder being reactive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bigbillystyle posted:

Nope, but I'm guessing he plays a similar game.

As far as D chat goes the one thing I remember being taught is that your stick is the secondary method to breaking up the play. Just like the video said, keep a close gap so that your stick is close enough to poke check but keep your eyes up and use your body to break up the play. If your poke check breaks it up then that's great but don't rely on it, play the body. A little tougher to play that effectively without a penalty in no check leagues but it is possible.

When I played D in ball hockey it was body > stick > ball in order of what you're interested in controlling. My goalie just said if I stop the body, the ball rolls to him or the corner and I did my job. If I tie up the stick the ball rolls to him or the corner and I did my job. If I manage to get the ball I did my job. But what I shouldn't do is make a play for the ball when it's so much safer to play body and stick first. Our league was also no checking but that didn't mean you couldn't get in the way as long you weren't stepping into guys.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I know we had some jock chat a few pages ago but does anyone else have a pair of Shock Doctor 362s? I just got a pair and has to take them off after about 30 seconds. The cup does not work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Against most skaters I see, any play on the body with people moving at speed sounds like a great way to destroy a knee or start a shouting match. Dudes are either bad skaters not familiar with close play (myself included) or super sensitive to anything that isn't pushing and shoving in front of the crease.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DeNofa posted:

I know we had some jock chat a few pages ago but does anyone else have a pair of Shock Doctor 362s? I just got a pair and has to take them off after about 30 seconds. The cup does not work.

I got the 280 a few months back (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shock-doctor-ultra-hockey-jock-280.html), and it is loving awesome - but yeah, the actual cup that came with it is not very comfortable, so I replaced it with the cup from my old loose Reebok jock shorts.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Against most skaters I see, any play on the body with people moving at speed sounds like a great way to destroy a knee or start a shouting match. Dudes are either bad skaters not familiar with close play (myself included) or super sensitive to anything that isn't pushing and shoving in front of the crease.

Again my experience is with shoes on my feet so it's a bit different, but body play typically didn't actually result in contact that often as much as it meant prioritizing taking up the space that the attacker wants and making them head somewhere less optimal. I've already noticed how much harder this is on skates at the beginner level though when people have a much harder time changing speed and direction.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Habibi posted:

I got the 280 a few months back (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shock-doctor-ultra-hockey-jock-280.html), and it is loving awesome - but yeah, the actual cup that came with it is not very comfortable, so I replaced it with the cup from my old loose Reebok jock shorts.

I have this exact pair. I love not using tape on my hockey socks because of the garter and the compression keeps the cup snug. They rule

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

Again my experience is with shoes on my feet so it's a bit different, but body play typically didn't actually result in contact that often as much as it meant prioritizing taking up the space that the attacker wants and making them head somewhere less optimal. I've already noticed how much harder this is on skates at the beginner level though when people have a much harder time changing speed and direction.

I would agree with this. When I'm pushing someone to the outside, I'm not literally pushing her. I'm just making it hard for her to go somewhere else.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol:

The goalie for my silver team got a tattoo of our logo on his leg. Now that's some goddamn dedication.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Habibi posted:

I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Habibi posted:

I wear the long pants (272 I guess) and the cup that came with them was too small. So I bought one that fits, and it's too big for the built-in cup pocket. So I wind up wearing a jock over them anyways. v:shobon:v

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

I guess I can see that being troubling at the beginner level, and I can see how stick checks and poke checks are also way more effective at the beginner level. But just to be sure, I'm not talking about like stopping short and blowing the guy up. It can just be simply matching speed with the guy and slowly closing the gap while you're both still moving and getting in his way until you bump into each other. If people are going to get mad about it then let them get mad. A little bump is a great play. I can see it drawing more penalties at the beginner level since a light bump might be enough to knock somebody over and make it look way worse than it is but there is an effective way to play the body without highlight reel open ice checks.

E: I play a pickup with some guys that are closer to beginner level players and they love it when I rough them up a little bit since they don't play in leagues or anything. I can do it in a fairly controlled manner but from what I have seen most guys can take a little bit of rough play as long as they are good, clean plays.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 28, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

E: I play a pickup with some guys that are closer to beginner level players and they love it when I rough them up a little bit since they don't play in leagues or anything. I can do it in a fairly controlled manner but from what I have seen most guys can take a little bit of rough play as long as they are good, clean plays.

