Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've started calling that area the Rath Dining Table

It's Rathalos in the Fire Sea, aka Bowser 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Someone over on reddit put together a really good Palico guide. It covers recruiting, catte skills, and so on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrzx3ugu3gret58/palico_guide.pdf?dl=0

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

There are some seriously cool weapon models for excavated equipment. I found a lance that's a banner! When I first started and got the same weapon models a buncha times in a row, I assumed they were all just one model for each weapon type, but I was super wrong. I wonder if there's a list of the available models anywhere.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Quick question. Since I'm having a hell of a time getting a Yian Garuga G-Rank guild quest could I just do my HR Garuga quest to level it up a bunch instead? Will it eventually start dropping G-Rank parts or just get harder and still drop HR stuff?

e: Alternately if anyone has a GR Garuga quest they want to share that would be nice.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2015

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Crowbear posted:

Quick question. Since I'm having a hell of a time getting a Yian Garuga G-Rank guild quest could I just do my HR Garuga quest to level it up a bunch instead? Will it eventually start dropping G-Rank parts or just get harder and still drop HR stuff?

It eventually becomes G rank, and gives g rank parts, and then will go even higher than G.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Dear posting palicoes:

The 3DS theme shop now has two monster hunter themes and one is meownster hunter themed. Get going.

e: these

Sard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 28, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow I was kind of scared about Monoblos but that was really easy. No status effects or tricks and spends very little time burrowed underground compared to that shark fucker -- didn't even go through half a stack of potions

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been killing high rank Seltas Queen to get S Queen Concentrate and it's such a weird fight. It looks like it's wounded within like the first 2 minutes but then it limps around from area to area for like the next 15 minutes refusing to die

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong or something, I haven't actually tried capturing it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So I'm getting into HR and from what I can tell I should get earplugs because approximately 6 out of every 10 seconds in every battle consists of the monster standing there roaring and me standing there reeling.

Pesayeth
Feb 28, 2015

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So I'm getting into HR and from what I can tell I should get earplugs because approximately 6 out of every 10 seconds in every battle consists of the monster standing there roaring and me standing there reeling.

Ear Plugs are definitely a very nice skill to have while learning a monster's moves and attacks, however many of the monsters' roars are able to "dodged" by rolling at the correct time, and eventually the desire for ear plugs lessens. If you have the space in slots or they come with other skills on some armor you want, it's definitely not a wasted skill to pick up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been killing high rank Seltas Queen to get S Queen Concentrate and it's such a weird fight. It looks like it's wounded within like the first 2 minutes but then it limps around from area to area for like the next 15 minutes refusing to die

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong or something, I haven't actually tried capturing it.
Actually yeah anyone have an answer for this? Limping is pretty obvious on most monsters but not so much for this girl.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Earplugs is the best skill in the game entirely because of this.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Pierson posted:

Actually yeah anyone have an answer for this? Limping is pretty obvious on most monsters but not so much for this girl.

It has a weird walking animation that kinda looks like limping, the actual limp is way more exaggerated. Also I think it'll make a wounded sound as it walks? Most monsters do that. There's a couple monsters that have weird walking animations that constantly fool me. Nerscylla is one. Especially in the desert dunes where Nerscylla has this weird behavior where it'll start in the big large desert area, then switch to the area north of that, then switch almost immediately to the next area for some reason, but not actually be capturable. I would think it would be because it's hungry, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't eat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know 20% Affinity is roughly analogous to a 5% damage increase in the long term. Is that the same as saying "multiply your weapon's raw by 1.05" as far as comparing it to other weapons goes?

I'm looking at the Gore Magala line of hammers and comparing them to the Gravios/Basarios line, for example.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

goferchan posted:

I think I did the double velocidrome high rank hunt (which isn't that much harder than low rank) two or maybe three times for a full set of Velociprey S armor
you need something from hr basarios for the gloves which is preventing me from making them right now. the rest is easy though

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Things are finally starting to click with me, I don't know if it's just that I was pretty terrible with the Long Sword but since switching to the Great Sword I'm having a far better time. Kecha Wachas are just pieces of meat to me now and I'm having a lot of fun since switching weapon types. I've watched a bunch of tutorials by a dude called Arekkz Gaming on Youtube though and I'm kinda realising how simplistic the GS is in comparison to the other weapon types.

Still yeah, this game owns.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ciaphas posted:

I know 20% Affinity is roughly analogous to a 5% damage increase in the long term. Is that the same as saying "multiply your weapon's raw by 1.05" as far as comparing it to other weapons goes?

I'm looking at the Gore Magala line of hammers and comparing them to the Gravios/Basarios line, for example.
Yes.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
So after playing 2 rounds with pu boys where they grabbed all the supplies I decided the 3rd hunt would be the last. Our target was a frenzied Gravious and he gassed everyone else with sleeping gas as he was dying. So while everyone is on the ground crying for help I am just standing 5 feet away carving ignoring them. The amount of bitching was worth the frustration the previous 2 rounds.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Awesome! posted:

you need something from hr basarios for the gloves which is preventing me from making them right now. the rest is easy though

Huh? I haven't fought him and I'm wearing the gloves

edit: if you're looking on kiranico I think the site's still incomplete. You can get heavenly crystal from mining in high rank everwood, same place you fight the two 'dromes

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 28, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Awesome! posted:

I'm assuming you mean the heavenly crystals? You can get those from mining in HR expeditions, which includes the quest to kill two Velocidromes. Kirinico is wrong about this one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy hell I think I just launched someone into a mount with my hammer. :stwoon:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Awesome! posted:

I just made HR GJaggi gloves and get the same bonus with a gem.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Holy hell I think I just launched someone into a mount with my hammer. :stwoon:

Yeah any weapon which can send people flying up into the air can do The Fastball Special and its amazing every time it happens.