Well, also, it sounds like you grew up playing checking hockey? Most beginner guys like it when someone who knows what they're doing from check hockey plays physical. It's a different story when it's some fellow beginner who knows gently caress-all and is just making unpredictable and counter-productive physical contact like a moron.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bigbillystyle posted:

I guess I can see that being troubling at the beginner level, and I can see how stick checks and poke checks are also way more effective at the beginner level. But just to be sure, I'm not talking about like stopping short and blowing the guy up. It can just be simply matching speed with the guy and slowly closing the gap while you're both still moving and getting in his way until you bump into each other. If people are going to get mad about it then let them get mad. A little bump is a great play. I can see it drawing more penalties at the beginner level since a light bump might be enough to knock somebody over and make it look way worse than it is but there is an effective way to play the body without highlight reel open ice checks.
Seriously, this is a legit defensive play. I've done it in every non-checking game I've played D in, and I do it without pads on when I coach teenagers.

No check hockey should have as much contact as basketball. You're not lighting someone up, but there will be body on body.

prom candy posted:

When I played D in ball hockey it was body > stick > ball in order of what you're interested in controlling. My goalie just said if I stop the body, the ball rolls to him or the corner and I did my job. If I tie up the stick the ball rolls to him or the corner and I did my job. If I manage to get the ball I did my job. But what I shouldn't do is make a play for the ball when it's so much safer to play body and stick first. Our league was also no checking but that didn't mean you couldn't get in the way as long you weren't stepping into guys.

Never heard it put that way before, but I like it. I'd say ice > body > stick > ball, though. If you control the ice and make the guy take a low-angle outside shot without ever touching him, then you've made the goalie's life much easier.

edit: Have the newer players here been taught about shooting angles? Massively important concept in ice hockey.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think when I said body it really meant body + ice, as in keep their body out of the ice they want. Your wording is better though for sure. I'd like to hear more about shooting angles if you have time.

Had some fun at shinny after our learn to play class today. I wheeled around a guy for a breakaway (which I shot center mass, gently caress) and split the defense on another play. Nothing too fancy because everyone is pretty new but I really felt in control of the puck when I had it, which was great. Of course right after my breakaway attempt when we reset in the zone I started to try to skate backwards and caught my blade on some poo poo ice and fell right on my rear end.

I managed to do some short one-foot backwards glides today though and I also got some good lift with that PM9 that I was hemming and hawing about. I cut another inch off of it so it's just below my chin and it feels good. The advice in this thread has been on point!

This is the worst part of the week now though because I won't be playing again til next Saturday morning :(

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

PFlats posted:

edit: Have the newer players here been taught about shooting angles? Massively important concept in ice hockey.

Speaking for myself, not ever. The only time I have heard the word "angle" out of a coach's mouth is a few weeks ago when I guess I accidentally got my fat self in the way of the good ones on several plays.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

This is the worst part of the week now though because I won't be playing again til next Saturday morning :(

I've got my first game in two weeks tonight at 9pm. I've been mildly sick the last few days with one of those colds where you cycle through the symptoms, and of course today I entered the painful coughing phase. Hockey gods my rear end.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Speaking for myself, not ever. The only time I have heard the word "angle" out of a coach's mouth is a few weeks ago when I guess I accidentally got my fat self in the way of the good ones on several plays.

I've never received formal instruction, but I probably picked up on the idea just from PBP chatter while watching games as a kid. That, and thinking on it, the other sports I've played competitively or at a somewhat high level have been soccer (where I was a goalie), badminton, and tennis - so angles are a pretty familiar concept.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 28, 2015

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Well, also, it sounds like you grew up playing checking hockey? Most beginner guys like it when someone who knows what they're doing from check hockey plays physical. It's a different story when it's some fellow beginner who knows gently caress-all and is just making unpredictable and counter-productive physical contact like a moron.

That's true I played contact hockey from youth to the little bit of club hockey I played in college so I guess I'm looking at it from a different angle than if I were a beginner playing against beginners and there wasn't any real contact hockey experience on either side.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

I've got my first game in two weeks tonight at 9pm. I've been mildly sick the last few days with one of those colds where you cycle through the symptoms, and of course today I entered the painful coughing phase. Hockey gods my rear end.

I played sick as gently caress last week. I don't miss hockey. My girlfriend played with what turned out to be the beginning of H1N1 a few years ago. Can't recommend that but hockey's pretty good for a cold, gets all your snots running smooth again.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

I played sick as gently caress last week. I don't miss hockey. My girlfriend played with what turned out to be the beginning of H1N1 a few years ago. Can't recommend that but hockey's pretty good for a cold, gets all your snots running smooth again.

Oh I plan to be there. It's just going to be unpretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

I've never received formal instruction, but I probably picked up on the idea just from PBP chatter while watching games as a kid. That, and thinking on it, the other sports I've played competitively or at a somewhat high level have been soccer (where I was a goalie), badminton, and tennis - so angles are a pretty familiar concept.

Oh, yeah, some of my problems probably come from growing up when Title IX was still getting ironed out and AYSO had not yet completed world domination.