I wonder if you get iframes if you get launched, I could swear I've been launched through stuff that should have hit me but it's kinda hard to tell whats going on at that point :v:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Cronodoculous posted:

There are some seriously cool weapon models for excavated equipment. I found a lance that's a banner! When I first started and got the same weapon models a buncha times in a row, I assumed they were all just one model for each weapon type, but I was super wrong. I wonder if there's a list of the available models anywhere.

It changes based on the monster that's listed on the exploration. There was a list somewhere but I forget where, I think it might have been the wiki.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

goferchan posted:

Huh? I haven't fought him and I'm wearing the gloves

edit: if you're looking on kiranico I think the site's still incomplete. You can get heavenly crystal from mining in high rank everwood, same place you fight the two 'dromes

ping's is wrong too then. good to know, thanks.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Uh Apex seregios :stonk:

E: what a friggen knock down drag out fight. Seregios is pretty quickly becoming one of my favorite new monsters.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Are there any must-have greatswords? I'm in the later parts of high rank right now.

That online Dah'ran urgent quest is such a joke.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 28, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any way to focus on certain scraps? Right now I only have one HR path open at a time, and I'm not even sure what I'd have them fight to get handsome scrap+ (which is what I need).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

victrix posted:

I wish I had known about DS grips before :cripes:

I was resigned to waiting a year or two for a console release, then this game went from 'gently caress I wish I could play without horrible hand pain' to 'MONSTER HUNTER! :neckbeard:'

Now I'm two weeks behind all the goon hunters :saddowns:

How much of this game is online only?
You can play the entire game offline, all the online stuff is optional offline. Gaijin from the tutorial videos in the OP actually prefers to play solo. Going online is fun though too, so just do whatever.

That's the game in the nutshell: do whatever.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Awesome! posted:

ping's is wrong too then. good to know, thanks.

It's not that it's wrong it's just that it can't list drop tables for a randomly generated location, I assume.

In other news, was hunting online and absolutely nobody can defeat Pink Rathian and that's all anyone ever wants to do. Sigh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Man the HR story was really strung together by not really a whole lot. I know that's pretty standard monster hunter, but considering how well the LR story was, it was a but of a bummer to not have something more.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Man the HR story was really strung together by not really a whole lot. I know that's pretty standard monster hunter, but considering how well the LR story was, it was a but of a bummer to not have something more.

I really liked it save for the kinda anemic ending fight.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno if the HR Seltas Queen set is any good or not but man it looks amazing

It comes with stamina recovery down so I had to waste most of the gem slots getting rid of that. But it also gave me razor sharp and I was able to use a couple of gems and a charm I had to get artillery god which I guess is good since I use Gunlance? I guess I'll have to see if it makes much of a difference. I haven't really been paying much attention to the skills outside of making sure I don't have anything negative

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Stormgale posted:

I really liked it save for the kinda anemic ending fight.

I thought it was not nearly as good, and that kushala was just kind of just there and not threatening at all. I expected him to become frenzied which would have tied it together a bit and made it more interesting

Either way, I don't play this game for the story!

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Drythe posted:

It changes based on the monster that's listed on the exploration. There was a list somewhere but I forget where, I think it might have been the wiki.

Oh crap you're right, I found it. I can't believe I didn't find it before.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Relic_Weapons

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, this is exactly what I've been looking for.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How good is Adrenaline?

Finally made HR Monoblos armor. I'd gotten a 3 slot charm while out grinding Firecell Stones, and oddly enough it had a 2 point Potential boost. Only took one gem to get Adrenaline to +2 and it only took a double slot to do it, which means I had enough space to gem in Speed Sharpening and boost to Attack Up XL.

Whether or not Adrenaline is good, that's not bad for 8* offline HR! I went from like 180 defense on my Sharpness+1, Speed Sharpening LR set to 385 with damage being boosted over 100 points.

...Which is good because I know Seregios is right around the corner. He's still terrifying to me, but at least he won't be chewing off half my life bar in one hit now.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Adrenaline is great, so long as you can keep yourself in that under 40% health range and be safe about it. It gets a little messed up when other hunters drop a group heal on you, but that's just how it goes.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Casnorf posted:

Hunting Horns are the One True Weapon.

This man understands. Hunting Horns help you carry less poo poo in your pockets, have a steady stream of DPS with great attack animations, and are super badass. Plus everyone online loves you!

I used to be a Hammer man. But why would I use a regular hammer when I can make tunage with a mummified Khezu mouth? Talk about a blunt instrument. :magical:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It's Rathalos in the Fire Sea, aka Bowser 2

I'm calling it that from now on. :laugh:

I have had two Gravios fights end because he was so low on health a small monster killed him. First time it was Jaggia, now it was a Genprey. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
first big DLC Pack coming March 6th:

Link: armor set, SnS, Bow
The first 'episode quest' quests based on NPCs from older games with new equipment relevant to the NPC and the history of them from the older games. (They mentioned a fight on a boat?)
The 2 capcom unity item design contests from last year Poogie Horn, and mechanized IG
And the start of Universal Studios Japan item packs coming to american versions.

EDIT: also, DLC will drop first friday of every month for the foreseeable future, and will always be 100% free.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/28/nintendo-voice-chat-live-ranking-the-top-10-3ds-games

about 53minutes in.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread